BMW: 3-Series News

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess some BMW lover-boys cannot stand the fact that the "Ultimate Driving Machine" has some real tough competition these days. And it looks like things will only get...worse. Porsche is next btw.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:22 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
I guess some BMW lover-boys cannot stand the fact that the "Ultimate Driving Machine" has some real tough competition these days. And it looks like things will only get...worse. Porsche is next btw.
I agree, and with bimmers super subjective new stylings....this has only become MORE apparent to most consumers.

I've been eye-balling and liking cars that, 3,4,5 years ago, I would have never even thought twice about.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
Ofcourse Infiniti's trying so hard to be rivals. That's been they're stated mission since the G came out. And they've succeeded, period. They're doing their best to out-BMW BMW, and it's working for them.
I absolutely agree, and rivalry is good, cause it makes cars better. Perfect case is the new 330i; it was already the class fav, and all the new kids on the block only made them make it better. But, I stand behind them having a long way to go before they're out-bmw BMW.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by titan
Shit, you don't get anymore orginal than the FX. None of their cars look as if they're trying to hard (though the Z4 comes to mind).
Everytime I look at the FX, something I try to avoid doing since it defines 'eyesore', I see PT Cruiser-not a good thing.

Are you sure you've driven an Infiniti lately? Don't be mad because they want to be the HP leader in ever segment they compete in.
Oh Im not mad. They can try to be the leader, but that doesnt mean shit when the numbers dont reflect it. Their cars should run away from 240 hp 4 bangers from honda, and 225 hp i-6's from BMW. But, oops, they dont.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Porsche is next btw.
Who do you think will start gunning at Porsche?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Instructor

I just test-drove and wrote about the G35C 6MT two days ago. So I have a fresh opinion on that experience (although it was the second experience with that particular infiniti).

If you think that the 300HP engine outruns the chassis, you either live on a different planet, have driven the wrong car, or you have absolutely no ability of judging a given vehicle's driving character.
And once again, through all your rhetoric, we reach a point where you're telling somebody what they should feel about a car.
Yes, I have driven the g coupe, we have one in the family in fact, so I would say Im more of an authority than some little priss I call gabriella taking a quick test drive.
For a car with stats that look so mouth-watering on paper, the car leaves me colder than a dead body. It's NOT fun-to-drive (to me). It doesn't look good at all (to me). It handles like a sporty car costing 18k, not an 'all out' 'premium' sports coupe (to me).

Is that clear enough for you?

Finally, are you annoyed by the HP output of Infinitis? Why? Because BMW cannot match it? Because all I see is BMW trying to keep up with the so called HP wars, to no avail. Wait. I know your response to this one. I can hear it already. "Ultimate driving machines are not about peak HP but..." Or something like that right?
Like I said above, why would I be 'annoyed' by the (supposed) HP output of nissans? I have nothing vested, since I dont want one, but I do find it hilarious that the numbers dont back up the HP claims.

And since you want to take a stab at BMW, I KNOW you're not saying they cant enter the HP wars. I know youre not that dumb. This IS the company that pulls 333 hp from 3.2L (while nissan cant match that with 3.5). This is also the same company that made 225 hp scoot to 60 in less than 6 seconds, while nissan's 260, 277, 288, 284, 268, 298 hp whatever they decide to lie and say it is that day, can only match it and not run away from.

Soooooo, again I ask, (rhetorically of course, since youre really starting to bore me) what's there to be mad about.

Last edited by machination; 05-28-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Instructor

TL = 3491 lbs

06 330 = 3417 lbs.

I'd say "your" BMW is about as fat as the TL.
And yet, it'll run rings around the TL.

But then there's only so much a company can do with a car with mainstream-sedan roots, FWD, and 60% over a rather heavy engine huh?
Old 05-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Yet, it's a boat.
That it is. Did you really need to waste so much space proving that when we can tell by looking at it?
Old 05-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Instructor

I am not even trying.
Yeah you are gabby, and looking pretty desperate to please your booty buds here. Relax a little, cupcake. We're just spewing opinions and views, not trying to win some internet-reality show.

