2004TL actually going to have 275 HP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 11:00 PM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RJC RSX
Emu, listen to yourself. You're saying ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, and a power steering wheel are worth 7-8K. Get real!
ventil. seats -- 4 dollars
power mirrors -- 6 dollars
power st. wheel -- 1 dollar
a car that feels right: You tell me.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a simple solution to all of these problems, and Justin alluded to it.... Offer more options!!

I could care less about adaptive cruise control myself (others would love the option of having it), but I'd like the power folding mirrors so I don't have to hold my breath each time I enter or exit the garage. When I move to warmer climates, it would be nice to have a ventilated seat option. Both a FWD trim and an AWD trim wouldn't be impossible -- it has served Audi very well w/ the A4 and it would allow for a more powerful engine with a larger displacement and greater torque. With options, you satisfy the people who want a base TL with standard entry-level luxury features, and you attract people craving more refined performance and luxury options (who are also, btw, willing to pay the inflated prices these items carry).

Everyone wins...
Old 08-16-2003, 11:15 PM
Intermediate

Well, I guess I may have to be a little late to work on 9/22 or 9/23. Dupont Country Club is about 10 minutes from me and actually is in Wilmington, DE, so the R/D should be easy to hit.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
As for the navigation system, that is one thing that kept me from buying the Volvo S60R. Honda's system is the best in the biz! The only other system I'd consider is Toyota's, but I cannot afford the LS430 with the equipment I want. BTW, it does offer ventilated seats and adaptive cruise control, among other things.

I borrowed my friend's 2003 LS430 for the day. I loved most aspects of the car, but the Nav system and the adaptive cruise control are the worst things ever!!! No one in the world is a bigger fan of Nav systems or adaptive cruise control than I am, but Lexus seriously needs to improve in a big way.

ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL:
Go test drive a new Mercedes or Jaguar or Infiniti and play with the adaptive cruise. It is very nice and works as expected. The one in the Lexus will rear-end the car in front of you anytime the road takes even a slight bend or turn. Wow, very dangerous. Also, if the car in front of you comes to a stop (even a very slow and gradual stop) the Lexus will rear end it 100% of the time. The Lexus system just plain shuts off at anything under about 40mph. The Infiniti will bring your car to a complete stop (even though their web site says otherwise).

NAVIGATION SYSTEM:
There is no excuse for how pathetic the yellow pages database is in the Lexus system. Try to look up any of your favorite businesses/stores/food places. There's a 90% chance that it won't be listed. Also, you can't look stuff up by phone number. Also, you can't do ANY FUNCTION while the vehicle is in motion. Even your passenger can't play with the system while the vehicle is in motion! Also, you can't tell it to display all nearby restaurants sorted by distance. In fact, you can't even just tell it to display all nearby restaurants at all. Plus, they FORCE you to use the touchscreen. Honda gives you the choice of touchscreen or joystick. If you're a nut about fingerprints on your screen, then you never have to touch the Honda screen at all.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:59 PM
Racer

Thanks much for the information Justin, I'm sure we all appreciate it.

For me, it sounds like the 04TL will have most of the features that I would like. Whether I buy one or not will come down to the performance and handling. If it exceeds my CL-S I'll be happy with it.

-r
Old 08-17-2003, 12:00 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by justinjsw
I can't release any of the specs right now...because I was warned not to. Big brother knows about our spy pics in seattle and all the other stuff we have been talking about on this site. Actually they brought up the topic about this site, I tried to keep my mouth shut. Sept 1st. will be D day when the embrago is lifted.

Hey since they know about the site... If everyone keeps complaining about the options you might just get them on an 05 TL...
Old 08-17-2003, 04:37 AM
Advanced

Thanks justin for the news.

But I'm gonna have to say that for now, I'm underwhelmed. What you guys are reacting to is exactly what I have been trying to say the past few weeks: (1) Acura/Honda is keeping things a little too secret too late in the game which leads to rampant speculation and ultimately disappointment (all to save sales of the old '03TL...doesn't seem worth it), (2) if Acura's direction is to go on the entry lux on the sporting side route, then the lack of an AWD/RWD model is not sporting enough for the true enthusiast, (3) If Acura's direction, on the otherhand, is to go on the lux side, not enough in the '04TL to justify a pure lux category, (4) Acura seems to be shooting for a niche that other competitors can more easily duplicate. BTW, what is '04TL's competition now? 330i? 325i? 530? E-Class or C-Class? G35? ES330 or IS300? It's muddled, but it looks like all those cars will be it's competitors. It's gonna eat into sales.

