Ford: Recall News

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21
you missed my point entirely.

we are all aware that every car company, whether it be domestic or import has quality issues at some point.

what I was pointing out is the irony of american companies shoving the whole "buy/support American products bc they are made in the good ol USA" down our throats. when they sub tranny work to china to boost profits.
Sorry for missing the point. Sometimes hearing someone say something is different than reading what they type.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman
Sorry for missing the point. Sometimes hearing someone say something is different than reading what they type.
indeed... np
Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
right but if quality control is a problem in china, and not here. the problem would not have not occurred.

now if its a design flaw... you're right, it wouldnt matter...
You cant say that it wouldnt have occurred, thats being pretty arrogant. We DONT know what the problem is. Every one is jumping to blame the Chinese. We simply dont know at this point what the problem is. And those saying that FORD NEEDS to do something, do you honestly think they are sitting there saying nothing is wrong? You can bet your bottom dollar they are working on findig out what the problem is. If they dont know what the cause is, its kinda hart to address it isnt it?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You cant say that it wouldnt have occurred, thats being pretty arrogant. We DONT know what the problem is. Every one is jumping to blame the Chinese. We simply dont know at this point what the problem is. And those saying that FORD NEEDS to do something, do you honestly think they are sitting there saying nothing is wrong? You can bet your bottom dollar they are working on findig out what the problem is. If they dont know what the cause is, its kinda hart to address it isnt it?

I agree.

Whatever the problem is, you can bet that Ford is trying to address it. Whether it be through their own resources or through Getrag. Getrag, as a supplier to manufacturers beside Ford, is very aware of the problem and you can bet is attempting to find a solution. The easiest thing to rectify would be that of a quality issue that some are so apt to claim is the issue, but if that were indeed the problem then Getrag would have made steps towards rectifying it. This has not been the case so far.

Again, it's most likely a tolerance issue, but not having it on all transmissions make it very difficult to diagnose. It could be fluid. It could be mounting issues. It could be installation. It could be metallurgical. Who knows at this point. I know I sure the hell don't.

Personally, I'll wait until there is some sort of hard evidence before I voice an opinion. Whether it be quality, design, component, or constuction.

Terry
Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 PM
The Dumb One

You cant say that it wouldnt have occurred, thats being pretty arrogant. We DONT know what the problem is. Every one is jumping to blame the Chinese. We simply dont know at this point what the problem is.
like i mentioned, and you mentioned, and several others mentioned... the exact problem is still not known. and im holding final judgement, but my GUESS is that this is all a result of saving $$$ and cheaper work sometimes results in cheaper quality.

i said that if quality control was better in the US (never said it was). that this could have been avoided/caught by spending the extra $$
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
sounds like they had a run of bad ones. Too many people have ones that shift fine.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
will . never . buy . american.

some of you guys have a really one-faceted reaction to this problem. why are you protecting ford by saying the tranny wasnt built by them? to me, that makes ford MUCH MORE at fault than if they had build it themselves. this is more than just a simple problem of manufacturing creditability.

ford made a decision to cut corners and outsource one major part, and that one part is the biggest problem on the vehicle (as far as we are concerned). they took a gamble and lost. now it is 100% inexcusable. and truthfully, they are now up shits creek more than ever since they either need to work with china to fix the problem, or try to repair trannys that they didnt manufacture in the first place.

if this tranny issue does become prevalent, then the chinese company may run into problems with repairing or building new trannys at high volume at no extra cost...they get in financial strains, then the chinese govt comes into play (like every business decision over there)...its one big cluster fuck of a mess that ford could have entirely avoided in the first place.

to me, that is MORE negligent on ford's behalf than if they were to have built their own problematic tranny. how can you argue against that? ...ford is lying to their customers to cover up a problem because A) they cant fix it themselves B) they are not attempting to fix due to contract with chinese or C) they cant readily obtain a new tranny from china per the customers needs. all of the above could have been 100% avoided if ford made their own tranny, even if it was a POS.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 04-27-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
I don't think it has to do with domestic or import. At this point, we have a tranny built overseas...and an Acura built in Ohio (right?). The world market is pretty ironic.

