Infiniti: Q45 news **Flagship Car's Future (page 1)**

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti: Q45 news **Flagship Car's Future (page 1)**

Configuration: VK45DE V8 with molybdenum coated pistons
Valvetrain: DOHC, 4 Valves/Cyl, titanium valves with continuous variable valve timing control
Power: 340 BHP / 253.5 KW @ 6400 RPM
Torque: 333 FT LBS / 451 NM @ 4000 RPM

2005 Infiniti Q45 Debuts At New York International Auto Show With Exterior Enhancements, Performance Refinements

The 2005 Infiniti Q45 premium luxury sedan, which made its debut at the 2004 New York International Auto Show, has been refined for the new model year with a more distinctive, more aggressive exterior appearance, a more indulgent interior and a number of key performance enhancements.

The long list of exterior changes include new front and rear fascias, restyled hood and grille, new headlights and integrated fog lamps, restyled trunk decklid and finisher, LED taillights and new fine-line chrome trim. Inside, the 2005 Q45 adds to its highly luxurious appointments with new sport contour, double-stitched seats, new pure white meter cluster and soft touch control cluster finish, an all-new metal-trimmed shifter bezel and rich genuine dark maple wood and chrome accents.

In addition, the Q45’s advanced 5-speed automatic transmission has been recalibrated for improved downshift response and smoother acceleration. The Q45’s performance-tuned active dampening suspension, previously available only on the Premium Package, is now standard on all 2005 Q45s. A new 17-inch wheel design with a titanium-colored finish is offered on Luxury models.

The 2005 Q45 goes on sale at Infiniti dealers nationwide in July 2004.

Other enhancements for the new model year include standard rain- and speed-sensing windshield wipers, a standard DVD-based Infiniti Navigation system and new patented brake-operated “pre-crash” front seat belts, which tighten under emergency braking to enhance the position of the driver for emergency maneuvering control. It also helps to position the driver and front passenger for potential air bag deployment.

As in previous years, the 2005 Q45 continues to provide a vast array of standard and available performance and technology features, including a 340-horsepower V8 engine, voice-activated controls, a DVD navigation system with a 7-inch LCD information display screen, RearView monitor and one of the most powerful headlight systems in the world. Also available are climate controlled seats, Intelligent Cruise Control with Preview Braking and heated, reclining rear seats.

“Since Infiniti’s inception in 1989, the Q45 has represented Infiniti’s best in style, luxury, performance and technology,” said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti Division. “With the array of enhancements for 2005, the Q45 takes the Infiniti flagship to the next level of premium luxury sedan leadership.”

Restyled Exterior for More Assertive Tone:
The 2005 Q45’s exterior refinements are designed to give it a more aggressive appearance. The changes are led by a new front fascia with a redesigned grille, hood and headlights, and new integrated fog lamps. In the rear are a new fascia, bumper, trunk decklid and LED taillights, while new fine-line chrome trim helps accentuate the entire exterior. Two new metallic exterior colors are also available – Lakeshore Slate (medium blue) and Beryllium (medium brown).

“The exterior modifications bring a new sense of power and athleticism to the Q, along with a stronger family resemblance to our other Infiniti performance vehicles,” said Igo.

The Q45 continues to offer a distinctive, premium performance look that stands out in its class. The car’s sculpted profile features an elegant silhouette, raised rear deck, large taillights, body-color side molding and chrome door handles.

Dimensionally, the 2005 Q45 continues with its long wheelbase (113.0 inches) and wide cabin (72.6 inches) but a manageable overall length (200.8 inches). The Q also offers high aerodynamic efficiency with a 0.30 coefficient of drag.

One of the most striking features of the Q45’s exterior is the large, multi-lens projector High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlight system. Seven individual lenses and a free-surface reflector design combine to provide a wide distribution beam pattern utilizing a large luminous flux. Integrated fog lamps are newly added for 2005.

