BMW: 3-Series News

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 5,294 Likes on 3,628 Posts

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/07/...30-body-shell/

Remember Porsche's Project Gold? Last year, Porsche built the last factory-new 993 generation 911 Turbo they're likely to make, using a new-old-stock body shell that had been hanging around their factory premises. Now, it's your chance to do a similar revival of a classic BMW M3, as a rare unused NOS body shell has surfaced in Dallas.

The seller says the $30,000 body shell is possibly the last unused and unregistered factory E30 M3 shell left in existence. Even if another one was still holed up somewhere in a BMW storage facility, or in a weird shrine dedicated to BMW's Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters achievements, there's a very good chance this is the only one of its kind in North America — if you have one in your garage, we'd be delighted to amend our article. In any case, the primer-grey shell still wears all its factory tags, with its part number 41 00 1 979 078 visible in several places.

There are no front wings, doors, hood, trunklid or anything else than the base, sound deadened-body shell, but it's still clearly an M3 item, as the rear quarters have characteristic widebody wheel arches and the C-pillar is M3-specific — one of the things that make the E30 M3 a coupe compared to the regular two-door E30, according to some. The body has also never been assigned a VIN tag, and it's likely never to have held a 200-hp S14 four-cylinder engine between its front frame rails. According to the seller, the M3 body was stored in a bubble for ages, and it's been with him for 15 years. The level of care is notable, as the seller says the body shell has been swapped over from its original factory dolly to a new one to meet U.S. import requirements.

So, to an E30 M3 buff, this is as close to a perfect blank canvas as possible. Bring your own doors and your own crate engine, and make this the best example you can think of. Bringing a regular, used donor body to this condition would go a long way towards $30,000.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:43 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Spending $30k as essentially a down payment to make a slow kit car doesn't seem particularly appealing...
Old 01-10-2019, 06:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Both G20 330i and Z4 build are up at BMWUSA. You can play around with it you are interested.

M340i is not gonna be available probably for another few months.

I built a 330i with the way i probably would get at $52k.

https://www.bmwusa.com/
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
So I just built one too. My biggest complaint with the F30 was that cooled seats weren't an option. However, how does this one not have it either? That's my favorite new luxury feature on cars.

However, it's a really beautiful car, I am sure BMW will sell a bunch of these.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Both G20 330i and Z4 build are up at BMWUSA. You can play around with it you are interested.

M340i is not gonna be available probably for another few months.

I built a 330i with the way i probably would get at $52k.

https://www.bmwusa.com/
You are more conservative than I am, I landed at ~$57k mostly because I want all the safety/self driving stuff. What I don't understand is why all this is a rather expensive options package rather than standard like it is on the Accord, RAV4, Corolla, all Subarus, etc...
Old 01-11-2019, 10:33 AM

^ #BecauseLuxury
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
When I went to the BMW HQ, I saw all manner of pristine BMWs past and present. But a pristine red E30 M3 was the one that made my weewee feel the funniest.

Yeah you'd need to spend a lot to make it road ready, but I'm sure somebody has scooped it up by now - if not, very soon.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
You are more conservative than I am, I landed at ~$57k mostly because I want all the safety/self driving stuff. What I don't understand is why all this is a rather expensive options package rather than standard like it is on the Accord, RAV4, Corolla, all Subarus, etc...
i am on the opposite. I dislike all of those lane assist kinda crap. My current car has all the options, except for the $500 nanny package that i purposely removed from my build sheet.

Remember F30 320 still had Halogen lights as standard.

In the Luxury segment, Free is cheap... and people are willing to pay for "free stuff", so why not? Acura has proven that Value buys dont work.
Also features are not created equal. I would rather pay for better quality features, than the free stuff.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Ex-OEM King

i am on the opposite. I dislike all of those lane assist kinda crap. My current car has all the options, except for the $500 nanny package that i purposely removed from my build sheet.

Remember F30 320 still had Halogen lights as standard.

In the Luxury segment, Free is cheap... and people are willing to pay for "free stuff", so why not? Acura has proven that Value buys dont work.
Also features are not created equal. I would rather pay for better quality features, than the free stuff.
Nah, if Acura actually made a good car that people wanted at a lower price point, I'm sure they'd sell quite a lot more of them. This is the entire story of how Lexus came to be.