I was giddy for the 5.0...
the only thing this confirms for me is that it's never a good idea to buy a first model year of a car.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,379 Likes on 4,066 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I don't think it has to do with domestic or import. At this point, we have a tranny built overseas...and an Acura built in Ohio (right?). The world market is pretty ironic.

I was giddy for the 5.0...the only thing this confirms for me is that it's never a good idea to buy a first model year of a car.

Want one so bad....but now.....
Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
But you are failing to see the point. The point was was it doesnt matter if its Made in the US, Japan or China. Manufacturing and or design issues can happen,and at this point there is no proof or need to just blame it on being Chinese made!
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I think that is exactly the point. It doesn't matter if you're sourcing from Mexico, the US, Japan or China .... shit happens.

No one even knows what the problem is, so it is FAR too early to say, "Well, if they hadn't tried to get cheap by manufacturing in China .... ". Could've happened anywhere.
So according to you guys, you wouldnt mind if your car was built in china? It will be just as good as a japanese, european, or US built car? I never stated the problem is specifically because of China, but when you throw quality out the window to cut costs it is pretty obvious.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
The whole car is built in America EXCEPT FOR THE TRANSMISSION which is built in CHINA.

You'd be surprised how many parts are from overseas in these "american" cars.

Or any car for that matter.

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 04-27-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm not sure if this is related, but I was just looking at AutoTrader, and there are quite a few used 2011 Mustangs with manual transmissions for sale. I don't recall seeing anything quite like that, so I did a specific search. There are ten within 100 miles of my rural Ohio location, all GTs or Shelbys. Of those with a CarFax available, none show a repossession and all were owned between one and nine months.

I'm sure at least some of those are from people who realized they couldn't afford the car or fell victim to the "your financing fell through, come in and renegotiate" trick--a couple are at a dealer notorious for that--but if people are getting rid of a car owned less than a year, there has to be something going on.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts

Mustang crossed off of list.

While this really sucks, blaming it on being Chinese built as the problem may or may not be right. The very same thing could happen being built here in America or Japan. (a certain j series 5 speed auto comes to mind)
Old 04-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
spoke to a ford rep and he says there isnt even a tsb issues yet but he will get back to me.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by phee
spoke to a ford rep and he says there isnt even a tsb issues yet but he will get back to me.
This is the thing that is most disturbing. NOTHING from Ford. What a shame.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
will . never . buy . american.

some of you guys have a really one-faceted reaction to this problem. why are you protecting ford by saying the tranny wasnt built by them? to me, that makes ford MUCH MORE at fault than if they had build it themselves. this is more than just a simple problem of manufacturing creditability.

ford made a decision to cut corners and outsource one major part, and that one part is the biggest problem on the vehicle (as far as we are concerned). they took a gamble and lost. now it is 100% inexcusable. and truthfully, they are now up shits creek more than ever since they either need to work with china to fix the problem, or try to repair trannys that they didnt manufacture in the first place.

if this tranny issue does become prevalent, then the chinese company may run into problems with repairing or building new trannys at high volume at no extra cost...they get in financial strains, then the chinese govt comes into play (like every business decision over there)...its one big cluster fuck of a mess that ford could have entirely avoided in the first place.

to me, that is MORE negligent on ford's behalf than if they were to have built their own problematic tranny. how can you argue against that? ...ford is lying to their customers to cover up a problem because A) they cant fix it themselves B) they are not attempting to fix due to contract with chinese or C) they cant readily obtain a new tranny from china per the customers needs. all of the above could have been 100% avoided if ford made their own tranny, even if it was a POS.
Yes, because only American cars have problems, and this NEVER would have happened if they had built it themselves

I fail to see how or where Ford is Negligent and covering up anything. No where does it say anywhere that they are refusing to acknowledge the problem or fix it. It is however kind of hard to admit the problem when you DONT know what it is or how to fix it. Some are way to quick to jump on the we need to blame someone badwagon.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

This is the thing that is most disturbing. NOTHING from Ford. What a shame.

And if the problem isnt known yet or how to fix it what should ford say?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Have to agree. I'm sure for legal reason's they can't come out and say anything until they are 100% certain about what's going on.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 AM
I got the Shifts

just heard back from him

="I have a service writer who acknowledged that he has read something on this, but there is no formal announcement from Ford."
Old 04-27-2011, 01:12 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by dom
Have to agree. I'm sure for legal reason's they can't come out and say anything until they are 100% certain about what's going on.
If there is a legal issue preventing them from saying anything then I don't know.

