2004TL actually going to have 275 HP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:46 PM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by EmuMessenger
...Thanks again for saying how great ventilated seats are. If I can get confirmation within the first few weeks of the TL's release, I will wait for the RL.
I'd almost (ALMOST ) garuntee that if ventilated seats are going to be in the production RL, they'll be in the concept shown at Tokyo in October. That's only about two months away It'll fly by...

A couple of the big auto magazines have been speculating for a while that the new RL will have this...I think we'll see it, now that the technology is being spread throughout the auto industry. Acura/Honda is sometimes late to the game, but they do a great job at perfecting it!

SPUDMTN
Old 08-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: Why Some are disappointed

Originally posted by huskerfan
I do most of my driving in and around San Antonio. A 6sp is fine for some of you guys, but it's not for me or my wife. My point is that I have a 2003 TLS that is an 5sp automatic and I love it. I can put it in drive around town and shift it when I want to. If the 2004 5sp Auto is not performance equipped the way the 2003 TLS is, I feel I am going backwards despite the small increase in HP.
I don't think you'll have to worry. I talked to a parts packaging guy who works for Domestic New Model Packaging for Honda of America Manufacturing, and he told me, "The car should be a great machine for drivers. A lot of time was spent getting the suspension just right..."

He also informed me that the car will be over 98% domestic parts, and production begins Sept. 15th
Old 08-18-2003, 09:56 PM
has been here awhile

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Some are disappointed

Originally posted by RJC RSX
...He also informed me that the car will be over 98% domestic parts, and production begins Sept. 15th
I wish that Acura would just produce all of their vehicles in Japan...I mean, I'm sure the car will be well built, but it seems that when auto makers try to manufacture their vehicles away from their homes, the products have some atypical quality issues.

Don't get me wrong--I'm sure the car will be top-notch...I just sure hope that domestically made parts won't hurt the product at all.

SPUDMTN
Old 08-18-2003, 10:22 PM
More On

Originally posted by justinjsw
.....and a couple more things you guys don't know about yet.....
I got it:

(1) Wet bar

(2) Hover mode
Old 08-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Some are disappointed

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
I wish that Acura would just produce all of their vehicles in Japan...I mean, I'm sure the car will be well built, but it seems that when auto makers try to manufacture their vehicles away from their homes, the products have some atypical quality issues.

Don't get me wrong--I'm sure the car will be top-notch...I just sure hope that domestically made parts won't hurt the product at all.

SPUDMTN
Old 08-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

...and a couple more things you guys don't know about yet...
Sounds quite remniscent of SCMav07's comment.

I don't know about you all, but I guess I've built up a tolerance for the hype and speculation after seeing the photos. I'm pleased with what I've seen. I just want to see it in person, test drive it and buy it!

I'm cool with waiting another week or two. We've waited this long! I hope the October car mags have some good info on it. And, I hope Acura brings all the vital statistics when 9/1 rolls around.

Thanks again Justin!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I cannot wait for next month's mags. Luckily, I get Automobile, R&T, C&D and MT, but do not get Autoweek, which may be the most important as far as the TL is concerned.

Justin, thanks for the update today.

Will the RL have ventilated seats?
Old 08-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

let's find out who gets what auto mags and has a scanner so we can divide the responsibility.

i volunteer car and driver and popular mechanics.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:22 PM
has been here awhile

I get Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Automobile. I don't have a scanner, but I can take a picture w/ my digital camera

SPUDMTN
Old 08-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

well since mailings will differ by a few days according to where we live in respect to the circulation points, it's probably best we all just scan as we receive, being sure not to repeat anything. It won't take long to assemble an archive of all the magazine reviews.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:30 PM
has been here awhile

...it's probably best we all just scan as we receive, being sure not to repeat anything...
Oh, but aren't multiple threads on subjects like, I dunno, say the TL, a lot of fun to sift through? Can we please have 3 or 4 threads on the same subject? PLEASE?! PLEASE?!

