Honda: S2000 News

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,968 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
I found his lap times when he was stockish...
1:42.50 05/25/2003 mafia 2002 S2000 Panther Plus and ATE blue, stock otherwise (S02's have maybe 50-65% tread left). Cool weather... With a passenger

This is the guy whom my buddy Neal knows:
1:36.95 05/28/2002 Mike Pendola 2000 Honda S2000 A032R's, Coilovers, brake pads, motul fluid.

The M3 in the pics look sick!! I was just asking because I was curious and wasn't trying to call you out as a liar.
dont know why he would have posted a time with a passenger... that fool. :P with R-compounds and no passenger, he is much faster, I assure you. Also that is pretty old, he continually improved over the course of many sessions at Gman.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
dont know why he would have posted a time with a passenger... that fool. :P with R-compounds and no passenger, he is much faster, I assure you. Also that is pretty old, he continually improved over the course of many sessions at Gman.
Has he ever run any of the courses at Autobahn CC?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-05-2006, 06:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Either answer my simple questions that you've avoided in the last handful of posts, or either quit posting.
Take a shot of your own medicine and respond to the arguments I posted instead of resorting to your pitiful personal attacks that only serve to highlight your insecurities. As I said multiple times previously, YOU CANNOT READ. If you could, you'd have answered to the arguments I posted. Either that, or you've realized that you have NOTHING to back up your lame assumptions, so instead decided to bring on the personal insults.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Maximized and vishnus11, take it to PM...
Old 10-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
It's all subjective - I don't find my 99 Accord LX 5 sp a torqueless wonder.
I take it your previous ride was a Toyota Tercel then?!? That would make the F23A ostensibly a torque monster.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

oh yeah he ran 1:28.1 at Gingerman in that M3. He also had an '04 Z06, he ran 1:31. Only mod was Hoosier slicks.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F23A4
I take it your previous ride was a Toyota Tercel then?!? That would make the F23A ostensibly a torque monster.
F23A4, with all due respect, you're obviously an enthusiast that prefers a lot more "ooooompf" in your cars (Maxima, Murano). But for 90% of people out there, the average NA 4cyl does the job just fine.

My neighbor has a 2003 4cyl Accord. A few months ago, he broke his ankle, and didn't commute to work - long story short, the battery in the Accord died because it wasn't started for a while. I drove him to Autozone in his accord to get it replaced, and on the way back revved to approx. 5k (I guess I was used to the pull of the S2k ). He exclaimed and said that he'd never ever taken the car above 4000rpms My point is, this guy commutes 1.5 hours one way to work everyday, and found his accord more than adequate even though he barely revved it over 4000rpms. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I'm positive you'll find this to be the case with 90% of the car driving public.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ozvR3UFbkLA
Old 10-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

nice vid. too bad the GTR was in the way in the beginning, pretty clear that the S2000 would have got around the Z in the corners. And, if you think that isn't "real" racing - you're on crack thx. I know there are certain BM episodes where they have a "feature" car and they let it "shine" - this isn't one of them. Did you see how close the S2k was to the M3 in that one hairpin.. he was about 6 inches from the bumper. Also - rare mistake by Gan-San!! yeah you pretty much never see that.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I have a lot more torque on my A4 than the S2k. I can easily smoke it on a track as long there is snow
Old 10-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by vishnus11
F23A4, with all due respect, you're obviously an enthusiast that prefers a lot more "ooooompf" in your cars (Maxima, Murano). But for 90% of people out there, the average NA 4cyl does the job just fine.

My neighbor has a 2003 4cyl Accord. A few months ago, he broke his ankle, and didn't commute to work - long story short, the battery in the Accord died because it wasn't started for a while. I drove him to Autozone in his accord to get it replaced, and on the way back revved to approx. 5k (I guess I was used to the pull of the S2k ). He exclaimed and said that he'd never ever taken the car above 4000rpms My point is, this guy commutes 1.5 hours one way to work everyday, and found his accord more than adequate even though he barely revved it over 4000rpms. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I'm positive you'll find this to be the case with 90% of the car driving public.
Please bear in mind, this is an enthusiast oriented website. Hence, the nature of most car discussions therein center on that "10%". For those wishing to explore the wonders of the forementioned "90%" driving experience, then here is a more suitable site in which one may regale one's self: LINK
Old 10-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

My point is, this guy commutes 1.5 hours one way to work everyday, and found his accord more than adequate even though he barely revved it over 4000rpms. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I'm positive you'll find this to be the case with 90% of the car driving public.

