Old 11-01-2004, 08:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Honda Losing its Cool?

Losing its Cool? Rival automakers making dent in Honda's hold on younger crowd
MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 11/1/04
LOS ANGELES -- Chilling out with a dozen other Scion tC coupe owners on the cliffs of suburban San Pedro, 27-year-old Mike Bittner holds court.

Bittner is impressing his fellow ScionLife club members with the car's custom leather seats and blue neon lighting in the engine bay. He then shows off a low-budget performance hack: Popping out the fog lamp blanks creates an impromptu "ram air" system for the engine. It is clear Bittner is a true believer, a coveted customer for automakers.

Asked why he picked a car by Toyota's nascent youth brand over a Honda, Bittner is blunt: "I don't baby cars, and Honda doesn't care about its customers. I'd never buy a Honda."

Others quickly chime in.

Phillip Kang, a 26-year old database engineer from Alhambra, Calif., unloaded his 2001 Civic onto his parents when he ordered his $17,500 Scion in May.

"I wanted something with the same price range as the Civic but with more features," Kang says. "Everyone thinks this car costs $25,000. It's like an Infiniti G35 coupe, but it cost half as much."

This gaggle of Scion owners is not a rare exception. At a drifting event last year at Los Angeles' Irwindale Speedway, thousands of young import-brand racing fans lustily booed the Honda name when it was mentioned over the loudspeaker.

Since the early 1990s, the Honda Civic has been the car of cool kids and the aftermarket companies that feed the fever for go-fast parts. Today, rival automakers are building vehicles directed at the younger crowd, and they are making a dent.

The compact car segment is crucial. It accounts for 14.1 percent of the light-vehicle market, according to J.D. Power and Associates. Many of those buyers are under 35 years old, an age when long-term loyalties can be cemented.

To be sure, while vehicles such as the Scions and Mazda3 have made inroads in Honda's dominance, Honda remains the king. Honda sells more Civics than Volkswagen, Mitsubishi and Mazda sell total vehicles. On a five-mile drive back from the Scion gathering, a reporter spotted six Civics driven by apparent Gen Y members.

But change is in the air.

Gen X vs. Gen Y

The tuner kids of Generation X - born between 1965 and 1981 - made the Honda Civic the must-have compact car during the 1990s. They also helped propel the brand into its volume spiral. As those buyers have aged, Honda has provided them with larger, more mainstream products to fit their needs.

Even the youth-targeted Element has a median buyer age in the 40s, well older than the desired target.

Honda's inability to attract Bittner and other Generation Y buyers could be an indicator of a larger movement away from Honda products by young consumers. For instance, Mazda's crisply executed Mazda3 has a median buyer age of 34, a huge drop from the predecessor Protege's 42-year-old median.

Another indicator: As an increasing number of credible vehicles enter the market, aftermarket tuner-parts vendors have begun to take their "compact performance" business to brands besides Honda.

According to the Specialty Equipment Market Association, compact-car retail parts sales by aftermarket companies have skyrocketed to $3.2 billion in 2003, up from $295 million in 1997.

Civic sales off

It would seem that Honda should have little to worry about. The brand is one of the strongest in the industry. Every model launch of late has been solid, and sales and market share are increasing despite having few incentives. Honda by far still has the dominant share of young buyers compared with other brands, according to several market research firms.

But sometimes it is possible to be too popular.

Some younger buyers surveyed said they chose another brand because it wasn't a Honda.

Says Scion Vice President Jim Farley: "The youth market is all about personalization and specialization. "When you're trying to sell 120,000 Civic coupes a year, how can you do that?"

Last year was the first time since 1996 that Honda did not break 300,000 Civic sales. Even with unheard-of dealer cash incentives tacked on the Civic, sales were flat through September.

Allocating resources

Thomas Elliott, American Honda executive vice president, fiercely defends the Civic's success rate with young buyers.

He says that 41 percent of Civic buyers are under 35, a better youth ratio from a larger sales base than any compact car. The Civic also has a strong penetration into the trend-setting Asian, Hispanic and black markets.

But in broadening its product line, development of youth-oriented products has suffered, Elliott admits.

"We have been putting our priorities into light trucks, and that does not leave a lot of room for niches," he says. "Has it taxed our abilities to address other markets? Yes, it has."

Elliott has hopes for the next-generation Civic, which he calls "a higher-level car." While retaining its size, he says the 2006 Civic will have more refinement, detail and product content. In short, he says, "What they've been missing the last few years."

In the closest admission anyone at Honda will make to the current Civic not hitting the bull's-eye, Elliott says, "The Civic is doing its job. Can we do a better job? No question."

The next Civic platform also could spawn niche-oriented body styles or powertrain options that would cater to young buyers, he says.

Filling in underneath the upscale Civic will be an Americanized version of the Fit subcompact, which is sold in Japan.

"We are not looking for the marginal buyer," Elliott says. "It will be the high end of the low end."

But some analysts say that Honda may be moving too late.

Honda blundered in making the 2001 Civic and 2003 Civic Si redesigns too bland and offending aftermarket tuners with a lesser suspension system, analysts claim. Also, while the Element is wildly exceeding sales expectations, it is priced out of the reach of most young buyers.

