2005 RL Photos are up!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 04:17 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
justin, does honda plan on releasing a car above the RL?
Old 04-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Pro

Bah to any 5-speed, 6-speed, 23-speed, etc; CVT is where it's at!
Old 04-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Roy O'Bannon
justin, does honda plan on releasing a car above the RL?
boy, that would be the day
Old 04-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Pro

You can already get updated trafic info via XM in certain locations. The only difference is that in my TL it like CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, are all audio w/out a navi visual. I've listened to traffic reports for LA and NY for the heck of it and the updates are fairly quick (I did not measure time) so my estimate was mental time not physical time.

All I can say for the exterior is that it is WAY better looking then the current model. It has a hint of sportiness to it (from pics) with out being too in your face like the 7 or 5.

I love the interior. I say that to some degree Acura benchmarked Audi. As for the real wood question, well the Legend LS and GS as well as the current RL used/uses real wood. The current RL switched from Walnut to Camphor a few years back. The Legend/RL has been the only Acura to date with real wood.

As for the big knob well I guess knobs are seen as defining lux cars these days. BMW started, M-B is adding it, Audi has it, so I guess Acura is following suit.

The rear seat air vents are to me Audi like (even if Audi doesn't have anything like it).

In general Acura is finally giving us an interior that does not remind me of a Honda's.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I see a little too much 4 door accord in it. Lovin the bling bling 20's though.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Forbes article

NEW YORK, April 7 (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co. Ltd. <7267.T> expects its Acura division, its North American sales arm that posted record 2003 sales, to boost sales by more than 7 percent to 184,000 units this year as several luxury car and sports utility models take hold, an executive said on Wednesday.

"Sales have been going through the roof," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president of sales for American Honda Motor Co., said at the 2004 New York International Automobile Show.

Acura is off to a good start this year after reporting as 29 percent jump in first quartrer sales. The division had record monthly U.S. sales in March with 17,310 units sold, driven by the TL sedan, the MDX sports-utility vehicle and the TSX sports sedan.

Colliver was in New York to introduce's a prototype for the 2005 model of the Acura RL luxury performance sedan, which will hit dealer showrooms this autumn. The latest version features all-wheel drive, Acura's most powerful engine ever at 300 horsepower and other new technology.

Colliver said he expects U.S. sales of the RL will reach 12,000 to 15,000 units in its first year.

"It's going to be a little more," he said. "We're going to feel our way into the (more-upscale) marketplace. We have the ability to increase production."
Old 04-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swami likey. That's pretty badass IMO.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Race Director

I like it, but it doesn't look like a flagship car for Acura. It doesn't "look" expensive for a flagship car. did you notice it has the mirror blinkers like the TSX? It could be the TSX's uncle or something.

But, The Lexus LS430 still looks more expensive and so does the Infiniti Q45.

It looks great, like the rearend and the interior, but I guess we can think Acura is heading in more of a sport luxury genre instead of a Jaguar and Mercedes type of Luxury type of car. Still good, but I was expecting the new RL would be more classy and not sporty. I mean I thought the new TL and TSX would be the sport luxury cars and the RL would be the luxury one.

The best Acura besides our TSX was the 91-95 Legend.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
But, The Lexus LS430 still looks more expensive and so does the Infiniti Q45.
That's because they are more expensive, at least here in the US, I don't know about Europe.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Race Director

well, that's my point, Acura should make a car to compete with the flagship of their luxury counterparts like the LS430 and the Q45, not their second string of cars GS430 and M45.

i don't know i'm glad that you get all of that for $46K what a steal, but its not up to par or has the panche of a flagship Lexus still.

just my
Old 04-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Instructor

I'm really worried about the use of a rotary encoder for the navi rather than touch screen. The Acura touch-screen Nav is part of what sets Honda/Acura apart from (and superior to) the crowd, IMO...
Old 04-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Instructor

i made some minor changes
Old 04-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Altersys
I'm really worried about the use of a rotary encoder for the navi rather than touch screen. The Acura touch-screen Nav is part of what sets Honda/Acura apart from (and superior to) the crowd, IMO...

well, it's not your problem unless you'll buy that in the future. i guess the only thing not inferior in our TSX navi owners will be our navi because it will be more user friendly than the new RL ones.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Take an MB S-class body...
Add a touch of CL on the back...
Sprinkle a little Corolla on the front grille...
Mix in the Accord's long low nose...
Add a pinch of BMW's 5 series interior ala idrive...

