Ford: Mustang News

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
I completely understand Ford trying to cover their ass, it just makes the warranty guidelines very... vague. How do you know if some guy was racing against someone else? Line lock is a feature that will be used more than a handful of times by 5% of the owners, if that. Should have just excluded this feature, or had it as part of the track pack.

In any case, GM's decision to make launch control standard on the SS and not have it affect warranty was much smarter. Plus it helps with the actual launch, and not just a burnout.

Sounds like a marketing gimmick given the fine print and asterisks. Look at these cool racing features you don't get to use, unless you want to void your warranty!
Launch control and line lock are apples and oranges.

Again, try to understand, using line lock at the drag strip or at the track does not void the warranty. Ford is saying take your street car to the race track or drag strip......beat the clock. No issue whatsoever. Just understand that Ford is not giving a green light for the consumer to turn said street car into a race car against opponents.

It's more cut and dry then you think.

...and no, the answer is not removing the features.

It's all in understanding that Ford is offering a ton of cool enthusiast features for a street car.....that they will not warranty if you turn said street car into a track car against opponents.

Be serious for just a moment. If you use launch control on the street and a cop comes by, you are gonna get a ticket for reckless driving. But car makers are not eliminating the feature because you can get a ticket for it.

They are walking a legal tight-rope trying to cater to the enthusiast, while limiting their liability. They know people are going to use launch control and line lock in parking lots, on back-roads....they just cannot endorse that, so they say use it at a legal track....just don't race....because we did not build you a race car.....it's a street car.

It's ridiculous that people give car makers over this.
Enthusiasts want these features, and when the car maker delivers, it's not enough?

It's not that hard to wrap your head around what they are doing and the legal tight rope they are walking.

The alternative, is a car that won't cater to the enthusiast.
Who wants that?
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (05-01-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
If GM finds out the car's problem was caused by your racing on the strip and see if they will cover anything for you under warranty. They did not say it will void warranty but "Abuse" is mentioned in pretty much every warranty i have seen, so they absolutely can void your warranty because you abused your car.

Sometimes these reverse psychology craps work better than anything.
Well yeah... there are a ton of ways to void your warranty. Anyone could misshift, overrev and turn their block into an expensive paperweight.

My point is don't advertise a cool feature if you're going to include a list of caveats along with it.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
how else do you think this cool feature will stand out from 10000 other cool features that everyone else is offering.

GTR's tranny issue pretty much helped Nissan to save million just in advertising from all the magazines.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

Again, try to understand, using line lock at the drag strip or at the track does not void the warranty. Ford is saying take your street car to the race track or drag strip......beat the clock. No issue whatsoever. Just understand that Ford is not giving a green light for the consumer to turn said street car into a race car against opponents.

It's all in understanding that Ford is offering a ton of cool enthusiast features for a street car.....that they will not warranty if you turn said street car into a track car against opponents.

Be serious for just a moment. If you use launch control on the street and a cop comes by, you are gonna get a ticket for reckless driving. But car makers are not eliminating the feature because you can get a ticket for it.

They are walking a legal tight-rope trying to cater to the enthusiast, while limiting their liability. They know people are going to use launch control and line lock in parking lots, on back-roads....they just cannot endorse that, so they say use it at a legal track....just don't race....because we did not build you a race car.....it's a street car.

Enthusiasts want these features, and when the car maker delivers, it's not enough?

It's not that hard to wrap your head around what they are doing and the legal tight rope they are walking.

Who wants that?
Weren't you the one who got upset about Nissan having a rev-matching feature on the manual 370Z? The feature that didn't void warranties and was disabled with a button?

I know it's simple. I understand why Ford put that small print. A good number of enthusiasts will disregard the warning, because as mentioned... how can Ford prove an issue stemmed from improper usage? As for other owners, it leaves them confused, and sometimes upset that they'd offer something... but with a big asterisk next to it. Having worked at a dealership, I would come across things like this a lot. People frown upon the manufacturer for it.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Weren't you the one who got upset about Nissan having a rev-matching feature on the manual 370Z? The feature that didn't void warranties and was disabled with a button?