Lincoln Merrihew, analyst with Compete Automotive in Boston, says that most Element shoppers already were looking at Hondas and were not the first-time buyers Honda sought.

Window shopping

In 2003 and 2004, Honda was the No. 1 response to the topic, "definitely will consider buying the brand the next time," in a survey of under-25 car buyers completed by consultancy Strategic Vision of Vista, Calif.

But something happened when young shoppers entered the showroom, says Dan Gorrell, Strategic Vision vice president.

"While Honda is in the hearts of the youth, the company isn't necessarily providing vehicles - for the price, styling and performance and image - that resonate with that group," Gorrell says.

Doug Scott, industry analyst with Allison-Fisher International, echoes that sentiment: "The picture of Honda that (young shoppers) have in their minds may get interrupted when they get into the showroom."

Another indicator: Aftermarket consumers want go-fast parts for import brands other than Honda - once the industry darling. Those who customize their vehicles typically are trendsetters in their peer group. To see them moving away from Honda could be a sign of a larger future move.

Greg Neuwirth, president of engine tweaker AEM Inc. in Hawthorne, Calif., says that Honda parts have skidded from 80 percent of his business to about 55 percent in just three years.

This year, when AEM bought DC Sports of Corona, Calif., all that DC built were parts for Hondas. Already, that has been shaved to about 75 percent.

"The 2001 Civic was a mainstream sedan," Neuwirth says. "With the old Civic, we couldn't keep parts on the shelves. With the new one, the parts sell, and it's nothing to sneeze at. But it's nothing like we used to see."

"It hasn't been one competitor taking a big chunk, but a combination," he said. "Everybody woke up."

Nothing more HP and better looks couldn't fix.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by domn
Nothing more HP and better looks couldn't fix.

I really wish honda would just come out with something stupid like a 600hp viper killer. That would shut the critics up for a while.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Phillip Kang, a 26-year old database engineer from Alhambra, Calif., unloaded his 2001 Civic onto his parents when he ordered his $17,500 Scion in May.

"I wanted something with the same price range as the Civic but with more features," Kang says. "Everyone thinks this car costs $25,000. It's like an Infiniti G35 coupe, but it cost half as much."

I really have to drive one of those Scion's.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"It's like an Infiniti G35 coupe, but it cost half as much."

I highly doubt that.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:01 AM

5 years ago all i wanted was a honda/acura. nowadays i'm seeing all these new and fun cars from other companies, like the subaru sti, mitsu evo, nissan 350z/infiniti g35c, even the mazda3. what really peeves me off is honda replaced the type-R/type-S offerings with A-Spec/HFP which offer no performance gains at all. what makes it even worse is they charge 5-7k to have for these "sport" packages. i remember the difference between a integra GSR and Type-R was about 4k? now that was something car enthusiasts would pay extra for.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:25 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One word, Type-R (or is that 2?). Nothing a nicely priced ITR and CTR couldn't fix. A CTR would demolish a Mazda3 in every way shape or form.

Originally Posted by DEI99662

I highly doubt that.
A G35 for poor people, its only missing RWD and 120HP
Old 11-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by xizor
A G35 for poor people, its only missing RWD and 120HP
Very true.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 749 Likes on 450 Posts
The Scion tC is a very sexy car, the Civic isn't as sexy. And right out of the dealership they offer tons of custom options, Honda doesn't. And it's cheap. And it's a Toyota.

Honda needs to revise the Civic's styling first, then offer more gadgets.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

One word, Type-R (or is that 2?). Nothing a nicely priced ITR and CTR couldn't fix. A CTR would demolish a Mazda3 in every way shape or form....
Werd. And the dumbest thing is that Honda already makes these cars. Why they don't want to sell (a bunch of) them here is beyond me....
Old 11-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
It's tough to cater to a moving demographic and taste. I'm sure Honda will come up with something for the next Civic. And maybe even the Fit will get reconfigured to appeal to the younger crowd.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Honda's management has gotten too old and luxury oriented. They need to shake things up and bring in some young blood to really position Honda better towards the youth market. Honda engineering is some of the best available and certain products, such as the TSX and TL, do quite well. However, without a truly appealing entry-level car (a 200hp Civic, perhaps?) that doesn't end up costing a bundle, Honda can't compete with Scion.

Time for a true young car enthusiast to take over and tell those old fogies at Honda what the young people in America really want to see.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
Werd. And the dumbest thing is that Honda already makes these cars. Why they don't want to sell (a bunch of) them here is beyond me....
i might not have gotten a TSX... it they had a RSX Type-R
Old 11-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Baka Unco

Bringing that Legend to the US would help their "coolness" factor, at least in my book. Although I believe it's an auto only , it does have paddle shifters .

Legend video
Old 11-01-2004, 11:14 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I'm expecting big things from the next civic.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Very true.
sounds like an acura... is funny seeing people try to compare a FWD 4 banger to RWD I6..but hey it happens all the time..and the FWD 4 banger acura only costs a few k's less and not half
Old 11-01-2004, 11:26 AM
04 remembrance

Same here.