This also does not bode well for what the RL is going to be.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Emu, listen to yourself. You're saying ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, and a power steering wheel are worth 7-8K. Get real!
No, I am not saying these options cost 7-8k, but I am implying the TL is such a good deal, if it carried over everything from 03, plus the options we already know exist, plus my little list, I would be happy to plunk down $40k for that car.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

No, I am not saying these options cost 7-8k, but I am implying the TL is such a good deal, if it carried over everything from 03, plus the options we already know exist, plus my little list, I would be happy to plunk down $40k for that car.
I know what you said. You said you would be willing to pay 7-8K for ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, and a power steering wheel.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Correct. The car would still be a good value at $40k with those features.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:31 AM
More On

Originally posted by Gebbeth
......(4) Acura seems to be shooting for a niche that other competitors can more easily duplicate. BTW, what is '04TL's competition now? 330i? 325i? 530? E-Class or C-Class? G35? ES330 or IS300? It's muddled, but it looks like all those cars will be it's competitors. It's gonna eat into sales......
I don't know about that. It sounds like you're kind of saying it might be almost a one-of-a-kind -- which I agree -- which would be VERY HARD to duplicate, wouldn't it?

How would that affect sales? Could go either way.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Correct. The car would still be a good value at $40k with those features.
But ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, and a power steering wheel do NOT justify 7 or 8K.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:00 PM
Advanced

"I don't know about that. It sounds like you're kind of saying it might be almost a one-of-a-kind -- which I agree -- which would be VERY HARD to duplicate, wouldn't it?

How would that affect sales? Could go either way."

I'm saying just the opposite. It looks like the '04TL does not have anything that is going to wow anyone. Everything it has has been seen before. Also, it doesn't have what one would associate with either pure luxury or pure sport. I mean V6 at 270 is good, but everyone was talking about stepping up a notch above the competition, and 270 is not it. No AWD/RWD, again not for the sporting enthusiast. On the lux side, the only power anything seems to be the driver's seat. No other doodads that seem interesting thus far (unless justin still has some secrets....which by the way Acura, you secrecy is both annoying and useless and counterproductive at this point).

It just seems the TL is trying to be too cautious, afraid of loosing it's customer base. I understand that. But meanwhile, other car companies have made many strides beyond Acura in terms of performance, and the Europeans are stepping it up a notch with their new models on both the sport and luxury side. Take this with the news that Lexus will be offering both V-12 down to I4 engines, and here comes the word some of you guys are beginning to say....OPTIONS!!!!....other car companies are giving you OPTIONS. Sooner or later, the availability of those options from down low in the $280000 range up to the $70000 range is going to eat into Acura sales. We're seeing it already in every market except for NA for now (Nissan is the clear number two and creating some distance around the world....in Europe, arguable where sport and luxury are a premium, Honda sales are pretty weak). So NA is saving Honda for now.

I want to like the new TL. I want to see it and drive it. But the news thus far has been a little bland. Now, my hopes for really liking an Acura product and seeing them go in a direction that is really exciting rest on the RL. But again, I'm a little afraid of what I might hear.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:04 PM
"But they're mine!"

"I don't know about that. It sounds like you're kind of saying it might be almost a one-of-a-kind -- which I agree -- which would be VERY HARD to duplicate, wouldn't it?

How would that affect sales? Could go either way."

I'm saying just the opposite. It looks like the '04TL does not have anything that is going to wow anyone. Everything it has has been seen before. Also, it doesn't have what one would associate with either pure luxury or pure sport. I mean V6 at 270 is good, but everyone was talking about stepping up a notch above the competition, and 270 is not it. No AWD/RWD, again not for the sporting enthusiast. On the lux side, the only power anything seems to be the driver's seat. No other doodads that seem interesting thus far (unless justin still has some secrets....which by the way Acura, you secrecy is both annoying and useless and counterproductive at this point).

