Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:41 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Would RLX sell well with BOGO?
Buy any One acura, Get One rlx for free?

Perhaps.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:44 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
How do you think Honda should improve the Acura brand?
Sorry for my other post and creating a fresh thread. Didn't realize we had a dedicated thread for these articles.

In my thread, Neuronbob did a nice job summarizing everyone thoughts!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Not this again.....

You may want to search as this topic has been fleshed out by the populace here for several years.

This thread will end in some sort of combination of:

1. Fire everybody
2. Fire the designers
3. OMG RWD V8 WTFBBQ
4. Get rid of the beak
4a. Whiskers
5. Bring back the names and get rid of the alphanumerics

Interesting link in which yet again, Honda executives admit they don't know what to do with Acura.

Enjoy!
In any case, the article struck a chord with me because I was actually quite surprised by the state of Acura when I went sedan shopping. I hadn't truly shopped for a sedan in nearly a decade and you don't get an appreciation for what a car company truly offers until you spend time comparing all the competition in detail and test driving and all of that.

My thoughts are that all it takes is one really good sedan to revive Acura. In late 2003, Acura introduced a sedan with electronics several years ahead of the competition, good looks, solid performance at a reasonable price lower than the rest of the luxury sedan market. Sales took off and carried the brand for several years. When I shopped for a new car, I really wanted to stick with Acura and gave the TSX very serious consideration, but when non-Luxury brands are offering the same, it didn't make sense to me. The Ford Fusion, Kia Optima, Hyundai Sonata, Honda Accord, Volvo T5 all had plenty to offer.

My question to the board here. If Acura were to come out with a killer TLX, would the brand be revived? They've got a decent thing going with the MDX and RDX. Add a nice selling sedan and you'd think it wouldn't be too hard for Acura to build off of that.

It seems a shame to not have a great luxury sport sedan for the great Honda engines be paired up with.

Last edited by jhumbo; 12-16-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:57 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

I noticed this article on the first page of this thread from back in early 2003:

Acura was in a similar situation. Which again makes me think that if they can hit the ball out of the park with the TLX, they'll be back in a decent position.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Jerry Seinfeld teams up with Acura on new ads

Acura, which featured Jerry Seinfeld in its 2012 Super Bowl commercial, is once again teaming up with the comedian on a new set of ads.

But unlike in 2012, when millions saw Seinfeld as the star of the luxury brand's commercial, his role in these ads will be strictly behind the camera, where he'll act as a writer and creative collaborator.

The spots will only run on the Internet and will debut as part of Acura's exclusive sponsorship for Seinfeld's Web series, "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee."

"My idea for 'Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee' was to show this certain aspect of the stand-up comedy world in a way that comedy fans would enjoy experiencing as if they were there," Seinfeld said in a release. "There is absolutely no doubt that without Acura's support I would not have been able to continue beyond the initial experiment. And now Acura has enabled me to extend the concept by creating ads that fit the comedy tone of the show."

Retro-style ads

In a world where automakers are finding it increasingly tougher to cut through the noise and create ads that connect with buyers, Acura's Web-only spots take an interesting approach.

Since working with the auto company on its Super Bowl ad, Seinfeld has stayed in touch with Mike Accavitti, senior vice president at American Honda Motor. During their discussions, the comedian told Accavitti that he didn't really care for any of the ads being aired by the car industry.

So he decided to put his stamp on them.

"Jerry is a comedic genius. His creativity and dedication to excellence made these new spots the gems that they are," Accavitti said.

Honda said it doesn't have plans for the ads, which were written by Seinfeld and directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, to hit TV screens in the near future.

But if they generate some buzz, who knows—there's always the chance the two will revisit their plan.

—By CNBC's Phil LeBeau. Follow him on Twitter

@LeBeauCarNews
More here: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101279771
Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Seinfeld

Jerry Seinfeld has written 8 new Acura commercials in collaboration with Boston ad agency Mullen as part of the brand's title sponsorship of his Web series Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. The faux-vintage spots—all 8 are posted below—will bookend new episodes of the show, coming Jan. 2. They were directed by Barry Sonnenfeld and inspired by actual old car commercials from the '60s.

