Mercedes-Benz: C-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:44 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
Where are you moving to and how much does a C300 sell there for?
Vienna and don't really care cause I wouldn't get a Euro spec car. If anything I'd buy through Euro delivery (or dip/military sales) of a US spec car and then bring it back to the US when I eventually move back there. As of now I won't have a car at all - just the bike.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
In my opinion buying a C300 is the same as buying a 328i BMW, you're a badge-whore and you're paying decent money for a car that compared to absolutely anything else is a terrible car.
Not true.

It makes sense to buy the cheapest model in a luxury maker's line because you mostly get to do without the extra power an upper model in the lineup offers, like the C350 or C63 for example.

In the case of the 300, because the car is not slow by any means, then you get all of the rest of the benefit a, less than one year old, MB offers. It's absolutely unbelivable ridgidity, the quality and attention of detail in everything inside and out, its technology that only MB in some cases offers in such high performance levels. Everything you touch in the C-class says quality.

CharlieMike I have not driven the new CTS but I was dissapointed by its interior when I sat in a couple in the Chicago Show. Overall the car does not exude quality, especially inside, as much as a C does. And compared to the A5's interior, even worse so.

BTW I sat in an S8 when I tested the Audis and was blown away! These guys are doing miracles at Audi interior-wise. You feel like you sit on a high tech throne.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I wonder how a C200 drives. Torque-wise it's almost up there with the C300.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:50 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Doesnt the 300 have memory seats? I dont remember.
nope. not even an option. the c350 doesnt have them either.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:58 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
nope. not even an option. the c350 doesnt have them either.
Wow, really?

I'm really surprised, this is one of those "little details" that really matter. Nothing like letting someone else drive your car, then you spend the next few days trying to figure out what your original ideal seating position was. Even Acura has memory seats!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:14 AM
fap fap fap

thats what im sayin... i expect a benz to at least have these things optional... memory seats, backup camera, smart key, mirror that tilts down in reverse... new c class doesnt offer any of these
Old 02-25-2008, 03:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
But at what rpm band ? It makes big difference in terms of feels and driverability, as well as acceleration performance.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Surprised that the new C doesn't have memory seats. Hell, my 2003 C32 had them.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
In my opinion buying a C300 is the same as buying a 328i BMW, you're a badge-whore and you're paying decent money for a car that compared to absolutely anything else is a terrible car.
Ahh 17-year olds. We get drunk and feel a few titties and suddenly we're positively teeming with wisdom.

You drive an Acura TL. Et Tu, Brutus?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

After reading about Audi's 3.0TDi, if I were you, I'd go diesel
Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Ahh 17-year olds. We get drunk and feel a few titties and suddenly we're positively teeming with wisdom.
I am entitled to an opinion, right? I think for what the C300 costs you, you could easily get a nice Japanese car with better performance specs. That's all I'm saying. There are some German cars that are absolutely worth a premium over a competing Japanese model, though those are getting few and far between with the GT-R, and deserve the price people will pay for them. Sorry for voicing my feelings on the matter.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
you could easily get a nice Japanese car.
"...a nice Japanese car."

Isn't that, well, kind of an oxymoron?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I am entitled to an opinion, right? I think for what the C300 costs you, you could easily get a nice Japanese car with better performance specs. That's all I'm saying. There are some German cars that are absolutely worth a premium over a competing Japanese model, though those are getting few and far between with the GT-R, and deserve the price people will pay for them. Sorry for voicing my feelings on the matter.
LOL, dude I was 17 once too

It depends on the Japanese model. Some people are badge-whores ... They buy Mercedes because of the Silver Star and never look at anything else. There are others that buy a base C300 for $33k because they can take it to a dealer where (in theory) they don't have to have a greasemonkey work on their C-class one minute and a $15k Honda Fit the next.

The assumption is that they will get better service ... Though I don't believe that is true ... You can get just about everything you'd get in a base C300 on a Hyundai Azera for about $7k less. But you won't have to deal with sitting around a dealer for hours waiting for your car at many Mercedes dealers like you would a Hyundai dealer because of free loaners. And Hyundai Excel owners and Mercedes owners don't really mix well together
Old 02-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If you measure performance as acceleration, then yes. But a car is a lot more than how quickly the stopwatch showed it accelerated. At this point most cars accelerate quickly enough. There are other things buyers want.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

LOL, dude I was 17 once too

It depends on the Japanese model. Some people are badge-whores ... They buy Mercedes because of the Silver Star and never look at anything else. There are others that buy a base C300 for $33k because they can take it to a dealer where (in theory) they don't have to have a greasemonkey work on their C-class one minute and a $15k Honda Fit the next.