It just seems the TL is trying to be too cautious, afraid of loosing it's customer base. I understand that. But meanwhile, other car companies have made many strides beyond Acura in terms of performance, and the Europeans are stepping it up a notch with their new models on both the sport and luxury side. Take this with the news that Lexus will be offering both V-12 down to I4 engines, and here comes the word some of you guys are beginning to say....OPTIONS!!!!....other car companies are giving you OPTIONS. Sooner or later, the availability of those options from down low in the $280000 range up to the $70000 range is going to eat into Acura sales. We're seeing it already in every market except for NA for now (Nissan is the clear number two and creating some distance around the world....in Europe, arguable where sport and luxury are a premium, Honda sales are pretty weak). So NA is saving Honda for now.

I want to like the new TL. I want to see it and drive it. But the news thus far has been a little bland. Now, my hopes for really liking an Acura product and seeing them go in a direction that is really exciting rest on the RL. But again, I'm a little afraid of what I might hear.
I agree 100%
Old 08-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Has anyone once considered that the TL is Acura's best seller? Why tamper with a formula that works? A shorter car and more aggressive styling is a radical enough move for Acura. True, the TL may be no BWM 330/530, Infiniti or Lexus GS because of its FWD layout, but it's still a great value among its competitors, which really doesn't make Acura, or the TL, a loser in the grand scheme of things. We don't have to look far for an example, being that this is a TSX board.

I'm sure Honda has not ignored the fact that many of its competitors offer RWD cars. Obviously there isn't enough there to justify a shift to a RWD platform. I think the TSX and Realtime Racing Acura Integra help to reinforce that justification. Besides, why invest the R&D to develop RWD for maybe no more than 3 models? With the TSX, Accord, TL, MDX, Pilot, Odyssey and possily RL all sharing the same platform, I'm sure Honda is not hurting for profit from sales of these cars.

No car in this price range is perfect. Expecting perfection in the $30K price range is ridiculous. Look at the G35, great power, great value, but cheap interior. BMW 330, great across the board, but questionable reliability, pricey. Audi A4 3.0, same.

The new Accord Coupe has been compared to the Mercedes C-Class and did quite well considering that it was being compared against a bona fide luxury car that is nearly double its cost. I don't think there's any reason to believe that the TL won't compare equally as well, if not better in such comparisons. Let's not forget comparisons in its own segment.

The new TL has been pegged as an enthusiasts car, so it will be different than the current TL. It will also be an evolution of the current TL. Therefore, I would be very surprised if the car is a disappointment.

We'll know soon what the new TL is all about. I think all of the speculation, wish lists, no matter how ridiculous or reasonable they may be, has a lot of people thinking the TL will be a bust. If the new TL is reasonably priced, I personally would not mind if it comes without some of the bells and whistles not seen on most other cars in its class.

BTW, ventilated seats, power steering wheel and power folding mirrors would make the TL a bust at $7-8K extra. The only place this car would be going for that price is to the discontinued lot.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

The TL looks MEAN...they had one with a full body kit including a deck lid spoiler. HPT is just a tire option...no other extras. The rest you have to wait another couple of weeks...Im very sorry.
Justin, what are your thoughts on the body kit? Did it look excessive, or does it add a nice to the touch car? Same for the spoiler?

Sept. 1 is right around the corner. Can't wait!
Old 08-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Instructor

But ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, and a power steering wheel do NOT justify 7 or 8K.

What is it about the 2004 TL that makes it $7K or $8K better than a fully loaded 2004 Accord?
Old 08-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Luck favors the ignorant.

Originally posted by weeeg
What is it about the 2004 TL that makes it $7K or $8K better than a fully loaded 2004 Accord?
Funny that you should ask that. I asked the same question and test drove a '03 Accord V6 (fully loaded) and then a '03 Acura TL and TL Type S yesterday.

Things I hated about the Accord compared to the TL.
Sound system.
Road noise.
Lack of power.
Lack of sport shifting for the automatic.
Passenger seat had only 2 adjustments.
Over all interior quailty was cheaper looking.