You really need to get over yourself. The name of this game is competition and there's room for everyone to play. My whole point has been that BMW is more than capable of handling all these newbies gunning for them. It'll be a minute before anyone out-bmw's bmw, and by then, they'll have elevated their game yet again (case in point, the E90).
Old 05-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by machination
This IS the company that pulls 333 hp from 3.2L
This is also the same company that have had those 333HP engineering marvels blow up numerous of times.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DownUnder
This is also the same company that have had those 333HP engineering marvels blow up numerous of times.

Shh, that never happened.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Safety Car

That it is. Did you really need to waste so much space proving that when we can tell by looking at it?

If boats were determine by size, the 5 and 7 would be boats as well. Unfortunately boats are not determined by size, but by handling, and the g35 has shown to out accelerate an underated bmw engine mind you( what you claim to be greatness-underrating is not greatness) and out handle a bmw derived suspension.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

And once again, through all your rhetoric, we reach a point where you're telling somebody what they should feel about a car.
I am not telling you what you should feel about the G. I am categorically telling you that the engine is not outrunning the chassis. That's a fact!

Yes, I have driven the g coupe, we have one in the family in fact, so I would say Im more of an authority than some little priss I call gabriella taking a quick test drive.
Calling me names, making my name sound like that of the opposite sex, does not help your case. It just making you sound angrier than you're already are.

Now to the point. If you have the car in the family and you still cant figure it out, we go back to my general statment. You cant judge cars to save your life.

For a car with stats that look so mouth-watering on paper, the car leaves me colder than a dead body. It's NOT fun-to-drive (to me).
Ditto. If the G35 is not fun to drive to you, you cant judge cars for shit. You make your case for me and all that are reading this.

It doesn't look good at all (to me).
Who asked you. I already told you that looks and taste are subjective. Obviously you have memory issue as well, plus you cant tell between subjective and objective matters. As I have mentioned at least twice before to other statements of yours.

It handles like a sporty car costing 18k, not an 'all out' 'premium' sports coupe (to me).
To someone who cant judge cars for shit, it would also feel like the USS Enterprise. Both of them

Is that clear enough for you?
It's absolutely 100% clear enough to ALL of us that you dont know anything about handling and driving character of automobiles and probably anything with wheels on.

Like I said above, why would I be 'annoyed' by the (supposed) HP output of nissans?
Why do you called it "supposed"? Are you doubting the HP claim?

I have nothing vested, since I dont want one, but I do find it hilarious that the numbers dont back up the HP claims.
What numbers do you speak of?

And since you want to take a stab at BMW,
Wow! You also have comprehension problems. Where do you see me trying to take a stab at BMW? See once again, you seem to have something very personal for BMWs and against everyone who are trying to compete with them.

I KNOW you're not saying they cant enter the HP wars. I know youre not that dumb.
You do?

This IS the company that pulls 333 hp from 3.2L (while nissan cant match that with 3.5).
So? What does that say to you or what should it say to the rest of us? How is this relevant to anything? Are you saying that Honda should walk with a crown on their heads for a decade now because their S2000 pulls 120HP per liter? What kind of logic (rather lack thereof) is that? Wait. You have already proved you lack judgement so why am I surprised?

This is also the same company that made 225 hp scoot to 60 in less than 6 seconds,
And?

Not that it's relevant here but if I take the gear ratios of my bike and put them on my CLS, I'd probably pull 4.9 in 60 seconds. But again. And? What's your point and how is it relevant to the beginning of this "conversation". If you even remember it.

while nissan's 260, 277, 288, 284, 268, 298 hp whatever they decide to lie and say it is that day, can only match it and not run away from.
Let me guess. You're a "conspiracy theory" guy. Right?

Infiniti is lying on HP claims through their teeth.

Soooooo, again I ask, (rhetorically of course, since youre really starting to bore me) what's there to be mad about.
Since I bore you, why do you reply back ? Every time?
Old 05-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

And yet, it'll run rings around the TL.
Oh wait. I get it. In other words he is saying that Acura is ALSO lying about HP claims "through their teeth" like INfiniti is.

Of course. BMW is the ONLY TRUE AND HONEST AUTOMOTIVE MAKER. Apart from being the "best" one.

You remind like 12 year old kids that come out and say things like: The xyz exotic is the BEST CAR IN THE WORLD...man!

Conspiracy theory BMW lover boys
Old 05-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

But then there's only so much a company can do with a car with mainstream-sedan roots, FWD, and 60% over a rather heavy engine huh?