BUT how about a letter or something to the people who have purchased a 2011/2012 Mustang....

"Dear Valued Ford Customer...

We at Ford Motor Company, are aware that there are transmission problems with some examples of in our Mustang cars. We assure you our engineers are taking every step possible to rectify the situation as soon as possible. When a solution is found you will be notified as to the propler action to be taken....." ..."If in the meantime your transmission causes you a problem please take your car to an authorized Ford dealership, in order to obtain a temporary solution until a permanant fix is found...."

Would something like this kill them?
It would be a show of good faith and it would go a looooonnnnggg way toward smoothing some already ruffled feathers....
Old 04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

"Dear Valued Ford Customer...

We at Ford Motor Company, are aware that there are transmission problems with some examples of in our Mustang cars. We assure you our engineers are taking every step possible to rectify the situation as soon as possible. When a solution is found you will be notified as to the propler action to be taken....." ..."If in the meantime your transmission causes you a problem please take your car to an authorized Ford dealership, in order to obtain a temporary solution until a permanant fix is found...."

Would something like this kill them?
It would be a show of good faith and it would go a looooonnnnggg way toward smoothing some already ruffled feathers....
I'll admit its very, very, very unlikely. But what if it isn't their fault? Do they have enough data at this point to know for certain? I'm sure a lawyer somewhere said to just keep quiet until all the facts are on the table. Not to pick on Honda but how long did it take them to formally announce something about the 5 Speed debacle? While in the end Ford is responsible, there's still Getrag and the Chinese builder to factor in here.

I'd love to hear something from Amisconception. He may have a better understanding of how an automaker deals with these types of situations.

Last edited by dom; 04-27-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
I got the Shifts

they cant just admit fault like that because then any asshat will blow their trans and say its fords fault.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Regardless of who made the transmission or where it was made, Ford is still responsible and should correct it accordingly when the problem is discovered and a solution developed.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by silver3.5
Regardless of who made the transmission or where it was made, Ford is still responsible and should correct it accordingly when the problem is discovered and a solution developed.
Ford should send letters out to affected customers and say a fix is in the work and in the mean time try to come up with a band-aid fix along with something permanent to fix the issue.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
It just doesnt seem that widespread yet for that kind of action though. Then again im not following it too closely.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by silver3.5
And i bet they will once the solution is available
Old 04-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
It just doesnt seem that widespread yet for that kind of action though. Then again im not following it too closely.
As with everything, i would assume that the forums and internet are making it to be a much larger problem than it is
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
I trule believe this issue is being blown out of proportion by the internet forums. Like I said in a previous post, the number of people that have no issues is more than double those that claim rough shifting.

Just think, you're a new owner... you get a bit of a clunk or grind going into gear. What's the first thing you do? Google "2011 Mustang rough shifting"...

Look at the first result: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&so...mustang+rough+

The monster thread from AllFordMustangs that is spreading the web like wildfire.

I don't doubt there is something wrong with certain peoples cars, but I do think the issue is being blown out of proportion a bit. (This may not be how I felt a few pages back, but just looking at the numbers it's hard to say that the majority of cars are affected)
Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
jeez
Old 04-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
Honestly, I can agree...I work in smart meters...the company I work for is changing all 4.5 million of them. There is a small percentage in relation to all that are getting changed, that fail...no display, or burn up...but those are the ones that get the press and it's a constant battle to remind people internally that if it weren't for the exception (rather than the rule) we wouldn't have a job.

I don't doubt that it's a somewhat isolated incident...but to be honest, if I experienced what the guy in the first video experienced, I wouldnt' care how many other people had the same problem...I'd be so pissed off. 2 Tranny's, 3 clutches, etc...to me, that happens, assuming it's all true...if I were Ford, I'd gladly give that guy a new car and take his for analysis since it's obviously displaying all the problems.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 AM
The Dumb One

even if the majority are fine... say 2/3...

if my car was acting just fine, i would still want to know the answer when available. when the solution was provided, i would want my transmission/clutch replaced with the updated version.

even the ones that aren't affected (yet) still have a right for concern and questioning.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

even if the majority are fine... say 2/3...

