Old 04-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
you need the mark levinson package to get the VSC

if you take out levinson and VSC the price becomes 36,384.

the point still is ES costs more than the TL

the ES has way higher quality of materials and luxury touches like rain sensing wipers, auto leveling lights and more torque as well.

depends if quality is important or how important.
"the ES has way higher quality of materials"? Weird. I'm finding more people and critics applauding the TL's interior as best in its class (and better than most in the class higher). But no, Gilbo says the ES is better therefore it must be true. :P
Old 04-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by AcuraFan
"the ES has way higher quality of materials"? Weird. I'm finding more people and critics applauding the TL's interior as best in its class (and better than most in the class higher). But no, Gilbo says the ES is better therefore it must be true. :P
Dude, don't forget the ES has more torque too.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Jason
Dude, don't forget the ES has more torque too.
You're right. The ES has a pulse pounding 2lb-ft more than the TL at a lower RPM. (nevermind the huge HP descrepency )
Old 04-09-2004, 02:58 PM

TL and ES are selling well. They are for different buyers. The TL interior is nice and the ES too. THe ES is more luxurious, it better be as it's not sporty.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by justinjsw
You can trash talk all you want...just like you thought the TSX was trash and the IS300 was going to crap all over it...guess whos laughing now. If you checked the numbers the TL out sold the ES330...and don't give me the TL is cheaper BS...cause it's not...MDX last I check are still selling as fast as they come in.

The new GS are not going to win any first place finishes in the looks dept either. The LS they had to redesign so quick because even the 55 yr olds thought it was BORING.

Im not even going to go there about the SC...
The fact remains, Acura is doing better and continues to avoid direct comparisons. They go after niche's which is not a bad thing. Acura is no where overall close to Lexus BMW or Benz. Get over it. Just look at all the threads people here start with articles from numerous magazines with" What is wrong with Acura" or "How to fix Acura" etc etc. I ain't write em.

Forbes had an article on cars last month about going after niche's and how it just turns out to be a failure.

Dude, I'm just stating what I think and some facts. The RL has TONS of proving to do. People ain't been waiting for no RL. Maybe Honda guys, but if it was gone, no one would miss it.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:05 PM

Fact:
After Lexus entered the U.S. in 1989, it was outselling BMW and Mercedes-Benz, now a division of DaimlerChrysler (nyse: DCX - news - people ), within two years. It still beats them, with 259,755 American sales last year, compared with 240,589 at BMW and 218,551 at Mercedes. However, Lexus has always taken second to the Germans in terms of performance, style and sportiness, opting instead for quiet, refinement, good dealers and comparatively modest looks. Is everything about to change?
Old 04-09-2004, 03:10 PM

Why Acura Isn't Keeping Up
http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2004/..._0223feat.html
Old 04-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Instructor

All I know is that I can't get enough TLs, TSXs or MDXs and the lexus dealer up the street has sale tags in half of the 200 vehicles he has on his lot. 260k a year cars with 8-9 models avalaible that only 35k per model.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Racer

1SICKLEX

Here's a question: Why are you always posting facts and comparisons about Lexus? Even in situations where Lexus isn't brought up, Lexus seems to be the main word in your vocabulary. So, just a recap, you think Acura is a niche company, which has been called a failure. The RL is a dissapointment that will get "eaten alive" by its competitors, not to mention you are not particularly fond on the TSX or TL, built on the lowly Accord platform- at least not in comparison to the "venerable" Lexus. Are you sure you're at the right website? Maybe you'd be happier spending your time here at ClubLexus.com instead?

Just a thought...
Old 04-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
You should see his post count at clublexus!
Give him a break - he's a car nut that hangs out in a lot forums and has a Lexus bias.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by TLProspect
1SICKLEX

Here's a question: Why are you always posting facts and comparisons about Lexus? Even in situations where Lexus isn't brought up, Lexus seems to be the main word in your vocabulary. So, just a recap, you think Acura is a niche company, which has been called a failure. The RL is a dissapointment that will get "eaten alive" by its competitors, not to mention you are not particularly fond on the TSX or TL, built on the lowly Accord platform- at least not in comparison to the "venerable" Lexus. Are you sure you're at the right website? Maybe you'd be happier spending your time here at ClubLexus.com instead?