I have all the stuff on my Golf and the wife has it on her Subaru, I absolutely love it for long drives. Makes it much less stressful. Also, at this point all features are basically equal. All of the safety tech is mature enough that they are all basically the same but if you want to talk about features not being equal lets talk about power window regulators, exploding cooling systems, and rampant rod bearing failures...
Old 01-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Team Owner

Nah, if Acura actually made a good car that people wanted at a lower price point, I'm sure they'd sell quite a lot more of them. This is the entire story of how Lexus came to be.

I have all the stuff on my Golf and the wife has it on her Subaru, I absolutely love it for long drives. Makes it much less stressful. Also, at this point all features are basically equal. All of the safety tech is mature enough that they are all basically the same but if you want to talk about features not being equal lets talk about power window regulators, exploding cooling systems, and rampant rod bearing failures...

Are you talking about the safety features or features in General?

and what car has those problems?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Ex-OEM King

The safety features in this particular instance but there are lots of things that are free on cheaper cars that cost more on a BMW or MB for no real reason other than more = better. Headlights are a great example, you can get damn good LED headlights for free on a Subaru that cost $2000 on an Audi for an inferior product. Why? Who knows.

BMW's have had problems with window regulators, cooling systems, and rod bearings for years. I'm sure it has been fixed by now, mostly because many automakers just share the exact same part with a different sticker (and price) on them, but those things used to be a huge deal.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:28 PM

I'm unsure of what's going on here, but off the top of my head, don't at least a couple of M models have rod bearing problems? As in, it's considered a routine maintenance thing at this point? Unless you want your viewing window in your engine block.

BMW and VW both use plastic where thermally, it might make sense. But not for longevity. Plastic water pump impellers, thermostat housings, coolant hose couplings, dipstick tubes, etc.

I tell a lot of people looking to buy a new/newer car to try and get the safety and convenience features when possible. Speaking pragmatically - outside of less accumulated wear and tear, why else you want a newer car?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:33 PM

If you want to talk about Subarus, yes they're generally reliable. But again, practically speaking, Subaru boxers are flawed too - the pain of changing spark plugs, and head gasket issues spanning decades. The layout does not make it easier to deal with either. I hope my car never gets to that point, or I'm selling it before that.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (01-18-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Team Owner

The safety features in this particular instance but there are lots of things that are free on cheaper cars that cost more on a BMW or MB for no real reason other than more = better. Headlights are a great example, you can get damn good LED headlights for free on a Subaru that cost $2000 on an Audi for an inferior product. Why? Who knows.

BMW's have had problems with window regulators, cooling systems, and rod bearings for years. I'm sure it has been fixed by now, mostly because many automakers just share the exact same part with a different sticker (and price) on them, but those things used to be a huge deal.
Every brand and every make all have their problems. so i am not sure what you are trying to say.

I cannot comment on safety features, since i dont use them.
But as far as features in general, i disagree. There is a significant difference in quality and features between the $$ ones and the free ones. At least with my experience.
Or there is another way to look at it, BMW/Audi can simply increase MSRP and give you more standard features. Which way do you prefer? I personally like to choose what i want in a car, instead of paying for shit that i dont need.
Now if you say they are too expensive compare to XXXX... yes i agree. But as long as the Market is willing to pay, being too expensive or not is all relative.

A 60" Element LED TV is 400 and a Samsung might cost $2000. Both are called TV with the same size and does the same thing....
Some people are perfectly happy with the $400 TV and question why would anyone pay $2,000 for a TV.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 01-11-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:19 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/301618/2...-pure-details/

With BMW introducing the warm 2020 M340i in both rear- and all-wheel-drive M Performance flavors, we are now slowly but surely turning our attention towards the cream of the crop – the M3. A new report published by U.K.’s Car Magazine tries to shed some light about the sports sedan scheduled to arrive as early as next year.

To please both worlds, BMW will allegedly offer the M3 in RWD and xDrive versions, with the former tentatively called “Pure.” The tail-happy variant is labeled as being the entry-level version of the M3 family and will come exclusively in RWD form with a six-speed manual gearbox and an electronically controlled differential lock. As far as power is concerned, the twin-turbo 3.0-liter straight-six engine is expected to get an M4 GTS-derived water injection system and push out 454 horsepower, which would be exactly the same as what you get in the limited-run M3 CS.

For those with more money to spend, there will reportedly be a high-end M3 with an xDrive system featuring a RWD mode in the same vein as the latest M5. It will eschew the manual gearbox for an eight-speed automatic transmission responsible with the task of sending 474 hp to both axles, so an additional 20 ponies than the so-called Pure version.