See because when BMW was designing the 330i they had a bus in mind. Not a sedan!

BMW--lover-boy-logic galore.

Dude I got news for you. Just because BMW does not have a "non premium" arm, (although with the 1 series and the BWM's future that can be debated), that does not mean they dont wipe their ass after going to the bathroom. They still use steal, wheels and plastic like everyone else.

Making them sound like the godess-automotive-company makes you sound like a 10 year old. Now...you're older than that, arent you?

There are about a billion measure to measure a car other than "how fast it's running circles". Like I said before, you have a lot to learn about this huge and super mature industry.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

To BMW-conspiracy-theory-lover-boys, the TL is a boat. Now you are not one of them, are you?
Old 05-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Gav, why bother feeding the troll. He just wanted teh attention.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah you are gabby, and looking pretty desperate to please your booty buds here.
There we go with the names again. Relevant to my name. By the way, you're not enough of a stand up guy to reveal your name. Not that I am gonna go as low as you have and mock it...just curious.

No one here is my buddy, bud Just because most here (if not all) find your opinions/statements...how should I say...lacking logic and substance, it does not mean they are all my buddies. It's just you giving everyone a reason to reply to you in a united way that looks like we're all buddies.

Relax a little, cupcake. We're just spewing opinions and views, not trying to win some internet-reality show.
Since you're telling me what to do and what not to, who needs to relax is you I would say. Actually many here would say the same I am guessing.

As always, I could be totally wrong
Old 05-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

That fact does not even need to be used as an answer to machinations logic and statements. They are so lacking substance, it's easy to win any argument with people that think the way he/she does.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Gav, why bother feeding the troll. He just wanted teh attention.
It wont go much further. I just wanted him to prove to all that he:

1. Go as low as start calling names and mock people's names
2. Make BMW sound like the god just like Ferraristi do

I just wanted to prove one more time (to myself mostly) that there is a specific group and type of people, who perceive the auto industry with such a skewed prism (while believing they are true enthusiasts), that make it easy to understand why brands like Porsche, Ferrari, even certain BMWs cars have such dedicated followings.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:58 PM
The Third Ball

Gav...As much as I really love seeing you spank the hell out of this troll...

Just get him banned and get your review for the S4 posted already
Old 05-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
Gav...As much as I really love seeing you spank the hell out of this troll...

Just get him banned and get your review for the S4 posted already
Even someone who is mocking my name or calling me names does not deserve to be banned. I told him already that the market (and this forum) need people like him as far as I am concerned.

I tried to start righting the S4 review yesterday and got distracted with some practice drill preparation. Three hours later and I was dead tired
Old 05-29-2005, 09:10 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Getting back on topic - I saw an E90 330 on the highway yesterday - all of sudden it's not such a big deal anymore. Just another car in commuter heaven (yes, even in rush hour you can do 120kph on the highway)
Old 05-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Instructor

And that number is way less than the number of hondas that blew their trannies.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Instructor

As always, I could be totally wrong
As always, you ARE wrong.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Instructor

I am not telling you what you should feel about the G. I am categorically telling you that the engine is not outrunning the chassis. That's a fact!
If you think that, your judgment isnt as sound as you like to think it is.

Now to the point. If you have the car in the family and you still cant figure it out, we go back to my general statment. You cant judge cars to save your life.
I can, and I do, and I will continue to say it's an overrated little thing, pieced together with no know-how. Nuff said.

If the G35 is not fun to drive to you, you cant judge cars for shit. You make your case for me and all that are reading this.
It isn't, and it wont be til they work a few things out. I dont know why this hard for you to grasp.

It's absolutely 100% clear enough to ALL of us that you dont know anything about handling and driving character of automobiles and probably anything with wheels on.
You shouldnt talk; what could a little faggot driving a fat ass pig like a CL-S possibly know about handling.