Just a thought...
Whoa, I never said I did not like the TL and the TSX. For the dough, I have stated they are tough cars to beat.
Jeez, I'll just be quiet.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by biker
Give him a break - he's a car nut that hangs out in a lot forums and has a Lexus bias.
[/QUOTE}

Sure, maybe I'll give him a break when he gives me a break from his endless priase Lexus rhetoric. Car nut or no car nut, he has to know it's a big annoyance to come to an ACURA forum, critique or sarcastically comment on all of the models, knowing a big majority of the members on these forums are Acura owners. I'm not some obsessed, biased, Acura fanatic, I'm just someone who doesn't like Acura bashing and Lexus worshipping at every turn, no matter how "factual" or not.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Race Director

And now we take you back to the original scheduled program....
Old 04-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by TLProspect
I'm not some obsessed, biased, Acura fanatic, I'm just someone who doesn't like Acura bashing and Lexus worshipping at every turn, no matter how "factual" or not.
How about a little Lexus bashing and Acura worshipping?
Old 04-09-2004, 03:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TLProspect
Originally posted by biker
[/QUOTE}

Sure, maybe I'll give him a break when he gives me a break from his endless priase Lexus rhetoric. Car nut or no car nut, he has to know it's a big annoyance to come to an ACURA forum, critique or sarcastically comment on all of the models, knowing a big majority of the members on these forums are Acura owners. I'm not some obsessed, biased, Acura fanatic, I'm just someone who doesn't like Acura bashing and Lexus worshipping at every turn, no matter how "factual" or not.
You could save yourself some money and pay me no mind.

But I hear you. Continue your talk about the BMW/Benz/Lexus beating RL.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Jeez, I'll just be quiet.
Best thing he's said all day!
Old 04-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

You could save yourself some money and pay me no mind.

But I hear you. Continue your talk about the BMW/Benz/Lexus beating RL.
I don't think too many people here are saying the RL will 0wnz the competition. It's a good car that will compete well with the cars you seem to worship as untouchable.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Racer

I don't think too many people here are saying the RL will 0wnz the competition. It's a good car that will compete well with the cars you seem to worship as untouchable.
THANK YOU! A voice of reason. I wish Gilbo and 1SICKLEX would understand, I, and a lot of Acura fans, are not trying to say that Acuras, like the RL, beat their competition to a pulp- I realize the RL has harsh competition, but it can compete. I believe it. All of the Lexus praise is annoying, not because it offends Acura groupies, but because it's so out of place, and so frequent from certain members, as is the BMW rhetoric.

As you should know, Acura owners are not all blind to the problems. But at the same time, going over all of the negatives with a fine tooth comb, with sarcasm, while praising the other car companies, is a real annoyance and nobody is interested.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:50 PM

I never said the new RL will not compete. I said it's a niche car and I don't think it will sell as well as some of you think. I don't like the looks. I stated I like the interior. We don't know the price but the current RL is 44k. I strongly think the next one will at least be 44k.

530/m35/e320/gs330/a6

Now BEFORE, the RL was going to be the only one to offer AWD. But now.
RL AWD/M35 AWD/GS 330 AWD/A6 turbo AWD

Then
M45/E500/GS430/545 A6 4.2

RL lost it's edge with the AWD. Now it will be the super NAV (and Nav is still a gimmick to many people) and interior possibly as it's edge? Wait, it does have more power, 300hp V-6 (good move).

I shutup now
Old 04-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Drifting

Just a question for some people: how often do you see Acura trolls on the Lexus and BMW boards? Just curious because I don't go there so I really don't know.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Drifting

I never said the new RL will not compete. I said it's a niche car and I don't think it will sell as well as some of you think.
How many RLs do you think they'll sell in its first year? They sell about 250/month right now (whatever the number it's insignificant). I say they'll sell 2000 a month give or take a few. That makes the car a success.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:58 PM

How many RLs do you think they'll sell in its first year? They sell about 250/month right now (whatever the number it's insignificant). I say they'll sell 2000 a month give or take a few. That makes the car a success.
I think they sell about 800 RLs a month. Yes, 2000 a month would be a tremendous success for the RL. I don't think anyone has heard their projections yet yearly though.

