Ford: 500 news

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Mulally is just trying to show Ford who's boss. "You killed the Taurus name? Well, I'm in charge now and I'm bring it back. So there!" You know, I don't care. Both names inspire outrageous amounts of apathy. If he really wants to turn Ford around, Mulally will have to come up with something innovative. Maybe if they bring some Euro-Fords over here it'll help. The problem is, Ford likes to do things on the cheap. Maybe he should take a page from Goshn's book: Cut costs but make the cars fun to look at and drive, quality be damned.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:16 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by DEI99662
"Taurus is a wonderful brand that's fondly remembered by a great many people and it's been fantastic to see so many reminders of that on blogs and other web sites," Cain said.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...3_FORTUNE5.htm

tauruszine.com

Mullally has his work cut out for him, I'm not feeling very optimistic about his chances. Ford insiders already have him pegged as the fall guy.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

Hey Ford, if you make a great car, you can call it anything you want....and people will beat a path to your door.
Hit the nail on the head... Make a good car and call it anything you want... Taurus, 500, Fusaurus, 50zion, whatever...
Old 02-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by S A CHO
Hit the nail on the head... Make a good car and call it anything you want... Taurus, 500, Fusaurus, 50zion, whatever...
Fusaurus! I love it. Sounds like an alien from Futurama.

I'm gonna start a Fusaurus campaign. Ford: Build the Fusaurus now!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:09 PM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by AcuraFan
Fusaurus! I love it. Sounds like an alien from Futurama.

I'm gonna start a Fusaurus campaign. Ford: Build the Fusaurus now!
Fusaurus 500, Edge edition.

Thats actually got a nice ring to it
Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I'm not feeling very optimistic about his chances. Ford insiders already have him pegged as the fall guy.
He has been on the job for how long It takes a while to enact change in a large company.

Wait a year or so then make some assessments.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:06 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this really isn't a bad idea because taurus used to be a top seller.

and the ads will be like

ALL NEW TAURUS

TAURUS LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The name does not matter. The product matters and up to now the 500 has been a liability. Could the latest facelift and new drivetrain boost sales? Probably yes. But enough to make a big difference? I doubt it.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Ford and Honda seem to have opposite problems. Ford can't seem to have a good enough model name to bring back, while Honda (Acura) just keeps throwing them away (e.g., Legend, NSX?)
Old 02-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
@ Fusaurus and tauruszine.com
Old 02-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,858 Likes on 2,579 Posts
Damn ford really is doing a great job making decisions that will turn the copmany around.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Since they are ditching the 500 name, how about ditching the Fusion, calling it a Mondeo so that when they get around to bringing the Euro one over, the name is already established?

Hello???
Old 02-08-2007, 08:44 PM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by charliemike
Since they are ditching the 500 name, how about ditching the Fusion, calling it a Mondeo so that when they get around to bringing the Euro one over, the name is already established?

Hello???
Best idea ever.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike

Hello???
I vote Tempo
Old 02-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I vote Tempo
....cause we all know what an awesome car that was.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by dom
I vote Tempo
Aww man, that names bring back memories. Picture High school, You walk out to your Doo-Doo Brown 82 Ford Tempo Coupe' after a hard day in classes. You pop the hood, reach under the car and get your strategically placed Parkay Bowl. You pour the oil in that bowl back in to the engine and drive it slowly home while enjoying the undulations of the "rocking horse" suspension. AAHHHH, the good old days!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:43 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by alphason'sac
Aww man, that names bring back memories. Picture High school, You walk out to your Doo-Doo Brown 82 Ford Tempo Coupe' after a hard day in classes. You pop the hood, reach under the car and get your strategically placed Parkay Bowl. You pour the oil in that bowl back in to the engine and drive it slowly home while enjoying the undulations of the "rocking horse" suspension. AAHHHH, the good old days!

My buddy in high school had one. He still talks about it to this day. He loved that car.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by dom

My buddy in high school had one. He still talks about it to this day. He loved that car.
It was a cool car with some......quirks. I loved it until It lived up to it's maker's name.

I Found it On the Road Dead.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

<-----parents and mother inlaw owned one. (94 4dr LX V6 and 89 GL, respectively)

When I worked at Hertz back in the 90s I recall when that car class shifted from the Tempo/Topaz to Contours; as rough around the edges as the Contour/Mystique was, it was tons better than the Tempo.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F23A4
<-----parents and mother inlaw owned one. (94 4dr LX V6 and 89 GL, respectively)

When I worked at Hertz back in the 90s I recall when that car class shifted from the Tempo/Topaz to Contours; as rough around the edges as the Contour/Mystique was, it was tons better than the Tempo.

