2005 RL Photos are up!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
The Acura website says it's real! Good choice, Honda. It also confirms 20" wheels even though I still find that hard to believe....
But what kind of wood is that? Stupid vtec had to watermark the bigger pics so you can't see them clearly, and the other pics are too small for details. I also don't believe 20" wheels.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Like I mentioned in another RL thread the sketches were some early designers dream thrown on paper. Just like the M45 concept was toned down from the Fuga, the RL was toned down from that skecth - a bit too toned down.

From the outside it seems like Honda went the conservative route - it might still look good in 10 years but at the moment - I'm not feeling it. The interior seems quite nice - but you'd have to see that in person to really tell.
With those size specs it's one of the longest mid-sized sedans (the A6 is right at 193" I think) with the shortest wheelbase for that size (the M45 is 192" long but WB of 114"). I'm not sure the few inches make a lot of difference - the SHAWD system should help there.
Of course the questions is how much is this OK looking car?

Just think - you could have had a BMW 5/7 series kind of polarizing design. Instead it's just OK with most everyone. I'd consider it if it was available with an MT!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man - this is a SWEET car.

Traffic (and weather?) in real time on the NAV? Bout time someone did that (or maybe Acura isn't first, but very cool none the less).

Nice complement to the Acura line-up
Old 04-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Race Director

The 20 in wheels seems about right - Acura had to one up the M45 that comes with 19 as standard.

With those tires and SHAWD I can see this car getting 1G at the skidpad.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Advanced

Is it me or are you guys excited to see this SH-AWD in a future TSX? me----->

And that real time traffic update on the navi is definetly a plus.

goodness.... hope some of this stuff trickles down to its other models...
Old 04-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by jlukja
Utilizing the XM NavTraffic service beamed from XM's satellites, the RL Prototype's 8-inch navigation screen can display a variety of up-to-the-minute traffic information where available including flow (traffic speed), accidents, and construction on freeways in 20 major metro areas including Los Angeles, New York and Chicago. Flow and accident information are updated continuously, allowing drivers to take the least congested route to their destination.
XM tracks where you're driving?? I guess Tony Soprano won't be adding it to his car.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by balata97
Is it me or are you guys excited to see this SH-AWD in a future TSX? me-----> ....
That's a good thought, but honestly I don't think the TSX has the guts to handle it. It'd be REALLY nice on the TL, though.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
That's a good thought, but honestly I don't think the TSX has the guts to handle it. It'd be REALLY nice on the TL, though.
Yep - they will have to mate SH-AWD + IMA to bring it to the TSX
Old 04-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Pro

Looks like the freakish love-child of a naughty 3-way between a Lexus ES330, Chrysler Concorde, and BMW 5-series....

...which should make it a hit with the empty-nesters they are targeting.

Acura needs to decide on one grille/headlight combo for all its vehicles (like BMW does). It is getting hard to pick out an Acura.

I think it will do well. Kudos to Honda for soming up with the SHAWD system; on paper, it looks like it should give Quattro and Infiniti's system a run for their money.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Acura Keyless Access system ... anyone else catch that?? So is this anything new/special?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Teh ?

Just wondering about this as I run through different forums rambling on about the new RL...

What part of this car will be a 'prototype' feature not translated into the production model? This car lists a huge list of features, some of which are very neat and creative, but would it skyrocket the price to a unreasonable levels? For instance, that whole XM tracking thingie, how viable is this to a production car? 20" rims, I could see possibly making it. And will the RL have real wood in the production car?

With only about five to six months before public launch, why are they revealing a 'prototype'? Why can't they either give us a total show car, or a total production car?

Honda just screws with my head every year.

Junkster, whose always thoroughly confused.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally posted by jcg878
XM tracks where you're driving?? I guess Tony Soprano won't be adding it to his car.
figghidibowdit
Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally posted by jcg878
figghidibowdit
Old 04-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by provench
Acura Keyless Access system ... anyone else catch that?? So is this anything new/special?
Found my own answer on hondanews.com:

"The RL Prototype is the first vehicle equipped with the Acura Keyless Access System', which allows owners to lock and unlock doors, open the trunk, and start the car without using a key. "
Old 04-07-2004, 01:09 PM
4dr & I like it that way

no stick??? f1 paddle style on the dash is still an AUTOMATIC, not SMG even. geez acura i thought you had become smarter than this. guess we wont really know the full benefit of SH-AWD until it shows up in the TL
Old 04-07-2004, 01:10 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by provench
Found my own answer on hondanews.com:

"The RL Prototype is the first vehicle equipped with the Acura Keyless Access System', which allows owners to lock and unlock doors, open the trunk, and start the car without using a key. "
Must be something like Lexus does with the biometric (fingerprint) authentication on door handles, etc.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:12 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I think it is a good looking car, but I think the TSX and even more so the TL are great looking cars, they are new and different. I would say that the market the RL is going into isnt always looking for different.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:13 PM
4dr & I like it that way

also i dont like how they went back to Bose for the speakers. They shuold have continued with ELS to make it a brand feature like mark levnsin or whoever in lexus and harmon kardon in bmw. whats with the GIANT knob in the dash? please dont tell me they've dropped touchscreen from the nav. rest of the interior is pretty nice, and the tech features sound cool. it woulda been nice to see a bump in resolution on the nav though
Old 04-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by davediego
also i dont like how they went back to Bose for the speakers. They shuold have continued with ELS to make it a brand feature like mark levnsin or whoever in lexus and harmon kardon in bmw. whats with the GIANT knob in the dash? please dont tell me they've dropped touchscreen from the nav. rest of the interior is pretty nice, and the tech features sound cool. it woulda been nice to see a bump in resolution on the nav though
Unfortunately, say buh-bye to our beloved touch screen. In the plus side, I checked out a photo of the input method on the Acura mini-site and it doesn't look all that bad. With real-time traffic incorporated I think I'll get used to it.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Junkster
For instance, that whole XM tracking thingie, how viable is this to a production car?
I'm guessing that the traffic info for the 20 metro areas they will cover will be beamed out on one of the XM digital channels. The info will not have to be updated very often to be useful (maybe once a minute?, or even every 10 seconds?) The GPS receiver that is already part of the navigation system will know your position. Its just a matter of updating the software to be able to superimpose the traffic data over the positioning data and add a little logic to select best routes. Sounds like a one-time engineering effort up front and not that expensive to reproduce in the navi units once designed. Just my

And, Tony Soprano, you won't have to worry about the XM system "beaming" your location info anywhere. Only you and your navi unit will know where you are at all times.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Drifting

And, Tony Soprano, you won't have to worry about the XM system "beaming" your location info anywhere. Only you and your navi unit will know where you are at all times.
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I think you are deluding yourself if you don't think the Govt. will take advantage of this technology.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Jason
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I think you are deluding yourself if you don't think the Govt. will take advantage of this technology.
The system has the ability to receive signals but not to broadcast signals. In order to broadcast to a satalite you would need a pretty accurate antenna and a pretty powerful signal, neither of which is the RL will have. Besides, the Govt. already knows where you are if you carry a cell phone that is on.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Race Director

Talk about a marketing gimmick - I can see now:

Acura salesman: Yes the paddle shifters are just like the one in the [insert real paddle shift car here]
Buyer: That's great

Every one will think they're getting BMW SMG like technology when in fact it's just a remote for the SS operation of the shift lever.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by biker
Talk about a marketing gimmick - I can see now:

Acura salesman: Yes the paddle shifters are just like the one in the [insert real paddle shift car here]
Buyer: That's great

Every one will think they're getting BMW SMG like technology when in fact it's just a remote for the SS operation of the shift lever.
Maybe ... but paddle shifters are on a LOT more cars that are pure auto w/o SMG like trannies. But I will say Acura sportshift is getting quicker and quicker with every rev. Plus ... SMG isn't free and wouldn't make sense on an RL ... now on a TL ... mmmmmmmmm
Old 04-07-2004, 02:19 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The system has the ability to receive signals but not to broadcast signals. In order to broadcast to a satalite you would need a pretty accurate antenna and a pretty powerful signal, neither of which is the RL will have. Besides, the Govt. already knows where you are if you carry a cell phone that is on.
The car doesnt need to communicate with the satellite to broadcast its location. It can triangulate its location based on the incoming signals and then send out its location over some other medium. This is probably how GM's Onstar works.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:21 PM
4dr & I like it that way

are you serious no touch screen??? theres a reason why honda/acura navs are the best on the market, BECAUSE THEY HAVE A TOUCHSCREEN. text input with a stick is just idiotic compared to an on screen touchpad. what the hell are they thinking
Old 04-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

People stick to cars. Cause you don't know jack about gps and sat radio. They are PASSIVE SIGNALS. THEY DONT SEND OUT ANY INFORMATION. So please go back to looking for black helicopters and stop talking about things you dont understand.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:36 PM
13 sec. car, 14 sec tires

daMNN!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Pro

Ya know how hard it is to type stuff in using a gamepad? Anyone that has ever renamed an entire team of players in a Nintendo football game knows what I am talking about. I can see using that big knob to control the navi screen being equally tedious.