Invigorating Performance:
As always, the styling of the Q45 gives a strong impression of performance and what’s under the hood clearly delivers on that promise. Standard on every Q45 is Infiniti’s highly regarded 4.5-liter V8, which is also utilized in the Infiniti M45 performance sedan and FX45 premium crossover SUV. In the Q45, this engine produces 340 horsepower and 333 lb-ft of torque.

The engine features titanium valves, modular cylinder heads, microfinished crankshaft, lightweight pistons and super-silent single stage cam drive chain. In addition, the V8 is outfitted with a variable length air induction system and Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS) to enhance the engine’s power delivery and operation efficiency.

The exceptional power of the 4.5-liter V8 is channeled through a high-torque capacity, electronically controlled 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode, which features a short final drive gear ratio of 3.133:1 for strong acceleration feel.

An Electronic Torque-Demand Powertrain Control system manages engine power, throttle position, and the transmission gear selections to optimize performance and smoothness. For 2005, the transmission has been recalibrated to improve downshift response and improved acceleration smoothness.

The Q45’s rigid body and compliant suspension system – 4-wheel independent suspension with a strut front and multi-link rear – provide a smooth, confidence-inspiring handling feeling.

The performance-tuned active damping “RJ” suspension, previously available only with the Premium Package, has been retuned for sportier handling and is now standard on all 2005 Q45s.

Braking is provided by 4-wheel vented discs with anti-lock function. The braking system contains two advanced features which help to increase braking effectiveness and controllability – Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD), which controls front and rear brake distribution depending on load condition (passengers and cargo) and Brake Assist (BA), which senses hard or panic pedal application and helps provide maximum braking capacity.

Also standard on every Q45 is Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), a system that controls brake pressure and engine torque automatically, which helps to improve vehicle stability during understeer, oversteer or adverse road conditions. Optional on the Q45 (included in Premium Package) is Intelligent Cruise Control with Preview Braking, which uses the laser sensors, throttle and brakes to maintain a set distance between the Q45 and a vehicle in front of it.

The Q45’s new 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels are finished in a new titanium color to go with the 225/55R17 V-rated all-season tires (Luxury Model). The Premium Package includes new 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels (also available with chrome finish) and 245/45R18 V-speed rated all-season tires. A Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) is standard on all Q45s. P225/55R17 run flat tires are available on Q45s equipped with 17-inch wheels.

An Indulgent Interior:
The Q45’s lavish interior receives several enhancements in 2005, including new sport contour, double-stitched seats, a redesigned pure white meter cluster with soft touch control cluster finish, real metal knobs, as well as an all-new shifter bezel and revised dark, genuine maple wood and chrome accents.

The Q45’s interior continues to feature the best Infiniti has to offer with a handcrafted look and a high level of convenience features. All interior surfaces are covered in rich textured materials, including soft leather appointments and genuine wood accents. For the driver, the Q’s cockpit features a hand-stitched leather-wrapped steering wheel and large, electro-illuminescent instruments.

The Q45 utilizes an electronic key system, which provides improved security through use of a key-mounted ID transponder that is virtually impossible to copy.

The standard DVD-driven Infiniti Navigation System with a 7.0-inch LCD screen and 3-D Birdview™ display LCD contains mapping for the entire United States on one disc. The LCD monitor is mounted at the highest position on the instrument panel for better visibility and greater operability. The LCD screen is also used to view what’s behind the Q with the standard RearView monitor system. The monitor operates when reverse gear is selected, displaying an image from a small camera mounted near the rear license plate.

The standard Vehicle Information System (VIS) integrates and displays vehicle operation information ranging from audio settings, climate control and maintenance updates to vehicle settings.

Another unique feature found on every Q45 is Infiniti’s Voice Recognition System, developed with second generation Visteon Voice Technology™. It features voice-activated control of the Bose® premium audio system, HVAC system and select navigation system functions, allowing the driver’s hands to stay on the wheel at all times.

The Q45’s 300-watt premium Bose audio system continues to set the bar for factory-installed audio systems. It features eight speakers, including a 12-inch Nd® woofer, an in-dash 6-disc, slot-type CD changer, cassette deck, digital architecture and Bose AudioPilot™ Noise Compensation Circuit Technology. The Q45 Luxury model comes pre-wired for optional satellite radio (with a choice of XM or Sirius service), while the Q45 Premium Package now includes standard satellite radio.