My mom doesnt take it over 4k either BUT she can tell a big difference going from a 97 maxima to a 98 altima. Lets say she still mad about that.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
One thing that people don't really mention is the gearing on the S2000. First gear is short, really short ... The short gearing really helps to get the car moving without torque. It requires that you upshift quicker, especially if you're looking to keep the revs low ...

I was driving in stop and go traffic yesterday and I still don't think there's anything wrong with the car. No need to rev the crap out of the car in stop and go traffic, or merging. If you want to have some fun though the revs are there.

BTW- Here is a link to a dyno graph of my car. The torque is nothing impressive at all, but it is relatively flat. Link

Here's the vid too incase anyone is curious: Dyno Vid

I have some mods, but the power delivery wouldn't look too much different on a stock car.

The argument that seems to be going on here is that the car has no torque ... and people are saying for a car enthusiast its low. While thats true, there's a lot of other stuff that the S2K has going for it for a car enthusiast. While some of you have complained about the high redline, I think as someone who's looking for a performance car, the high redline isn't a bad thing, its a good thing. Infiniti fans were hailing the new 7600 rpm redline as a good thing for the new G35.

In the end, like I said before it depends what you want out of a car. The S2000 is certainly not a superb commuter car. Its not a grand touring car. You shouldn't expect the S2000 to give you a cushy ride on the highway at 80mph. The car isn't intended for that. You wouldn't buy a VW Bug for its enormous cargo space, you shouldn't buy an S2000 for its highway cruising ability.

Its also not a drag racer. In no way is it intended to be run down the 1/4 mile strip. It does OK at the track (a 13.9 @ 101mph is decent I think), but lets be honest here, it isn't an American Muscle car. The car does well on the track, and at autox's. Its a relatively low priced sports car that like the NSX, when it was released did extrodinarily well against cars more expensive than it. Its getting long in the tooth now, but it certainly isn't a slouch still. I wouldn't be surprised to see the re-design putitng the S2000 at the top of its class again.

The car isn't for everyone, and visnus, you'll spend the rest of your life trying to defend the car to people who the car isn't for. I think you, I and the other S2000 owners can appreciate the car for what it is, and for us the positives outweigh the negatives.

For me, the car puts a huge smile on my face everytime I drive it. I could have the worst day of my life, but cruising around top down on a warm sunny day and I'm all smiles.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

great points LiQiCE, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Nice point about the redline too, in fact when they reduced the S2k's from 9k to 8k it had many people frowning.. until they realized that the change was for the better overall performance of the car.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

oh yeah he ran 1:28.1 at Gingerman in that M3. He also had an '04 Z06, he ran 1:31. Only mod was Hoosier slicks.
That's smokin. My friend ran lower 1:20's in his Van Diemen. That time you posted for the Z06 is a bit fast. Your buddy must have had Race pads too or somethings suspect. The reason why I say that is because my friend had 2 Bondurant Pro drivers into town and had them out in his 02 Z06 at Gman. The car had 01 PF Pads, Cryo treated rotors(they cracked all the time), Harness bar, and Harnesses. Maybe the conditions were vastly different, but there's I can say with almost 100 percent certainty that these guys are better drivers than your friend. If the car had race pads, then it's definetly in line with what a well driven Z06 runs there.

What's his times for Autobahn? Your buddy might know my friend Pete and his dad. They have a E46 BMW M3 track car with a M5 V8 engine in it. The car was built by Fall Line and was campaigned in a few pro races by Mark Boden(sp?). I was out there about a month ago and my friend Pete offered me a ride, but I couldn't stay any longer. The car is a work of art!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:24 PM
S2000 Owner

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
...For me, the car puts a huge smile on my face everytime I drive it. I could have the worst day of my life, but cruising around top down on a warm sunny day and I'm all smiles.

Well said for all your points...the part I quoted can't be more true!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Maximized-Do you drive from stoplight to stoplight running 1/4 mile times that you're so worried about the the so called lack of power that the S2000 has? All you keep talking about it 1/4 mile times. Day to day driving isn't about how fast you can run 1/4's. Let's put it into perspective: S2k will run rings all over the Mustang (among a bunch of other cars) straight out of the box in an Autocross course or a track other than something going in a straight line. How much power is needed to do that? The Mustang is all power, and not much handling (without heavy modification), so the Mustang is more likely to be a more solid 1/4 mile track car, not to mention having a MUCH stronger rear end than the S2k, which would lead to increased durability on a 1/4 mile track.
Granted, you have some valid info, but in every day driving, the S2k has more than ample power to accelerate, if you are driving normally. I drive my car every day in traffic and don't have any problems at all with not having enough power. Yes, the torque isn't as much as many other comparable cars out there, but day to day drivers of the S2k learn how to drive it well, and usually know what gear they need to be in to get the right amount of power in any situation. I thoroughly enjoy shifting in this car, considering it's among the best shifters on the road.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

That's smokin. My friend ran lower 1:20's in his Van Diemen. That time you posted for the Z06 is a bit fast. Your buddy must have had Race pads too or somethings suspect. The reason why I say that is because my friend had 2 Bondurant Pro drivers into town and had them out in his 02 Z06 at Gman. The car had 01 PF Pads, Cryo treated rotors(they cracked all the time), Harness bar, and Harnesses. Maybe the conditions were vastly different, but there's I can say with almost 100 percent certainty that these guys are better drivers than your friend. If the car had race pads, then it's definetly in line with what a well driven Z06 runs there.