SPUDMTN
Old 08-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah i could probably read the same TL review article 3-4 times and not realize it
Old 08-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

let's find out who gets what auto mags and has a scanner so we can divide the responsibility.

i volunteer car and driver and popular mechanics.
I get Autoweek, Automobile, Motor Trend and Road and Track. I'll cover Autoweek, and any others that haven't been posted by the time I receive my mailings.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by VtecMW
I get Autoweek, Automobile, Motor Trend and Road and Track. I'll cover Autoweek, and any others that haven't been posted by the time I receive my mailings.
Nice! AutoWeek will probably be the key here!
Old 08-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by SPUDMTN

SPUDMTN
I've never understood this US-made-is-automatically-inferior mentality. What makes people think that Honda doesn't apply the same quality control methods/standards at US factories that they do in their domestic (JDM) shops?

I can see the argument that Honda's US-built models tend to have more quality issues than those assembled in Japan. But there is also a relationship to volume. High-production cars like the Accord and TL are bound to exhibit more QC glitches than low-volume models like the TSX or NSX.

What about everyone's darling the BMW 3-series vs. the 7? The 3 tends to have more little QC annoyances than the 7-series. But they're both German-built. Higher volume breeds quality issues, period.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by larchmont
I got it:

(1) Wet bar

(2) Hover mode
I'd trade "hover" for "loiter", for all those times when you can't find a parking space and the car will just sort of inch around in front of wherever you are making a quick stop, such as the post office, airport, or a favorite hole-in-the-wall, not really standing or parking, but loitering. It'd be an evolutionary version of the adaptive cruise control. Will come in especially handy with the wet bar feature.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is already confirmed on the 04TL that's not on the 03...
Surround sound
Bluetooth
voice act/Nav
Projector beam Xenons
Curtain airbags
10 way power seat/driver
Dual zone air
manual transmission
LED gauges
XM radio
270HP
and a couple more things you guys don't know about yet,
just another week or so and we are there.
Hopefully, this list will also include:

Helical LSD on 6MT
Brembos on 6MT
Tire-pressure monitor
A few months of free service w/ the XM

Only two more long, agonizing weeks of waiting...
Old 08-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by princed

Helical LSD on 6MT
Brembos on 6MT
Tire-pressure monitor

Since the CL had an LSD, I would pretty much expect the 6sp to as well. Brembos, at least on the front, are already confirmed on the 6sp, as are 90 days free XM service. As required by federal law for 2004, it seems to me it must have a tire pressure monitor system.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Luck favors the ignorant.

Helical LSD on 6MT
Brembos on 6MT
Tire-pressure monitor

I was told that the minimum for XM would be 3 months free with a possibility of 6 months. But then again that is based on a salesmen, so who really knows

But since I plan to convert all my CDs to 5.1 audio using channel separation software, I don't think I will even bother with XM.

As for the extras for the 6MT, I am going to guess you won't see them. I just have a feeling that Acura won't want to jack the price on the 6MT over the 5AT by any large margin.

Tire pressure monitoring is anyones guess. Acura could go either way on that one, because we don't have a clue what their production costs are.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Does anyone know if the projector beam xenons have auto leveling?
Old 08-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: Re: Why Some are disappointed

Originally posted by huskerfan
I do most of my driving in and around San Antonio. A 6sp is fine for some of you guys, but it's not for me or my wife. My point is that I have a 2003 TLS that is an 5sp automatic and I love it. I can put it in drive around town and shift it when I want to. If the 2004 5sp Auto is not performance equipped the way the 2003 TLS is, I feel I am going backwards despite the small increase in HP.
What performance stuff are you talking about? By shifting do you mean sequential? In the pics from seattle, the automatic had sequential. I think this TL will have everything the 03 type s has with sooo much more.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:22 PM
A-TSX Newbie, my ass

As required by federal law for 2004, it seems to me it must have a tire pressure monitor system.
Please clarify. I have not heard about any federal mandate on tire pressure monitoring systems, and the 2004 TSX does not have this that I know of.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Yes, there is a mandate on tire pressure monitoring to be available on all new cars. I think it starts for 2004, and by 2006, it is expected that everyone will be in compliance.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Some are disappointed

Originally posted by ryder1650
What performance stuff are you talking about? By shifting do you mean sequential? In the pics from seattle, the automatic had sequential. I think this TL will have everything the 03 type s has with sooo much more.
Compared to the 2003 base model, the type "S" has a stiffer (sport) suspension, 17 inch rims, wider tires, Vehicle Stability Assist, a larger stabilizer bar in the rear, perforated leather seats, special badging, etc. Both have the same sequential sportshift transmission, so I wasn't talking about shifting, I was talking about the increased sportiness of the Type "S". My concern is that since there won't be a type "S", the 2004 TL may be marketed to appeal to a wider audience. Some of the sport features may be eliminated to appeal to the Acura buyers that would normally buy the base model for the smooth & quiet ride and not the performance.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by kurt_bradley
So 13 pages later, I finally got to the end of this thread. That took forever.