The assumption is that they will get better service ... Though I don't believe that is true ... You can get just about everything you'd get in a base C300 on a Hyundai Azera for about $7k less. But you won't have to deal with sitting around a dealer for hours waiting for your car at many Mercedes dealers like you would a Hyundai dealer because of free loaners. And Hyundai Excel owners and Mercedes owners don't really mix well together

It's not just the post-sale service. There is so much more you get from a true premium car. In the case of the Azera and the C-Class. I mean, for example, let's say both claim a CD player. I am sure the CD player in the C is better. Both claim ESP. I bet the ESP in the C performs better. They both claim ABS brakes, there is ABS and then there is ABS. Especially when the inventor/pioneer in ABS brakes happens to be MB (although my point is not to praise the company but the C300).

Even more basic than that, both claim brakes, I am sure the C Class' brakes feel better and perform better.

A car is a large series of subsystems. And the quality of each and their harmony with each other is what gives the driver the value a car provides. There are many automobile manufactureres but few can build a car consistenly "right". Whatever that means for any of us.

That's why in the end, it's about you getting into a given car and test-driving it and then you know what does it for you. Being sold on a car from just reading every review on it, tells half the story.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
it's because the C300 has "soul"
Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I dont know if it's soul, what I felt was that this car does pretty much everything right and it's priced very well for what it provides. It's almost a steal.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not just the post-sale service. There is so much more you get from a true premium car. In the case of the Azera and the C-Class. I mean, for example, let's say both claim a CD player. I am sure the CD player in the C is better. Both claim ESP. I bet the ESP in the C performs better. They both claim ABS brakes, there is ABS and then there is ABS. Especially when the inventor/pioneer in ABS brakes happens to be MB (although my point is not to praise the company but the C300).

Even more basic than that, both claim brakes, I am sure the C Class' brakes feel better and perform better.

A car is a large series of subsystems. And the quality of each and their harmony with each other is what gives the driver the value a car provides. There are many automobile manufactureres but few can build a car consistenly "right". Whatever that means for any of us.

That's why in the end, it's about you getting into a given car and test-driving it and then you know what does it for you. Being sold on a car from just reading every review on it, tells half the story.
Great way to put it That certainly puts it in a different perspective for me. Thank you.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I dont know if it's soul, what I felt was that this car does pretty much everything right and it's priced very well for what it provides. It's almost a steal.
Wow, a steal? That's a bold statement!

One major gripe I have with the C300 is the packages. I think it's pretty unanimous that xenon headlights are a popular option, but if you want them, that'll cost you $4100 dollars. That's right, MB bundles it with the P2 package which requires the P1 package. Retarded IMO

Price adds up with the quickness once you start putting options in there that you'd think come with a luxury car. Xenons, heated seats, automatic transmission etc etc

All in all, I do think the C300 looks to be a great car, tons better than the last gen POS.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC

One major gripe I have with the C300 is the packages. I think it's pretty unanimous that xenon headlights are a popular option, but if you want them, that'll cost you $4100 dollars. That's right, MB bundles it with the P2 package which requires the P1 package. Retarded IMO

Price adds up with the quickness once you start putting options in there that you'd think come with a luxury car. Xenons, heated seats, automatic transmission etc etc

All in all, I do think the C300 looks to be a great car, tons better than the last gen POS.
Dude, that's North American Marketing for you ... In Europe you can get options a la carte. Here it's packages because the Marketing folks in the NA operations know Americans are generally fuckwits and packages mean $$.

Infiniti makes you get a sunroof to get navigation. What the fucking fuck kind of assbackwards logic is that? What if I don't want a sunroof?

Really is just an infuriating process. BUT, conversely, I think there's usually a many month wait for a car in Europe. I don't think there are vast lots of unsold new cars like here (I could be wrong but that's what I recall) ... But I'd gladly wait if I could order a la carte.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
^

My GF has been looking at the C300 sports and also wanted package 2 (for the bixenons only) with the Multimedia package. Not only that, but adding an automatic to the C300 is also another $1500 dollars.

Total then comes out to $39k for a C300.