I know it's simple. I understand why Ford put that small print. A good number of enthusiasts will disregard the warning, because as mentioned... how can Ford prove an issue stemmed from improper usage? As for other owners, it leaves them confused, and sometimes upset that they'd offer something... but with a big asterisk next to it. Having worked at a dealership, I would come across things like this a lot. People frown upon the manufacturer for it.
I dunno what my dislike of a feature in another car has to do with Ford offering an enthusiast feature with a caveat.

You speak of the consumer.....well, the consumer is typically not the smartest.
Only stupid people can't understand this.
Ford spelled it out VERY clearly.

The idea of getting rid of enthusiast features to satisfy the stupid portion of consumers is a fools errand.

...again THINK for a moment WHY Ford puts in the fine print the voided warranty racing "stuff".....it's all about LIABILITY.

As I stated before it's very cut and dry.
To on Ford for doing this is pretty short sided thinking.

Ever wonder why you have a disclaimer on your nav screen
....or should they eliminate that too.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
how else do you think this cool feature will stand out from 10000 other cool features that everyone else is offering.

GTR's tranny issue pretty much helped Nissan to save million just in advertising from all the magazines.
Don't get me started on the GT-R's launch control... what a joke. At least for the earlier models, they have a couple of pages set aside to track the number of times the transmission was replaced. They track the mileage when the car went in, and the technician who replaced it.

Planned obsolescence?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:30 PM

I dunno what my dislike of a feature in another car has to do with Ford offering an enthusiast feature with a caveat.
... nevermind.

You speak of the consumer.....well, the consumer is typically not the smartest.
Only stupid people can't understand this.
Ford spelled it out VERY clearly.

The idea of getting rid of enthusiast features to satisfy the stupid portion of consumers is a fools errand.

...again THINK for a moment WHY Ford puts in the fine print the voided warranty racing "stuff".....it's all about LIABILITY.

As I stated before it's very cut and dry.
To on Ford for doing this is pretty short sided thinking.

Well then herpa-derp, I don't understand this. Not once did I mention they should omit features like this. Or shunned Ford for even offering it, period. If anything, I still think it's an infinitely inferior option to launch control. Who the hell doesn't know how to do a burnout? How many of you have even considered putting a line lock on any of your cars at any point in time?

No, keep the disclaimer on the navigation screen. Why not throw it back to the '80s? Have a chime that goes off when you go over 55/65 mph. We have to limit the manufacturer's liability!

I could prattle on and on saying the same thing, but again, I've been directly involved with manufacturer literature, tipping toeing the line with weasel words... it's nothing new to me.

Let's not forget that there was a huge class-action settlement involving the whole GT-R launch control voiding your warranty. But hey, putting that literature in there sure saved Nissan's ass.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:38 PM

Go ahead and void owners warranties for using a touted feature that came with the car. I'm sure that'll go over great!

http://jalopnik.com/5565919/this-is-...ty-settlement/
Old 04-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Let's be serious for just a moment.

Car enthusiasts long for cool features like this, and Ford delivered. Kudos to Ford.

At the same time Ford has to cover themselves from idiots and lawsuits from idiots by stating "not for racing"..."warranty voided"...etc and so on.

Keep in mind, as we all know, this Mustang is a street car not a race car / track car ...hence they have to void the warranty if it is used as such, as Ford cannot and does not want to be liable for what happens to a street car on a track.

The fine-print may seem a bit back-assward, but give Ford credit for doing what they can to provide these cool features for the car enthusiast.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Keep in mind, Ford has no issues with the car being driven in a race against the clock....track or drag strip.
Its BS. Plain and simple. Its nothing more than saying the motor makes 400 hp, but you can only use 300.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Who wants that?
When was the last time you went to a drag strip and went against a clock???? Every time i have been to one its timed, Often to see if i can beat the car next to me time.

Its not ridiculous that many think its BS. It is ridiculous that they have to say that to keep themselves from being legally liable in the court.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

And yes, i think they should eliminate that too, or at the very minimum after having selected i agree/understand once have it not come on EVERY SINGLE TIME I START the car. If you are that stupid that you need to "understand/Agree" every time you shouldnt be driving.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:57 PM

The main issue is our legislative system, if anything. If our country weren't so sue-happy, things like these wouldn't be an issue.
charliemike (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 02:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Now you are showing understanding.