Justin - your work is greatly appreciated. I don't think that people really respect what we say sometimes, but you've got more info than me right now on this car. I hate when you're words are taken for granted. People do need to lighten up when it comes to these stupid features that they think are so important (adaptive cruise control, ventilated seats, and power tilting mirrors).

You guys need to lighten up on Justin. He and I may work for Acura dealers, but we aren't going to sit here and justify where some of the features are included or left out. We just can't do it. As for getting the other specs on the car, just wait until they lift our embargo on this on 9/1. Then we'll spill our guts. Until that time, we aren't going to risk our jobs to post up some info that people can wait a couple days to get. It's not like you can go into a dealer and check out the car yet anyway. This is turning into what the TSX sites were earlier this year. You all remember how much speculation there was back then and how much of it was worth all the worrying? When we get the official info, this can all resume. Just be patient and kind. All will be revealed in the very near future.

Just my 2 cents.
That was well said. We can't forget that the '04 TL is geared for the masses who want a 'near-luxury' sports sedan, not just for the extremely fanatical car enthusiasts who frequent this board (me being one of them).

We should be thankful for the resources we have in this forum. I visit the other boards and they are basically clueless as to what is going on. Justin and others don't owe us anything. They are on this forum because they love cars (Acuras in the case) just as much as we do.

Until Sept 1, we 'gotsta' chill!!!!!

Old 08-19-2003, 04:56 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok enough of the thank you Justin stuff...really. You guys don't need to thank me everytime. Im really just doing my job. It is my job to inform you of the products you may be interested in...which in turn will help in your buying process. And that's the bottom line.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:06 PM
Racer

Ok enough of the thank you Justin stuff...really. You guys don't need to thank me everytime. Im really just doing my job. It is my job to inform you of the products you may be interested in...which in turn will help in your buying process. And that's the bottom line.
At this point I'm looking forward to final specifications (dimensions, features, etc.) on September 1, and performance/driving impressions from enthusiast magazines within a couple of weeks after that. A test drive in early October will be the final input before I make my decision.

-r
Old 08-19-2003, 09:57 PM
Racer

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but did we ever come to a consensus on the cupholder issue -- will they be covered?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but did we ever come to a consensus on the cupholder issue -- will they be covered?
yes, of course
Old 08-19-2003, 10:11 PM
"But they're mine!"

Thanks justin.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:15 PM
Race Director

yes, of course
Good for thinking positive..

I thought it wouldn't be covered because my friend has a accord and the cup holders aren't covered, but I looked at the interior of the TSX and the cup holders are covered, so I am guessing the TL's cup holders will be covered, or else it will look GHEY!
Old 08-19-2003, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

we've already seen the stoppers, they will be covered
Old 08-20-2003, 12:23 AM
More On

Yeah, cupholders!

Reminds me, we really ought to give an extra bow to acura_driver:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...=9888#post9888
Old 08-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont
Yeah, cupholders!

Reminds me, we really ought to give an extra bow to acura_driver:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...=9888#post9888
I'd forgotten about that one... Yup, the ol' HPCH. Of course the HP implies that they are indeed covered. The material used for the cover is classified, and won't be revealed until September 1st.

Let's hope that isn't one of the new features that Justin has alluded to!

-r
Old 08-20-2003, 12:37 AM
Burning Brakes

HPCH use special hydraulics, and are voice activated.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:41 AM
More On

Hey, a_d, I think you have a fan club!
Old 08-20-2003, 12:42 AM
Racer

You were not supposed to say anything about that 'til September 1st!

-r
Old 08-20-2003, 06:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Aren't we still really guessing. Justing never gave the definitive yes, right?
Old 08-20-2003, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Aren't we still really guessing. Justing never gave the definitive yes, right?
about cupholders? We saw the stoppers in the pics, and it wouldn't make sense not to have covers.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

238 lbs torque...

Quick Reply: 2004TL actually going to have 275 HP!