I've got mine

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by Booyah
I dont have mine yet, but when I test drove it I could not get it to change?? I swore I said the exact thing you are stating and it changed the drivers??
I've spent more time with the navi today. It definitely gets some of the voice commands wrong, so you may not be the problem, the navi probably is.

A future option SHOULD be to allow the system to learn your voice. For example, I use ViaVoice for Mac to dictate reports. Before I could use it, I had to spend a total of about two hours teaching the program my voice by reading long passages. This would be much simpler with the navi system--the user could just repeat each phrase one or two times, and that would be it. If there are two drivers, the process is repeated. Again, something for Acura to think about for its next rev of the navi.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:37 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Booyah
One thing I could not get the Voice nav to do is change the A/C temp for the passenger?? I could get it to change the temp for the driver side, but when told to change temp for passenger it always changed the drivers! Granted I didnt look at the voice commands but I tried a few that I thought would work?? So someone with a navi see if you can figure it out?
try speaking the voice command with the "dual" button on. maybe this will help, but not sure....
Old 10-06-2003, 01:43 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Hey VtecMW,

I am also waiting for my 6MT-Navi.

I am looking for the following calculations:

Instant MPG - Not there (In the Accord trip computer)

Average MPG - TL has it, but it rounds to a whole number. Is it rounding up or down? I don't know, but it shouldn't round. (Again, the Accord does this calculation and my wife to this point can see she has averaged 26.7 MPG since she had the car) The TL should also have a decimal point in the number.

Average speed: TL has it, Accord does not.

Distance to empty: Both have it.

Tire pressure monitor: Neither has it.

Overall mileage since last reset: Accord has it, unsure about the TL.

That is about it. I do not think it is too much to ask. My 97 Jeep Cherokee has all of those calculations, except the TPM.

That is about it. The hardware and software probably cost less than $10, IMO.
So what exactly is the TL missing?

The Tire Pressure monitor?

and

Instant MPG

Thats all?

You have been crying for months and looks to me like most of it has been delivered..

Yes AVG MPG is rounding, but it looks like Acura delivered enough to keep you happy!
Old 10-06-2003, 01:47 AM
More On

Originally posted by neuronbob
.....What Larch said. The car feels quite solid to me......
Hey Bob -- I'm not exactly sure what you mean, since I said about three different things!

You were answering a question about noise-vibration-harshness. What I had said was that I thought it was very close to how the TSX is, maybe even no different, I couldn't tell for sure. But my wife, in the passenger seat, disagreed -- she thought the TL was significantly more smooth and comfy. So, I wondered if maybe I was misjudging the TL because of my likely pro-TSX bias. Also I wondered if somehow there's more of a difference from the passenger seat than the driver seat. (Although of course there's all kinds of possible artifact in all of these, including the different seats between the two cars, and the lack of power adjustment of the passenger seat in the TSX which makes it harder to get it "just so.")

So, I would guess that when you say you agree with me, you mean that first part?

P.S. Thanks for all your great opinions on the car.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:23 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by 2004TL
<snip>
Instant MPG
I gotta wonder why any of us really need instant MPG. all it seems to offer is the passing curiousity that we manage 135mpg when coasting down a hill, versus 9mpg when accelerating hard up one. Am I missing something?
Old 10-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Neuronbob,

Now that you've had a few days to drive the car ( lucky bastard ), have you noticed anything else that might be of interest to pass along to the rest of us? Annoying noises, rattles, voice recognition glitches? Cool features you didn't know about before but have since discovered?

Old 10-06-2003, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

A few more pics

More pix. They address issues brought up since my first set, and a few cool items I saw.

they include:

Lack of storage bin space under radio
What the hell Emu is talking about when he's complaining about the trip computer
The infamous sunglass holder, which is rubberized and surprisingly protective when the lower door panel is closed
Hidden hinge
Location of Navi DVD player
The rear air diffuser (got the idea for the shot from TOV, which did a similar shot of a TSX, but it was up on a lift)--it's a aero add-on to move air under the rear bumper

Link and don't hurt Adelphia too much
Old 10-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Neuronbob, let me ask you a question about the fold out map pocket/sunglasses holder. With the door closed, does the map pocket open or does it run into the seat and how easy is it to get your glasses out? I didn't think of this until after I left the dealer and therefore couldn't check it out. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by larchmont
Hey Bob -- I'm not exactly sure what you mean, since I said about three different things!

You were answering a question about noise-vibration-harshness. What I had said was that I thought it was very close to how the TSX is, maybe even no different, I couldn't tell for sure. But my wife, in the passenger seat, disagreed -- she thought the TL was significantly more smooth and comfy. So, I wondered if maybe I was misjudging the TL because of my likely pro-TSX bias. Also I wondered if somehow there's more of a difference from the passenger seat than the driver seat. (Although of course there's all kinds of possible artifact in all of these, including the different seats between the two cars, and the lack of power adjustment of the passenger seat in the TSX which makes it harder to get it "just so.")

