2005 RL Photos are up!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really really unimpressed with the exterior. First, I think the marketing department picked the worse color to show off a new model car. That brownish grey silver color doesn't do it for me and seems to make the car look pedestrian and boring.

Also, for me the 20s on the car seem oversized for the rest of the body, giving me the impression that the car is actually smaller than the TL. I think the aggressive wedge shape of the the TL works better with the larger rimmed wheels, but it just doesn't seem to work on the new RL.

The rear end looks a bit like the Honda Accord Coupe rear with a touch of the old Vigor rear end. Again, it makes the car look small. The front end reminds me of the older model Camry, not the current model but the one before the current model. I wish I had some pictures. I do like, however, Acura's attempt to mute the diamond shaped grill. I never liked the looks of the diamond, and it seems Acura is trying to mute that a bit.

I won't get into engines etc. It's been discussed ad naseum, and if Honda isn't gonna get it now, they won't ever get it. But, I would like to add that the lack of "luxury" class power may also have a psychological effect on how bold Honda wants to go with the design of the exterior. The artist renderings are almost always more aggressive than the final product, and there is no difference here in the new RL. But I think the artist drawings showed a car that was aggressive, that demanded a lot of muscle. The V6 doesn't cut it and it may just have had a muting effect on the final design of the exterior.

I truly hope the RL looks better in person, but this may be the only time that I could honestly say that this car definately needs some after market body work (needs to be smashed down, body panels, new wheels, side skirts, etc.)

The interior is very impressive, but Honda/Acura has always been good at interiors. Not much to comment on there.

I just don't get it. It doesn't work for me. The new M45's exterior looks a little better in my opinion, but with the demise of the 5 Series, the weirdness of the Infinitis and now the "huh?" of the new RL, the E Class (with all of its reliability problems and cost notwithstanding) is probably the best looking mid-luxury car around.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by TLProspect
I looked at the Prototype website on Acura.com and didn't see pics of quartz interior- just ebony. Where exactly should I be looking?
It's a tiny pic, and it only shows the area near the bottom of the center stack/center console. It's in the Gallery slide show.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Instructor

looks like an I35 in the front, a 745 wannabe in the back, an E-Class wanna be on the sides... but somehow looks like an Accord? ugly in my opinion. I'll take my GS please.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Instructor

OH and is it just me or does the center stack look like a gussied up G35? wow i sound like a RL hater lol
Old 04-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
I like it, but then again I'm 57 years old, so maybe old folks like me like cars that look like that.

I now have a 2003 TL-S (leasing) and before that a 2001 CL-S. When my lease is up in 24 months, its going to be between the TL and RL. Have to see it in person and then drive it.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by biker
The show car has 20s and the standard will be 17? WTF? What's the point? I mean people are somewhat underwhelmed already by the looks. Acura wants to disappoint some more in the showroom? What is Acura going to provide the mag reviewers? The show car or the showroom car?

you talk as if EVERYBODY dislikes the look of the RL. sorry, but you're wrong. there are probably just as many people who like it as there are people who don't.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by James
looks like an I35 in the front, a 745 wannabe in the back, an E-Class wanna be on the sides... but somehow looks like an Accord? ugly in my opinion. I'll take my GS please.
if you like it's maxima sides and rear, then go ahead
Old 04-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Cruisin'

It'll sell very well and here's why:

Target market: Duffers
but duffers who like to occasionally punch it.
and not get noticed whilst punching it.
They wear brown shoes.
Have money
Demand reliablilty.

This is precisely the market Mercedes is missing. They're pretty numerous but rather unnoticed as they're the background, solid, conservative types. The car fits that perfectly: unobtrusive, unoffensive, unoriginal, unshakeable (spelling???), comfy, and likely can sock it to whatever it chooses save for a precious few cars.

But that's all my own opinion. :-)

I'd buy one.
Dr. Daryl
Old 04-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Dr. D-
Assume you are referring to the new RL. Would have to add to your duffers the anti-statusers. An anti-status person is one who purposely avoids the cache of high profile automobiles. He/she is content knowing that their car is every bit as capable but only the well-informed know this. They are OK with not having teenage boys drool when they see their car.