But while those old spots sound a bit ridiculous these days (Seinfeld ran actual vintage Acura ads as pre-roll on Comedians in Cars last season), these new ads are intentionally silly—playing off the old style but taking it in absurd directions.

Seinfeld spoke with AdFreak on Tuesday about the creative process behind the ads, his experience with Super Bowl spots and what he thought of Will Ferrell's Dodge work.

So, these are fun spots. This must have been an exciting project for you.
You know, I have done a bit of advertising over the years. But I have never been given the creative freedom that I was given on these by Acura. They're gutsier than any other company I've ever worked with. Not that I've worked with that many, but I've worked with a few. Because this work, as you can see, is not like any other work that they've done. And usually—as you well know, being in the ad game—the clients tend to get nervous, especially when they're spending a lot of money. But [Acura marketing chief] Mike Accavitti, I've never seen a guy like this guy. Nerves of steel. It's pretty rare. But I think that's why they came out so good. I would give him all the credit.

Tell me about the creative process—how you worked with Mullen on these.
Mullen and I sat in a room together. Now, we ran vintage Honda and Acura stuff from the '60s and '70s last season on Comedians in Cars. And everybody kind of enjoyed that. And I said, Yeah, I've looked at everything that exists of the old advertising, and I picked out all the good ones. And I don't have any more. And I thought, Why don't we make new old advertising … that's bad. Because that's what's fun. A lot of the lines are stuff we actually found. We would put our little spin on it.

A lot of the advertising in the old days focused on the size of the car. People felt that you were really getting your money's worth if the car had a big trunk. Which of course is something that no one cares about now. No one buys an SUV and goes, "Well, how big is the trunk?" Because they're all big.

So, it's about taking the old tropes and pushing them a little bit.
Yes. And you know, to me, a lot of things have gotten worse that you could point to in our culture. A lot of advertising has gotten worse. I think it's kind of lost its nerve, to be honest with you. I feel like the advertising of the '60s, they were nervier. You know why? Because there was less at stake. It always worked. There were 3 networks. Everyone's going to see this. They're going to buy the car. And now, everyone's more nervous. Eyeballs are harder to get. And everyone's less inclined to take a risk.

You've seen those high stakes firsthand, having done Super Bowl ads for American Express and, of course, Acura.
Yeah. I've done a number of Super Bowl ads. And that is the best advertising of the year. That is when people realize they're going to be compared directly against other ads.

What did you think of Will Ferrell's ads for Dodge?
I like anything Will Ferrell does, so I was a fan of those. But it didn't seem to be a different type of car advertising. It seemed to be a different type of movie advertising. But different is always good.

So, you wrote a lot of the jokes for these Acura ads?
I did. We just wanted to get that feeling of "Hot, handsome and a honey to handle." Nobody says things like that anymore. Or "The perfect car for the big-car man." And the "Yesterday, today and tomorrow" thing. I like the little tension between the spokesman and the spokeswoman, that we can see that they aren't quite getting along.

My favorite thing is: "MDX. Three letters that stand for 'Earth, style and you.' " That's just like, nobody read that over and went, "What do you mean? Why does it stand for that? The letters don't even match up to that. Why are we saying that?" So, it's also part of the drunken, lazy ad culture of the '60s."

Old 12-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
these RLX commercials belong to Lincoln Town car
Old 12-18-2013, 03:57 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Wow..... lame as hell.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Wow..... lame as hell.
I don't think Seinfeld has been relevant since the late 90s. What are the folks at Acura thinking with this? (I know...we've all been asking that same question, but....).
Old 12-18-2013, 04:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Lol
Old 12-18-2013, 05:52 PM
_

I don't think the ads were meant to be taken seriously.

