2004TL actually going to have 275 HP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 01:59 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Huskerpick
Justin, I won't ask any specifics on MSRP, just one vague question. Will it be price competitive with the G35?
MSRP I have no clue.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RJC RSX
justin, can you comment further on workings of the R/D?

I'm actually not too disappointed with all these no's. Most of those things I wouldn't have expected, you guys have standards too high for an entry to mid-level lux sedan. I do wish they had taken greater advantage of bluetooh, though, and cylinder deactivation with adaptive cruise control would have been great for long road trips.
I am very happy with the features. I hope Acura stepped it up a notch with the trip computer.

Truly, if all of the features were the same as '03, with the new navigation system and ventilated seats, I would have bought the car with less horsepower and torque.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:07 PM
OG

justin, can you comment further on workings of the R/D?

I'm actually not too disappointed with all these no's. Most of those things I wouldn't have expected, you guys have standards too high for an entry to mid-level lux sedan. I do wish they had taken greater advantage of bluetooh, though, and cylinder deactivation with adaptive cruise control would have been great for long road trips.
This R/D seems to be different then the other ones I have gone to. Because this one is not held on any enclosed tracks. There are usually classes in the conference rms and hands on with the cars. We will probably be driving it through the local streets.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey Justin,
I know there is no smart keycard, but will there be and integrated key like in the accord? I hate that extra piece we have to carry for keyless entry. Do you know what features will be standard on the manual, but not available on the auto?

Thanks man
Old 08-16-2003, 02:59 PM
More On

I was hoping someone else would ask this, but:

SIZE? Most people seem to be assuming 189 to 190", which would be about 3" shorter than current TL. But our dudes' calculations, from the Seattle pics, indicated significantly smaller.

Whaddya say, Justin? Any definite impression? Or, better yet, data?
Old 08-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ya i was wonderin about size too.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
i have a comment ,based in part on the fact that we've been hearing the cars power numbers will be under rated ...im betting that isnt as accurate a statement as the car will be marketed to run on regular unleaded and will show power increases when exposed to premium like the accord
Old 08-16-2003, 03:25 PM
"But they're mine!"

Originally posted by typeR
i have a comment ,based in part on the fact that we've been hearing the cars power numbers will be under rated ...im betting that isnt as accurate a statement as the car will be marketed to run on regular unleaded and will show power increases when exposed to premium like the accord
what sort of increase does the Accord show w/ premium?
Old 08-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by ProZach
what sort of increase does the Accord show w/ premium?

Like +10 HP, From 240 to 250 HP
Old 08-16-2003, 03:46 PM
Race Director

anyways so its seems like this car is just another TL with not many new features, I thought this car was gonna be different?

But it seems like its a larger TSX with a V6..

I am so disappointed, I was caught up on features
Old 08-16-2003, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
dont get too disappointed yet ...i still believe the light at the end of the tunnel is the type S version 6 months out (guessing)
Old 08-16-2003, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I wish!

But if there is no sport suspension and 18" wheels, I think I will be going with the auto again.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by typeR
dont get too disappointed yet ...i still believe the light at the end of the tunnel is the type S version 6 months out (guessing)
Ya well I doubt there will be a Type-S Version in 6 months, I believe it will take at least 1-2 years..

Anyways if it was 6 months, it would be another 6 months we would have to wait!
Old 08-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

some guy on TOV said a type-s version wouldn't be out until 2007, at the end of the cycle.

More questions for justin:

1) Are there factory fogs?
2) How does the car's size appear compared to the current TL?
Old 08-16-2003, 04:28 PM
OG

For the finally time...there will no longer be any Type S models PERIOD. The only car to carry the Type S tag will be the RSX. Will there be other trims of the TL..i don't know. But the Type S packaging is a thing of the past. So stop looking for a Type S.

The car is larger in person than the pics. But its a BIT smaller than the current TL.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:32 PM
"But they're mine!"

Man, this might be enough to drive a bunch of people to Lexus or *Infiniti* Acura is becoming Sooooooo run of the mill, and now we are getting rid of any Type-S?!?! Man, a FWD car with not much more horsepower than a typical family sedan, and none of the features to differentiate it better. G35, here we come!!!
Old 08-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Race Director

One question justin, is the thread title under or over the rating?
Old 08-16-2003, 04:39 PM
OG

Originally posted by 2004TL
270Hp.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the HP number.

Have you disclosed the "new" feature that would wow us all that you mentioned a month or two back?
Old 08-16-2003, 04:53 PM
OG

What is it that you guys want? I don't understand. You are going to have a refined midsized touring sedan with power to spare. Standard feature list a mile long. Now all of a sudden because it doesn't have 300+HP and a few extras its just run of the mill? None of you have even driven it yet. Heck this car will probaby cost the same as a half loaded 325I. The only thing I like about the G35 is its power nothing else. The interior is CHEAP. I will turn in the G35 as soon as the TL hits the market.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:53 PM
OG

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Thanks for the HP number.

