Honda plans new plants in US, Canada **Ohio possibly to win bid (page 3)**

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt

I don't see another Insight happening, more like a hybrid Fit. I don't think there's a place for a car like the Insight anymore, it was a compromise car when it came out, almost like a production concept.
True, but there's no telling what the new Insight will be like. It could be totally different from the current Insight. Personally I wouldn't mind owning a 2-seat hybrid if it was priced low enough and didn't look anything like the current Insight.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Engine plant to be built in Ontario -- near their Alliston factory which produces Civics and the Acura CSX. And this article also confirms diesel and hybrid engines being built for the North American market.

http://theglobeandmail.ca/servlet/st.../Business/home

Ontario wins Honda engine sweepstakes

Honda Motor Co. Ltd. will build a $154-million engine plant near Alliston, Ont. — its first engine plant in Canada and a major investment that continues the winning streak in the thriving Ontario automotive sector.

The new operation, near the company's vehicle assembly plant about 90 kilometres northwest of Toronto, will be up and running by 2008 and employ about 340 people when it reaches full production of 200,000 four-cylinder engines annually, Honda Canada Inc. officials announced today.

The investment in Ontario is part of a North American expansion unveiled at the auto maker's annual meeting in Japan.

It includes a new assembly plant somewhere in the United States that will boost the number of assembly plants on the continent and production capacity to about 1.6 million vehicles a year.

The Ontario government plans to provide funding for up to 10 per cent of the infrastructure costs associated with building the new Honda engine plant, Ontario Economic Development Minister Joe Cordiano told reporters this morning at Queen's Park.

He said the funding, which will help cover the cost of building roads and sewers, is necessary because otherwise, Honda would not consider the sight.

Mr. Cordiano described the proposed plant as an important assembly operation that will create critical mass and the opportunity to spin off more jobs for manufacturing parts for the auto sector.

"It's a real job creator,” he said.

Mr. Cordiano said the dollar value of the Ontario government's contribution has not yet been determined because the final land assembly is not yet complete. He said the funding will not come from the Ontario Automotive Investment Strategy. Rather, he said, the government will fund "greenfield” operations for the auto sector on a case by case basis.

Honda's statement comes on the heels of an announcement by parts maker Linamar Corp., which will spend $1.1-billion during the next five years to create 3,000 jobs in Ontario, as well as the decision by Toyota Motor Corp. to build an assembly plant — now under construction — in Woodstock, Ont.

Honda thinks highly of the Ontario work force and its employees in Alliston in particular, according to sources, and most of its other assembly facilities have engine plants nearby.

The auto maker also holds Canada in high regard because of strong support from the federal government during a trade dispute in the 1990s over the issue of North American content in Civic sedans assembled in Alliston.

Honda's production of about 390,000 vehicles a year in Alliston, including the Civic sedan, ranks it third in assembly in the country behind General Motors of Canada Ltd. and DaimlerChrysler Canada Inc.

The auto and auto parts industry — with shipments worth about $100-billion annually — is the engine of the Ontario economy. The lion's share of the 149,000 people employed in the Canadian industry work in the province, where all of the country's assembly plants are located.

Industry sources said Honda needs to expand its engine-making capacity because it now is operating at full output and any increase in vehicle assembly must be accompanied by a boost in North American-made engines.

Honda will also begin developing two new vehicles, including an inexpensive hybrid model, and will create a version of its European diesel engine for use here, the sources said.

It's the latest expansion by Japan-based auto makers, which have been grabbing market share in the United States and Canada at the expense of the once-dominant, Detroit-based three, Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., and the Chrysler division of DaimlerChrysler AG.

Honda, Toyota and other Asia- and Europe-based auto makers now hold slightly less than 50 per cent of the North American market and have topped the 50-per-cent mark at least once in Canada.

Any Honda expansion means more market share will be taken away from Chrysler, Ford and GM because the market is expected to remain flat or grow only modestly for the rest of the decade, said Sean McAlinden, vice-president of research at the Center for Automotive Research, an industry think tank in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Honda sold 1.65 million units in North America last year and forecasts sales to rise to 1.72 million units in the current year. The company now has annual production capacity of 1.4 million units in North America with five plants, meaning Honda must import autos to meet North American demand.