Interestingly, the report goes on to mention BMW will further separate the two versions by adopting different styling. The Pure variant will boast unique front and rear aprons, a bespoke alloy wheel design, and its own paint job. Inside, a special type of fabric + Alcantara upholstery will be reserved for this variant, along with the graphics of the instrument cluster dials and a different look for the cabin trim.

The M4 in coupe and soft-top cabrio iterations will also spawn these two versions, plus a hotter Competition coupe derivative due in 2021 with as much as 503 hp. Eventually, BMW is expected to come out with M3 CS and even an M3 CSL featuring more of everything, including extra power as the former will be taken to 530 hp and the latter to an impressive 550 hp.

There is some bad news to share as the latest intel via an undisclosed “source from the BMW M department” says there won’t be an M3 Touring after all. The silver lining is that an M4 Gran Coupe is in the works as a more practical take on the M3 also scheduled to come out in 2020.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

M4 Gran Coupe That is what i am talking about!!!

Except with the way they price their cars lately, it might be around $90k...
Old 01-18-2019, 12:46 PM

x-Drive M4 CSL GranCoupe = 'More than you can afford, pal"
Old 01-23-2019, 01:29 PM
Team Owner

More confirmation! wonder if there will be a M4 GC Pure

to BMW for offering 6mt!!!

The M5 has the beef and the M8 has the drama, but it’s the smaller BMW M3 that has always got to the heart of the M experience most strongly. For immersive handling at a relatively accessible price, Three is the magic number.

This year the M3 and its brasher two-door M4 sibling will regenerate at September’s Frankfurt motor show. They’ll both go up in price a tad, but so does power (to 474bhp) and torque (to at least 480lb ft). That’s 30bhp more than the Audi RS4/5 can muster, and eclipses the Mercedes-AMG C63 saloon (though it’s shy of the uprated 503bhp C63 S).

The picture looks even rosier when you throw in a 65kg weight loss versus its predecessor, improved aerodynamics (including more targeted distribution of downforce), stiffer bodywork and reworked suspension.

New 2020 BMW M3: two- or four-wheel drive

The extra power was a given. What was less clear was how many wheels the new M3 would put it through. The answer: either two or four. Base versions of the new M3 will be purely rear-wheel drive, while pricier M xDrive all-wheel-drive variants will include the same 2wd toggle mode as the M5.

More enticingly, BMW is planning entry-level M3 and M4 variants, sold as reduced-to-the-max drivers’ cars. The internal nickname is M3 and M4 Pure, which sums up their role as no-frills, back-to-the-roots extensions of the range. They’ll have a little less power than the plusher models, 454bhp rather than 474bhp, but they’ll be the only M3/M4 variants without the otherwise standard eight-speed automatic transmission, and M xDrive system will be off limits too.

Instead the Pure versions (production name still tbc) will use a six-speed manual transmission, and their rear-wheel-drive layout will be complemented by a quicker-acting electronically controlled diff lock.

To underline their position as totally immersive hardcore slide-masters, the Pure editions are set to get restyled aprons front and rear, their own wheel design, an optional standalone signature paintjob (unconfirmed for the UK), special fabric and alcantara upholstery, colour-coded cabin trim and bespoke instrument graphics. Slightly cheaper and focused, the Pure versions could have what it takes to become the M division’s real McCoys.

BMW M3 and M4 Pure: a pure-bred driver's focus

The Pure is the only M3/M4 offered with a manual gearbox because BMW has no stickshift that can handle more than 480lb ft – which higher-grade versions will exceed. Said torque comes from a twin-turbo 3.0-litre straight-six dubbed S58, the most sophisticated in-line six-cylinder unit ever conceived by the M division. It’s fitted with water-injection to cool the high combustion temperatures, and with a new petrol particulate filter to placate emissions watchdogs.

As for the M3’s two-door M4 sibling, the M4 cabriolet switches from metal to soft top when it launches late next year. Over time, M division intends to launch three additional go-faster M4s. The M4 Competition (expected 2021) benefits from more aggressive boost pressure, higher compression ratio, a more voluminous intake manifold and a less restrictive exhaust to pump out 503bhp, thus matching the C63 S AMG.

Further down the line, the M4 coupe is tipped for CS and CSL packs. While the CS will allegedly come in a relatively understated wrapper, the limited-edition (and pricey) CSL will get the full-monty bodykit, including an almighty rear wing and front air dam, notably higher composite content including carbon-ceramic brakes, racing seats (the rear bench is a delete option, while a rollcage is an optional extra), and a bespoke instrument display.