What some of you complain about and call B.S.....is a car maker trying to give enthusiasts what they desire, and limit their liability from the idiots that will for sure try to blame the car maker for said "feature" when something goes wrong.

Don't hate the car maker. Hate the idiot "victim mentality" consumer, and the litigation system run amok.
00TL-P3.2 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,859 Likes on 14,004 Posts
Post 2015 Ford Mustang Convertible on the Empire State Building

S'more info on how Ford got the Accord, er, I mean Mustang onto the Empire State Building...

Press release...

As the world honors 50 years of Ford Mustang, what better way to celebrate one of the most iconic car brands than putting one back on top of one of the most iconic buildings? When Ford and the Empire State Building decided to display a new 2015 Mustang convertible on the 86th floor observation deck, Ford turned to a longtime supplier for the unique expertise required to make this happen.

In a world where tiny startups are regularly swallowed up by established behemoths, Ford Motor Company and Romulus, Mich.-based DST Industries have been collaborators for nearly six decades. In 1965 – the only other time in the Empire State Building’s 83-year history a car was displayed on its open-air deck – a DST crew was on hand to show off that Mustang convertible.

“This week, the band is getting back together as Ford and DST bring the all-new Mustang to the Empire State Building to honor 50 years on sale,” said Dave Pericak, Mustang chief engineer. “We’ve taken the new Mustang to new heights of technology and refinement, so we decided to take it to new heights literally for this celebration.”

The all-new Mustang may be more advanced than ever before, but sometimes physical limitations demand old-school techniques to get a job done.
“When our engineers sat down with the DST team to start plotting this out in mid-February, everyone quickly realized that some old-school craftsmanship would be needed to successfully place this car more than 1,000 feet above the crowded streets of Manhattan,” said George Samulski, manager, Ford North America design fabrication. “The deck is too high to reach with a portable crane from the street, and the spire that towers more than 400 feet above that narrow deck makes helicopter delivery impossible.”

The only other car display on the Empire State Building observation deck happened in October 1965, when a crew from DST, including retired technician Claude Cochran, sectioned a Mustang convertible so that it could be fit into the elevators of the building.

Following a site inspection in New York to meticulously measure all of the elevators and doors, the engineering team in Dearborn sat down with a scale model of the new Mustang and started drawing lines on it with a marker to represent where it should be cut. The Empire State Building is a historic landmark, with original art deco wood and brass trim in the elevators, so it was crucial to ensure everything have plenty of clearance.

“The only real problem we had in 1965 was the steering wheel,” said Cochran. “When we tried to roll the middle section of the car with the windshield removed into the elevator, the top of the wheel stuck out a bit too far through the door, so we had to tip the cart a bit to get it in.”

In preparing for the 2014 event, the team at DST worked with two early prototype Mustang convertible body shells. The car that would ultimately make the trip to New York was completely stripped down and the surface cleaned up to make sure everything looked perfect before it was sectioned and painted.

The second body was used as a donor by DST metal fabricators to determine where to make the cuts and to fit a custom-built tubular steel subframe that would hold all the sections together. The fabricators built custom rolling carts and wooden crates for each section.

Getting from the loading dock to the observation deck requires riding a freight elevator and two separate passenger elevators. A wood mockup of the smallest elevator was built in the DST shop in Romulus to verify everything would fit. Each of the loaded carts was then weighed to ensure everything stayed within the weight limits of the elevator and the observation deck.

“The observation deck is open to the public from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m., leaving our crew of six with only a six-hour window to get everything out onto the deck and get the car assembled,” said Pericak. “Before we shipped the crates to New York, the crew spent several days practicing the entire assembly process – timing everything down to the minute – much like a NASCAR or Formula One pit crew.”

With several weeks of fabricating and practice behind them, and the crates on a truck and headed to New York, the DST crew is resting up ahead of some long nights this week assembling and disassembling the Mustang.
The Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang convertible will be on display for visitors to the Empire State Building observation deck April 16-17. When the deck closes to the public at 2 a.m. April 18, the crew will descend on the display car to reverse the entire process and remove it before visitors return at 8 a.m.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Some pics of the Accord/Mustang in transport to the Empire State Building...