Acura sells about that many TSXs. So if they sell the same amount for a car costint 20k more, that means a lot more revenue and profit.
Just a question for some people: how often do you see Acura trolls on the Lexus and BMW boards? Just curious because I don't go there so I really don't know.
Trolls rarely. Trolls are people that just come over and make Hulk rants like "your car sucks, mine is better" with no facts or data. There are quite a few Acura owners on BMW and Clublexus. Many Clublexus members are people who moved up to a Lexus from the Legend. WIth the new RL, this may stop this migration.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Drifting

Acura sells about that many TSXs. So if they sell the same amount for a car costint 20k more, that means a lot more revenue and profit.
You're brilliant!!

Trolls rarely. Trolls are people that just come over and make Hulk rants like "your car sucks, mine is better" with no facts or data.
You mean kinda how some people come here and tell us how Acuras are inferior to Lexus, M-B and BMW?
Old 04-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Race Director

Acura sold 450 RLs in March. Selling 2000 a month I think is very optimistic. It's very unlikely any car would be able to produce a 400% increase very quickly. The new M might since they are starting from 200 a month and they added the M35 which will sell - but that's with the addition of a whole model that didn't exist in the line up.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I never said the new RL will not compete.
Um, didn't you say not too long ago that people won't cross-shop the RL with Lexus/BMW/MB? That's what it means to "compete".

Well, that might have been Gilbo...I get you two mixed up sometimes. The whole "Acura isn't as good as brand XYZ" thing is getting so blurred these days I don't remember anymore.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:07 PM

You mean kinda how some people come here and tell us how Acuras are inferior to Lexus, M-B and BMW?
Acura is inferior overall...... J/K
Old 04-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think a lot of old people are gonna buy the RL. Old people buy the current RL. I guess some TL people will move up to it in a couple years. But I don't see anyone from Infintit, BMW, Lexus, Benz buying this car. Maybe test driving it. Unless it is like 5k cheaper or so.

It looks new but so who gives a shit, like the current Rl. DUffers will love it, FLuffers will stick with the Lexus or Benz.
Yep, right here. That, to me, is saying the RL won't compete.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:10 PM

Um, didn't you say not too long ago that people won't cross-shop the RL with Lexus/BMW/MB? That's what it means to "compete".

Well, that might have been Gilbo...I get you two mixed up sometimes. The whole "Acura isn't as good as brand XYZ" thing is getting so blurred these days I don't remember anymore.
I think I said that.
Bottom Line, it's a great improvement over the previous RL and will help bolster sales.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Drifting

I think I said that.
Bottom Line, it's a great improvement over the previous RL and will help bolster sales.
You sound like a politician now. At least Gilbo doesn't back down.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:39 PM

Ya'll R cool, I ain't trying to get banned or anything.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:42 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
He don't back down because he is already down.

I still waiting for his dumba$$ to respond. Damn clown.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Intermediate

Why do you guys even respond to dildoman? He is a compulsive liar. Probably just some little kid whos daddy owns a bmw and craves attention. In every single damn thread he gets owned cause he lies or simply has no idea what the hell he is talking about.

I mean dont you remember that thread where he talked about all the LEXUS he saw in japan even though the brand doesn't even exist there? Just say no to trolls.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:46 PM
4th Gear

I think a lot of old people are gonna buy the RL. Old people buy the current RL. I guess some TL people will move up to it in a couple years. But I don't see anyone from Infintit, BMW, Lexus, Benz buying this car. Maybe test driving it. Unless it is like 5k cheaper or so.

It looks new but so who gives a shit, like the current Rl. DUffers will love it, FLuffers will stick with the Lexus or Benz.
I currently own a 98 540i and before that a 96 TL. Found the 96 TL to be a little squishy, but love the look and performance of the new TL. I have always loved the smaller size of the 540i, the luxuries and the performance. In the family we have had 3 TL’s, currently have a 2000 RL and a 2001 EL along with the Bimmer. I have spent more time in the shop and more money on keeping the Bimmer alive than we have ever spent on all of Acura’s in total. I like the new smaller size of the new RL and I believe that the SH-AWD will bring the handling and ride up from the couch feel. With improved handling, performance and luxury amenities, this is one BMW owner who will seriously be looking at the new RL this fall when it is time to trade the 540i.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Something must be wrong with you Speedy. You drive a BMW, you're not supposed to look at anything else. What's the deal man? Don't you know you drive the ultimate driving machine or whatever? So what if it costs a mint to fix...you drive a BMW, what difference does money make.