What's his times for Autobahn? Your buddy might know my friend Pete and his dad. They have a E46 BMW M3 track car with a M5 V8 engine in it. The car was built by Fall Line and was campaigned in a few pro races by Mark Boden(sp?). I was out there about a month ago and my friend Pete offered me a ride, but I couldn't stay any longer. The car is a work of art!
I wish you could see my friend drive. And, quite sure his Z06 was stock except for tires. He made it a point to run all of his cars stock, he wanted to see how fast he could go with a mechanically 100% stock car, save for tires. If everything works out, you may be able to see him race next year on Speed.

I will get his times for Autobahn and ask him about that M3 with the M5 V8.

Last edited by srika; 10-05-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Suzuka Master

I wish you could see my friend drive. And, quite sure his Z06 was stock except for tires. He made it a point to run all of his cars stock, he wanted to see how fast he could go with a mechanically 100% stock car, save for tires. If everything works out, you may be able to see him race next year on Speed.

I will get his times for Autobahn and ask him about that M3 with the M5 V8.
No offense to your friend, but I have a hard time believing that time in the Z06. He might not have conveyed all that was done to the car, but I can tell you that the guy driving my friend's car was .1 slower than Buddy Rice PIR(Bondurant). I would almost bet the house that he had at least race pads. Why would you slap on Hoosiers and not run race pads? After a few laps of hard driving, the OEM pads are fade city.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Shoofin
Maximized-Do you drive from stoplight to stoplight running 1/4 mile times that you're so worried about the the so called lack of power that the S2000 has? All you keep talking about it 1/4 mile times. Day to day driving isn't about how fast you can run 1/4's. Let's put it into perspective: S2k will run rings all over the Mustang (among a bunch of other cars) straight out of the box in an Autocross course or a track other than something going in a straight line. How much power is needed to do that? The Mustang is all power, and not much handling (without heavy modification), so the Mustang is more likely to be a more solid 1/4 mile track car, not to mention having a MUCH stronger rear end than the S2k, which would lead to increased durability on a 1/4 mile track.
Granted, you have some valid info, but in every day driving, the S2k has more than ample power to accelerate, if you are driving normally. I drive my car every day in traffic and don't have any problems at all with not having enough power. Yes, the torque isn't as much as many other comparable cars out there, but day to day drivers of the S2k learn how to drive it well, and usually know what gear they need to be in to get the right amount of power in any situation. I thoroughly enjoy shifting in this car, considering it's among the best shifters on the road.
No, I usually race at the track. My problem was that if you didn't beat the snot out of the car, you'd get smoked by a Maxima or comparable family sedan. I know my car isn't the greatest handler, but who cares? I can make up for that with experience. The driver is the most important part of the equation.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
For me, the car puts a huge smile on my face everytime I drive it. I could have the worst day of my life, but cruising around top down on a warm sunny day and I'm all smiles.
I seem to take the longest possible way from Point A to Point B just to be IN the car and DRIVE it. In fact, if I remember correctly, the brochure says that "the fastest way from Point A to Point B is your favorite line" - they're not lying! I can only hope that the next gen lives up to the world class standards of the original and can communicate the same level of excitement.

The head of our FSAE program who's used to hauling ass in our little formula sae car just drove mine today. He said that after 6k rpms he was "all smiles"
Old 10-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

No, I usually race at the track. My problem was that if you didn't beat the snot out of the car, you'd get smoked by a Maxima or comparable family sedan. I know my car isn't the greatest handler, but who cares? I can make up for that with experience. The driver is the most important part of the equation.
but you're still trying to relate to street racing, but you say you usually race on the track. Where else would I get "smoked" by a maxima or comparable family sedan? If I were on the track, I would be beating the snot out of my car to extract every ounce of power to win the race, as you would in your car....So still, what are you trying to prove?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