Old 04-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Assembling the Accord/Mustang...

Old 04-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Aerial view of the Mustang...

Old 04-30-2014, 05:40 PM

I know there's not much breathing room, but my first instinct is that it would have been much easier, and much faster to just have a Mustang air-lifted via helo.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I imagine insurance companies wouldn't be too happy having 3800 pounds dangling several hundred feet above one of the most congested cities in the world.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Cool move by Ford/Mustang
Old 04-30-2014, 05:52 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Super cool.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I know there's not much breathing room, but my first instinct is that it would have been much easier, and much faster to just have a Mustang air-lifted via helo.
The "mast" on the Empire State Building renders a helicopter delivery a "no go".
Old 05-01-2014, 01:36 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,475 Likes on 932 Posts

Old 05-20-2014, 03:15 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Pricing has been leaked.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/20/2...rmation-leaks/

Originally Posted by Autoblog
The big news this morning was that the 2015 Ford Mustang would start at $24,425, including its destination pricing. The big news this afternoon is, well, bigger.

Mustang6G.com has come up with what it claims is pricing info for the entire Mustang line, rather than just the V6. That means we know all about the EcoBoost and GT prices now, which, when combined with the dealer order sheets we reported on last week, gives us our clearest look yet at how the Mustang can be outfitted (we're still a bit short on pricing info for some standalone options, like paint premiums and such).

The base EcoBoost starts at $25,995, while the GT rings up at $32,925.

The base V6 wears the code-name 050A, while the base EcoBoost is 100A and the base GT is 300A. All prices include the $825 destination charge.

We already know the most basic, V6-powered Mustang, the 050A, starts at $24,425. The upgraded V6, which Ford identifies as 051A, costs $25,420 and adds 18-inch wheels, LED foglamps, a six-way power drivers seat and a body color spoiler.

The base EcoBoost starts at $25,995, while the GT rings up at $32,925 (a $1,715 increase). Regardless of engine, the Premium trims, code-named 200A and 400A, respectively, are virtually identical. They add selectable drive modes, a number of interior styling bits (ambient lighting, aluminum foot pedals, etc.), a nine-speaker stereo in place of the standard six-speaker setup and an eight-inch color display with MyFord Touch. Moving from the EcoBoost 100A to 200A drives the price up to $29,995, while upgrading the GT from 300A to 400A ups the ante to $36,100 (a $790 increase over the current GT Premium).

The Premium models themselves have an extra equipment pack, code-named 201A on the EcoBoost and 401A on the GT. Regardless of engine, this package adds a 12-speaker Shaker stereo, HD radio, memory seats with two settings and blind-spot monitoring. The EcoBoost 201A costs $31,790 while the GT 401A costs $38,720.

The GT Performance Pack, which adds a whole wealth of performance-oriented options including a strut-tower brace, a larger radiator, a stiffened suspension, six-piston Brembo brakes, 19-inch wheels and a 3.73 rear end, will cost $2,495 (identical to the 2014 GT Performance Pack's price). It's not entirely clear if the EcoBoost Performance Pack, which offers essentially the same options, is priced the similarly (although it seems reasonable to assume).

Other standalone options include navigation ($795), Recaro leather seats ($1,595, the same as 2014), an Enhanced Security Package ($395) and floormats ($85). The destination charge, which we included in all the prices above, is $825. Last, but certainly not least, the Fiftieth Anniversary Mustang GT will start at $46,995.

So, loyal readers, what do you think? Does this pricing strategy seem reasonable? Now that you know what each trim level costs, which would you choose? Have your say in Comments.
If this is all true, I think the Mustang should sell quite well.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:39 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
that is awesome pricing...makes it very very affordable
Old 05-20-2014, 03:40 PM

hell, a lot mileage 3G TL-S 6MT sell for 23-25K LOL
Old 05-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
My wife hates mustangs, but this would certainly make my list of cars to check out.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:25 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Priced very well.

They are gonna sell them in droves!
Old 05-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Saw a new GT with LED fogs at night. Looked and sounded very very nice.

For some reason i just can't bring myself to buy a Mustang even though i like it a lot.

Maybe it is the in me.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2015 Ford Mustang Convertible

Press release...