Stir...enjoy the RL

Old 04-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Instructor

maybe the NAVI is both touch screen and/or the toggle button
Old 04-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by d-rock
maybe the NAVI is both touch screen and/or the toggle button
Bad move, then...just imagine how far you'd have to reach into the recessed nav screen to touch it. Not to mention how awkward and unnatural your arm would feel.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Race Director

Does anyone know if this new RL was designed by Honda of America or Honda of Japan? Because the current RL design is existent here and in Japan as the Legend. If it was designed here in the USA, I hope it wasn't the same stylists that came up with the Exterior of the current 7th gen Accord. I hope the team who designed that disaster got demoted or their eyes examined. I think the Japanese Honda stylists are better (IMO).
Old 04-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

damn that thign is fugly...looks like a camry/corolla from the front and a hyundai from the rear.. the TL while not pretty itself is a lot better. and the specs are very underwhelming...5spd auto????? in a flagship? hello? the interior is a bit better but nothing special..the exterior is just HORRIBLE. it looks like the TL's little brother instead of a flagship.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:48 PM
TSX Bronco

I like it. The exterior is a little understated, but that's typical Acura. The interior looks amazing though. And of course it has all of the whizbang features are nice too. The pictures of the gauge cluster are really nice on the RL prototype mini site. A couple of pictures there show a real time fuel economy calculator? It probably doesn't work 100% but sounds cool.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:52 PM
T-R
Advanced

Gilbo, you can hate it all you want, but nothing can beat the fugliness of latest BMWs.
And TL is actually considered Ital-design-like (beautiful) by most automotive press. So I guess you are a miserable minority.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:57 PM

To me while the M35/45 is a hit, this new RL is
Madza Millenia grill
Infiniti I 35 lights
Chrysler Concorde hood (long overhang)
Dodge Stratus profile/Camry profile
7 series/Hyandai SOnata Rear.

The TSX and TL look much better and seem like the new Acura styling direction. This RL is a mess.

The good thing is the interior and I am sure the AWD will make it a good handling car.

But nothing about that exterior says luxury or $50,000. Sad
Old 04-07-2004, 11:00 PM
T-R
Advanced

Justin, about more surprises.....
If you can, please confirm (comment) the following:
1. heated rear seats?
2. rear camera?
3. adjustable suspension?

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1SICKLEX
You can make similar comparos with "status" cars:
RL has;
Mercedes grill/front end
BMW 5/7 tail
Lexus ES330 profile

While not as sporty in styling as the "edgy" TL, the RL will be a classy looker on the road.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by legendguy
1SICKLEX
You can make similar comparos with "status" cars:
RL has;
Mercedes grill/front end
BMW 5/7 tail
Lexus ES330 profile

While not as sporty in styling as the "edgy" TL, the RL will be a classy looker on the road.
The grill has horizontal lines like the SC 430, LS 430 and evey Infiniti. I don't see the Benz. The car has way to much front overhang for me to think it looks classy. Look how close the front door cut is to the front fender. Identical to the Chrysler 300M/Concorde/Intrepid. The front overhang is the exact opposite of the current RL and previous Legend. I don't see luxury proportions with this car at all. Sorry.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

the RL doesnt look all that great, but the new GS and 5 series are just as bad. actually all these cars look alike in some fashion. IF i had to pick Id get the M35/45 or E class. The E class is easily the best looking of the bunch.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Banned

The styling is boring, except for the 20" wheels. What happened to the team that designed the original Legend? The interior is gimmicky, but I guess that's what people in this price class expect. Mechanically this car is fascinating! I can't wait to see what the 0-60 and 0-100 times are.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by justinjsw
No
Yes
Yes

Don't know
What about adaptive cruise control?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:23 AM
has been here awhile

As for some earlier questions--the RL features power rear sunshade, manual side shades. Did anyone else notice the remotely retractable rear head restraints? They fold up when in use, and a button on the overhead console up front topples them back when they're not needed (ala MBZ).

As for 1SICKLEX's comment about not looking expensive enough--HA HA HA! Take a look at the new GS--take a look at the RL--look at the GS again, and realize that this RL looks FAR superior to the bloated, blatant Maxima copy. Loose the bias and tell us what you really think of this car. Deny it all you want, but the new RL is world class. Period. At least admit that the RL can now be a TRUE competitor to the GS.

BTW--anyone read the TOV forums about the new RL? I love how all the ricers like to complain about the new flagship. The RL isn't about "bling bling" crap--it's understated. Acura is the Japanese Audi...an anti-status, status symbol.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
As for some earlier questions--the RL features power rear sunshade, manual side shades. Did anyone else notice the remotely retractable rear head restraints? They fold up when in use, and a button on the overhead console up front topples them back when they're not needed (ala MBZ).

