Bob Lutz on the Quality of GM vehicles vs. the rest

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Teh ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to venture a guess that the Expedition and the Navigator share minimal (<10%) plastics on the interior dash area.

On the other hand, I'm guessing that the 'lade and the yukon line shares about 90% of parts on the dash.

Junkster, who heard GM makes a killing with the lades
Old 02-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I cannot stand Ford/Lincoln/Mercury but I have to give them credit, they do change their appearances where most buyers feel that they arent getting the inferior vehicle.

That being said, Escalade still owns the Navigator
Old 02-28-2005, 06:49 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by SiGGy
someone compare the lincoln to the caddy... lol, landrover to GM. I expect the rover to look better. The ford to Gm comparison should be good though...
there is no reason for us to have to compare american to american
Old 02-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Drifting

If I wanted to get one of the GM large SUV's I'd go for the Yukon Denali, has almost the same equipment list and 10HP less then the Escalade but cheaper.

All the Navi needs is more power, but the new 6.2L Hurricane engine will change that.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:50 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by cob3683
I guess I see some similiarities but IMO it has improved by miles since then

since when?
Old 02-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by Python2121
since when?
The old body style Suburban that was shown. There is a huge difference in how they drive and the quality between the two.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Wow, I knew the interiors were similar but not THAT close. To be honest that is pretty pathetic.

I'll definitely have to agree with Junkster here.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whoa, had no idea that the caddy interior SUCKED that bad. Looks like they threw some plood (plastic wood) here and there, and added chrome-esqe circles around the gauages. The Navi wins hands down as far as the interior of both cars is concerned.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is no reason for us to have to compare american to american
? lol, im confused. We're comparing dash/interiors right? Must be some sarcasm in here I'm missing... hehe

?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:00 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
uh... GM trucks have been using that dash since the 70's, so yeah, pretty pathetic
Old 02-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by Infamous425
uh... GM trucks have been using that dash since the 70's, so yeah, pretty pathetic
hehe... I'll play along...

The last generation Mustang used a platform designed in the mid 70's...

Tell me about stretching the lifetime of a platform.

Junkster, who thinks GM is just not trying hard enough like Ford
Old 03-01-2005, 01:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Junkster
hehe... I'll play along...

The last generation Mustang used a platform designed in the mid 70's...

Tell me about stretching the lifetime of a platform.

Junkster, who thinks GM is just not trying hard enough like Ford
Don't forget about the Crown Vic that rides on the same Panther platform since 1979, and they're still gonna use the same platform for years to come, probably past 2010.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally Posted by DownUnder
Hopefully it'll work this time.

GMC Yukon:

GMC Yukon Denali:

Cadillac Escalade:

Ford Expedition:

Lincoln Navigator:
Good post DownUnder. The dash layout on the Navi is SOOOO different from the Expedition. Props to Ford for not going the Lade route with the Navi. Given that I drive from NJ to Fla once or twice a year, the dash on the Navi is MUCH easier on my eyes. Now, if only Ford put the SVT Lightning's motor in the Navi....
Old 03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

How can you say that with a straight face????

I cannot stand Ford/Lincoln/Mercury but I have to give them credit, they do change their appearances where most buyers feel that they arent getting the inferior vehicle.

That being said, Escalade still owns the Navigator
Old 03-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by MADCAT
How can you say that with a straight face????
Which part? Giving Ford/Lincoln/mercury credit? Well, they do change designs alot from each cars generation.

Or that the Escalade owns the Navigator? I guess after seeing them up close and personal for 3 years in my garage that I have formed a conclusion that the Escalade is better. Our Navigator had alot of problems, thats why my dad got rid of it not long after he bought it. Both Escalades have been problem free, and the interior held up better to usage than the Navigator did. Maybe thats why I think the way I do.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:23 AM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by SiGGy
? lol, im confused. We're comparing dash/interiors right? Must be some sarcasm in here I'm missing... hehe

?
someone was comparing ford to gm and theres no need to isolate americans because they are a tier below imports

buuutttt i guess that doesn't really apply because only americans make suv's in this style (though i didn't think about that when i said it) because large suvs = studpidest thing ever IMO
Old 03-01-2005, 11:26 AM
The hair says it all

Which part? Giving Ford/Lincoln/mercury credit? Well, they do change designs alot from each cars generation.