She's decided she either

1. can live without the Bixenon headlights, and would rather get a C350 with standard Package 1, standard Auto and the multimedia package for $40.5k.

2. will shell out an extra 3k to get a fully loaded C350 over a C300 with the options she wants.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
^

My GF has been looking at the C300 sports and also wanted package 2 (for the bixenons only) with the Multimedia package. Not only that, but adding an automatic to the C300 is also another $1500 dollars.

Total then comes out to $39k for a C300.

She's decided she either

1. can live without the Bixenon headlights, and would rather get a C350 with standard Package 1, standard Auto and the multimedia package for $40.5k.

2. will shell out an extra 3k to get a fully loaded C350 over a C300 with the options she wants.
And this is why we're stuck with packages unfortunately. A C300 with Auto and Multimedia is about $36,800. If Bi-xenons were a la carte for say, $800 (which I think is what BMW charges) then she's looking at abotu $37,600 for the perfect C300 for her. Instead she's looking at somewhere between $1400 and $6000 extra ... All because Bi-Xenons are not a separate option.

Fucking bullshit if you ask me. She could wait a year, buy a used one for about 25% off and tell MBUSA to go fuck themselves
Old 03-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by nokiaman
It's maybe because I've lived in NA all my life, but I've never quite understood how the europeans coud live with the much smaller engine displacements...
Simple answer: cuz they tax the crap out of gasoline.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC

See I think this is one of the problems. A luxury car should not be a car full of features or gimicks for that matter. A luxury car should be built better, from the ground up, in all ways of measure that matter to a driver and a passenger. Then add features and be more expensive than a worse performer.

The way this C300 drives cannot be matched by anything that costs less. Go drive it. You feel like you are driving one piece of metal. Most MBs drive like that. For anyone to achieve that they need to add a ton more super expensive steel and do research and development that only a few engineering teams on the planet know how to do.

This C Class, at this point, is so refined that one wonders what the purpose of other MBs is, other than more room. The only thing wrong with it is the quality of the materials used to make the interior.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Dude, that's North American Marketing for you ... In Europe you can get options a la carte. Here it's packages because the Marketing folks in the NA operations know Americans are generally fuckwits and packages mean $$.

Infiniti makes you get a sunroof to get navigation. What the fucking fuck kind of assbackwards logic is that? What if I don't want a sunroof?

Really is just an infuriating process. BUT, conversely, I think there's usually a many month wait for a car in Europe. I don't think there are vast lots of unsold new cars like here (I could be wrong but that's what I recall) ... But I'd gladly wait if I could order a la carte.

True. In Europe customer buy cars differently. They do not care ordering the car and waiting up to 6 months for it to arrive. They order it exactly how they wants (or close to that). The American buyer wakes up one morning and says I'll go buy a car today and at the same time get rid of what I drive now. Nothing wrong with it, but we can't have it all.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Simple answer: cuz they tax the crap out of gasoline.
They tax the heck out of gas, cars, tolls and anything that has to do with owning and operating a vehicle. It's super expensive to own a car in Europe at this point.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Subjectively, I'd take a C300 sport over a 328i if that was all the budget allowed.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

See I think this is one of the problems. A luxury car should not be a car full of features or gimicks for that matter. A luxury car should be built better, from the ground up, in all ways of measure that matter to a driver and a passenger. Then add features and be more expensive than a worse performer.

The way this C300 drives cannot be matched by anything that costs less. Go drive it. You feel like you are driving one piece of metal. Most MBs drive like that. For anyone to achieve that they need to add a ton more super expensive steel and do research and development that only a few engineering teams on the planet know how to do.

This C Class, at this point, is so refined that one wonders what the purpose of other MBs is, other than more room. The only thing wrong with it is the quality of the materials used to make the interior.
Wow, I just haven't driven enough cars to know better I guess (and I don't mean that in a snarky way, LOL) ... I was not impressed at all by the C300. And I'm very much a person that values interior ergonomics and material quality ... As soon as I sat in the beige C300 with the tan interior I was going to drive I was turned off.

The tan looks yellow, like what a brand new baseball mitt looks like. The plastics were even more yellow if you can imagine. I have sat in a few cars and thought "wow this is pretty damned nice" ... The Volvo S60R, Audi S5, and Lexus GS are among my favorites for fantastic first impressions.