Have you disclosed the "new" feature that would wow us all that you mentioned a month or two back?
Sorry that wasn't me that said that.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by justinjsw
Sorry that wasn't me that said that.
Hmm, I wonder who said something about a great new feature. Guess I'll have to search.

Is there anything you can tell us about the trip computer. Will it be better than the one in the Accord/TSX? Will it calculate various service intervals? Will we have a tire pressure monitoring system?
Old 08-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

What is it that you guys want? I don't understand. You are going to have a refined midsized touring sedan with power to spare. Standard feature list a mile long.
I'm very happy with what's to come in the new TL. My only deal breakers is that it's a land barge like the current TL, and pricing is above $36,900 with Navi.

I can't wait for official specs and pricing!

Thanks Justin!

Old 08-16-2003, 05:00 PM
OG

Hmm, I wonder who said something about a great new feature. Guess I'll have to search.

Is there anything you can tell us about the trip computer. Will it be better than the one in the Accord/TSX? Will it calculate various service intervals? Will we have a tire pressure monitoring system?
You guys are so funny. If I could have mentioned it I would have wrote it. So for now I have to take the fifth.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:01 PM
OG

Originally posted by VtecMW
I'm very happy with what's to come in the new TL. My only deal breakers is that it's a land barge like the current TL, and pricing is above $36,900 with Navi.

I can't wait for official specs and pricing!

Thanks Justin!

Its not a barge. Its shorter with a longer wheel base.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

You guys are so funny. If I could have mentioned it I would have wrote it. So for now I have to take the fifth.

Hmmm, now my mind is going a mile a minute again.

Does this mean, there still may be a bombshell feature or spec. out there?

EDIT: I read the first 11 pages of the big thread and could not find it and was burned out from reading.

Do you remember dropping this bombshell?
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well since they can say it... I guess its ok for me too...I told provench this last month but ask him not to say anything...HPT...is a revised version of VTM-4/with a high performance package.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-16-2003, 05:31 PM
More On

Hmm, I wonder who said something about a great new feature. Guess I'll have to search......
It was "SCMav07". I think he was only on the old site.

I always thought it might have been an alias of one of our other regulars.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Race Director

Well I remember someone saying there is gonna be a new cool feature on the TL, something like the iDrive on the BMW..

He Said it was a feature like no other and he would not tell us about it..
Old 08-16-2003, 05:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

What about the integrated key? (not smart card)
Old 08-16-2003, 05:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is it that you guys want? I don't understand. You are going to have a refined midsized touring sedan with power to spare. Standard feature list a mile long. Now all of a sudden because it doesn't have 300+HP and a few extras its just run of the mill? None of you have even driven it yet. Heck this car will probaby cost the same as a half loaded 325I. The only thing I like about the G35 is its power nothing else. The interior is CHEAP. I will turn in the G35 as soon as the TL hits the market.
Justin, I think you are exactly right -- the TL is going to be a great car and a huge improvement over the current model. I believe the reason many are disappointed is because we've known for so long that the car is coming, but we've been told nothing. Because of the lack of info, rumor and speculation have run rampant over the past several weeks. Everyone was hoping for a host of new features, and many of those hopes have been crushed within a very narrow time frame. We've gone from a $35k sedan with AWD, a 3.5L i-VTEC V6 with 280+hp, adaptive cruise control, power everything, intelligent key, ventilated seats, etc. to a sedan with an evolutionary increase of 10hp over the TL-S and probably the same 3.2L displacement (w/ torque similar to the current TL-S), no power mirrors or tilt/telescoping, no adaptive cruise control , and no new "extras" that will push the envolope of the entry-level luxury class. So whereas we have been hoping through everything that the 2004 TL would be a revolutionary change for Acura, it has ended up being a very well-designed evolution of the TL-S. For us enthusiasts, this change is only disappointing in comparison to the high expectations we had. To be honest, I don't think Acura cares much about the enthusiast's opinions. 95% of the TL's audience will have no idea what was speculated on these forums over the past several weeks, and they will be able to see the car for what it is -- a welcome redesign of the current 2nd-generation TL. It's going to sell like crazy and Acura will be very happy.

I will admit, though... I'm going to keep my deposit on the TL for now, as I still think it's going to be the right car for me, but I'm much less enthusiastic than I was a few weeks ago. Price is now a much more important factor for me than it was a month ago, and I believe that it would be relatively easy for Infinti or Lexus to put up some serious competition to the TL w/ some relatively minor modifications to the G35 and IS300...

