Finally, 6MT test drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 06:24 PM
TSX Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally, 6MT test drive

I was pleasantly surprised when I took my Vigor in for service today. I was looking around at all the 04TLs and 04TSXs. I was giving the camel in the TL another look with a salesman when I just casually asked “when are you going to get any 6MTs in?” He said “we have a black one over here”. I mean a TL, not a TSX. He said “it is a TL”. Oh really!!!! Even though it was a tad wet (light rain was falling) I had to give it a whirl.

My first impression was that 1st was a really, really tall gear and I had trouble keeping the car from stalling. Nothing wrong with the car, it just required an adjustment on my part. The tranny has the same gear ratios as the Accord Coupe and CL type S, but man this thing was smooth. Along with a very similar clutch feel as the TSX the 6MT shifter on the TL is very precise and easy to shift, a lot like the TSX and much better than the before mentioned coupes. The notches seem to be a little different than the TSX. Reverse didn’t seem to be as far over in right field for example.

Since the conditions were wet I didn’t push the car as hard as I would like. I never get the RPMs very high, but I never had too. This car fly!! Much more responsive than the 5AT and faster than the TSX. No torque steer!!! I love the LSD. With FWD and 270 hp, don’t leave without it. I turned the VSA off a little as well. A lot of fun, but it is a little more refined with it on.

I drove through some twisty windies of a park and over a few speed bumps. The suspension was very similar to the TSX. The ride over the bumps seemed to be even a tad more harsh, but I wouldn’t swear to it. The handling is much improved over the 5AT, but I still give the edge to the TSX there. The gap is definitely a close one, however.

Now for the fun part of the test-drive: I was in a round-about and returning to the dealer when a bastard in an IS300 (I know that is redundant) failed to yield entering the roundabout and jumped into my lane. A quick downshift and tap on the gas and I smoked him like he was standing still.

I can't imagine a FWD with "better" acceleration than the TL. And before I get flamed, let me define "better". This car is both quick and fast, but also no torque steer, no spinning tires off the line. Drive by wire in the 6MT is lightning fast. The car is the modern personification of "better" acceleration.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Racer

Thanks pr. I have been waiting for a member review to note some of the particulars of the 6MT transmission and handling. . Sounds like I should just hold on with my order for my 6MT. I was hoping it would handle like a TSX with more power. Maybe not quite, but close.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:39 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by lakeman
Thanks pr. I have been waiting for a member review to note some of the particulars of the 6MT transmission and handling. . Sounds like I should just hold on with my order for my 6MT. I was hoping it would handle like a TSX with more power. Maybe not quite, but close.
The power is incredible and addicting!! The control you get with the power is amazing.

To me the personality of the 6MT TL is more like a thoroughbred. Were the 6MT TSX is more cat like, a panther!!! Either way, with the 6MT these cars really shine. I have been driving Acura’s since 92 and I can’t put into words how impressed I am with these 2 new models.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:46 PM
10th Gear

Hi prballard
The one you test drive is with the Navi or without the Navi? And which dealership you went to? Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by prballard
The power is incredible and addicting!! The control you get with the power is amazing.

To me the personality of the 6MT TL is more like a thoroughbred. Were the 6MT TSX is more cat like, a panther!!! Either way, with the 6MT these cars really shine. I have been driving Acura’s since 92 and I can’t put into words how impressed I am with these 2 new models.
And if you had to choose between the 6MT TSX and 6MT TL, which would it be?
Old 10-28-2003, 06:53 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by zima76
Hi prballard
The one you test drive is with the Navi or without the Navi? And which dealership you went to? Thanks
The dealership is in Lexington, KY. They didn't have any Navi models. They also said this the only 6MT they are getting until December.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:57 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by Cornell77
That is the question, isn't it? I wish I knew the answer.

Before this test drive I was 80/20 TSX. Now I would say it is 60/40. I am going to take my DVD-Audio, DTS, and best CD collection the next time I go. That may even narrow the gap more.

$6K and change is still, $6K and change.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:59 PM
10th Gear

of course TL is the only choice, since TL got 270HP.. simple common sense
Old 10-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Intermediate

That is the question, isn't it? I wish I knew the answer.

Before this test drive I was 80/20 TSX. Now I would say it is 60/40. I am going to take my DVD-Audio, DTS, and best CD collection the next time I go. That may even narrow the gap more.

$6K and change is still, $6K and change.
If either were available to you for a free three year lease, which would you choose?
Old 10-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Next question to my wife after reading this review: "Hey, honey, would you like my car? You do? Well, I'll trade in your Accord for my 6MT TL. What? You can't drive stick? Too bad, baby! Doghouse? Oh, all right, I won't do it..."