In any case, Astro (part 1) was the only decently done ad and feels like it actually could have ran in the 60's

The others were just too much.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 PM
_

RLX Recall

Statement by Acura Regarding Rear Suspension Bolt Recall: 2014 Acura RLX

12/15/2013 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • 7,387 Acura RLX vehicles are being recalled in the United States
  • Rear suspension bolts will be replaced at no charge
  • No crashes or injuries have been reported related to this issue

Acura will voluntarily recall 7,387 RLX vehicles from the 2014 model-year in the U.S. to replace rear suspension bolts that may not have been tightened properly. During assembly, it is possible that one or more of the eight bolts that attach several rear suspension components were not tightened properly. A bolt that is not properly fastened could loosen over time and fall out, possibly allowing a portion of the rear suspension to move out of proper alignment, increasing the risk of a crash. No customer crashes or injuries have been reported related to this issue.

Acura is announcing this recall to encourage owners of all affected RLX vehicles to take them to an authorized Acura dealer as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Acura. Mailed notification to customers will begin in early January 2014, and at that time, owners of these vehicles will be able to determine if their vehicles require inspection by going on-line at www.recalls.acura.com or by calling (800) 382-2238, and selecting option 4.
7,387 Acura RLX's? 4,456 total sold in U.S. as of last month. Now subtract about 400 possible sales since then means there are about 2,400 RLX's sitting unsold on dealer lots.

If they've sold an average of 441 RLX's per month, does that mean that there's a 163 day supply of RLX's?

Last edited by AZuser; 12-18-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:43 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
Atleast they've sold more cars then Audi this year.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:42 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
RLX SH SH-AWD at the same level with A6 quattro and blows away GS. Looks like 5er is still up there.
0 to 60 still to come.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/18/2...deo/#continued

Last edited by MuGen7Modulo; 12-18-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:53 PM
_

Originally Posted by VR1
Atleast they've sold more cars then Audi this year.
Acura's sold more than 1.5 million vehicles in 2013? I doubt it.

Dec 16, 2013 , INGOLSTADT, Germany
AUDI AG: More than 1.5 million automobiles delivered to customers
  • Milestone delivery today at the Audi Forum Ingolstadt
  • CEO Stadler: “Expanding product range to 60 models”
  • Sales chief Luca de Meo: “Setting our sights on the next target of two million deliveries by 2020”

A special moment for the brand with the four rings: Today, the 1.5 millionth Audi since the beginning of the year was handed over to its owner at the Audi Forum Ingolstadt. This means that AUDI AG has achieved its sales target, set for 2015, two years earlier than planned. Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG, and sales chief Luca de Meo personally handed a customer from Germany the keys to the anniversary vehicle: an Audi A3 Sportback.

“Our whole team is making Audi history today: In 2005, we set ourselves a very ambitious goal, and since then have sparked an unparalleled brand and model initiative,” said Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG. “We will continue to write this success story and expand our product range from the current 49 to 60 models. We see a great deal of potential, particularly in the SUV segment and in the especially prestigious full-size category.”

With over 1.5 million deliveries in 2013, AUDI AG will have doubled its global sales within a single decade. In 2003, Audi sold around 769,900 cars annually.

“Today, we are reaching our intermediate target significantly earlier than planned, despite extremely challenging conditions in many markets,” says Luca de Meo, Member of the Board of Management for Sales at AUDI AG. “We are now setting our sights on the next target and are in a strong position to achieve the two million mark by 2020.”

The company recently achieved record figures for the 47th month in a row since January 2010. The brand’s global sales currently exceed the previous record set in 2012 by 7.4 percent.

http://www.audiusanews.com/pressrele...iles-delivered
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I was talking about US sales, not global.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:25 PM
_

Originally Posted by VR1
I was talking about US sales, not global.
Oh. But not by a whole lot. Only 8,637 more.
Audi = 141,048
Acura = 149,685
Car sales? No.
Audi = 95,995
Acura = 62,301
SUV/CUV sales? Yes.
Audi = 49,260
Acura = 87,384
Kinda sad for a company who used to be known for fun to drive cars.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Safety Car

Cool BloomBerg

Honda Motor Co. (7267)’s No. 2 executive, asked to identify the automaker’s weak spot, spoke bluntly: The company’s Acura luxury sedans have to get better.