I don't mean to sound down on the car -- I still can't wait till October 6th. It's just hard not to be disappointed that some of our expectations, unrealistic as they may have been, will not come to be. And I have to say, we had some pretty crazy expectations (ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, AND intelligent key for less than $35k -- what were we smoking ).
Old 08-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 2004TL
notyper on TOV is saying actual hp will be about 283hp
Old 08-16-2003, 06:40 PM
OG

notyper on TOV is saying actual hp will be about 283hp
Doesn't matter what is said. What matters is what the factory says.

I have said this before can't have 50K worth of options in a sub 35K package. Acura is stupid they should have at least offer them as options. What you guys want sounds more like the 05RL to me. Maybe you should all wait a bit till next Spring.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Luck favors the ignorant.

Doesn't matter what is said. What matters is what the factory says.

I have said this before can't have 50K worth of options in a sub 35K package. Acura is stupid they should have at least offer them as options. What you guys want sounds more like the 05RL to me. Maybe you should all wait a bit till next Spring.
Amen.

As long as this car has the following I am going to be THRILLED buying a '04 TL.

Wish list:
Seven speaker Bose sound system with 6 CD changer.
Touch screen NAV with voice control.
250+ HP automatic with sequential (geartronic) shifting.
Seating area similar to the Accord EX class.
Full set of airbags (front, side and curtains).
And a body style that doesn't scream "DAMN this ugly!".

Anything else they add to that list for less than $35k is gravy and should be considered a gift.

Personally I can afford an Inifiti Q45 which has all these options people are expecting on the '04 TL. But I don't see a point in spending $55k for a new car.

I am curious how many of you out there that are wanting/demanding/begging for these extra options (adaptive cruise control, A/C vented seats, etc) are willing to spend $45k to $55k to get them?
Old 08-16-2003, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Skull One
Amen.

As long as this car has the following I am going to be THRILLED buying a '04 TL.

Wish list:

Anything else they add to that list for less than $35k is gravy and should be considered a gift.

Personally I can afford an Inifiti Q45 which has all these options people are expecting on the '04 TL. But I don't see a point in spending $55k for a new car.

I am curious how many of you out there that are wanting/demanding/begging for these extra options (adaptive cruise control, A/C vented seats, etc) are willing to spend $45k to $55k to get them?

I'm willing to spend $55K to get all those features.

I'd buy the Q45 in a heartbeat if it had Honda's navigation system.

Heck, I'd pay $55K for a Kia if it had Honda's Navigation system, Mercedes adaptive cruise control, and Corvette's head-up display.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Heck, I'd pay $55K for a Kia if it had Honda's Navigation system, Mercedes adaptive cruise control, and Corvette's head-up display.
I'd have to add Honda's reliability, and then consider buying a 55k Kia.

I do not understand this bickering going on though! Why are people saying that the feature list is too small, I mean if you want certain things you will have to fork over the dough, and then everyone will start complaining about a high price. Either way the TL will dominate in ITS price range. Sure its little gadgets may not be as refined as a beamer, BUT IT IS A BEAMER!!! No one is focusing on how good this will be for a great price. I also do not see the advantage of adaptive cruise control. I personally would rather have full control of my car, than relying on a computer to slow the car down if someone cuts you off.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Also, does anyone know if the Keys will be like the accord (integrated) or with the seperate remote control.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:39 PM
More On

Originally posted by weeeg
......Heck, I'd pay $55K for a Kia if it had Honda's Navigation system, Mercedes adaptive cruise control, and Corvette's head-up display.
Hey, whadda y'all think -- I think this dude needs to read our board some more or something!

BTW -- welcome, weeeg!
Old 08-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Heck, I'd pay $55K for a Kia if it had Honda's Navigation system, Mercedes adaptive cruise control, and Corvette's head-up display. [/B][/QUOTE]

What is so great about the navigation system - especially for someone who doesn't drive in unfamiliar places? I have never really examined one. I don't plan to use the car for travel. I drive mostly to and from work, errands, etc.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Skull One
Amen.

Wish list:

Not sure where you are getting you data, but you can get ventilated seats in the Saab 9-5 and Ford Expedition, both for sub 40k. I am not sure if the Saab has adaptive CC.

As for price, if the 04 TL had all the options the 03 has plus ventilated seats, power folding mirrors (Maxima) and power tilt-telescoping wheel (Maxima, old I30 and others) I would gladly take the bump to $40k.

The TL is an exceptional deal, but I wish Acura would step it up, slightly with the features listed in the previous paragraph. Again, I would gladly pay $40k for them. If I knew for sure the RL would have them, and be priced below $45k, I would seriously consider waiting!

As for the navigation system, that is one thing that kept me from buying the Volvo S60R. Honda's system is the best in the biz! The only other system I'd consider is Toyota's, but I cannot afford the LS430 with the equipment I want. BTW, it does offer ventilated seats and adaptive cruise control, among other things.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Emu, listen to yourself. You're saying ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, and a power steering wheel are worth 7-8K. Get real!

Quick Reply: 2004TL actually going to have 275 HP!