In addition to the assembly plant in Alliston, Honda has two plants in Ohio, and one plant each in Alabama and Mexico.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to see a Honda plant in both Chicagoland IL and in Hawaii!!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
OMG!!! Please build me a diesel TSX with awesome gas mileage!!!!! Honda, I would love you forever....
Old 05-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Pro

I dont think we will get a diesel TSX. It will likely go into the C-RV.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
But if the plant doesn't come online till 2008 that means it will be MY09 cars that will get the engines, at the earliest. Honda has no extra capacity for diesels - they are all used in other markets. I would have thought with clean diesel being available at the pump in a couple of months, Honda would have had this available for MY08 cars at the latest.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by corey415
I dont think we will get a diesel TSX. It will likely go into the C-RV.
Why not? There is already a diesel Accord in Europe..
Old 05-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Pro

I know that the Euro Accord can be had with a diesel.

But I just cant imagine a diesel on an Acura here in the states. I am more interested in the turbo k23 that may very well find its way into the next gen TSX.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:45 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed

The race is on: plant will be in midwest, wit Indiana, Michigan and Ohio in the top running.

By Jim Mateja
Tribune auto reporter
Published May 17, 2006, 9:54 PM CDT

With its North American production at capacity, Honda said Wednesday that it will add another Midwest plant that will produce 200,000 vehicles annually starting in 2008.

The $400 million plant will employ 1,500 workers, with Indiana, Michigan and Ohio considered the leading candidates. It will give Honda capacity to build 1.6 million units in the U.S. in 2008, up from 1.4 million now, said Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda.

Honda's goal is to boost sales 34 percent, to 4.5 million vehicles worldwide, by 2010, with the U.S. accounting for 2 million of that.

Honda has two plants in Ohio, one in Alabama and one each in Canada and Mexico.

Colliver wouldn't talk about a potential site or say what vehicles would be built at the new plant, though the new low-cost, high-mileage Fit and compact Civic sedan are the top candidates.

Officials from Ohio and Indiana have held talks with Honda, but they wouldn't discuss any incentives offered, citing competitive reasons.

In addition to the plant news, Honda said it will add a gas/electric vehicle smaller than the Civic for the 2009 model year.

Honda also said it would discontinue the two-seat Insight in September. It was the first hybrid introduced in the U.S.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

I am more interested in the turbo k23 that may very well find its way into the next gen TSX.
Not me. I am much more interested in a car with less tradeoffs....all the luxuries of the TSX plus great gas mileage. I guess part of me is just happy to hear about new diesels coming on the market. I've had enough of this ethanol shit.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Race Director

This might the first time Acura finally offers more than one drivetrain in one of its models. A 2009 TSX with the RDX drivetrain will be standard, but may have the 2.2 iCTDi engine as an option. Lot easier and cheaper than offering a hybrid option.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by biker
This might the first time Acura finally offers more than one drivetrain in one of its models. A 2009 TSX with the RDX drivetrain will be standard, but may have the 2.2 iCTDi engine as an option. Lot easier and cheaper than offering a hybrid option.
it's happened before...

2nd gen. integra had different drive-train - Regular 142hp, GS-R 170hp.

The first gen. CL and TL had different engine choices also (i4 or v6), and I think their predecessors (vigor?) also had different engine choices.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Not me. I am much more interested in a car with less tradeoffs....all the luxuries of the TSX plus great gas mileage. I guess part of me is just happy to hear about new diesels coming on the market. I've had enough of this ethanol shit.

Are you aware that the Euro Accord 2.2L diesel does 0-60 in 9.2 seconds? That's slower than a Honda Civic and a Honda Fit.

Many complain that the TSX in its current state is slow enough...
Old 05-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
it's happened before...

The first gen. CL and TL had different engine choices also (i4 or v6), and I think their predecessors (vigor?) also had different engine choices.
The GS-R was only offered in one drivetrain (thank god!!!)

the Integra RS was offered in multiple drivetrains.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
The GS-R was only offered in one drivetrain (thank god!!!)

the Integra RS was offered in multiple drivetrains.
I consider it all one model, the Integra, which offers different drivetrains depending on the trim (GS-R, RS, or LS).

I think the RS and LS had the same engine and the GS-R had the more potent engine, and the Type-R even further.

So pretty much one model (Integra) with 3 different drivetrains (Regular in RS and LS, mildly potent in GS-R, and highly potent in Type-R).
Old 05-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Are you aware that the Euro Accord 2.2L diesel does 0-60 in 9.2 seconds? That's slower than a Honda Civic and a Honda Fit.