Nice review, pr!
Old 10-28-2003, 07:11 PM
TSX Lover

If either were available to you for a free three year lease, which would you choose?
I honestly don't know at this time, but I was thinking about that (real lease, not a free one) on the drive home. In that thought experiment, the answer was TSX.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:22 PM
Racer

As usual Acura-TSX has the first 04 TL 6MT member review. Thanks again pr! The two TL features that are pushing me to the TL over the TSX are the rear seat room and the - I have tried the DVD-A (WOW) - sound system. Can't wait
Old 10-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Re: Finally, 6MT test drive

I drove through some twisty windies of a park and over a few speed bumps. The suspension was very similar to the TSX. The ride over the bumps seemed to be even a tad more harsh, but I wouldn’t swear to it. The handling is much improved over the 5AT, but I still give the edge to the TSX there. The gap is definitely a close one, however.

Can you describe in more detail how the handling seemed to differ between the 6MT TL and the 5AT TL? Thanks! Great mini-review!
Old 10-28-2003, 07:49 PM
TSX Lover

Re: Re: Finally, 6MT test drive

Can you describe in more detail how the handling seemed to differ between the 6MT TL and the 5AT TL? Thanks! Great mini-review!
The suspension is stiffer, a lot more road feel. It was less roll and sway. I think the TSX is a tad bit stiffer in this regard.

It was wet so, I couldn't really evaulate the better brakes (than the 5AT).

I wish I could be more technical, but it just has a firmer, more sporty feel.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:56 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you ask them if their MT were ordered with the high performance tires or just the all seasons? It makes a big difference.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:00 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by justinjsw
Did you ask them if their MT were ordered with the high performance tires or just the all seasons? It makes a big difference.
All season. High performance wouldn't be playing fair for my comparison anyway. You have to compare apples to apples.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

How did the brakes look?
Old 10-28-2003, 08:05 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
How did the brakes look?
Awesome, just like the pics you have seen.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:55 AM
Advanced

Sounds like I need to visit Courtesy Acura for a test drive. I certainly wouldn't buy from them though. Myself and a few friends/family have had problems with this dealership in the past.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:03 AM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by AcUrAgUy
Sounds like I need to visit Courtesy Acura for a test drive. I certainly wouldn't buy from them though. Myself and a few friends/family have had problems with this dealership in the past.
I haven't bought a car from them since 1997. They were always good to work with back then. What sort of problems have you had? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it here.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:04 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by zima76
of course TL is the only choice, since TL got 270HP.. simple common sense
:shakehd: :ghey:
Old 10-29-2003, 12:30 PM
Advanced

I haven't bought a car from them since 1997. They were always good to work with back then. What sort of problems have you had? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it here.
I ordered a 98 Trans Am WS6 from them. Put down $2000 deposit. They didn't deliver on time and said they didn't know if they would be able to. I went to another dealer, found the car I wanted and bought it. In the meantime, Courtesy tried to tell me that my deposit was not refundable (they'd had it for 2 months). When I told them they had heard the last from me, and the next contact would be from my lawyer, they refunded my money. The snobbish attitude of all the salesman there bothers me too. They act like they are doing you a favor just to talk to you. I would go there for a test drive or to pick up a brochure but nothing more just on principle because of past experiences. My dad went there and asked them if they were willing to negotiate on a car. I don't remember what car he was interested in. But, he was told that MSRP is it. No negotiating. And they acted as if negotiating was not a common practice in the auto industry. He got pissed. Told them to forget it. They told him to call or come back when ready to pay MSRP and then he layed into them. My dad is a 76 year old former marine and does not take comments like that well. He chewed them out good. He told them how out of line they were and that if they wanted his business they would call him if they wanted his business. He would not be calling them. Anyhow, I just get that sleeze-bag-used-car-salesman-feel from them. You can tell they aren't telling you the truth and don't care about anything other than making the sale. As soon as they find out you're just window shopping, something mysteriously comes up that needs their attention and they split. They seem very shady. Not all dealerships act this way. But, the Ford dealer right across the street sure does. I drove 30 miles to get my Explorer just to avoid them not long ago. There are dealers that want to make you happy and there are those that don't care about the customer. Courtesy doesn't care. Acura at Oxmoor in Louisville has my trust right now. Courtesy will never have my business.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:39 PM
TSX Lover

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have never ran into anything like that there. My only complaint is the silly pinstripes the put on there cars.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:38 AM
TSX Lover

Larch,

Man, I can't believe you haven't commented on this thread.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:00 AM
Racer

Larch,

Man, I can't believe you haven't commented on this thread.
I haven't seen any of his posts for a while now. Perhaps he's secretly trading his TSX for a blue TL? :-) Come on Larch, it's time to come out of the shell.