Honda Losing its Cool?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Teh ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read this article this morning, and was kinda thinking the same thing...

Honda design has lost it's appeal of late, especially with the youth market. Once the trendsetter, now the civic looks docile at best.

What I would like to see is the Integra name resurrected in the Honda lineup, with a prelude sitting as a premium coupe for the lineup.

Junkster, who thinks Honda needs new designers
Old 11-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fdl
nah, i wasnt confused about octane computations but I may be confused about the engine in the civic type r (I'm talking about the JDM type r, not any variations found in europe or australia if such things exist). I was under the impression that its a 12:1 compression ratio, which might be tough to run on regular NA pump gas (93 octane included)

as far as I know the "JDM" version is the one built in the UK. As for the engine, I thought it was the same as the RSX Type S.

As for octane levels, I don't see europe gas stations having higher octane gas then the NA markets.

93 (NA) != 93 (Europe)... more like 98.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:32 PM
101 years of heartache...

Acura sedans are just fine the way they are (assuming SH-AWD makes its way onto the TL).

What they really need to do is, as many have said, drop the RSX down or bring it up as a TSX coupe, bring back the CL (which they say will happen.. ), and redesign the f'n NSX (lets not get into that).

Honda needs to return to what it once was. Bring back the ITR, the CTR, and the CRX. People loved these cars, not just ricers. They were good shows of what practicality and great engineering can do. At the time, they were better than the tC's of today BY FAR. I want to see the f'n Civic Si gone, replaced with the Civic Type-R. The Integra-R is another hit on my wish list, as is the CRX, which I had no respect for until I read how damn light the thing was (I had no respect for the CTR until Top Gear proved why I should ).
Old 11-01-2004, 05:33 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by DEVO
as far as I know the "JDM" version is the one built in the UK. As for the engine, I thought it was the same as the RSX Type S.

As for octane levels, I don't see europe gas stations having higher octane gas then the NA markets.

The JDM is imported from UK, but the K20A that JDM CTR uses has different setting.

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/c...ata/index.html

I am pretty sure the RSX-S K20A doesn't have 11.5:1 compression setting.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:49 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DEVO

But in Japan they can get higher octane, and can support 12:1 engines. However, I could be thinking of the integra type-r , not the civic. I wish I could read the honda.co.jp website
Old 11-01-2004, 05:53 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSZ
The JDM is imported from UK, but the K20A that JDM CTR uses has different setting.

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/c...ata/index.html

I am pretty sure the RSX-S K20A doesn't have 11.5:1 compression setting.

right. I think different markets get different cars. For example the "type-r" in australia is a lower compression version because their gas can't take the hotter version. It would be the same for the US. At least this is what I have read.

I still think its 12:1 though..so it could be the integra i'm speaking of. 11.5:1 may be OK here...not sure.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:19 PM
bleh...

Originally Posted by dabuda
5 years ago all i wanted was a honda/acura. nowadays i'm seeing all these new and fun cars from other companies, like the subaru sti, mitsu evo, nissan 350z/infiniti g35c, even the mazda3. what really peeves me off is honda replaced the type-R/type-S offerings with A-Spec/HFP which offer no performance gains at all. what makes it even worse is they charge 5-7k to have for these "sport" packages. i remember the difference between a integra GSR and Type-R was about 4k? now that was something car enthusiasts would pay extra for.
I don't know what they are thinking these days, instead they bring us a ricey crappy Civic Si. I'd rather see a Type R.

Originally Posted by corbs
Bringing that Legend to the US would help their "coolness" factor, at least in my book. Although I believe it's an auto only , it does have paddle shifters .

Legend video
The new RL looks nice, but its overpriced IMO.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:22 PM
bleh...

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I'm a little confused by that statement. Do you mean that you find the TSX dull or do you just mean that you're worried that when you're looking for a replacement it will probably be dull if it comes from Honda?
I love my TSX and CR-V styling, but I am worried about new Honda models/replacements when the time comes to upgrade my cars.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Boy Genius

In all fairness to Honda, the Civic is nearing the end of its current life cycle. Most of the current competition crept up within the past two-three years. I'm hopeful Honda of America management has gotten the message even when the current Civic was introduced that they shouldn't have dumbed down the suspension and should have given it more power. The Civic, like the Accord, is a bread and butter model for Honda and I can't see them messing it up. It probably won't be the most exhilirating vehicle out there and may not appeal to enthusiasts like us on this board, but you can bet that Honda will have done their homework and will be appealing to the largest demographic they can.

That said, Honda's lineup has lost a lot of the halo it once had - bring back a CRX, give us a new exciting Civic, move the RSX to Honda and give us a real Type R or bring back a Prelude, and keep the S2000 alive. Walking into a Honda dealership these days is boring.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corbs
Bringing that Legend to the US would help their "coolness" factor, at least in my book. Although I believe it's an auto only , it does have paddle shifters .

Legend video

you're kidding about that comment right?