Or that the Escalade owns the Navigator? I guess after seeing them up close and personal for 3 years in my garage that I have formed a conclusion that the Escalade is better. Our Navigator had alot of problems, thats why my dad got rid of it not long after he bought it. Both Escalades have been problem free, and the interior held up better to usage than the Navigator did. Maybe thats why I think the way I do.
what did you use your suv for that you couldn't have done with, say, a minivan.

and be honest, because im actually curious. if the answer is nothing then im not going to start a flame war, im just interested. and dont be like i went off roading that one time 10 years ago.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Burn some dust here

and be honest, because im actually curious. if the answer is nothing then im not going to start a flame war, im just interested. and dont be like i went off roading that one time 10 years ago.
I have actually taken my Z71 off road 3 times since I bought it 2 months ago.

You buy a car because you like it. Did I like my AMG before the Tahoe? Hell Yes. Was I going to take it to back to grad school were it could be fucked with by ignorant punks? Hell No. So I bought a car where I can put a bunch of stuff in, is comfortable, and still has sufficient power when driving on the highway.

Can you give me a reason why a 24 year old single guy would want a mini-van???? Maybe if I had kids and it was the wifes car, I could see it. But I dont have any of that.

Yourself, as an 18 yr old, would you want a 4runner or honda odyssey??
Old 03-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

I'd say that it's more about form than function. A typical minivan IMHO does more than a mid-size SUV (i.e.: seating 7 with comfort; carlike driveability) for less cost (i.e.: price, fuel & insurance).

Maybe I'm biased because I'm a minivan owner. But in our recent minvan/SUV shopping, we kind of narrowed it down to the MDX and 05 Odyssey (when the time comes to trade up). On our pros vs cons list, the Ody came out so far ahead in utility and versatility (given our needs).

Old 03-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Yourself, as an 18 yr old, would you want a 4runner or honda odyssey??
Even for an 18 y/o (and maybe its a reach), an Odyssey Touring rocks in comparison to the 4runner.

Then again, when I was 18 y/o I couldnt imagine driving anything that had more than 2-doors.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Teh ?

To be perfectly honest, those larger SUVs seem like overkill to me.

Suburbans are only good for high occupancy transportation through rough conditions. They suck out on the trails (when I had my pathy, I ran across four Suburbans that got stuck and needed help), drink hella lot of gas, and don't handle that well in any condition. Good for ski trips with five or six people, I'll give it that.

I had a frat bro who brought his suburban to college. For the first two months, he loved having it around. But after driving around in Denver traffic and trying to park the thing downtown, he decided to only drive the thing for ski trips and hitched a ride with us for everything else. The gas prices were insane.

But, this is my subjective view... if you aren't using a SUV for off roading, dealing with foul weather, or traveling with at least two other people for 50% of the vehicle's use, it's a waste of gas and money.

hehe... yea, I would take a 4 runner over an oddy, but why not spend the same 30k or so and get a nice sedan or a sports coupe?

Junkster, who drove an Integra through college
Old 03-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Teh ?

speaking of overkill...

I was driving behind a Hummer the other day, and I couldn't see squat in front of it, unless I snuck a peak under the chassis to see if there was a car ahead.

That thing, IMO, is useless... can't hit trails, drinks gas because it's underpowered and overweight, and disturbs other drivers.

Junkster, who hates Denver idiots who drive SUVs
Old 03-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Burn some dust here

hehe... yea, I would take a 4 runner over an oddy, but why not spend the same 30k or so and get a nice sedan or a sports coupe?
Oh I agree...but if you're comparing an SUV to a Mini-van ONLY and have to go with either one....its not really a choice IMO.

For me, the SUV is more practical because I take my jetski up to Lake Martin down here alot.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

speaking of overkill...

I was driving behind a Hummer the other day, and I couldn't see squat in front of it, unless I snuck a peak under the chassis to see if there was a car ahead.

That thing, IMO, is useless... can't hit trails, drinks gas because it's underpowered and overweight, and disturbs other drivers.