The world will soon learn whether they have. Next month Honda will introduce the Acura TLX to replace its aging TL, the brand’s top-selling sedan that was last revamped 5 years ago. Designed by Honda’s North American unit, the reworked luxury car will be the latest test of the Tokyo-based automaker’s decision to give more influence to U.S. engineers.

“We need an Acura brand to shine among luxury franchises,” Executive Vice President Tetsuo Iwamura said in an interview last week at Bloomberg’s headquarters office in New York. “It’s high time.”

Acura car sales are down 8.6% in the U.S. through November. That represents a drag on results for a company with 4 models -- the Civic, Accord, CR-V and Odyssey -- ranking 1st or 2nd in their respective segments. Combined Honda and Acura sales are up 7.8% this year, the slowest pace of the market’s biggest automakers and trailing the industry’s 8.4 percent increase through November.

Honda plans to introduce its 2015 model TLX sedan next month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Iwamura said. A modified ILX compact sedan with a more robust powertrain will follow, and Acura’s NSX “supercar,” a high-performance coupe, returns in 2015. Iwamura declined to detail changes to the youth-oriented ILX model.

Berkman’s Role

The job of bringing the TLX to life was entrusted to Erik Berkman, a 30-year Honda veteran who in 2012 became the company’s 1st non-Japanese head of research and development for North America. Honda bolstered the U.S.-based operation’s power earlier this year when it created a 9-member North American management board, which includes Berkman, 2 other Americans and a Canadian. The board is in charge of products and strategy for the region, which generates the biggest share of the company’s global sales.

Berkman was among the engineers who helped the company tackle its last big test: 2012’s on-the-fly redesign of the critically panned Civic. He previously gained stature within Honda for leading development of Acura’s last hit sedan, the 2006 TL that helped the brand reach record sales in 2005. Getting Acura right, after what Iwamura called its “winding path,” is important to tap growing demand for premium vehicles in the U.S. and around the world.

Lagging Lexus

As Acura car sales have fallen, other premium brands have gained ground. Toyota Motor Corp.’s Lexus car sales rose 15% in the U.S. this year through November; Bayerische Motoren Werke AG’s BMW are up 9.2%; Daimler AG’s Mercedes-Benz, up 14%; and General Motors Co. (GM)’s Cadillac, up 55%. Mercedes-Benz car sales total 183,358 this year through November while BMW has delivered 178,512 cars, according to Autodata Corp.

While Honda derives the bulk of its revenue from mass-market Civic compacts, Accord sedans and small CR-V SUVs, luxury autos ensure better profit margins. The average Honda sold for $25,976 in November, versus $40,597 for each Acura vehicle, according to Kelley Blue Book, an automotive pricing and data company.

For now, Acura sales are sustained by the new MDX and RDX sport-utility vehicles, which account for 58% of Acura’s 149,685 U.S. sales through November. Honda sold 62,301 of its four Acura sedan models over the same period, including the large RLX and outgoing TSX, less than half the volume of Toyota’s premium Lexus cars.

‘Big Opportunity’

Acura, created prior to Lexus or Nissan Motor Co.’s Infiniti as a U.S. premium brand, can become a bigger source of global revenue for Honda, said Steve Usher, a San Diego-based equity analyst for JI Asia Research, who rates Honda a buy.

“They are now looking at it on a more global scale,” Usher said. “They’re starting to think about getting Acura to China, and that will be a big opportunity.”

Iwamura said in January that his 2013 goal was a U.S. sales record -- topping its 1.55 million U.S. sales in 2007. Lagging Acura deliveries make that unlikely, he said last week. Still, Honda averted a larger blow: that Civic and Accord, cornerstones of success for 30 years, were falling behind competitors’ new compact and mid-size offerings.

‘Strong Again’

A poor review for the 2012 Civic by Consumer Reports sent shock waves through Honda. The company took the unusual tack of rushing out an upgrade -- what it calls a “major minor refresh” -- that improved Civic’s interior and added a stronger frame that gave it the best crash rating of any U.S. compact.