Things I hated about the TL compared to the Accord.
Navigation system.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Instructor

2004 Accord vs. 2003 TL

Originally posted by Skull One
Funny that you should ask that. I asked the same question and test drove a '03 Accord V6 (fully loaded) and then a '03 Acura TL and TL Type S yesterday.

Things I hated about the Accord compared to the TL.
Sound system.
Road noise.
Lack of power.
Lack of sport shifting for the automatic.
Passenger seat had only 2 adjustments.
Over all interior quailty was cheaper looking.

Things I hated about the TL compared to the Accord.
Navigation system.
I'm sure the 2004 TL will get the voice activated Nav that the Accord has. I have NAV on my 2003 TLS and it is a good system but I imagine the next generation NAV on the Accord is much better and I can't think of any reason for Acura to stick with an older more antiquated system.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Luck favors the ignorant.

Re: 2004 Accord vs. 2003 TL

Originally posted by huskerfan
I'm sure the 2004 TL will get the voice activated Nav that the Accord has. I have NAV on my 2003 TLS and it is a good system but I imagine the next generation NAV on the Accord is much better and I can't think of any reason for Acura to stick with an older more antiquated system.
It has already been confirmed that the '04 TL will have a slightly better version of the '03 MDX's Nav system. One of the reasons I have a TL on order.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by weeeg
If you are talking about the EX-V6-Navi...

TL has a bigger engine with more horsepower
TL has a longer warranty
TL gives you a loaner car with service
Xenon headlights
Memory seats. 10 way power driver's seat
17" wheels
Rear adjustable climate control vents

I really wonder if you are talking about the EX-four cylinder model.

I cannot speak for the 04, but I have both the 03 Accord EX-V6-Navi and a TLS-Navi and the sticker price on the Accord was $28k and change. Assuming only a $400 increase on the Accord, what makes you think the new TL will be $36k to $37k?

True, but the TL would still be a steal at $38k - $40k with those options.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

True, but the TL would still be a steal at $38k - $40k with those options.
Maybe so, but Acura would loose a lot of money on it
Old 08-18-2003, 12:25 AM
Intermediate

[ I mean V6 at 270 is good, but everyone was talking about stepping up a notch above the competition, and 270 is not it. No AWD/RWD, again not for the sporting enthusiast.[/B]
Agreed. I for one am a performance first. Luxury second type of guy. I was hoping to see AWD with about 300 ponies. For around 40k or less. I think a lot of new buyers, such as myself, would have jumped on that car. I'll give the 04 TL a good look, but I think I'm now leaning toward the Volvo S60R, or the 400hp Caddy CTS-V. I do however think the 04 TL looks better than both of those.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Thanks

What is it that you guys want? I don't understand. You are going to have a refined midsized touring sedan with power to spare. Standard feature list a mile long. Now all of a sudden because it doesn't have 300+HP and a few extras its just run of the mill? None of you have even driven it yet. Heck this car will probaby cost the same as a half loaded 325I. The only thing I like about the G35 is its power nothing else. The interior is CHEAP. I will turn in the G35 as soon as the TL hits the market.
Justin - I know I speak for most of us when I say thank you for the info that you have provided and for keeping us updated as much as you can without going to far out on the limb.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by princed
Justin, I think you are exactly right -- the TL is going to be a great car and a huge improvement over the current model. I believe the reason many are disappointed is because we've known for so long that the car is coming, but we've been told nothing. Because of the lack of info, rumor and speculation have run rampant over the past several weeks. Everyone was hoping for a host of new features, and many of those hopes have been crushed within a very narrow time frame. We've gone from a $35k sedan with AWD, a 3.5L i-VTEC V6 with 280+hp, adaptive cruise control, power everything, intelligent key, ventilated seats, etc. to a sedan with an evolutionary increase of 10hp over the TL-S and probably the same 3.2L displacement (w/ torque similar to the current TL-S), no power mirrors or tilt/telescoping, no adaptive cruise control , and no new "extras" that will push the envolope of the entry-level luxury class. So whereas we have been hoping through everything that the 2004 TL would be a revolutionary change for Acura, it has ended up being a very well-designed evolution of the TL-S. For us enthusiasts, this change is only disappointing in comparison to the high expectations we had. To be honest, I don't think Acura cares much about the enthusiast's opinions. 95% of the TL's audience will have no idea what was speculated on these forums over the past several weeks, and they will be able to see the car for what it is -- a welcome redesign of the current 2nd-generation TL. It's going to sell like crazy and Acura will be very happy.