The C300 drove fine ... There were no rattles or squeaks. Steering was well-boosted but not overly so. The problem lies in the C300 engine/transmission combination. At first I believed it was the transmission which felt a bit thrashy but now I'm beginning to think that the 3L engine is just really not going to win any Ward's awards for best engine.

The bottom line was that while the C350 Sport looks a lot better than the C300, the experience of driving the car made me wonder what has happened to Mercedes.

People may roll their eyes at the notion but I think Mazda's dashboard in my Mazdaspeed is a more attractive one than the Mercedes. The texture used by Mazda gives it a much more appealing surface than the Mercedes.

Perhaps if I saw the C-Class in a dark interior my opinion would be changed ... I really don't think that changes the quality. Just what I can see ...

I'm glad you like it, I wish I had a chance to sit in a car with you and hear what you think about it and why ... Maybe I'm missing things.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
fap fap fap

fyi, c300 sport and c350 sport look exactly the same except the c350 comes with a lip spoiler
Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Drifting

Full Test: 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG

Brute Strength and, Well, What Else Is There?

By Dan Edmunds, Director of Vehicle Testing
Date posted: 03-26-2008

Everything you need to know about the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG is made clear the instant you prod its 451-horsepower V8 engine to life. When the 6.2-liter beast lights off, the engine revs spike in a programmed "look at me" blip before the Merc's idle settles into a deep, throaty burble. Cue the goose bumps.

We haven't yet released the brake or slotted the shift lever into gear, and we're already trying to figure out an angle to finance one of these muscle-bound sport sedans, all $54,625 of it.

But we have to wonder if the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG — essentially a hot-rod C-Class sedan — can possibly deliver the goods in direct proportion to this testosterone-infused exhaust note. There's only one way to find out.

Inspiring Performance
The 90-degree DOHC V8 engine in question displaces 6.2 liters or 379 cubic inches. It has an 11.3:1 compression ratio and variable valve timing. It delivers its 451-hp peak at 6,800 rpm out of a possible 7,200. Torque builds from the basement to a 443 pound-feet peak at 5,000 rpm. That ought to do it.

It's bolted to a seven-speed automatic transmission with three shift modes and two shift paddles on the steering wheel. That adds up to about 12, or something. The traction and stability control systems have three settings, one of which is "Off."

Time to brake-torque this lump to the torque convertor's stall speed and drop the hammer.

The C63 lays rubber through the first three gears — two broad strips of it because our AMG has the limited-slip differential that comes with the optional AMG Performance package.

We're instantly overcome by the strong desire to write, star in and direct a film we'll call, Schutzmann und der Bandit. All we need now is a German analog to Sally Field.

But possible movie investors will want to see numbers. If we restrain ourselves and apply a more delicate touch to the throttle with the three-stage traction control in Sport mode, the tires spin less and the C63 AMG passes through 60 mph in 4.4 seconds on its way to a 12.5-second quarter-mile at 113.7 mph. That ought to keep us clear of old Schutzmann.

It Looks the Part
You won't find a fire-breathing chicken on the hood of our 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. Instead it has two thin longitudinal protuberances that actually make room for a broad, twin-chamber intake plenum, not the cylinder heads.

A less restrictive front grille allows extra cooling air to penetrate the radiator. The products of combustion and the grumble of the rollicking V8 shoot out the back through quad exhaust outlets and a unique rear valance. Words can't describe the glory that is the C63 AMG's unashamed exhaust note at full boil — or partial boil, for that matter. Or even simmer.

More visually striking are the pronounced front fender flares and broadened front bumper cover. A 1.4-inch-wider front track, revised steering geometry and meatier 235/40R18 Pirelli P Zero front tires are to blame for this. A trio of cooling slits sits just ahead of the tires. No rear fender bulges have been added, but the aft wheelwells are fully stuffed with 255/35R18 rubber.

Individually, none of the visual changes to the C63 AMG are radically different from the last C350 Sport sedan we tested. But their combined effect gives the C63 AMG a suitable dose of much-needed street presence.

Track Addict
The unique C63 AMG front suspension changes have been made to help improve steering precision and tire grip at the front. But with the stiffer sport suspension setup that comes with the optional Performance package, our C63 feels "pushy-loose" on the slalom. It understeers past the first couple of cones before small bumps that other cars barely acknowledge tend to pitch this rock-hard suspension sideways. A cone-free run at 68.6 mph takes some doing.