Junkster, who hates Denver idiots who drive SUVs
I've never seen any more H2s than I have in South Beach (Miami), a place where there's probably the LEAST need for a heavy duty SUV.

Anywhoo, SUVs are more about aesthetic appeal than actual usefulness. And given how quickly I take turns, I'd be a rollover statistic in no-time with an SUV (exc. Murano/FX) -- no biggie with a minivan.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:59 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah the Escalade interior is pretty plain compared to other makes, but which of the two (NAVI & Sclade) will last longer? GM knows how to make a smallblock, that is known already. I see mid 80's Suburban's out driving around, how many mid 80's Bronco's do you see?

The new F150 has taken the next step in terms of refinement, looks, and interior design. BUT IMO if I was gonna buy a work truck I'd get a GM.

BTW who gives a fuck about trucks anyways? Lutz shpuld be more concerned with them not having an affordable sports car on the market for the past 3 years, and the Malibu/G6/LaCrosse/GTO have all not been well receieved by car mags nor the general public.

Honestly, I think the majority of cars suck right now. BMW has gone Bangle, Benz's are overpriced & not as reliable as they once were, Ford has the F150 & Mustang - both of which will sell millions but not break any ground, Buick has nothing, & Honda/Toyota are so damn boring it boggles the mind. I'm glad I'm not having to car shop right now, cuz I'd prob just rock a 98 Civic and wait for something cool to come out. I guess at least Subaru has come into a great position, I'd def buy a car from them.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by F23A4
I've never seen any more H2s than I have in South Beach (Miami), a place where there's probably the LEAST need for a heavy duty SUV.
You're right. Been down there a few times in the last couple of years and all I saw was yellow, black, and silver H2's everywhere. My favorite thing is the 24" rims on them.

"My big ass black Hummer can run over your car, but if I hit a pothole my joy ride is over."
Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Teh ?

Oh I agree...but if you're comparing an SUV to a Mini-van ONLY and have to go with either one....its not really a choice IMO.

For me, the SUV is more practical because I take my jetski up to Lake Martin down here alot.
Long as you don't complain about the gas prices, I'm fine with whatever you drive...

I think it's also a conservationist view in terms of people in Colorado. Most SUV drivers (I'm talking 80%) never fully use their vehicles for what they are intended to do. And they also think that 4WD and being an SUV means you can drive as fast as you want in any weather...

That's why I don't feel bad when some idiot dies in a rollover... hey, you're buying the second largest investment in your life (first being house), you should do some research and think it through, you know?

Last year, we were at Vail in my pathy when we came across this family that was stuck in the side of the road in their Disco. I got out and thought "It's not that bad, I wonder why they're stuck". They slid off the road and was stuck in the ditch. Me and my friends got out and thought the same thing. I asked the dude if he tried putting it in low and rocking it out, and he says "Low? You mean like first gear? This is an automatic." I just shook my head, got into the car, threw it on low, and rocked it out.

I swear, it's scary how bad people don't know their own cars.

Junkster, who used to laugh at SUVs on the side of the road while passing them in his Integra during college
Old 03-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Long as you don't complain about the gas prices, I'm fine with whatever you drive...

I think it's also a conservationist view in terms of people in Colorado. Most SUV drivers (I'm talking 80%) never fully use their vehicles for what they are intended to do. And they also think that 4WD and being an SUV means you can drive as fast as you want in any weather...

That's why I don't feel bad when some idiot dies in a rollover... hey, you're buying the second largest investment in your life (first being house), you should do some research and think it through, you know?

Last year, we were at Vail in my pathy when we came across this family that was stuck in the side of the road in their Disco. I got out and thought "It's not that bad, I wonder why they're stuck". They slid off the road and was stuck in the ditch. Me and my friends got out and thought the same thing. I asked the dude if he tried putting it in low and rocking it out, and he says "Low? You mean like first gear? This is an automatic." I just shook my head, got into the car, threw it on low, and rocked it out.

I swear, it's scary how bad people don't know their own cars.

Junkster, who used to laugh at SUVs on the side of the road while passing them in his Integra during college
I still feel bad when an SUV driver dies in a rollover but I am left to wonder how much they were to blame for their own demise.