Since I bore you, why do you reply back ? Every time?
Probably the same reason you do.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

And that number is way less than the number of hondas that blew their trannies.
Well it would have to be considering way less M3's were sold in comparison, unfortunately other companies having recalls doesn't make the m3 engines blowing up any less significant of a problem.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Racer

gavriil knows more about autos in his right ankle than you and any off-spring you produce (to the Earths regret) could EVER attain.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by biker
Getting back on topic - I saw an E90 330 on the highway yesterday - all of sudden it's not such a big deal anymore. Just another car in commuter heaven (yes, even in rush hour you can do 120kph on the highway)
I saw my first one the day I test drove the G35C. A few days ago. There was a BMW dealer next to the Infiniti dealer so I stopped and checked it out inside and out very carefully. It looks OK from the outside but as you have implied above, it will be a design that will look like nothing special very quickly. Not that there is something wrong with that.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If you think that, your judgment isnt as sound as you like to think it is.

I can, and I do, and I will continue to say it's an overrated little thing, pieced together with no know-how. Nuff said.

It isn't, and it wont be til they work a few things out. I dont know why this hard for you to grasp.

You shouldnt talk; what could a little faggot driving a fat ass pig like a CL-S possibly know about handling.

Probably the same reason you do.

You have gone as low as to call me insulting names before, you still continue to do so. I could act like a touchy mod. and lobby so you're banned from here for ever, but I wont even come close to that because as I said you're a necessary spice to the automobile market as well as this forum. We need people like you for reference so we know what's right and what's wrong (objective) and what is not right nor wrong (subjective).

Excluding the name calling above, about the rest, I dont have anything more to say to you about this matter.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:05 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Buy a mirror.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Nb:

Machination: Go to your room.

Come back when you can debate without resorting to personal attacks and name calling.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:28 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Machination: Go to your room.

Come back when you can debate without resorting to personal attacks and name calling.
So, does mean he is gone? Even though Gav thinks he should stay?
Old 05-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Not any more
Old 05-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Things change

Debate is fine. Different opinions are what make the world interesting.

Personal attacks and name calling are not fine .

Moderators have a difficult, unpaid job. They aren't expected to be the targets of abuse.

-XP
Old 05-31-2005, 09:17 AM
Safety Car

I was hoping you'd change your mind. Name calling, etc., is taking it too far. You know, we had a little exchange going too. I stopped responding before I lost my head with that guy... I could see where he was going with these "debates" (name calling/personal attacks). I'm surprised you entertained his shit for as long a you did. You're a better man than I am.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:11 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm...

by the way, I haven't seen the new 3 series in person yet. the WSJ has a relatively favorable review, and sharply criticized the idrive.

I didn't like the 5 series exterior when I first saw them, but I have changed my opinion. I have seen 2 in my neighborhood, one black and one silver. both looked very, very sharp to me. front and back. Can't say the same about Lexus or Acura RL.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Racer

This is funny. People I know that are loyal to BMws and hate the new Bangle cars, see the 3 as not too bad. People that are new to BMW and bought the Bangle cars, think the new 3 is not avant-garde enough...

lol, they will sell every last one between the 2.....
Old 06-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Update on Cabrio - 3.5L engine mentioned

It's A CC Change For 3-Series - - By Dan Strong - - Source: Autoexpress

A folding metal roof, sharper styling and fresh engines: these are the three elements which will combine to make the all-new BMW 3-Series Coupé Cabriolet one of the most desirable cars on the market.

But does this signal the end of the much loved Coupé? Auto Express can reveal it doesn't - and we have the pictures in this week's mag to prove it.

Codenamed E93, the CC is a first for the 3-Series. The traditional fabric hood has been ditched in favour of an electrically operated roof that stows neatly in the boot. Our sources say the four-seat interior will be trimmed in the same style as the saloon. However, a question mark remains over the front end. It's been suggested the E93 will get a unique headlamp design to differentiate it from the rest of the range.

Engine choices comprise 2.0 and 3.5-litre diesels, plus 2.0, 2.5 and 3.5-litre petrol options. A sporty M version, powered by a V8 and featuring a semi-automatic gearbox, is also under development.

Prices have yet to be announced, but it has been hinted that the new roof technology on the Coupé Cabriolet won't come cheap. As a result, buyers can expect to pay a premium of at least £4,500 over the equivalent saloon variants. The new model is set to make its debut at a top European motor show next year, probably Geneva in March, and will go on sale soon after.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hmm...interesting about the note of a 3.5L engine. So does that mean that we will have a 3.0L turbo and a 3.5L NA engines offered?

Quick Reply: BMW: 3-Series News