The revamped Civic and new Accord that came out in 2012 lifted Honda-brand car sales 8.8 percent, outpacing an industrywide average for cars of 5.6%, according to Autodata.

“Honda is definitely strong again and, if not boiling over, on a steady simmer in terms of progress and momentum,” said Karl Brauer, industry analyst at Kelley Blue Book.

Honda argues that if fleet sales are removed, it boasts 1 of the industry’s best growth rates in retail deliveries this year. Retail sales reflect only vehicles sold directly to individuals, rather than to businesses and rental-car companies.

Honda estimates less than 2% of its U.S. sales are to fleets. It eschews them to maintain higher resale values for retail buyers, U.S. senior vice president Mike Accavitti said.

Changing Landscape

Like Toyota, Honda is still adapting to an automotive landscape in which quality is a given and companies including GM, Ford Motor Co. and Hyundai Motor Co. now build some of the most compelling vehicles.

“Everybody is better than they used to be,” Brauer said. “You can’t be the clear or easy winner in any segment like you used to.”

Acura’s inconsistent car line has made the brand a laggard in recent years to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and GM’s Cadillac and Volkswagen AG’s Audi unit. Sales peaked at 209,610 in 2005 and dwindled in 2009, when U.S. auto sales collapsed. Acura deliveries may reach about 163,000 units this year, based on the sales pace through November.

Iwamura said the mid-size TLX sport sedan that replaces the aging TL will be the biggest change for Acura in 2014.

The racing-style NSX that returns in 2015 will be Acura’s performance “halo,” Iwamura said. The car should sell for more than $100,000, he has said. The last units of the all-aluminum coupe were sold in 2007.

‘Big Kids’

Much as 2010 was a low point for Toyota, which had to battle a recall crisis, 2011 was similarly tough for Honda.

The Consumer Reports pan of the Civic came after Asian natural disasters in 2011 -- Japan’s earthquake and tsunami, and flooding in Thailand -- stalled Honda’s global production for months. A 2011 spike in the yen’s value made sales of Japan-built models such as the Fit subcompact unprofitable in the U.S.

Those setbacks, along with lackluster reviews for several Honda and Acura models, provided an opportunity to try a new approach, U.S. Executive Vice President John Mendel said in an interview last month in Los Angeles.

Honda has struggled with balancing a “small company mentality” with the fact that it now “is sitting at the big kids’ table,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Alan Ohnsman in Los Angeles at aohnsman@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Jamie Butters at jbutters@bloomberg.net

Last edited by TSX69; 12-19-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Seriously. When are head going to roll at Acura? How and why would they even waste time and money on that crap (vid clips). Its not going to help the brand at all.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

The target buyer is a married, 48-year-old man with a median household income of at least $200,000 and who works in finance, real estate or health care. Those are the same customers buying the competition,
They should use this for their commercial.. because it is funnier than their Ads.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Seriously. When are head going to roll at Acura? How and why would they even waste time and money on that crap (vid clips). Its not going to help the brand at all.
It's even more tragic considering the Honda Michael Bolton ads are pretty funny. Like, really Acura? You fumbled it that bad that Honda got the better materials? Those cars sell on their own without the commercial push cause they're good vehicles that can compete with their rivals. Acura is the one that needs the marketing push.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:11 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
High time?

The Acura designers were high when they designed this.

And their decision makers were high when they green lighted this.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

Berkman’s Role

The job of bringing the TLX to life was entrusted to Erik Berkman, a 30-year Honda veteran who in 2012 became the company’s 1st non-Japanese head of research and development for North America. Honda bolstered the U.S.-based operation’s power earlier this year when it created a 9-member North American management board, which includes Berkman, 2 other Americans and a Canadian. The board is in charge of products and strategy for the region, which generates the biggest share of the company’s global sales.

Berkman was among the engineers who helped the company tackle its last big test: 2012’s on-the-fly redesign of the critically panned Civic. He previously gained stature within Honda for leading development of Acura’s last hit sedan, the 2006 TL that helped the brand reach record sales in 2005. Getting Acura right, after what Iwamura called its “winding path,” is important to tap growing demand for premium vehicles in the U.S. and around the world.