Any other RL types?
Old 04-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Pinky all stinky

What are Duffers? Took me a while to learn what a yuppie was, so bear with me.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:14 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
someone hit new thread instead of post reply i think :P
Old 04-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by phile
What are Duffers? Took me a while to learn what a yuppie was, so bear with me.
Golfers I think.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:39 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
Golfers I think.
does mini golf count? I can't play regular golf
Old 04-08-2004, 11:05 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up RL Prototype

Hey All........Has anyone gotten the e mail from Acura concerning the new RL Prototype? Wow....just wait till you see it!!!! 300 hp
V6 Super Handling All Wheel Drive.....It Looks AWESOME!!!!!!!
Acura might just be back on track with the big guns.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:08 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Originally posted by picker
Im almost convinced you people are . You guys have compared this car in the looks department to about every god damn car out there.
Yeah, some very interesting and quite a few far-fetched comparisons have been proposed here... eye-of-the-beholder and all that...

Sure it's conservative and evolutionary, while still attempting to replicate new TSX and TL design cues... is that anything other than what one would expect from Honda?

If it is a good car and performs the way Honda claims it will, they should be able to sell every one they make...

... if the price is right...

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 04-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Hey Johnny, take a look in the News and Rumors thread. We've been discussing it since the info first appeared on vtec.net.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Cruisin'

Doh! Thread out-of-place. Sorry.

This belongs with the 12-page RL thread. Sorry, in my haste I hit "new thread" rather than reply.

Duffer? Male, above 45, mild mannered, somewhat faded, occasional sparks of enthusiasm but less than before, bones sometimes creak but at least Willie still works. (Can I say that here...??). Clothes high quality, not stylish. Can be old clothes. Coffee is black, not Starbucks, likely Folgers. Duffer.

The RL (current) is so bland even duffers pass it by.
The RL (concept) is a perfect Duffer-mobile.

Dr. Daryl
Old 04-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Intermediate

Oooops..I hardly ever go to the News and Rumors Thread. I guess I better check that out before I go blabbing....:-) about new stuff. Thanks CG.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Re: Doh! Thread out-of-place. Sorry.

Originally posted by Dr. Daryl
This belongs with the 12-page RL thread. Sorry, in my haste I hit "new thread" rather than reply.

Duffer? Male, above 45, mild mannered, somewhat faded, occasional sparks of enthusiasm but less than before, bones sometimes creak but at least Willie still works. (Can I say that here...??). Clothes high quality, not stylish. Can be old clothes. Coffee is black, not Starbucks, likely Folgers. Duffer.

The RL (current) is so bland even duffers pass it by.
The RL (concept) is a perfect Duffer-mobile.

Dr. Daryl
Damn. How do you like your coffee Doc? BTW, you can say just about anything here (as evidenced by SICKLEX and Gilboman).
Old 04-09-2004, 02:30 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
On the Acura site it says/shows the car with the 20" rims from the show car. Where did this "17s will be standard" come from? Who says the production version won't be just like the show car. The pictures on the Acura site are making the new RL grow on me a bit more.

I wonder if the "there are more features to come" comment from Jason means an MT would be available? Of course that would go totally against the duffer theme!

The question is: Do those duffers know to go to an Acura showroom to see it in the first place?
Old 04-09-2004, 03:01 AM
Drifting

I wonder if the "there are more features to come" comment from Jason means an MT would be available?
I think that comment came from justin. I would be surprised if the RL did come with a 6-sp., but you never know. He did confirm ventilated seats and power sunshades. I'm still waiting for a car to slot above the RL to compete with the 7-series/A8/S-class/LS430.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:40 AM
Race Director

Oops.. sorry it was justin. Come on, the cat's just about out of the bag - what's that new feature?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Pinky all stinky

On the Acura site it says/shows the car with the 20" rims from the show car. Where did this "17s will be standard" come from? Who says the production version won't be just like the show car. The pictures on the Acura site are making the new RL grow on me a bit more.
I read on Edmunds that supposedly, whoever got to see it during the press launch, saw some sticker on the car that says 17" and thus believed that the 20" were just slapped on for show. I really didn't expect the car to come with 20" anyway, although the 17" are a little disappointing. 18" would've been my choice.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Click on this link and then click on video highlights:

http://autoshow.edmunds.com/news/aut....leftnav.12.*#

It's nice video of the RL in action! It's looking better and better...
Old 04-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Racer