The C63 tends toward push on the skid pad, too, achieving 0.89g. When we try for more with a little throttle (and the stability control off), the tail slithers out and it all goes sideways in clouds of tire smoke. It'll look great on the big screen, though.

Lapping around the ultrasmooth surface of Spring Mountain Raceway in Pahrump, Nevada, the suspension comes into its own. A strategic lift of the throttle as we enter a corner gets the nose pointed toward the apex. As long as we don't overcook it, it's possible to put the throttle down early. On fast sweepers, the Merc likes to carry a sustained tail-out drift. The stopwatch doesn't say it's fast, but it sure is a riot.

You also get impressive-looking six-piston fixed calipers and two-piece "compound" front rotors (aluminum hub, floating cast-iron rotors) with the Performance package. They're drilled and slotted and ventilated, and it all results in 114-foot stops from 60 mph.

We've seen shorter stops with less flamboyant hardware, but our Merc does weigh 3,993 pounds. While we're lapping, bystanders radio in reports of brake smell, but we don't feel any fade. We back off anyway.

Hard Times
On the street, the optional AMG performance suspension that comes with the Performance package is just too bloody hard. Any sort of imperfection is transmitted in the form of a kidney punch through very aggressively bolstered front seats. There's no subtlety or compliance here.

It would be easy to say "Don't buy the AMG Performance package." After all, the standard AMG suspension worked great on a C63 we drove on the track recently, and it still has the tires, forged aluminum wheels, widened track and other chassis improvements.

But then you'd miss out on things we like about the Performance package (the suede-covered steering wheel) and things we need (the limited-slip differential.) After all, two stripes of burned rubber are always better than one. If the differential was available as a stand-alone option, the choice would be easy.

Actually, the choice is easy for early adopters, because the $3,900 AMG Performance package on our test car isn't available until summer 2008 anyway.

Call It a Production Expense
A front-row seat in a 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG costs a surprisingly reasonable $54,625. The Steel Grey Metallic paint that helps toughen our test car's look costs $710 more.

Typical C-Class options are available on the C63 AMG. Ours had the same $2,950 Multimedia package that includes navigation (to help Bandit find shortcuts,) Harman Kardon premium audio, a six-disc changer, 30-gigabyte hard drive, Bluetooth and an iPod connection (to deliver the Jerry Reed tunes.)

TeleAid GPS-based emergency assistance ($650) is there if it all goes pear-shaped. Seat heaters and leather seats that go by the name of AMG napa leather upholstery cost another $2,950.

As it sits, our test car's total price is $65,785, although $3,900 of that is the previously mentioned AMG Performance package that isn't for sale initially. At press time, no word on the possibility of a gas-guzzler tax was available. The C63 AMG is rated at 12 mpg city/19 mpg highway, so it might escape the tax.

This all is starting to get expensive, but it still adds up to less than a Corvette Z06. We're not saying the C63 AMG is as fast or as nimble as a Corvette Z06; it isn't. But this four-door sedan connected with us on a visceral level like no other recent Mercedes has.

We Have a Hit on Our Hands
Like the Bandit's Firebird Trans Am, the C63 AMG is happiest charging from stoplight to stoplight and running from the law. Sinuous back roads are not its thing. While the 451-hp V8 connects with us on a gut level, so does the too-stiff optional performance suspension. Buy this upgrade only if you plan on track days.

To us, the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG is a hoot, which is what the old hot-rod guys would say. Though it lives in a German wrapper, this is classic muscle-car stuff — a big V8 engine with heaps of power and torque to generate speed, not to mention oversteer, brodies and burnouts.

We're serious about the movie. If nothing else, we'll be able to write the car off as a production expense. But Coors isn't German enough. We'll smuggle Jägermeister instead, and Hasselhoff can play the singing truck driver. It'll be a big hit. All we need is a script.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...topanel..2.*#8
Old 09-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
Post 2009 Mercedes-Benz C 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Prime Edition

Press release...

Mercedes-Benz is set to launch a completely new diesel engine generation starting in the autumn of 2008. For its world premiere, the Stuttgart-based car manufacturer will unveil a C-Class model with this new four-cylinder engine. In the C 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Prime Edition, this engine produces, with its 2.2 litres of displacement, 150 kW / 204 hp and 500 Nm of torque. The premiere model can accelerate from a standstill to 100 km/h in just 7.0 seconds, on the way to its top speed of 250 km/h. Notwithstanding these exceptional performance figures, the Prime Edition only consumes an average of 5.2 litres of fuel per 100 km (NEDC), with CO2 emissions of 138 g/km. The engine impresses with its eager responsiveness and smoothness of operation, which can make it a sensible alternative to the higher-displacement six-cylinder engines in future.