I will admit, though... I'm going to keep my deposit on the TL for now, as I still think it's going to be the right car for me, but I'm much less enthusiastic than I was a few weeks ago. Price is now a much more important factor for me than it was a month ago, and I believe that it would be relatively easy for Infinti or Lexus to put up some serious competition to the TL w/ some relatively minor modifications to the G35 and IS300...

I don't mean to sound down on the car -- I still can't wait till October 6th. It's just hard not to be disappointed that some of our expectations, unrealistic as they may have been, will not come to be. And I have to say, we had some pretty crazy expectations (ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, AND intelligent key for less than $35k -- what were we smoking ).
Well said!!! I could not agree more!
Old 08-18-2003, 10:33 AM
More On

People thinking the new TL was gonna be revolutionary rather than evolutionary, I think, had less to do with that stuff than with the thought that it was really gonna be a driver's car.

I mean, the current TL sort of is, depending on what you compare it to. But somehow the feeling got going that this was gonna be a lot different, and it was really gonna be. I didn't see how, for the simple reason that if it was really gonna be that much different they'd be re-naming it. I just didn't think Honda/Acura could be that stupid to make such a big mistake, which is what it would be.

Maybe it will really be, we still don't really know. No matter what Justin might have told us or what the factoids might have been, we won't know until we get our hands on it.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:34 PM
Instructor

What is it that you guys want? I don't understand. You are going to have a refined midsized touring sedan with power to spare. Standard feature list a mile long. Now all of a sudden because it doesn't have 300+HP and a few extras its just run of the mill? None of you have even driven it yet. Heck this car will probaby cost the same as a half loaded 325I. The only thing I like about the G35 is its power nothing else. The interior is CHEAP. I will turn in the G35 as soon as the TL hits the market.
Amen, brother. Some people are just never satisfied.

Can I go ahead and put a deposit down on my '05 RL that has 350hp, AWD, every imaginable convenience/luxury/technology doo-dad that anyone even thought would be conceivable in a car, gets 30+ mpg in town and...oh yeah...seats five comfortably but then shrinks to the size of a MINI for parking...all for $15K? That would be great...
Maybe until then I could borrow a kick-ass '04 TL...all stock?

Come on guys, dreaming is fun in concept stage but we're less than 60 days from launch. It's time to pull your heads out and appreciate the reality of this (potentially) great car.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by planman

Can I go ahead and put a deposit down on my '05 RL that has 350hp, AWD, every imaginable convenience/luxury/technology doo-dad that anyone even thought would be conceivable in a car, gets 30+ mpg in town and...oh yeah...seats five comfortably but then shrinks to the size of a MINI for parking...all for $15K? That would be great...

Come on guys, dreaming is fun in concept stage but we're less than 60 days from launch. It's time to pull your heads out and appreciate the reality of this (potentially) great car.
Well put, but if the RL will definitely have ventilated seats, I may wait.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Well put, but if the RL will definitely have ventilated seats, I may wait.
Emu, I think you may need to seek professional help to explore your fixation on ventilated seats. Was there something in your childhood that makes you yearn for cool air flowing over your hind quarters?

Just kidding... As a native Texan whose father now drives an LS430 with ventilated seats, I understand completely. It's just one of those things that once you've experienced it you don't want to live without it in a hot climate.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Why Some are disappointed