To contact the reporter on this story: Alan Ohnsman in Los Angeles at aohnsman@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Jamie Butters at jbutters@bloomberg.net

Encouraging that he worked on the 3G TL.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Encouraging that he worked on the 3G TL.
Yup and if that works move him straight to the RLX project cause it can't come soon enough.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Hopefully he isnt constrained by the higher ups and a set beak design.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Dec 2013

CR-V annual sales top 300,000 for 1st time, joining Accord and Civic
Accord posts best annual sales since 2008 with double-digit gain plus strong December
RDX posts 20th straight monthly increase, smashes previous mark with sales up 51.6% for the year
MDX has best sales month in model history
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported total 2013 vehicle sales of 1,525,312 units, an increase of 7.2% for the year and the 2nd-best result in company history. A total of 135,255 Honda and Acura vehicles were sold in December, eclipsing last December's strong sales by 1.9% (5.9% based on the Daily Selling Rate, or DSR*). Honda Division annual sales reached 1,359,876 units in 2013, a year-over-year increase of 7.4% and the second best all-time sales total for the Honda brand. The Acura Division posted year-to-date sales of 165,436, a 5.9% gain and the best result since 2007.

Honda Division sold 119,504 vehicles in December, a 2.4% increase from the previous December. Acura Division posted December sales of 15,751.

Honda
Honda core products continued to show substantial sales strength throughout 2013. Based on the latest R.L. Polk data, Accord, Civic, CR-V and Odyssey continue to lead retail sales in their respective segments, with the Pilot SUV also gaining significantly. With respect to total CY2013 sales:
CR-V surpassed 300,000 sales for the 1st time while posting a December best of 28,759 units.
Accord sales were up to 10.5% to 366,678 units, its best showing since 2008.
Civic sales were up 5.7% to 336,180 units, its best result since 2008 and the 3rd best in its 40-year history.
Odyssey sales surged 32.7% in December for a yearly total of 128,987 units.
Pilot sales rose 10.3% to 126,678 units.
"Breaking our December sales record is a great way to finish a near-record year, but perhaps more significantly, the CR-V joins Accord and Civic as the 3rd Honda vehicle to sell more than 300,000 units per year for the 1st time in our history," said John Mendel, executive vice president of sales at American Honda. "In a hotly competitive market, where every manufacturer brought their best products, our core models demonstrated significant growth without having to resort to fleet sales to drive volume as some of our competitors do."

Acura
Acura light trucks continued to break sales records in 2013 with RDX smashing previous bests and the all-new MDX completing a strong 4th quarter with its best-ever month to push Acura trucks to their best sales year ever.
RDX recorded monthly bests for 20 straight months, completing its record run in 2013 with a total sales increase of 51.6% for the year.
MDX sales continued to rise sharply, delivering a 29.0% increase in December for its best month in history on strong customer demand and improving vehicle inventories. Full-year sales were up 4.3% to 53,040.
RLX brought solid growth to the luxury sedan segment for Acura in an abbreviated model year, posting sales of 5,053 since going on sale last Spring.
"Customers are finding the combination of luxury, comfort, performance and utility in the RDX and MDX to be pretty irresistible," said Jeff Conrad, vice president and general manager of Acura Sales. "With the strongest light truck lineup in our history, we're now turning our focus on our sedan lineup with the all-new TLX to deliver further growth for Acura in 2014."