Acura now has a full, fresh lineup, so I guess it's Honda to follow the trend.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

One word, Type-R (or is that 2?). Nothing a nicely priced ITR and CTR couldn't fix. A CTR would demolish a Mazda3 in every way shape or form.
but then you know the mazdaspeed 6 is around the corner and will mop the floor with it and at a cheaper price too.... kind of like current mazda products
Old 11-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Originally Posted by corbs
Bringing that Legend to the US would help their "coolness" factor, at least in my book. Although I believe it's an auto only , it does have paddle shifters .

Legend video
JDM Legend = USDM RL (minus a couple of JDM only gadgets)
Old 11-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Will the Civic Type R ever come here?
Old 11-01-2004, 11:38 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DEVO
Will the Civic Type R ever come here?
Not until we get higher octane gas I believe.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

fdl,

Are you sure about that. Our 93 octane (sunnoco has 94) is pretty much the same stuff that europe has to offer. We just compute octane by an average of 2 formulas (RON + MON / 2) vs just RON.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fdl
Really? Like what? 98 oct??
Old 11-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
The Scion tC is a very sexy car, the Civic isn't as sexy. And right out of the dealership they offer tons of custom options, Honda doesn't. And it's cheap. And it's a Toyota.

Honda needs to revise the Civic's styling first, then offer more gadgets.
I'm telling you...CRX. It's time. Stripped down, super-fun. The Civic is a "new" family sedan anymore. It's the same size as my old 1990 Honda Accord.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fdl
Doesn't it have the same engine as the RSX-S?
Old 11-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Photography Nerd

Doesn't it have the same engine as the RSX-S?
I thought it had the same engine as the RSX-R.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:24 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

The Civic Type R as far as I remember has the same 200HP motor found in the RSX-S. The ITR and Euro R Accord share the 220HP motor.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I thought it had the same engine as the RSX-R.
Naw.... I'm pretty sure it's only got 200 HP. But I'll double check with my British car mags when I get home.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Photography Nerd

Naw.... It's only got 200 HP.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by domn
The Civic Type R as far as I remember has the same 200HP motor found in the RSX-S. The ITR and Euro R Accord share the 220HP motor.
Right. So ANOTHER example of how there's NO REASON they shouldn't sell the CTR here.

Clutch, who'd be the first one in line.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:43 PM
bleh...

Last year was the first time since 1996 that Honda did not break 300,000 Civic sales. Even with unheard-of dealer cash incentives tacked on the Civic, sales were flat through September.
Civics are such POS/dull these days, I can understand why their sales are going down to sleeker and better performing cars like the Mazda3 and Scion tC. Plus how come the EX doesn't have 4 wheel disc brakes?

Honda is too behind on the trend, these will probably be my last cars from them if they keep this up.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
My friend has a Civic EX...I got to drive it a few times we were out because he was drunk...it drives almost like a Toyota! It's not as numb-feeling as the non-sport Corolla (I hear the Sport model is a different beast ), but it's very isolated from the road, not a lot of road feedback, though. I really don't think it's the driving feel that turned buyers away...probably the low power rating on paper.

The LED-lit gauges and chrome door pulls do set it apart from the econo-sedan class, though. The 127hp felt adequate enough...but more power would be a better sell, considering that everyone else is upping the horsepower.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bananaairsoft
Really? Like what? 98 oct??
no. fdl is confused about octane computations done in NA.

and as somebody else pointed out. it's the same engine found in the RSX (don't remember which one).
Old 11-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by Agent_Chen
Honda is too behind on the trend, these will probably be my last cars from them if they keep this up.
I'm a little confused by that statement. Do you mean that you find the TSX dull or do you just mean that you're worried that when you're looking for a replacement it will probably be dull if it comes from Honda?
Old 11-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts

I highly doubt that.
Why? Don't they both have cheap "plasticky" interiors....
Old 11-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Photography Nerd

Wow. Colin's still alive!
Old 11-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Safety Car

Even the ctr and rsxr are behind the pack now. They dropped the ball with the si by leaving the power at 160hp and that was most likely because the base rsx is in the way.

I don't see why honda can't just make a decent performing civic without all the badges for 06. They need more standard features too, Tc is loaded at 16k.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

how about a factory option supercharger, I'm sure there's ricers, I mean tuners, who'd go for that
Old 11-01-2004, 04:58 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The Scion tc looks almost like a RSX. The tc is a fun looking car. I say again its time to drop the RSX and send it back to where it really belongs...the Honda lineup.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:10 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Naw.... I'm pretty sure it's only got 200 HP. But I'll double check with my British car mags when I get home.
UKDM that is, the JDM Civic Type-R has the 215hp K20A engine.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:12 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DEVO
no. fdl is confused about octane computations done in NA.

and as somebody else pointed out. it's the same engine found in the RSX (don't remember which one).

nah, i wasnt confused about octane computations but I may be confused about the engine in the civic type r (I'm talking about the JDM type r, not any variations found in europe or australia if such things exist). I was under the impression that its a 12:1 compression ratio, which might be tough to run on regular NA pump gas (93 octane included)

Quick Reply: Honda Losing its Cool?