Finally, Jeff's First Drive Review At Tov!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally, Jeff's First Drive Review At Tov!!!

They put it up today!

We have been waiting forever!!

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=151671

They were able to take it on a racetrack!
Old 10-13-2003, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

WOW! It took me forever to read this review. It is sooo in depth, and I think aside from Edmunds this is one of the first reviews in which the person actually drove the car...Great review! Many questions regarding performance were answered by Jeff... Why did Acura alter the track to lower speeds?

Great work TOV!
Old 10-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

nice write up... still wishing for FR car.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:35 PM
TSX Lover

Great review!!!! I can't wait to take a test drive of the 6MT.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
It's about time, I've been waiting a long time for that. I still want a video shoot!!!!

My favorite part:

(Jeff) "This is a car designed for enthusiasts, but "purists" might dismiss it due to its FF (Front engine, front wheel drive) layout. While I would personally love to see a high performance FR sedan from Honda/Acura, Acura's persistence in delivering FF cars is at least finally resulting in really great road cars. While it may ultimately fall short of an FR setup at the limit on a racetrack, I'm confident that the difference is virtually nil on the street, and given its power, balance, and poise, it will definitely hold its own against the best sport sedans. And how many people are shopping 530is, G35s, or A6s for track days? To dismiss this car before driving it purely based upon its drivetrain layout is a big mistake. "

Yup, Jeff, it certainly would be.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:00 PM
Race Director

I like this part:

Similarly, the 6MT TL should be at least as quick as last year's 6MT CL Type S. In fact, with its better tires and seemingly better weight transfer characteristics, it should be able to get out of the hole a bit quicker than the CL. The added top end power and quicker clutch engagement should be worth a full tenth or so, so I'm going to say this car should hit 60 in 5.7 to 5.8 seconds.
Damn High 5's for 0-60!

This car's gonna be fast!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by neuronbob
My favorite part:

(Jeff) "This is a car designed for enthusiasts, but "purists" might dismiss it due to its FF (Front engine, front wheel drive) layout. While I would personally love to see a high performance FR sedan from Honda/Acura, Acura's persistence in delivering FF cars is at least finally resulting in really great road cars. While it may ultimately fall short of an FR setup at the limit on a racetrack, I'm confident that the difference is virtually nil on the street, and given its power, balance, and poise, it will definitely hold its own against the best sport sedans. And how many people are shopping 530is, G35s, or A6s for track days? To dismiss this car before driving it purely based upon its drivetrain layout is a big mistake. "
Neuronbob, this was my fav part too. Very true.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:39 PM
TSX Lover

"To dismiss this car before driving it purely based upon its drivetrain layout is a big mistake. "
That is OK we don't want any snobs driving Acura's any how. Just remember:
"What is the different between a BMW and a porcupine? A porcupine has pricks on the outside."

No offense to any former BMW owners that now have seen the light.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am only a prick on mondays.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:42 AM
More On

......My favorite part:.....
Well, here are my favorite parts:

.....With the brilliant TSX setting the tone for the new generation of Acura perfomance sedans, things are indeed looking up.
......The TL is extremely handsome, but next to the TSX's clean cut, some may find it to be a bit overwrought.....
Along with the basic overall shape, the TL shares the TSX's excellent road presence.......This new model is a knockout, and the strong family resemblance to the TSX strengthens the Acura bloodline.....
The seats have been completely redesigned, and assuming they're as good as the units in the TSX and '03 Accord, they should offer a significant improvement in both comfort and support over last year's model.....

He would have loved to do a direct comparison to the TSX. He says he wished he could have driven a TSX on the same course (they had TSX's there) but wasn't allowed to.

A couple other things:
-- He actually likes the "fake wood."
-- He talks a lot about the Bluetooth and how it is.

Finally, in answer to those who have made certain assumptions based on it being a "TL" (still in my opinion a mistake on Acura's part to have kept that name) and not costing more than it does:

Compared to the outgoing model, the 2004 TL represents an incredible advance in basically every category worth consideration. The '03 model was considered a great value, but the '04 surpasses it in terms of performance, styling, safety, technology, luxury, and quality - all at a price that's very close to last year's Type S model.