Many complain that the TSX in its current state is slow enough...
I don't care much about speed. I'd like to see more fuel efficiency, but keep the lux features that aren't available on the Civic (such as leather seats and many other things). If I wanted something fast, I'd have a different car. Also, if they develop a new diesel engine like they said they are, maybe it will be faster than the one used in the current diesel Accord.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Race Director

I don't care much about speed. I'd like to see more fuel efficiency, but keep the lux features that aren't available on the Civic (such as leather seats and many other things). If I wanted something fast, I'd have a different car. Also, if they develop a new diesel engine like they said they are, maybe it will be faster than the one used in the current diesel Accord.
The whole point of the diesel TSX would be fuel efficiency - the folks that want speed will stay with the RDX drivetrain. So the diesel would do away with the AWD of the standard TSX (stay FWD like the Euro Accord diesel) but make huge milage gains. Who needs a hybrid when a diesel TSX can get real world 40+ MPG.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Makes sense to built a plant in mid-america... that way they can ship vehicles to both coasts pretty easily...

A diesel Honda would be very interesting in the US... Give the VW diesels a run for the money...
Old 05-18-2006, 10:21 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hope they don't duild in ohio. i fuwkin hate ohio!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by chungkopi
hope they don't duild in ohio. i fuwkin hate ohio!!!
It'd be nice if they'd build a plant in a state where they can get decent workers....no offense to Alabama, but....duh, the choices are slim there. It's the cheap land/taxes, etc. that make it appealing.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by biker
The whole point of the diesel TSX would be fuel efficiency - the folks that want speed will stay with the RDX drivetrain. So the diesel would do away with the AWD of the standard TSX (stay FWD like the Euro Accord diesel) but make huge milage gains. Who needs a hybrid when a diesel TSX can get real world 40+ MPG.
EXACTLY.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:03 AM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'd be nice if they'd build a plant in a state where they can get decent workers....no offense to Alabama, but....duh, the choices are slim there. It's the cheap land/taxes, etc. that make it appealing.

buckeyes will invade the plant!! yikes!!
Old 05-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Report: Honda scouts site near Columbus, Ohio, for plant - - Source: Autonews.com

Honda Motor Co. is looking at a site near Columbus, Ohio, for an assembly plant, according to The Plain Dealer newspaper in Cleveland.

The 1,060-acre site is about 45 miles southwest of Columbus, near the small town of Octa, the newspaper said Friday. Five property owners in the area recently signed options with the state development agency to sell their land, the paper said.

The Japanese automaker said Wednesday, May 17, that it plans to spend $400 million to build an assembly plant in the United States. The plant is scheduled to begin operating in 2008 with annual capacity of 200,000 vehicles.

Honda built its first two U.S. assembly plants northwest of Columbus, in Marysville and East Liberty, Ohio. The Octa site would let Honda draw on its existing management and training operations in the region.

A site in Van Wert, Ohio, west of Lima, also is being looked at by Honda, the newspaper said.

Economic development officials in Ohio and Indiana have said that Honda was scouting sites in their states.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fuckleberry
I bet it's going to be in Canada
I agree,,I just read that Honda plans on building the next gen diesel in a new plant in Canada,, makes since to have car plant near by...
Old 05-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Safety Car

I'm not so sure I understand what is so exciting about this. Honda has finally outgrown their current factories with their not so exciting lineup and now they need a new one, wow, nice work.

Where were the Nissan plant opening threads, considering they are pretty much under Honda yet doing a lot more to try and push ahead.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Banned

Michigan is getting totally outclasses by those damn Buckeyes and Hoosiers AGAIN!
Granholm is in Japan, trying to pick up 3 jobs here and 4 jobs there from no-name companies you've never heard of! ... or, she's down on Toyota's cawk.

I might be going to grad school in Illinois soon, but I am so gonna vote her out via absentee.

MICHIGAN NEEDS HONDA!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
it's happened before...

The vigor only had the 2.5 5 cylinder. the First gen Cl had a 2.3 4cyl or a 3.0 6 cyl.
The first Gen Tl had the vigors 5cyl ot the 3.2 V6.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stevens24
The vigor only had the 2.5 5 cylinder. the First gen Cl had a 2.3 4cyl or a 3.0 6 cyl.
The first Gen Tl had the vigors 5cyl ot the 3.2 V6.
The midrange mid/late 90s Acuras had strange powerplants, because Honda wasn't as good at V6 engines as they are today.