Other features of the Q45’s interior include an instrument panel with fully integrated switchgear, 10-way driver and 8-way front passenger seat with memory and a dual-zone automatic temperature control system. Infiniti’s signature in-dash analog clock adds an elegant touch to the instrument panel.

Rear seat passengers are treated to a high level of luxury, with ample leg and head room creating a comfortable environment. An available power rear sunshade, along with manual rear door window sunshades, eases the heat from the sun. Available power rear seats with adjustable backrest angle and exit assist, as well as an oversize center armrest with rear audio and climate controls, create an exclusive, limousine-like setting for the rear passengers in the Q45 with Premium Package.

The Q45 Premium Package also offers climate controlled seats in the front with ventilated heating and cooling functions (in place of heated seats), perforated leather-appointed seat inserts and driver lockout for the rear audio and HVAC controls.

The climate controlled seats significantly enhance individual passenger comfort in virtually all climatic conditions through a unique active temperature management system. Ambient cabin air is drawn in through a low profile fan located on the bottom of the front seats. From there, the air travels up the back of the seat through a thermo-electric device which conditions or heats the air and sends it through the air distribution channels molded in the foam seating surface. Reticulated foam, sewn into a perforated leather appointments, evenly distributes the conditioned or heated air to the seating surface.

Q45’s standard leather-appointed interior is available in three premium color combinations, Graphite, Latte and a new, dual-tone Black and Firebrick. All are designed to complement the available range of exterior colors.

A Focus On Safety:
The Q45 features myriad standard safety features, including new patented brake-operated “pre-crash” front seat belts, which tighten under emergency braking to enhance the position of the driver for emergency maneuvering control. It also helps to position the driver and front passenger for potential air bag deployment. If there is not a crash, the pre-crash belts return to a normal mode, ready for the next emergency braking situation.

The 2005 Q45 also comes standard with dual-stage supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors that sense collision severity and seat belt usage and deploy accordingly. Front seat occupants also get front-seat active head restraints, which help reduce whiplash neck injuries suffered in certain rear-end collisions.

Front seats are also equipped with supplemental side-impact air bags for enhanced chest protection and side curtain supplemental air bags that deploy from the roof to help protect the heads of both front and rear seat passengers in certain side-impact collisions. All Q45s are also equipped with the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system and the Infiniti Vehicle Immobilizer System, an advanced anti-theft system.

Two Well-Equipped Choices:
The 2005 Q45 Luxury Model comes standard with a full array of luxury and convenience features. For buyers seeking a higher level of equipment, Infiniti also offers a Q45 Premium Package, with a long list of luxurious amenities including new 18-inch 7-spoke sport alloy wheels, 245/45R18 V-rated tires, rear power sunshade and rear door manual sunshades, climate controlled front seats with heating and cooling functions and perforated leather appointments, Intelligent Cruise Control with Preview Braking, and heated power-reclining rear seats with rear controls for audio and HVAC. Chrome-finished 18-inch wheels are also available with the Premium Package.

“The Infiniti lineup has gone through a complete makeover the last few years with the additions of the G35 Sport Sedan and Sport Coupe, M45 performance sedan, FX crossover SUV and most recently, the QX56 full-size luxury SUV. But the flagship has always been the Q45,” said Igo. “The Q45 anchors the lineup and continues to be the most elegant expression of Infiniti.”
Old 04-07-2004, 09:49 AM
The hair says it all

the car isn't the best looking but theres something about it that i love

I really wanna see how bright those headlights are

also, the seats look like they would be heaven to sit in on long drives

is the q supposed to be sporty? whats the difference between the q and the m?
Old 04-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Racer

The interior is ok but I don't really like the exterior. To be honest I don't like real big cars. I guess no car company can match MB exterior.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Python2121
the car isn't the best looking but theres something about it that i love