The clean-sheet design of both Mustang fastback and convertible evokes the essential character of the brand, retaining key design elements – including the long sculpted hood and short rear deck – with contemporary execution.
“You only get one chance to make a first impression, and when you see this car you immediately see a Mustang strong and true,” said Moray Callum, Ford executive director, design, The Americas.

Several key design features define the all-new Mustang, including:

- A lower, wider stance with a reduction in roof height, and wider rear fenders and track
- The return of Mustang fastback with a sleeker profile enabled by more steeply sloped windshield and rear glass
- Three-dimensional, tri-bar taillamps with sequential turn signals
- Contemporary execution of the signature shark-bite front fascia and trapezoidal grille

Mustang convertible drivers will appreciate the standard multilayer insulated cloth top that gives the car a more upscale appearance and a quieter cabin. The new top lowers twice as fast as before, and has a sleeker profile when folded for open-air motoring.

The information and controls an active driver needs are all readily accessible in the aviation-inspired cockpit, which is executed with the highest degree of craftsmanship ever found in a Mustang. Large, clear instrumentation puts vehicle information right in front of the driver in the roomier cabin, while improved ergonomics and tactile switches and knobs provide better control. The added width and a new rear suspension contribute to improved shoulder and hip room for passengers, and a more usefully shaped trunk can accommodate two golf bags.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Some pics of the Honda Accord Converti...er, I mean Ford Mustang Convertible...

RPhilMan1 (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 05:34 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
looks like they intended to have the top off.

looks great!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Originally Posted by Yumcha
I love that color combo! And the wheels are great.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Ugh
Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

I'll take the hard top, please.

I'm not a big convertible fan, but this one is "nice", but seems a bit "off".
That almost perfectly straight line from the top of the front fender to the top of the rear fender makes the design look a bit too "plain Jane" to me.

This however gets me excited:
The information and controls an active driver needs are all readily accessible in the aviation-inspired cockpit, which is executed with the highest degree of craftsmanship ever found in a Mustang.
Color me impressed.....the current and past Mustang interiors have been some of the most appalling on the road. I really want to see this interior up close. Hopefully the materials and finishes are top notch.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Cool First 500 Ford Mustangs For Europe Sell Out in 30 Seconds

Wow, them Europeans love the Honda Accord!

Seriously, this is impressive. Good job, Ford.

Ford recently opened up the order books for its 2015 Mustang in Europe, and within 30 seconds the first 500 cars destined for the old continent were snapped up. In an interesting move, Ford Motor Company [NYSE:F] opened up the order books during last weekend’s final for the UEFA Champions League, which saw Real Madrid CF beat Club Atlético de Madrid 4-1 after extra time. It proved successful, with more than 9,300 orders garnered from Mustang fans hopeful to be among the first 500 owners of the sixth-generation pony car in Europe.

The 500 new Mustangs were allocated across 20 countries. Ford will in the next few weeks contact the buyers from each of these countries who were quickest to place their reservation to let them know they have been successful. Each buyer will then be invited to complete their order at a dealership later this year but will have to wait until 2015 for delivery. Deliveries here are expected to start this fall.

Ford limited the first 500 examples to either Race Red for buyers interested in the coupe or Magnetic Silver for the convertible. The buyers also have to choose from either the Mustang EcoBoost model or Mustang GT. The base Mustang equipped with a V-6 won’t be offered in Europe.

All 500 examples will feature Ford’s latest SYNC system; navigation; heated and ventilated seats; Park Assist; black leather trim; chrome detailing; and 19-inch alloy wheels.

This is the first time in the Mustang's 50-year history that the car is being sold in Europe by Ford. Previous generations were typically sold in limited numbers by third party importers.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-in-30-seconds
Old 05-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Can't wait to drive one.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by charliemike
Can't wait to drive one.
Honda dealership close to you?
swoosh (05-29-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 02:33 PM

Old 05-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
S'more info on how Ford got the Accord, er, I mean Mustang onto the Empire State Building...

Press release...

Wow, them Europeans love the Honda Accord!
3 Accord jokes in one page!

RPhilMan1 (05-30-2014)

Quick Reply: Ford: Mustang News