The Michelin Cup tyres go up one size, the suspension and the aero pack can be adjusted for track use, and the entire drivetrain will be tuned for the fastest possible response. The power figures are still provisional but we’re talking around 530bhp for the CS and an even meaner 550bhp for the CSL.

Meanwhile, bad news for those hankering for an M3 estate: there are currently no plans for an M3 Touring. According to a source from the BMW M department, in 2020 the M range will include a four-door M4 Gran Coupe, which easily eclipsed a proposal for an M3 Touring in an internal shootout.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 01-23-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Render

kurtatx (01-26-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:59 PM

Looks fantastic, IMO.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

I think so too... wayyyyy better than the M340i with those weird cut oust in the front bumper.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:25 PM

Looks fantastic! I still prefer an M2 though. Because of size, weight, and price

Today I saw an Elise with a huge diffuser and numbers on the doors. Then an Exige. I also saw an Evora a few times, wonder if its owned by one of the Elise/Exige owners.

What am I doing wrong... I see quite a few M2s and M3s during my commute.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

Old 01-28-2019, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

I cant imagine how fast a tuned Z4 M40i will be if M340i is comparable to M2 Competition.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:32 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
The available packages and options for the M340i have been posted along with allocations for the M340i if you wanted to put down a deposit for one.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1581175

So using the pricing guide for the 330i, I built a spreadsheet and added up everything. MSRP pricing on the M340i xDrive has already been revealed ($56,995), we don't have pricing for the ZTK package, the 19" 791 wheels (although guess it would be $600), and I didn't see the Wifi pricing on the pricing guide - but the car will be about $70,070 with almost every other option (Metallic Paint, Vernasca Leather, ZDA, ZDY, ZPK, ZPP, Rear Heated Seats, ZPX, ZTK, Remote Start, Adaptive M Suspension, Space Saver Spare, Power Tailgate, HK radio, Wireless charging).

Yikes - if you assume an 8% discount off of MSRP, you're talking $64,464.40 - but I suspect discounts won't be available right away.

Well optioned (Metallic Paint, Leather, ZDA, ZPK, ZPP, Adaptive M, HK Radio) it would MSRP for ~$65,020, 8% off would be $59,818

Not sure if it is worth the price?

I doubt BMW would have different prices for the packages on the m340i, but its possible if what is included is different for each package.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

One thing you have to take into consideration is M340i will have way more standard equipment than 330i. While it gives you an idea how much M340i might be, i think there is at least $3k discrepancy in there somewhere.

For example, there are 3 different headlights and 330i starts with base and M340i i assume would start with the adaptive LED (mid tier) with laser as option.
and leather, Nav with visual cockpit is standard on M340i...

I am surprised that power tailgate is a option.... seriously BMW?? my 435 from 2015 had it standard!

I personally think it will be around 67k loaded if you dont choose those weird options like Individual and M performance parts. and if you go a little conservative and remove all the "good to have but not really needed" options like: rear heated seat, remote start, upgraded leather and etc...You will probably end up with a $63k M340i, which is not too much more than the F30 340i.

The thing that worries me is BMW is changing their leasing program (think Audi). Residual is not as aggressive as before and money factor is going up. Those have bigger impact than the actual MSRP.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 02-08-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 PM

BMW realized how profitable it is to offer items a la carte with a very lacking standard equipment list. Well, they realized that a long time ago. It's not surprising really, seeing as how in other countries they can be outfitted basically for taxi usage.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:03 PM
Team Owner

Actually most of the BMW owners prefer the la carte options. It lets the buyers to build a car exactly the way they wanted based on your own personal needs. Whether they want a stripper 6mt for track purposes or a fully loaded overpriced 3 series, at least the choice is with the buyer.

It is way better than a lump sum approach (package) that forces you to get 5 other items when all you wanted was the LED headlight.
But sometimes it makes you laugh with the choices they gave you. For example, Nav with idrive ($2000 value) was standard in the F10 5 series, yet you had to pay $250 for backup camera.

Unfortunately, BMW is moving away from la carte in recent years. Now it is half "tier" and half la carte

Last edited by oonowindoo; 02-08-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:19 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually most of the BMW owners prefer the la carte options. It lets the buyers to build a car exactly the way they wanted based on your own personal needs. Whether they want a stripper 6mt for track purposes or a fully loaded overpriced 3 series, at least the choice is with the buyer.

It is way better than a lump sum approach (package) that forces you to get 5 other items when all you wanted was the LED headlight.
But sometimes it makes you laugh with the choices they gave you. For example, Nav with idrive ($2000 value) was standard in the F10 5 series, yet you had to pay $250 for backup camera.