if my car was acting just fine, i would still want to know the answer when available. when the solution was provided, i would want my transmission/clutch replaced with the updated version.

even the ones that aren't affected (yet) still have a right for concern and questioning.
So even though nothing is wrong with yours you would want yours replaced? Why? Thats like saying that if a certain amount of cars were covered under a recall and yours wasnt you would want the recall part even though yours isnt affected. No one is saying that ford wont let people know what the issue is but many are talking as though they arent. Why??
Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 AM
The Dumb One

simply because of the potential of it happening later on.

why would you rather take a chance of it crapping out on you leaving you on the side of the interstate over getting the "refined" version of the transmission that has been tested/proven to work and be reliable..

makes tons of sense to me....

and you're also assuming only a certain range of vins will be affected.

i was stating that people who havent been affected (yet) have every reason to be concerned and keep up with the situation, even if they arent having any issues at this time.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I am still a huge fan of the 5.0 and the leaps and bounds Ford is making, but I'd want to know that the company is standing behind its product rather than turning a blind eye and going "we can't seem to find a problem at all...."

Of course as it's been speculated, there's may be some thought behind it as well. They might need time to discover the problem first and have a remedy, rather than just telling people they have nothing for them at the moment. Outright saying that their almost brand new product is defective from the get-go doesn't project the right image. But as a consumer I still think that's bullshit.

Acura did respond, but it did take years, did it not? Regardless, I don't think it's right or wrong to compare what one company did compared to another. They should all try and rectify the problems immediately and assure their buyers that they will be taken care of.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read that the company which produces the transmissions has had issues in the past with quality control. They're called Sum Ting Wong Heavy Industries.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

simply because of the potential of it happening later on.

why would you rather take a chance of it crapping out on you leaving you on the side of the interstate over getting the "refined" version of the transmission that has been tested/proven to work and be reliable..

makes tons of sense to me....

and you're also assuming only a certain range of vins will be affected.

i was stating that people who havent been affected (yet) have every reason to be concerned and keep up with the situation, even if they arent having any issues at this time.
But you also said
i would want my transmission/clutch replaced with the updated version.
IF it were to come to a recall then im sure it would, but if not you would have to wait till something did infact happen. You cant just go into the shop and say i want a new "insert part here" because there is a newer version avail. Im not assuming a certain vin range will be effected, it was nothing more than an example. Are you assuming that every car will be effected? Kinda seems like it.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Costco
I am still a huge fan of the 5.0 and the leaps and bounds Ford is making, but I'd want to know that the company is standing behind its product rather than turning a blind eye and going "we can't seem to find a problem at all...."

Of course as it's been speculated, there's may be some thought behind it as well. They might need time to discover the problem first and have a remedy, rather than just telling people they have nothing for them at the moment. Outright saying that their almost brand new product is defective from the get-go doesn't project the right image. But as a consumer I still think that's bullshit.

Acura did respond, but it did take years, did it not? Regardless, I don't think it's right or wrong to compare what one company did compared to another. They should all try and rectify the problems immediately and assure their buyers that they will be taken care of.
Every thing as of now is nothing more than speculation. So as a consumer yes, we all want answers. But if they arent available dont you think its fair to let the manufacturer figure out what the issue is before they tell you whats wrong and not give out false info that you would be mad about in the end?

Acura never responded. They gave some BS line about the 2nd gear recall and oil jet and never addressed what the real problem was. If it werent for the 2nd gear recall i doubt there would have been any thing done about the 3rd gear extended warranty. No info was ever really given about that and to this day the problem still exists.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
New Jalopnik article: http://ca.jalopnik.com/5796207/ford-...-transmissions

Ford's response: "We remain absolutely committed to the highest quality in all of our vehicles and are looking into this matter. We remain committed to continuous improvement."
Old 04-28-2011, 02:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CL6
I read that the company which produces the transmissions has had issues in the past with quality control. They're called Sum Ting Wong Heavy Industries.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by S A CHO
New Jalopnik article: http://ca.jalopnik.com/5796207/ford-...-transmissions

Ford's response: "We remain absolutely committed to the highest quality in all of our vehicles and are looking into this matter. We remain committed to continuous improvement."
At least its an acknowledgment.

Quick Reply: Ford: Recall News