Originally posted by phile
I read on Edmunds that supposedly, whoever got to see it during the press launch, saw some sticker on the car that says 17" and thus believed that the 20" were just slapped on for show. I really didn't expect the car to come with 20" anyway, although the 17" are a little disappointing. 18" would've been my choice.
If you look at the galleries on VTEC.net (the ones you have to be registered for) you will see they took a picture of the tire pressure sticker, which says the size of the wheels are 17s.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:49 AM
T-R
Advanced

17" is sad. It’s only 1 size bigger than bottom of the line RSX. I am afraid that RL will look hideous with 17s, RL is a big car.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:07 PM

I think a lot of old people are gonna buy the RL. Old people buy the current RL. I guess some TL people will move up to it in a couple years. But I don't see anyone from Infintit, BMW, Lexus, Benz buying this car. Maybe test driving it. Unless it is like 5k cheaper or so.

It looks new but so who gives a shit, like the current Rl. DUffers will love it, FLuffers will stick with the Lexus or Benz.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:15 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
You boys are so funny...did any of you think for even a second the RL would have came with 20s? If you did you are smoking the good stuff. 17s are now too small? Granted it may not look as sporty as the 20s but those 20s were way too much for the RL anyways.

The new RL is about the size of the 03TLS...and that car only had 17s. 18s will be an option for the RL so we will see how many people actually order those.

I think the RL like the TSX look sexy...it's got the girl next door kind of feel to it. This types of looks last much longer and hold up better as we all should know. The TL and the M45 are like your hollywood type...in your face...it's got the look at me cause I have store brought boobies...kind of aura.

Myself I prefer the girl next door...so I thing the RL will do real well. Sometimes we have to not just glance at a pic for a second and say it sux...take your time and look at it a few times...study the lines...see it from different angles...and it starts to grow on you...just like that girl _________.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:24 PM
OG

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I think a lot of old people are gonna buy the RL. Old people buy the current RL. I guess some TL people will move up to it in a couple years. But I don't see anyone from Infintit, BMW, Lexus, Benz buying this car. Maybe test driving it. Unless it is like 5k cheaper or so.

It looks new but so who gives a shit, like the current Rl. DUffers will love it, FLuffers will stick with the Lexus or Benz.
Oh plz speak for yourself. I envision plenty of people cross shopping this and the E320/E350s, GS and LS(not everybody cares to spend 65+for a luxo car), 530is, A6s.

Some of you are so blind with brand loyality its scary. All car makers are here for one thing and one thing only...your money.

So you got a FREE danish and a cup of coffee to go with that 60k+ check you just wrote for your new ride...and guess who is smiling all the way to the bank...and you thought it was you...thats sad.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:33 PM
OG

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

You can trash talk all you want...just like you thought the TSX was trash and the IS300 was going to crap all over it...guess whos laughing now. If you checked the numbers the TL out sold the ES330...and don't give me the TL is cheaper BS...cause it's not...MDX last I check are still selling as fast as they come in.

The new GS are not going to win any first place finishes in the looks dept either. The LS they had to redesign so quick because even the 55 yr olds thought it was BORING.

Im not even going to go there about the SC...
Old 04-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Way to go Justin. This is fun.

Seriously though...I think Sick has an overdevelop sense of "holier than thou" mainly because Lexus sells more total units than Acura...is it because Acura bases it's cars off the "lowly" Accord? Probably not, considering Lexus' best seller is the RX330 based of the "lowly" Camry. In fact, their bread and butter is the SUV segment...all of which or based off Toyota models.