As for 1SICKLEX's comment about not looking expensive enough--HA HA HA! Take a look at the new GS--take a look at the RL--look at the GS again, and realize that this RL looks FAR superior to the bloated, blatant Maxima copy. Loose the bias and tell us what you really think of this car. Deny it all you want, but the new RL is world class. Period. At least admit that the RL can now be a TRUE competitor to the GS.

BTW--anyone read the TOV forums about the new RL? I love how all the ricers like to complain about the new flagship. The RL isn't about "bling bling" crap--it's understated. Acura is the Japanese Audi...an anti-status, status symbol.
nothing world class about the technology in it..the 5spd auto is a joke in a car of this class, the AWD system will go the way of ATTS in the Type Super Heavy lude, even the ES has power rear sunshade... the GS looks way better than the corolla/hyundai hybrid acura has put together, its a big step back from the TSX and TL... i guess bad habits are hard to change.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:43 AM

SPUDMTN, while IMO, the new GS has not totally won me over it has been called handsome in Car and Drive and is a nice step from the 1st and 2nd gens. This RL though, I am sorry but I was expecting more. I really thought Acura was gonna show some balls with it but alas, they took the safe route again.

I did not say the RL was not competition finally. Looking at the press release, it has the goods to be competative. But I don't see TL owners moving up to this car. And many people switching brands to it either.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:45 AM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by gilboman
nothing world class about the technology in it..the 5spd auto is a joke in a car of this class, the AWD system will go the way of ATTS in the Type Super Heavy lude, even the ES has power rear sunshade... the GS looks way better than the corolla/hyundai hybrid acura has put together, its a big step back from the TSX and TL... i guess bad habits are hard to change.
I see a trend--something tells me you just feel threatened by Acura. 'Tis sad...'tis sad :'(
Old 04-08-2004, 12:47 AM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
SPUDMTN, while IMO, the new GS has not totally won me over it has been called handsome in Car and Drive and is a nice step from the 1st and 2nd gens. This RL though, I am sorry but I was expecting more. I really thought Acura was gonna show some balls with it but alas, they took the safe route again.

I did not say the RL was not competition finally. Looking at the press release, it has the goods to be competative. But I don't see TL owners moving up to this car. And many people switching brands to it either.
Good points...I admit. Thanks for bein civil about it... Maybe gilbo could take some pointers from you...
Old 04-08-2004, 12:56 AM
has been here awhile

BTW--just checked out Acura promotional website. Took a look at the quartz colored interior picture and noticed the heated seat button was different from the NYIAS prototype--climate controlled seats are coming Yea baby The button clearly has a cooling feature.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:02 AM

I'm going to check it out now.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:10 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
BTW--just checked out Acura promotional website. Took a look at the quartz colored interior picture and noticed the heated seat button was different from the NYIAS prototype--climate controlled seats are coming Yea baby The button clearly has a cooling feature.
I didn't really care for that site, but since you mentioned the quartz interior, I had to go check it out. The interior looks a lot more airy with quartz...why does Acura insist on only showing the ebony interior of their cars in every ad/commercial/promo? I also notice leather trimming on the center console, nice.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:25 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Where is the site that shows Quartz interior?
Also, what color would you say the prototype is? Medium silver?

Choices are:

Exterior Colors: Desert Mist, Deep Blue, Meteor Silver, Ruby Royal Red, Medium Silver, Silver Metallic, Premium White,
Graphite Pearl, Nighthawk Black.

Interior Colors: Black, Grey, Beige.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by gilboman
The AWD system is world-class (if it does what they claim) and not going anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire lineup offering it by 2007. You point out that a ES330 has a power sunshade. Who cares? The Mazda 3 has bi-xenons and DVD nav. The VW Golf has heated mirrors. What does it mean? Nothing. Also, your point about the 5-sp. is only slightly misguided. It would have been nice but I don't think we are at the point that the lack of a 6-sp. is an oversight.

BTW, I hardly think the GS looks that much better. I have seen the GS in person and it's no big deal, and I really like the GS series. You're being pretty ridiculous about your little corolla/hyundai argument. Take a few liberties why don't you.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:33 AM
Pinky all stinky

Legendguy, here's the site:

http://www.acura.com/index.asp

If you're using Firefox (like I am), load up that IE because Firefox won't play the animations.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Drifting

Hey justin, I just noticed on the new TOV pics that the nav screen has fingerprints all over it. Is that b/c people were touching it thinking it is a touch screen, or is it an actual touch screen?

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...&page_number=2
Old 04-08-2004, 01:48 AM

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showt...ighlight=lexus

Scroll to the middle.

TO be honest whereas before cars used to suck in this class, none do now. Every car is legit, even the Lincoln LS and Jag S-type.

Quick Reply: 2005 RL Photos are up!!