I really wanna see how bright those headlights are

also, the seats look like they would be heaven to sit in on long drives

is the q supposed to be sporty? whats the difference between the q and the m?
I like the refreshened front. The interior is awesome. That color leather is unbelievable. The only thing i don't like is Infiniti carrying this new rear lights to far. I like them on the new M, but they loose something in the translation here. The Q is supposed to be a luxury car with at serious, sporty bent; leaning more towards the driving dynamics of a 7-Series than an LS. The M is supposed to be to Infiniti what the 5-Series is to BMW and E-Class is to Mercedes. The first M really didn't fill it's mission, but it was quickly brought over from Japan to fill Infiniti's lineup while this new M was being developed of the FM (Z,G35,FX) platform. Everyone could tell be looking that the last M was based off of the old Q car, and the interior dash was lifted right from the Q (dilluting the Q's flagship status). I think the new M will be a true competitor to those in it's class.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:41 PM
I NEED MONEY!

my dad has a 2003 Q45 fully loaded w/ everything...he's happy with it...i dont know the new one wouldnt b worth upgrading from a 2003
Old 04-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Certified Lurker

I love it...i have no idea why this thing sells as poorly as it does...id take this over an LS, 7, or S any day of the week...i like the refresh, and the interior is great... Another job well done by Infiniti/nissan. Cant wait to see what they do with this thing when the full re-design comes.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:18 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
still looks like a boat
Old 04-07-2004, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Collective27
I love it...i have no idea why this thing sells as poorly as it does...id take this over an LS, 7, or S any day of the week...i like the refresh, and the interior is great... Another job well done by Infiniti/nissan. Cant wait to see what they do with this thing when the full re-design comes.
That about sums it up for me too... really can't wait for the full redesign. Infiniti finally has all of it's ducks in a row. I don't think they'll screw it up.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:24 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

people here love to hate on the Q45, i actually love the current car and im sure this one is atleast as awesome. the interior is great and the engine is more than adaquate.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:46 PM

Looks like the saddle leather offered in the SC 430, LS 430, GS 300 sportdesign. The interior has always been solid in the Q. The exterior looks like a Mercury Sable still though. I want to like this car (especially since you can get a 2 year old one for low 30s) and have driven it several times. It just doesn't do anything outstanding.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:23 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
It just doesn't do anything outstanding.
this is true, its just a very solid car overall and i dont know why people are so negative when they talk about it. i think it stacks up nicely to the LS, its style isnt bland (neither's is) but it isnt particularly striking, the engine isnt underpowered but it isnt a sports car, the interiors are comfortable and the price is lower than its german competitors. but thats just one mans opinion.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn that interior shot looks so damn inviting.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:06 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's aiite. but it still own't sell.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Not bad, but doesn't really get my excited at all either. I like the new M45 MUCH better
Old 04-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Looks like the saddle leather offered in the SC 430, LS 430, GS 300 sportdesign. The interior has always been solid in the Q. The exterior looks like a Mercury Sable still though. I want to like this car (especially since you can get a 2 year old one for low 30s) and have driven it several times. It just doesn't do anything outstanding.
Yeah, the interior is great. You can get a 2 year old one for 30b something? Damn, I didn't know that, though I guess I should have suspected it... that's not good.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:55 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont like it. but im sure grandpa will...

it certainly is a move UP market.

the leathers look great!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,939 Likes on 5,546 Posts
looks like a Taurus...... that is NOT GOOD!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2004, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by srika
looks like a Taurus...... that is NOT GOOD!!!!!!

More like a Mercury Sable. Or a Kia something.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Senior Moderator

More like a Mercury Sable. Or a Kia something.
is there a difference?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:00 PM

Good point. You win Q45 loses (again, 15 years in a row)
Old 04-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The thing with our '98 when we had it was that it was a good, solid car...but it wasn't anything special.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
That car's styling looks so dated now ... especially next to the G35 and the upcoming M45 ...
Old 04-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Good point. You win Q45 loses (again, 15 years in a row)
heh not about winning or losing, per se......