*The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 25 days for December 2013 and 26 days for December 2012. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 307 days for 2013 and 307 days for 2012. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:42 PM

Nothing like a 30+% drop in sales for the ILX (12/13 v. 12/12) to really show how successful your new model is.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Nothing like a 30+% drop in sales for the ILX (12/13 v. 12/12) to really show how successful your new model is.
Don't worry...if they use Honda's strategy of hiring celebrities, we'll soon have Kenny G doing commercials for Acura!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Don't worry...if they use Honda's strategy of hiring celebrities, we'll soon have Kenny G doing commercials for Acura!
Yes, of course. Those commercials with Michael Bolton are brilliant!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
What?!? Seeing him sing on the roof of a Honda did not make you high-tail it to your closest Honda dealership for a brand-new Accord?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha
What?!? Seeing him sing on the roof of a Honda did not make you high-tail it to your closest Honda dealership for a brand-new Accord?
Actually, it made want to buy a Crosstour, the commercial was so good.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:47 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Its not all that bad. Not bad at all actually. Fix Acura Sedans and you have a very strong lineup. Honda core products are doing great.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

RLX sales is still decreasing even with yearend clearance? 10k off isnt enough. now $20k off.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
More proof Honda/Acura marketing department has peeps straight out of the insane asylum running the show.

As if a very current and fresh Bette Midler wasn't enough, Honda went and doubled down on the extremely hip and popular Michael Bolton for their commercials to sell you an AUTOMOBILE.

I think the marketing department actually hates Honda, and is trying desperately to sabotage and sink the brand.

It's the only thing that really makes sense.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 PM
_

Originally Posted by dom
Its not all that bad. Not bad at all actually. Fix Acura Sedans and you have a very strong lineup.
Easier said than done.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
600 RLXs sold is not bad - I thought by now they'd be down in 100-200 range.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Pretty amazing that 1M of the Honda's total 1.36M 2013 sales comes from three vechicles (CRV, Accord, Civic)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:18 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Easier said than done.
Especially when their last two efforts were the RLX and ILX.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Acura is a one trick pony at this point. The only thing it sells that's competitive are the MDX and the RDX. It's sedans are a complete flop. The ILX is underpowered and cannot compete with the BMW 1, Mercedes CLS, or Audi 3. Mazda 3 is more compelling than the ILX.

The TL is way long in the tooth. They fixed the botched grille in 2012 but it was too late at that time. Plus the current Honda Accord is a better and cheaper alternative. The Accord is a much better looking car. The new hybrid gets ridiculous miles per gallon and with the car optioned out it's just as luxurious as the TL. The only advantage the TL has is the SH-AWD which is low volume compared to its FWD variant.

The RLX is a flop. I have no clue what Honda was thinking coming out with the FWD RLX first. It has been a total flop in the press as well as with the buying public. It does not compete with any of the mid-sized German brands. Acura is lucky that Lexus and Infiniti hit the GS and the M (or whatever they're calling it now) with the proverbial ugly stick. The RLX hybrid if it came out as a 2014 model would have been an interesting alternative to the Germans and definitely better than Lexus or Infiniti. However, it's launch was botched. We have to wait mid 2014 for it. The RLX will not recover and continue to sell an anemic 300-500 units a month.

I have absolutely no hope for the TLX. I think it will be a smaller version of the RLX with inoffensive but bland looks. They will launch it as a FWD. The hybrid/SH-AWD will debut one year later when no one cares and no one is buying. Acura should just stick with mid and small sized SUVs. That's the only thing they've proven adept at producing.

It hurts to say that since I love my 2005 3G TL so much. I bought it brand new in 2005 and it's been 8.5 years of pure joy. Okay, that was enough of a rant.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:54 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Originally Posted by dom
Its not all that bad. Not bad at all actually. Fix Acura Sedans and you have a very strong lineup. Honda core products are doing great.
I agree. I think that if Acura were to come out with a killer TLX, the brand would definitely be revived. They managed to do that back in 2003 when they introduced the 3G TL. They've got a decent thing going with the MDX and RDX -- add a nice selling sedan and Acura's back in solid shape.

Originally Posted by dom
Especially when their last two efforts were the RLX and ILX.
Yes, it seems a shame to not have a great luxury sport sedan for the great Honda engines be paired up.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
As H/A enthusiasts we have to be confident about the future.
This will happen next: TLX will be a hit, maybe not like 3G, RLX Hybrid will be very competitive and boost the sales numbers and with killer MDX&RDX success, A will be back on track.
2G NSX and the return to F1 will have a huge impact also.

Honda has something unique going on since day one.

Quick Reply: Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News