If they aren't going to have a SMG, why not go CVT? It's much smoother than a discrete-gear AT, and since it can produce an infinite number of gear ratios, the paddles could change the aggressiveness of the gearing, ie. top paddle for more 'economy' (tall ratio), bottom paddle for more 'sport' (short ratio).

EDIT: Even cooler, you could make the paddles pressure-sensitive (like a 'gear throttle' if you will). Firmly tug on the bottom paddle for a surge of power by dropping the gear ratio dramatically, a tap on the top paddle to get a touch better fuel economy on the highway.

Hokie, who thinks CVTs are really cool when implemented properly. (sorry to gank your style Junk )
Old 04-07-2004, 02:51 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by picker
People stick to cars. Cause you don't know jack about gps and sat radio. They are PASSIVE SIGNALS. THEY DONT SEND OUT ANY INFORMATION. So please go back to looking for black helicopters and stop talking about things you dont understand.

I guess you missed my post above. You dont need to be able to transmit back to the satellite to give away your position. Something like a cellular transmitter will do just fine.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

not very impressed w/ the ext. Doesnt look like a flagship car to me, but its suppose to attract a different crowd. So far ive been very disappointed with new RL, GS, and 5 series.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by fdl
I guess you missed my post above. You dont need to be able to transmit back to the satellite to give away your position. Something like a cellular transmitter will do just fine.

Fdl. Which means that sat radio, and GPS means NOTHING to the government. They dont need to use those things against you and they cant. All they need is to throw a cell phone in your trunk and they can track you.

I am specificly addressing those who are talking about the government hijacking their NAVS and SAT radio to spy on them. They dont need to and they dont want to. Its so much simpler to hook a stand alone device to your car where you cant see it. Then to rig some wierd macgyver set up to interface with your sat and nav to track you.

Sorry if i came off rude in previous post.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by picker
Sorry if i came off rude in previous post.
Dude, I was about to fire back at you, but I got distracted by your avatar.

Now ... uh ... what were we talking about?

Oh ... yeah ... its cool.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
From Jeff at TOV.

"nicely finished trunk, however the hinges are still not the articulating kind."

I take it this means the trunk has hinges similar to our TSX? If thats the case, what a joke.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by tuan209
not very impressed w/ the ext. Doesnt look like a flagship car to me, but its suppose to attract a different crowd. So far ive been very disappointed with new RL, GS, and 5 series.
Me too, but to be fair, I still have not seen it in person. I think it's better than the GS, though. Can't wait to see the Infiniti M45 too!
Old 04-07-2004, 03:49 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The site is hopping. I wonder why?

As with most Honda/Acura products their cars look much better in person. Its diffcult to judge the lines and depth of the car from the pictures. With that said the new RL's exterior did not overwhelm me even in person. IMO the car has clean elegant lines...bordering in the boring department. Don't get me wrong its a good looking, clean vehicle but there are no lines to set the car apart from whats out there now or whats to come. I was expecting more after so many year with this current RL.

The interior is amazing...but I don't think it goes well with the exterior. The outside says refined...the inside says sporty and spaceage. Its high tech but with a cold feel to it.

I have heard a mock up of the DVD sound in the new RL...and its like sitting in a concert hall or in the TL but boosted up a few watts.

There are a couple more surprises they have not released yet for the RL.

BTW I was not impressed with the new GS or 5 Series either.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by justinjsw
You are a wicked, evil man.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:06 PM
T-R
Advanced

Originally posted by justinjsw
Are they big surprises or small surprises like.... LED taillights ....or.... passenger memory seat? I mean those are not big surprises IMO.

Can you at least confirm:
if the rear seats are power?
if the front seats are climate controlled?
Are there power sun shade(s)?
Those are good surprises IMO.

Also, do you know if Honda is working on 6-speed auto tranny?
Thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 04:08 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by T-R
Are they big surprises or small surprises like.... LED taillights ....or.... passenger memory seat? I mean those are not big surprises IMO.

Can you at least confirm:
if the rear seats are power?
if the front seats are climate controlled?
Are there power sun shade(s)?
Those are good surprises IMO.

Also, do you know if Honda is working on 6-speed auto tranny?
Thanks
No
Yes
Yes

Don't know
Old 04-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Advanced

lets hope so for the 6 speed tranny - a 5 speed is a little disappointing.

Quick Reply: 2005 RL Photos are up!!