No offense to your friend, but I have a hard time believing that time in the Z06. He might not have conveyed all that was done to the car, but I can tell you that the guy driving my friend's car was .1 slower than Buddy Rice PIR(Bondurant). I would almost bet the house that he had at least race pads. Why would you slap on Hoosiers and not run race pads? After a few laps of hard driving, the OEM pads are fade city.
ok correction he did have race pads. believable now???
Old 10-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Shoofin
but you're still trying to relate to street racing, but you say you usually race on the track. Where else would I get "smoked" by a maxima or comparable family sedan? If I were on the track, I would be beating the snot out of my car to extract every ounce of power to win the race, as you would in your car....So still, what are you trying to prove?
what, you've never watched the Maxima SE Pro series on Speed???
Old 10-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

OK I am back from a three-week Euro vacation with no access to Acurazine and this is what I missed? LOL Come on guys....
Old 10-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Senior Moderator

hey Maximized, here's some reading on my friend

for best results rightclick and save as..

http://www.bmwcca.org/files/roundel/...ctober2006.pdf

hope that's believable, lol!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
OK I am back from a three-week Euro vacation with no access to Acurazine and this is what I missed? LOL Come on guys....
I was starting to get worried about you... Welcome back !!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

hey Maximized, here's some reading on my friend

for best results rightclick and save as..

http://www.bmwcca.org/files/roundel/...ctober2006.pdf

hope that's believable, lol!!!
That's smoking!

I didn't believe that he was on the OEM brakes in the Z06 for one second Didn't make any sense and I knew what the car is capable in professional hands.

Here is a pic of my friend's newest toy(Bought last Fall)

It's 796 lbs dry and has a ~190hp Kawasaki motorcycle engine. He was going to race it in the AMLS Lites Series this year, but the car caught fire and burned up pretty good. I was shocked to hear how much some of the CF was to repair.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Honda made the suspension easier for novices to drive and not find trees. For an experienced driver, the cars was dumbed down. Honda tuned the snap oversteer characteristics out of the car.
um... No.

Ap2 suspension is more ACCEPTable for daily uses. yet.. it handles just as good as AP1 if not BETTER than AP1. Proven on the tracks (Bottonwillow by me and my friends)

more STIFF doesnt mean better handling.

If u think AP2 has no torque, wait till you drive an Ap1...
usually more torque = lower redline... i would take a 8/9k redline s2k than a 6.5k redline with 200lbs of torque. you cant have the best of both worlds (high end, low end)

my g35c has more torque than E46 M3... but it is pretty much dead after reaching 6.5k rpm.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
um... No.

Ap2 suspension is more ACCEPTable for daily uses. yet.. it handles just as good as AP1 if not BETTER than AP1. Proven on the tracks (Bottonwillow by me and my friends)

usually more torque = lower redline... i would take a 8/9k redline s2k than a 6.5k redline with 200lbs of torque. you cant have the best of both worlds (high end, low end)

my g35c has more torque than E46 M3... but it is pretty much dead after reaching 6.5k rpm.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

um... No.

oowindowned!!!!!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

This was exactly what I pointed out over the previous few pages, but maximized just couldn't come to terms with this point.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Racer

A classic case of 18 year old magazine racer syndrome. I used to be a bit like you when I was young. Take your car to the track and post some times, then come talk to me. Again, I track my car fairly often and have seen numerous S2K times with my own eyes. You aren't going to change my opinion on the car. Again, I think it's a great handling car, but it's slow.

Fact: The 350Z is a faster car.
Fact: You are a magazine racer, whom has little real life experience.
Fact: You are a S2000 nut-swinger.
Can someone ban this maximized kid from the thread or forum?
I'm enjoying posts and all the sudden a flurry of flames.....just not what I'm looking for during my break in the middle of a work day.
Ignore me if I'm alone in that department....I can scroll the wheel faster next time I see the name.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlyingPig
Can someone ban this maximized kid from the thread or forum?
I'm enjoying posts and all the sudden a flurry of flames.....just not what I'm looking for during my break in the middle of a work day.
Ignore me if I'm alone in that department....I can scroll the wheel faster next time I see the name.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks retardness and unwarranted personal attacks in lieu of facts, warrants banning.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Is this about what's quicker? The 350Z or the S2000? I only had time to read the last few posts.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks retardness and unwarranted personal attacks in lieu of facts, warrants banning.
That statement is a textbook definition of "contradiction" and shows your level of (lack of)intelligence. It also shows that you cannot follow the moderators directions above.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I was starting to get worried about you... Welcome back !!

Thank you.

Yeah, sorry. This time I neglected to post in the appropriate board that I'd be gone for 3 weeks.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Come on guys, let's stop the personal attacks. No problem with having different opinions about automotive matters or otherwise, but let's keep this civil and proper.

Quick Reply: Honda: S2000 News