So, I would guess that when you say you agree with me, you mean that first part?

P.S. Thanks for all your great opinions on the car.
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I was agreeing with your pointing to the other link, where there were some comments on NVH as well as your excellent comparison with the TSX, which I am probably going to bug my dealer to let me drive soon.

Remember, my standpoint is from having upgraded from the TL-Premium, which itself was a pretty solid car. I believe the claims of 24% better torsional rigidity, this car feels as tight as a drum.

Originally posted by MIA305
try speaking the voice command with the "dual" button on. maybe this will help, but not sure....
Doesn't matter whether the "dual" button is pressed or not.

Originally posted by 2004AcuraTLFan
Now that you've had a few days to drive the car ( lucky bastard ), have you noticed anything else that might be of interest to pass along to the rest of us? Annoying noises, rattles, voice recognition glitches? Cool features you didn't know about before but have since discovered?
One minor rub coming from the center of the dash, but only when I'm on the concrete of a bridge, when everything else is vibrating too. I've observed the tire noise closely too. These EL42s can be noisy, especially on concrete at high speed. Definitely upgrading when these are worn out.

Thanks for the replies, all. You have forced me to learn more about this car in my first few days of ownership than I have about any other car. I'm glad to post the pics as a "public" service because I know not everyone can get a good look at the car during a test drive.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by JeffPhx
Neuronbob, let me ask you a question about the fold out map pocket/sunglasses holder. With the door closed, does the map pocket open or does it run into the seat and how easy is it to get your glasses out? I didn't think of this until after I left the dealer and therefore couldn't check it out. Thanks.
The map pocket fully opens without touching the seat while the door is closed. I can reach my sunglasses easily by feel while the car is moving.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by neuronbob
The map pocket fully opens without touching the seat while the door is closed. I can reach my sunglasses easily by feel while the car is moving.
Cool. I was thinking it would have to since Acura would let something that big split by, but it did cross my mind and I had to ask.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 2004TL

The Tire Pressure monitor?

and

Instant MPG

Thats all?

You have been crying for months and looks to me like most of it has been delivered..

Yes AVG MPG is rounding, but it looks like Acura delivered enough to keep you happy!
Acura came pretty close, but I cannot let the instant ecomony absence slide, because of the rounding of the overall mileage. The TSX and Accord give both!
Old 10-09-2003, 03:36 PM
Cruisin'

Neuronbob - I'm also in the Cleveland area and stopped by Motorcars Acura in Bedford this past weekend. Who did you deal with?
Old 10-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Tried to send a PM, reardley, but your account isn't set up for it. email me and I'll give you the names.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

I picked up my TL on Monday. It got there Sunday, I saw the truck on the interstate headed that way. I followed it. The dealer is closed on Sunday's so all I could do was stay awake all night. I love the car. This is my 7th Honda product. I couldn't think of owning another make. I am super impressed with my stereo. It's not lacking at all. I've found myself going out to the car listening to cd's. I haven't bought a DVD-A disc yet, but I'm going to soon. I love the handling. It's not as tight as I think it could be, but it's a perfect compromise. The ride isn't bouncy, or stiff. Me and my girlfriend had our 1st argument over the car. She wanted to drive it. That's a no-no. She has a '03 Accord. (My choice for her), she now say's she wish she had waited. Anyway, I wanted a wood accented steering wheel, but it wasn't offered. Body-Side molding...Uggghhh!!! Best car I've owned. I really wanted a 6-Speed, but I kept my Integra to play in. The TL is gonna be babied.

2004 Acura TL Navi

Color: Nighthawk Black/ Parchment Leather

Dealer Options:
Moonroof Visor
Wood Shifter
Front Air Dam
Splash Guards
Deck Lid Spoiler (Not Wing)
Door Edge Trim
18" Wheels w/ Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

I've sent the 17's off to be polished. They'll go back on when it get's really cold. If you haven't test driven or seen the car in person. DO IT!!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Cruisin'

Love to see some pictures with all those accessories! Congratulations on you new TL. Sound sweet
Old 10-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

I will. Not had one sunny day yet. I'm waiting to gloss it up. She's just dusty. She stays in the garage. It's funny, I wanna change the lighting out there to spotlighting to highlight it. LOL!!!
Old 10-16-2003, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by dohc89
2004 Acura TL Navi

Color: Nighthawk Black/ Parchment Leather

Dealer Options:
Moonroof Visor
Wood Shifter
Front Air Dam
Splash Guards
Deck Lid Spoiler (Not Wing)
Door Edge Trim
What did you pay for accessories? How is the decklid spoiler installed? Is it do it yourself possible?
Old 10-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Congrats, dohc. Welcome to the club. I think you picked a good color combination, it's what I had on my previous TL. And don't forget the pix!
Old 10-17-2003, 12:31 AM
Cruisin'

How do you like your 18" Wheels w/ Michelin Pilot Sport PS2?
I assume you have the optional Acura OEM 18" wheels, right?
Why Michelins over the Yokohama's?