Seriously though, that was a welcome post and it's good to hear from yet another person who digs the RL. This car is gonna be a hit.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:15 PM

Something must be wrong with you Speedy. You drive a BMW, you're not supposed to look at anything else. What's the deal man? Don't you know you drive the ultimate driving machine or whatever? So what if it costs a mint to fix...you drive a BMW, what difference does money make.

Seriously though, that was a welcome post and it's good to hear from yet another person who digs the RL. This car is gonna be a hit.
Ahh but as u see, to my theory, he is loving the Acura's he had (family has) and the RL is a logical step. Though he does have a 540. Dude, u got a lot of cars.
Score one for the Rl.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:25 PM
OG

Off topic...but have you guys seen the upcoming MB CLS sedan...thats bada$$ sexy.

Now back to the Legend I mean RL.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I just came back from the NY auto show, my feet are tired.

As expected, the concept RL looks better in real life. Not way better, just more distinctive in the flesh than in photos, which was also the same for some others, such as the new Jeep Grand Cherokee and Cadillac STS. Looked better than the Lexus GS, IMO.

This isn't an in-between car, it's nowhere near the size of an S-Class. It's a midsize, a little larger than the Accord, but it's the height and width that makes it look big...it's best described as brawny, wouldn't call it bloated.

The biggest difference between it and the current RL is the hood...it now uses a sloping wedge design; overhang and the length of the hood are typical midsize sedan. The currentl RL has a long hood and short overhangs by comparison. The LED taillights are designed very nicely. All I can say is if you're familiar with the BMW 7-Series taillights, that's what the RL's LEDs look like (read: not like Infiniti's where you have all those holes). They're arranged in a circular pattern vs. the BMW's honeycomb design. Way better than the TL's, I might add.

I'd have the say the headlight clusters and the huge panel gap in the trunk area on top of the rear bumper are two of the RL's biggest flaws. That panel gap is very un-Honda, makes it appear as if the trunk isn't closed tight. The headlight clusters look very high tech, while the car is somewhat demure looking, The contrast between the two is sharp, doesn't work. Something like the TSX's headlight cluster design would've worked better, as the car does have a stately presence to it. The side blinkers on the mirrors are now like MB, they're not just LEDs like on the TSX, they have chrome touches inside the lenses.

They didn't open the door to let us see the interior. Oh well. That's all.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:37 PM
OG

Acura's RL prototype unveiled in New York is "very close" to the production vehicle debuting this fall and looks like a finished product. It's athletic styling is a radical departure from the conservative current generation. "In the past, our cars didn't look like they were from the same family and now that's what we wanted to accomplish with this car," says John Watts, Acura manager of product planning. "We wanted something bold, solid, that looks like it's moving quickly even when sitting still." Acura is going for a younger buyer, he says.

Shorter and wider than its predecessor with 20-inch wheels pushed to the corners, the RL prototype looks muscular, also thanks to a sloping hood and beltline. The tapered shutlines and raised sides of its short deck lid resembles the trunk of the BMW 7 Series. Watts says the German car wasn't an influence. "That design is primarily for increased trunk space."

The RL prototype progresses styling themes of the RSX, TSX and TL. It goes a step further with two innovations Acura claims are industry firsts: an all-wheel-drive system that distributes optimum torque front-to-back and side-to-side, and a navigation system that offers real-time updates on road conditions. Headlights swivel 20 degrees in either direction as the car turns. Its 3.5 liter, 24 valve all-aluminum VTEC engine puts out 300 hp through a 5-speed sequential shifting automatic that has paddle shifters on the steering wheel. BMW iDrive detractors take note, the RL Prototype incorporates a large knob in the center stack to reduce the number of buttons. Competitors include the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Mercedes E class and the Lexus GS series, Acura says.

05RL

Cardesignnews
Old 04-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Don't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but someone commented about how the AWD system would slip and slide in the snow. Well they have a video of the RL doing snow testing - if you've ever seen those commercials for the Jaguar X-type, that's what the RL was doing, except it wasn't a commercial, it was real footage from the tests they did.

Quick Reply: 2005 RL Photos are up!!