The Mercedes-Benz C-Class is a great favourite with the public. Since its official market launch on March 31 2007, over 400,000 buyers have opted for a saloon or an estate from this model series. As a result of this, the C-Class has maintained its position as world-wide market leader in its segment. The new C 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Prime Edition adds a further highlight to this successful model series which has already received numerous distinctions. With the new diesel engine, which celebrates its world premiere in this model, Mercedes-Benz shows that frugal consumption and high output - and with them both environmentally-friendly driving and driving pleasure - can be mutually compatible.

Exemplary figures in terms of power output, consumption and emission characteristics

A displacement of 2143 cc, 150 kW / 204 hp, and 500 Nm of torque - these are the engine's key figures. Figures that place this newly-developed four-cylinder diesel engine in the top position among the diesel engines of its class. At the same time, in the C 250 CDIBlueEFFICIENCY Prime Edition, the engine consumes on average just 5.2 litres of fuel per hundred kilometres (NEDC), a value achieved by no other comparable motor car.

Apart from exceptional power output figures, the new powerplant offers significantly improved torque build-up from low engine speeds, compared to its predecessor model. The benefit of this is that in everyday driving situations it enables low-consumption driving at low engine speeds. In addition, the new engine will assume market leadership in terms of untreated exhaust emissions. Already today, it complies with the future EU5 emissions standards and, beyond that, has the potential to comply with the EU6 and BIN5 standards as well.

Exemplary figures in terms of power output, consumption and emission characteristics are achieved by the new engine thanks to the implementation of a whole package of innovative technologies. This includes among other things:

--a maximum ignition pressure of 200 bar,
--fourth-generation common-rail technology with a rail pressure increased by 400 bar to 2000 bar, as well as a new piezo-injector concept with direct nozzle needle control for greater flexibility in injection timing, leading to smoother running of the engine,
--larger, variable oil spray nozzles and variable water pump,
--dual-stage supercharging.

Another design innovation is the camshaft drive positioned at the rear. This way, with a north-south installation design and engine bonnet rising towards the rear, it is possible to comply even better with pedestrian protection regulations.

A promising future for the new four-cylinder diesel engine

For an engine of its displacement, it is exceptionally compact, so that it can be fitted in different installation spaces. Beginning in 2008, this new four-cylinder diesel engine will replace four of the existing diesel engines at Mercedes-Benz. It can be installed either lengthways or crossways in various model series, and several power rating variants will be available. Apart from the C-Class, the engine will also be installed in the E-Class, in the new GLK-Class and in the future E‑Class Coupé. With its impressive output figures, the new engine will replace higher-displacement engines in heavier vehicles, where it will be able to reduce consumption effectively through this "downsizing".

Ingenious fine detail work reduces consumption

In the Mercedes-Benz C 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Prime Edition the new diesel engine is combined with a sporty six-speed manual transmission with overdrive. This, too, contributes to the great efficiency of the model. Furthermore, Mercedes-Benz engineers have drawn up an additional package of measures in order to achieve the most exceptional consumption figures. The package includes among other things:

-- aerodynamic finishing touches, with particularly airflow-enhancing exterior-mirror housings as well as smooth underbody cladding;
-- newly developed tyres that reduce rolling resistance by 10 percent;
-- an efficient energy-management system with adaptive power steering, which with the help of an additional valve, closes the flow of the power-steering pump when it is not required.

Useful information: new gearshift and consumption display on dashboard

Experience from Mercedes-Benz eco-training shows that the driver, too, can save fuel by adopting an energy-conscious style of driving - and also do that without compromising driving pleasure. In the C 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Prime Edition a newly-developed gearshift display on the dashboard assists the driver by informing him of the best moment to shift gear in order to save fuel. In addition to this gearshift recommendation, the instrument cluster shows the precise current fuel consumption.