Same buddy went from the Tempo into a Contour SVT. Better to drive yes, but it didn't prove as reliable.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^ I can believe that. The Contour/Mystique were a pair of the biggest pieces of crap Ford ever produced in the past 10 years. The Hertz models we drove were nicer to drive than the Tempo but began to fall apart not long after a little use. (i.e.: interior trim pieces popping out of place under hard braking or acceleration. )
Old 02-09-2007, 12:23 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I vote Tempo

hell no. I had the Mercury Topaz as a teen and only nightmares from that car
Contour/Mystique > Tempo/Topaz

I even had a pool of water forming at the drivers side foot rest
Old 02-09-2007, 12:28 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
wow... i knew a guy who had that doo-doo brown tempo too
Old 02-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by Black Tire
I even had a pool of water forming at the drivers side foot rest
You too! I forgot about that part! How about when you try to make a tight turn and the car just cut-off? Aw man, memories. Having that car made me appreciate the ones that came after it. In high school, I didn't really care, because all I wanted was something with wheels on it (and that's actually what i got). But soon after, my taste improved greatly. I bought an '86 Ford Taurus I won't even get started on that thing.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by Infamous425
wow... i knew a guy who had that doo-doo brown tempo too
Yeah, I bet that Al Bundy would have traded in his Plymouth in a hurry to get at the Doo-Doo Brown Classic.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had to take a rental Contour up to school once when my car needed to go to the shop the day before I was supposed to leave. Man that thing was a piece of shit, and had NO power whatsoever. That was a long drive.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:50 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

You too! I forgot about that part! How about when you try to make a tight turn and the car just cut-off? Aw man, memories. Having that car made me appreciate the ones that came after it. In high school, I didn't really care, because all I wanted was something with wheels on it (and that's actually what i got). But soon after, my taste improved greatly. I bought an '86 Ford Taurus I won't even get started on that thing.
Let me give you a list:

1. Exhaust system would completely rust. Replacements would rust as well.
2. Radio buttons died.
3. Windshield at the bottom left hand corner would separate.
4. Back seat came off during major potholes in road.
5. Rear passenger strut came undone. A loud thud sound can be heard
anytime the car would move.
6. Engine started to go at 70k…engine died at 85k.
7. Any wheel alignment would come un-done after 10K.
8. Brakes sucked, even replacement brakes sucked.
9. As mentioned, water formed at driver foot rest.
10. Paint was awful.
11. The quality of a Tonka truck was better then the quality of the interior.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:59 PM
6th Gear

I think it's a case of Ford CON-Fusion
Old 02-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by Black Tire
Let me give you a list:

3. Windshield at the bottom left hand corner would separate.
4. Back seat came off during major potholes in road.
5. Rear passenger strut came undone. A loud thud sound can be heard
anytime the car would move.
................................DAMN!

Thank you for that Black Tire. I am glad that I only had that thing for 1 year before it died. The mileage was 60K.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:20 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Well now you know why I shiver at the thought at anyone owning a Ford. Using that car was a very traumatic experience in my life that I would never want my worst enemy to experience.

................................DAMN!

Thank you for that Black Tire. I am glad that I only had that thing for 1 year before it died. The mileage was 60K.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2008 Ford Taurus Unveiled - - Text & Photos edited by Clinton Deacon - - Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/

New Ford Taurus features more than 500 engineering changes, making it more distinctive, quieter, faster and safer.

3.5-liter Duratec V-6 delivers an estimated 260 horsepower – an increase of nearly 30 percent from the previous engine.

Standard electronic stability control and available all-wheel drive provide confident ride and handling in all weather conditions.

Ford Sync™ offers new levels of connection, control, simplicity and personalization for electronic devices such as cell phones and MP3 players

Taurus will reach showrooms this summer.

The 2008 Ford Taurus features more than 500 improvements that make it more distinctive, quieter, faster and safer. Highlights include new exterior styling, a new powertrain, a new all-wheel-drive system, more standard safety features – including standard electronic stability control – and structural upgrades to further enhance crash protection.

“Customers will find the 2008 Taurus delivers more of what they are looking for, including a strong design, high-quality interior, power and performance, must-have features like Ford Sync and a great safety reputation,” said Cisco Codina, Ford’s group vice president, Marketing, Sales and Service.

The 2008 Taurus features Ford’s 3.5-liter Duratec V-6 that delivers an estimated 260 horsepower – an increase of nearly 30 percent from the previous engine – and 245 pound-feet of torque. It is mated to the same smooth shifting, six-speed automatic transmission as the new Ford Edge.

Importantly to customers, even with more power and performance, the 2008 Taurus delivers real-world fuel economy similar to outgoing Five Hundred – thanks to advancements in powertrain technology.

New exterior design is more emotional, more Ford

The new look of the 2008 Taurus suggests the same proven emotional appeal of the popular Ford Fusion. The new Taurus features the Ford brand’s signature three-bar chrome grille, a sculpted hood with crisp accent lines and a new front fascia chamfered at the outer edges, adding more structure to the design.