But that's beside the point. I think he's wrong about the RL as well. A good deal of TSX buyers were cross-shopping IS300s, A4s and 3 series. I don't know how the TL is doing with cross-shoppers...but I think the RL will hold it's own against it's targeted competition. IMHO
Old 04-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by justinjsw
You can trash talk all you want...just like you thought the TSX was trash and the IS300 was going to crap all over it...guess whos laughing now. If you checked the numbers the TL out sold the ES330...and don't give me the TL is cheaper BS...cause it's not...MDX last I check are still selling as fast as they come in.

The new GS are not going to win any first place finishes in the looks dept either. The LS they had to redesign so quick because even the 55 yr olds thought it was BORING.

Im not even going to go there about the SC...
Lexus is laughing?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:43 PM
OG

Originally posted by gilboman
Lexus is laughing?
You are just a waste of bandwidth...you have been owned so many times its not even funny...get loss...besides i don't respond well to little liars.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by justinjsw
You are just a waste of bandwidth...you have been owned so many times its not even funny...get loss...besides i don't respond well to little liars.
you pointed out TL which just came out and cheaper sells better than the two year old ES that costs more. and equate sales=good, using your criteria lexus sales are way more than acura so lexus is way better than acura? make up your mind.

um...you're the one that said the TL is not cheaper than the ES when it is?

auto 5spd ES vs TL 5spd auto, both with navi and delivery

lexus 38,554 acura 35,195

i dont think 38,554=35,195 did you fail grade 1 math? or are you just the typical sales who knows jack?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Drifting

i dont think 38,554=35,195 did you fail grade 1 math? or are you just the typical sales who knows jack?
Not so fast Gilbo Baggins! While you were looking up the Lexus I was doing the same. The cars are just about equal when comparably equipped. You may have come to that bloated figure by adding the Levinson stero, sunshades, and other little jokes nobody gives a shit about.

Tell me again why it's better to spend more money on a car when you don't get enough in return? You know all about that of course. BMW has been suckering you for years.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Jason
Not so fast Gilbo Baggins! While you were looking up the Lexus I was doing the same. The cars are just about equal when comparably equipped. You may have come to that bloated figure by adding the Levinson stero, sunshades, and other little jokes nobody gives a shit about.

Tell me again why it's better to spend more money on a car when you don't get enough in return? You know all about that of course. BMW has been suckering you for years.
you need the mark levinson package to get the VSC

if you take out levinson and VSC the price becomes 36,384.

the point still is ES costs more than the TL

the ES has way higher quality of materials and luxury touches like rain sensing wipers, auto leveling lights and more torque as well.

depends if quality is important or how important.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Race Director

Fellas, fellas, fellas.... um this is an RL thread. It must be a Friday afternoon thing.

Now that they cut off enough of the length of the RL to make it mid-sized I think it's obvious which models it will be cross shopped with. Of course at this price range the bagde matters some and some folks will be in one camp or another for quite a while. The only trick for Acura is to get some of those folks into the showroom.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:05 PM
OG

you pointed out TL which just came out and cheaper sells better than the two year old ES that costs more. and equate sales=good, using your criteria lexus sales are way more than acura so lexus is way better than acura? make up your mind.

Are you kidding me??? You are quoting MSRP with me...when YOU are the one thats been saying for yrs its NOT MSRP but what people are buying it for...Current market value!!!...you forum joker. You better bring it when you respond to my posts.. Now get loss TROLL.

Edmunds.com ...TMV

2004 Lexus ES 330
4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

What Others
Are Paying...

Total with Options $34,210 $30,243 >>> (($32,410))

2004 Acura TL
3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

What Others
Are Paying...

Total with Options $33,195 $30,300 >>>(( $32,194))

They sure look about the same price to me...or did YOU even go to grade school.

You need more...heres more...carsdirect.com

04TL

CarsDirect Price:$33,195
MSRP Price: $33,195

04ES330

CarsDirect Price:$30,639
MSRP Price: $34,210

Now go play with your barbies
Old 04-09-2004, 02:14 PM
OG

Village clown...lexus has more models to choose from just SUVs alone there are 3...hell they better sell more than everybody else. Go leave because every time you type something you are digging a bigger hole.

...or are you the typical guy who thinks they know everything.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:15 PM
OG

Come on gilbobitch...BRING IT.

im STILL waiting

Quick Reply: 2005 RL Photos are up!!