Unfortunately, BMW is moving away from la carte in recent years. Now it is half "tier" and half la carte
I hate when I want to add a $500 option I first have to add a $5000 option package, so that $500 option ends up costing $5500 if you don't care about the other options that comes with the package. If you want to add the $995 carbon fiber package on a new Ford Raptor, you first have to add a $9000 option package which includes stupid stuff like pre collision stopping.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 PM
Liquid Ice

BMW M340i / M340i xDrive pricing guide has been released - https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1583655

Price is actually lower than I expected. With the options I want (close to fully loaded) - it will be about $66,820 MSRP. That is pretty close to the MSRP for the 2017 340xi I have now (MSRP is $66,545). Of course right now BMW isn't really supporting leases with a better Money Factor or Residual, so it will still cost something like $779/month (no tax, which is paid upfront in VA) assuming the current (Feb 2019) 330i MF and Residual, a 5% discount off MSRP and $2000 loyalty discount. That is more than $150/month than what I am paying now!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
BMW M340i / M340i xDrive pricing guide has been released - https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1583655

Price is actually lower than I expected. With the options I want (close to fully loaded) - it will be about $66,820 MSRP. That is pretty close to the MSRP for the 2017 340xi I have now (MSRP is $66,545). Of course right now BMW isn't really supporting leases with a better Money Factor or Residual, so it will still cost something like $779/month (no tax, which is paid upfront in VA) assuming the current (Feb 2019) 330i MF and Residual, a 5% discount off MSRP and $2000 loyalty discount. That is more than $150/month than what I am paying now!
Looks like they nuked the post with the pricing guide and I can't edit my post anymore! Luckily, I snagged the PDF - so I'm attaching it to this post.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Team Owner

Damn i am good. But yah... MF and RV are what matter the most right now, not MSRP. Based on what i am reading, BMW is going after Audi and Mercedes's approach... that means the same car will be about $150 a month more....

Originally Posted by LiQiCE

One thing you have to take into consideration is M340i will have way more standard equipment than 330i. While it gives you an idea how much M340i might be, i think there is at least $3k discrepancy in there somewhere.

For example, there are 3 different headlights and 330i starts with base and M340i i assume would start with the adaptive LED (mid tier) with laser as option.
and leather, Nav with visual cockpit is standard on M340i...

I am surprised that power tailgate is a option.... seriously BMW?? my 435 from 2015 had it standard!

I personally think it will be around 67k loaded if you dont choose those weird options like Individual and M performance parts. and if you go a little conservative and remove all the "good to have but not really needed" options like: rear heated seat, remote start, upgraded leather and etc...You will probably end up with a $63k M340i, which is not too much more than the F30 340i.

The thing that worries me is BMW is changing their leasing program (think Audi). Residual is not as aggressive as before and money factor is going up. Those have bigger impact than the actual MSRP.
RPhilMan1 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

I just built 1 - $61k.

My current 340i has 90%+ of that option list.... i think most of them are useless to me...
Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM
Liquid Ice

Damn i am good. But yah... MF and RV are what matter the most right now, not MSRP. Based on what i am reading, BMW is going after Audi and Mercedes's approach... that means the same car will be about $150 a month more....
Nice prediction! That price is with basically all of the packages except for the ZTK high performance tires and cooling package (I probably won't be tracking my M340i - so not necessary), remote start, the optional rims, ambient lighting and wireless charging / wifi. Still undecided on some of the packages like ZPX which seems somewhat useless (but laser lights sound cool!) .. actually, you can't have both ZPX and ZPK together, so that drops the price by at least $900 off MSRP making it $65,920 if I opt for the ZPX package over ZPK.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

If i recall correctly, laser light only works with High beam. So unless you use a lot of highbeam, otherwise it is useless.

I actually added the HP tires and cooling package because i dont have to deal with Runflats.... which means i dont have to return the car with runflats.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

FYI. You can build M340I on US website now...

Cheaper than i thought
Old 03-29-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
FYI. You can build M340I on US website now...

Cheaper than i thought
$62,775 for my build.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:16 PM

$63,625 here.

For comparison: A done up W205 C43 AMG is Just shy of $70k.

Last edited by 00TL-P3.2; 03-29-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:18 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
$63,125

$10k more and I'm in a new M3 I built, and I get a manual transmission.

No brainer.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
$63,125

$10k more and I'm in a new M3 I built, and I get a manual transmission.

No brainer.
$10k is A LOT of money.

Quick Reply: BMW: 3-Series News