Sidenote: As it snowed last night and created a commuter nightmare this morning, the TV news showed several accidents and each one broadcasted showed SUV involvement.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by F23A4
I still feel bad when an SUV driver dies in a rollover but I am left to wonder how much they were to blame for their own demise.

Sidenote: As it snowed last night and created a commuter nightmare this morning, the TV news showed several accidents and each one broadcasted showed SUV involvement.
Hey, if you know what the tendencies are for that vehicle in an accident, you should know how to drive it.

That's why I'm a big fan of the crossovers... these options are much better suited for the regular drivers on the road.

Junkster, who hates Texans that drive burbs in Colorado
Old 03-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jtkz13
Yeah the Escalade interior is pretty plain compared to other makes, but which of the two (NAVI & Sclade) will last longer? GM knows how to make a smallblock, that is known already. I see mid 80's Suburban's out driving around, how many mid 80's Bronco's do you see?

The new F150 has taken the next step in terms of refinement, looks, and interior design. BUT IMO if I was gonna buy a work truck I'd get a GM.
Down here in South FL I see a lot more '80's F150/250 trucks on the streets then I do from GM or Dodge trucks.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:05 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Surprised? Ummmm........Nyet!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ry-sales_x.htm
Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by gavriil
I agree. Also the message you deleted I also agree, why dont you undelete it?

lol @ rat leather!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by MADCAT
agreed...and why would any compare a GM truck to a LEXUS SUV? Thats like comparing your big house to Buckingham Palace.
hahahahahaha
another werd
Old 04-15-2005, 03:15 AM
Race Director

Probably because the LX470 and Escalade and Navigator are direct competitors :dunno
i doubt the current LX470 owners even bothered to check out a GM.

who the fuck goes to GM to check out a car that is cheaper, and has AMAZING deals in terms of finance/lease rates and 0% etc....to a 20k more lexus that probably comes with 8% financing at best,.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Kabachitare!

Originally Posted by amirsafdari
hahahahahaha
another werd
yet another werd
Old 04-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by amirsafdari
i doubt the current LX470 owners even bothered to check out a GM.

who the fuck goes to GM to check out a car that is cheaper, and has AMAZING deals in terms of finance/lease rates and 0% etc....to a 20k more lexus that probably comes with 8% financing at best,.
Actually, If people bothered to check it out, they would find it that Lexus
aint all that LUXURIOUS.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by heyitsme
aint all that LUXURIOUS.

wake up.

Lexus = #1 in subtle luxury and quality.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:37 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
aint all that LUXURIOUS.

compared to GM "luxury" Lexus is very luxurious
Old 04-17-2005, 10:41 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lutz is rigth about reliability in that respect, maybe preformance (ill take a cobalt over a corolla in terms of preformance), but quality of parts is terrible (except on caddy)

has anyone sat on the leather in the grand prix? its so slick you just slide around, and theres no quality

sure crysler is more reliable then mercedes, but i swear some of them have the quality parts comprable to a fisher price toy
the thing is everyone raveing over the CTS-V if i had the money honestly i'd take a C55 AMG over the CTS-V for the simple reason Caddy owned by GM and GM has a LONG WAY to come on improving quality.
not that long ago i read an article about the an article about diamlar chrysler big shot(he's german so i'm not gonna attempt to spell his name). he said by 2007 their quality will compare to Toyota and Honda's. I'm thinking you better get new suppliers and better engineers in a hurry. personally i think it's a BS statement.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Originally Posted by Water-S
the thing is everyone raveing over the CTS-V if i had the money honestly i'd take a C55 AMG over the CTS-V for the simple reason Caddy owned by GM and GM has a LONG WAY to come on improving quality.
not that long ago i read an article about the an article about diamlar chrysler big shot(he's german so i'm not gonna attempt to spell his name). he said by 2007 their quality will compare to Toyota and Honda's. I'm thinking you better get new suppliers and better engineers in a hurry. personally i think it's a BS statement.
Caddy is almost always ahead of MB in term of quality/reliability. Actually the C class is the exception to the dismal recent reliability surveys at MB. Caddy, unlike the rest of GM, is usually right up there with the Japanese in quality/reliability.