I actually liked this Q45 model when it first came out a couple years ago..... with those craazy HID lights...... but that picture above....... I don't know if its the change to the front facia..... but I just look at it and think "Taurus"...... that's the first thought that comes to my mind.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Infamous425
still looks like a boat
Old 04-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

The interior looks great but the exterior is just too dull to attract buyers.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

I luv that interior. And those reclining rear seats in the back are SICK.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Infiniti Q45 Performance Luxury Sedan

Infiniti’s flagship Q45 premium luxury sedan receives a more distinctive, more aggressive exterior appearance for the 2005 model year, including new front and rear fascias, restyled hood and grille, new headlight design, new integrated fog lamps, restyled trunk decklid and finisher, LED taillights and new fine-line chrome trim throughout.

In addition, the Q45’s advanced 5-speed automatic transmission has been recalibrated for improved downshift response and smoother acceleration. The Q45’s performance-tuned active damping suspension, previously available only on the Premium model, is now standard on all 2005 Q45s. A new 17-inch wheel design with a titanium-colored finish is standard on Q45.

Enhancements to the 2005 Q45 include:

· Revised exterior appearance with new front and rear fascias, new grille, hood and head lights, new integrated fog lamps, new trunk decklid and finisher, LED taillights and fine-line chrome trim
· Two new metallic exterior colors – Lakeshore Slate (medium blue) and Beryllium (medium brown)
· New available 7-spoke 18-inch alloy wheels and P245/45VR18 all-season performance tires and available 8-spoke 18-inch chrome-finish wheels (Premium Package)
· New sport contour front seats and double-stitch style front and rear seats
· New all-white meter cluster, soft touch paint, real metal knobs on control panel, new shifter bezel and additional chrome accents throughout the interior
· New dual-tone Black and Firebrick interior color combination
· New dark genuine Bird’s Eye maple wood trim accents

All the changes for the 2005 Infiniti models - - Source: autospies
Old 09-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

I don't like the way the did the rear lights for this update. They're similar now to the M and G, which, I'll admit, brings familiarilty to the line, but they don't look right. They look like an afterthough, forced at the last minute.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Unhappy Doubt

Infiniti dealers across the country have been desperately waiting for a new Q flagship sedan to take on the likes of the Lexus LS and BMW 7-Series to be announced, however, it appears their wish may never come true.

The last Q model ended production back in 2006 and at the time the base sticker price of the car was $58,750. The current range topper in Infinti’s lineup is the latest 2011 M56, which starts at $57,550, so there’s definitely room for a more upmarket model. However, Infiniti’s vice president of its global business unit, Toru Saito, explained to Automotive News that the Q45 never sold well in the U.S. and that a more expensive model will be even harder to sell. There’s also the fact that the latest 2011 Infiniti M is almost the same size as the old Q45.

All is not lost, however. Saito went on to explain that the new M will "play a flagship role" to gauge demand for an even more expensive model by seeing how many people buy the most expensive M with all the options boxes ticked.

However, the top priority now for Infiniti is to generate more global appeal. Infiniti is no longer a brand isolated to the U.S. and is currently sold in Korea, China, Russia and most of Western Europe. Another major focus is environmental and efficiency challenges, which the upmarket Nissan division hopes to address with a new all-electric compact car.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:40 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
even if they made a new Q they would never profit from it. the LS/7/S dominate the class and with a small dealership network it wont sell well.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
even if they made a new Q they would never profit from it. the LS/7/S dominate the class and with a small dealership network it wont sell well.

Maybe that's the exact reason why Acura is dragging its feet with the RL?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:58 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Acura and Infiniti have no plans for the full size $60+K market. Infiniti will stick with and keep upgrading the M as its flagship while Acura will tinker with the RL. There's just no money to be made selling 200 copies of anything.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
makes sense.

would have liked to see one anyways, but it's not like i'd be able to buy one.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
looks like a taurus...... That is not good!!!!!!

+1
Old 03-16-2010, 11:28 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I was a huge fan of the Qs back in the early 90s. The 2003 was comfortable and a great car to drive back was lacking in several ways. Sucks to see it in limbo but doesn't surprise me