New taillamps carry a strong, horizontal theme to the rear, while a new rear fascia houses dual chrome-tipped exhausts. Chrome side vents, door handles and mirror caps give the high-line model a more expensive appearance.

Ultra-quiet interior and plush ride

Interior quietness is often associated with a customer’s perception of overall quality. For 2008 the Taurus team has delivered interior quietness that rivals many luxury cars. The new sound package includes such technologies as expandable foam pellets in the A-pillars to reduce wind noise and the use of an advanced sound-deadening material called Sonosorb™ in the doors, headliner and pillars. Sonosorb increases sound-deadening efficiency by 20 percent while retaining the same thickness as the material it replaces.

Engineers also reduced road noise by stiffening the area where the rear package shelf meets the floor pan. Even the new climate control system is 50 percent quieter than before.

Taurus’s plush, confident ride is further improved for 2008.

Upgrades include revised shock towers that help increase front suspension travel by 10 percent, new dampers and springs in both front and rear, and a revised, retuned rear suspension.

One of the most significant changes is how the engine is mounted in the vehicle. The engine was previously mounted to the front subframe. On the 2008 Taurus, the engine and transmission are bolted to the body with hydraulic mounts to reduce vibration. By moving the roughly 600-pound powerpack off the subframe, engineers were able to better tune the suspension and, ultimately, create an even better ride.

Maximum convenience and space

A large majority of customers shopping in the large car segment place front seat roominess as a key want (86 percent) while many also prioritize cargo capacity (63 percent). Answering these desires, the 2008 Taurus features the most spacious interior of any large sedan, with best-in-class legroom front and rear and 60/40-split fold-flat second-row of seats. With the fold-flat front-passenger seat, items up to nine-feet long can fit inside.

Taurus also offers a number of must-have technologies. In addition to a standard auxiliary audio input jack, available convenience features include a voice-activated navigation system, a DVD entertainment system and factory-installed SIRIUS® satellite radio.

Ford Sync™ is also available on the new 2008 Ford Taurus. Sync is a voice-activated hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system which fully-integrates mobile phones and digital media players. The Sync in-car communications system was developed in collaboration with Microsoft and will be offered exclusively on 12 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury products in North America beginning this year.

Building on safety leadership

Research routinely demonstrates that safety features are at the top of customers shopping lists. For example, nearly 70 percent of shoppers are interested in side air bags and 65 percent are interested in electronic stability control. Both are standard on the new 2008 Taurus.

With these standard features, the 2008 Ford Taurus is expected to be segment leader in safety, capable of achieving five stars ratings in all four categories for the U.S. government’s crash tests.

Ford’s AdvanceTrac® electronic stability control system can predict the vehicle’s intentions using a sensor to detect and measure oversteer and yaw by monitoring the vehicle’s speed, throttle position and steering wheel angle. When the system senses wheel slip, engine torque is reduced and braking is applied where needed to help keep the car tracking safely on its intended path.

Additional standard safety equipment includes dual-stage driver and passenger front air bags, seat-deployed side air bags for driver and front passenger, and Ford’s Safety Canopy™ side curtain air bags for both rows. For an added measure of safety, a new steering wheel design recesses the air bag 15 millimeters farther away from the driver.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The front main lights need to be redesigned. From certain angles this car looks worse than the 500.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by gavriil
The front main lights need to be redesigned. From certain angles this car looks worse than the 500.
I just don't think any of this is working. The 500 was at least nice looking. It was a boring copy of the previous Passat, but it was nice. This looks like a hasty last minute move to try and spice something up. It looks like it wasn't thought out very well IMHO. I actually hate that they did this to the 500. They could have just done the engine upgrade because that's what the biggest complaints I heard about it were. Yeah it was bland, but at least it wasnt ugly.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:31 PM
how handsome I am

it's not bad, but its certainly not good either.

Try again ford.

god damnit i just finished reading all the features. Could've been a nice car if it wasnt so fucking ugly.

Last edited by agranado; 02-13-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:35 PM
hail to the victors

ok, now that's much much worse than the current 500.

and interior is way too last gen kia amanti.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:35 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

This redesign was not done with renaming it to the Taurus in mind. If that was the case they would not have debuted this refreshed 500 at Detroit.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Looks like an old Korean luxo interior from 4 years ago.
The exterior is weird...I guess it's better than the original, but it's still bad.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Pics no worky already!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:45 PM
how handsome I am

and it only goes up to 120 with 260 hp?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:46 PM
how handsome I am

And what the fuck is up with all these car companies going altezza tail lights. It was barely acceptable on the IS300, and everyone else has fugged it.

Quick Reply: Ford: 500 news