Sporty genes, state-of-the-art engineering, extensive equipment and appointments

The basis of the new C 250 CDIBlueEFFICIENCY Prime Edition is the C-Class Saloon of the AVANTGARDE equipment line, in which the sporting genes of the Mercedes-Benz brand come particularly to the fore, most noticeably in the radiator grille with its distinctive louvres and the large, centrally positioned Mercedes star. Among car connoisseurs this design element has been seen, for a long time, as a typical badge of the sportier Mercedes models. Now, in the AVANTGARDE models of the C-Class for the first time the star graces a saloon, as an unmistakable expression of the vehicle's inherent strengths: agility, power and performance, without at the same time neglecting other time-tested C-Class attributes such as safety and long-distance comfort. Aluminium interior trim (optional: bird’s-eye maple) and other stylish details accentuate the sporty, effortlessly superior appearance of this model.

The C 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Prime Edition is equipped with 16-inch light-alloy wheels and 205/55 R16 tyres as standard - in addition to this, 16-inch light-alloy wheels in sporty 7-spoke design (likewise 205/55 R16 tyres) and 17-inch light-alloy wheels in 5-twin-spoke design with wide-base tyres (225/45 R17 at front, 205/40 R17 at rear) are available as no-cost options.

Naturally, all the pioneering technical systems of the C-Class are on board as well: for instance, the AGILITY CONTROL package with situation-responsive shock absorber control, the Intelligent Light System with five different lighting functions and the PRE-SAFE® anticipatory occupant protection system.

The extensive standard equipment also includes the Audio 20 infotainment system. This features, among other things, a keypad to enter telephone numbers and radio frequencies, as well as a Bluetooth interface that connects the mobile phone wirelessly with the hands-free feature. Floormats with the lettering "Prime Edition" draw attention to the special status of the new model.

Prime Edition limited to 5000 units

The C 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Prime Edition model can be delivered in obsidian black, palladium silver or iridium silver. It is also optionally available in the special paint finish diamond white metallic. The sporty appearance can be emphasised even more forcefully with the optional AMG sports package, which includes distinctively-styled front and rear aprons as well as side skirts.

Production of the C 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Prime Edition is limited to 5000 units. It is a consummate performer in terms of its sportiness, environmental protection and economic efficiency. Its price (including VAT) is 40,638.50 euros.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:16 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
If they get the price down to below 40K in the US this would sell well.

Honda needs to get it's 2.2 iCTDi engine to these preformance levels - if it's one thing MB knows, it's diesels.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Rendered: 2012 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe

From Motor Authority: http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...-c-class-coupe

The switch in nomenclature from the CLK to the E-Class Coupe made a bit of a stir when word began to leak last year. And then, the issue was broken back open when it was revealed that the new E-Class Coupe is actually based on the C-Class platform--much like its CLK predecessor. So what, then, of a true C-Class Coupe? This computer-generated rendering shows what it might look like.

The CLC-Class is the current offering in that segment, but it's a three-door liftback and based around the older C-Class Sportcoupe. Though it has undergone a major revamp, it doesn't really match the new lineup, and will likely need to be replaced by the time of the mid-cycle refresh of the current C-Class. Mercedes' decision to fork the CLC off means that the new C-Class Coupe previewed here could also wear CLC-badging, however.

At this point it's all speculation, as Mercedes hasn't confirmed the existence of any plans for a new C-Class Coupe. If it does come along, however, expect powertrain options to fall in line with the rest of the C-Class, including a range of four and six-cylinder gasoline units and, outside the U.S., diesels.

If Mercedes does build a new C-Class Coupe platform, it won't likely be until 2011.

As for a C-Class Convertible, Mercedes is unlikely to offer such a car because of the lower price range the C-Class Coupe is expected to exhibit.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice
Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
these new MBs are all growing on me.

especially the new E, E coupe, and CL.

but all this "nomenclature" is confusing now. same deal with audis.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:58 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
too many models.

but x2 on the MB's growing on me.

i used to think they were so boring looking
Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Saw the new E-Class Coupe yesterday. Yummmmy...
Old 11-18-2009, 10:31 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it really took awhile for me to like it. there's one in my neighborhood and i see every morning on the way to work. it's purty.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
too many models.

but x2 on the MB's growing on me.

i used to think they were so boring looking
I agree with too many models. However, I have always loved MB, I think that all their models are nice, and are just classy. When I think MB I think class, they are just ballin'. I love early 2000s eclass, amg especially
Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
well, it will certainly sell better than the C-Coupe.

a b-pillarless coupe for < 40k is exciting stuff.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: C-Class News