I currently own a 2003 TLS (My wife's car) and it is a great car. I think the main reason that so many on this forum are getting disappointed is because the 2004 TL was advertised as a complete redesign. Other than the sheet metal, most of the major changes are to the electronics and some other items that you would expect to be upgraded because they are already on other AHM models (e.g., the upgraded NAV, Side curtain airbags, etc). The XM radio costs $10/month and I think the DVD 5.1 Audio only has a limited amount of selections at this time. (Granted, more will become available over time.) Bluetooth is fine but I have to see how much better it is than a regular hands free setup for a car. The 2003 TLS has 260hp, 232 FT/LBS torque, VSA, and a sport suspension. Since we are told the 2004 TL will have only a minor increase in HP and very little increase in torque, we can only hope it will have the same or better performance that the 2003 TLS. However, I am afraid that since there won't be a type S, the 2004 TL may be more like the base 2003 TL and not have the performance enhancements of the Type "S". Remember Acura will be marketing this car to a great many people who want an entry level LUXURY car and not necessarily to the performance addicts who frequent this forum. I hope I am wrong and am surprised because I really want a 2004 TL of my own. I don't get to drive my wife's enough.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Why Some are disappointed

Originally posted by huskerfan
I currently own a 2003 TLS (My wife's car) and it is a great car. I think the main reason that so many on this forum are getting disappointed is because the 2004 TL was advertised as a complete redesign. Other than the sheet metal, most of the major changes are to the electronics and some other items that you would expect to be upgraded because they are already on other AHM models (e.g., the upgraded NAV, Side curtain airbags, etc). The XM radio costs $10/month and I think the DVD 5.1 Audio only has a limited amount of selections at this time. (Granted, more will become available over time.) Bluetooth is fine but I have to see how much better it is than a regular hands free setup for a car. The 2003 TLS has 260hp, 232 FT/LBS torque, VSA, and a sport suspension. Since we are told the 2004 TL will have only a minor increase in HP and very little increase in torque, we can only hope it will have the same or better performance that the 2003 TLS. However, I am afraid that since there won't be a type S, the 2004 TL may be more like the base 2003 TL and not have the performance enhancements of the Type "S". Remember Acura will be marketing this car to a great many people who want an entry level LUXURY car and not necessarily to the performance addicts who frequent this forum. I hope I am wrong and am surprised because I really want a 2004 TL of my own. I don't get to drive my wife's enough.
There's a 6sp for a reason you know
Old 08-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Airdog
Justin - I know I speak for most of us when I say thank you for the info that you have provided and for keeping us updated as much as you can without going to far out on the limb.
I second that!
Old 08-18-2003, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Emu, I think you may need to seek professional help to explore your fixation on ventilated seats. Was there something in your childhood that makes you yearn for cool air flowing over your hind quarters?
LOL!
Old 08-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

So 13 pages later, I finally got to the end of this thread. That took forever.

Justin - your work is greatly appreciated. I don't think that people really respect what we say sometimes, but you've got more info than me right now on this car. I hate when you're words are taken for granted. People do need to lighten up when it comes to these stupid features that they think are so important (adaptive cruise control, ventilated seats, and power tilting mirrors).

You guys need to lighten up on Justin. He and I may work for Acura dealers, but we aren't going to sit here and justify where some of the features are included or left out. We just can't do it. As for getting the other specs on the car, just wait until they lift our embargo on this on 9/1. Then we'll spill our guts. Until that time, we aren't going to risk our jobs to post up some info that people can wait a couple days to get. It's not like you can go into a dealer and check out the car yet anyway. This is turning into what the TSX sites were earlier this year. You all remember how much speculation there was back then and how much of it was worth all the worrying? When we get the official info, this can all resume. Just be patient and kind. All will be revealed in the very near future.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

The TL mini site on www.acura.com will go live on 9/4th.
9/1 or 9/4 ??
Old 08-18-2003, 08:50 PM
Racer

Originally posted by kurt_bradley
So 13 pages later, I finally got to the end of this thread. That took forever.

Justin - your work is greatly appreciated. I don't think that people really respect what we say sometimes, but you've got more info than me right now on this car. I hate when you're words are taken for granted. People do need to lighten up when it comes to these stupid features that they think are so important (adaptive cruise control, ventilated seats, and power tilting mirrors).

You guys need to lighten up on Justin.
I can't recall one post where someone has attacked or disrespected Justin -- in fact, I think EVERYONE greatly appreciates the incredible devotion he's shown to getting info for this community. It's just that some people are not so excited about the content of what has been revealed (which I feel is understandable, as everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion)...

And these little things do matter. I think the G35 is a nice-looking car on the outside with an okay interior, but I don't like the horrible amber lighting or the fact that the nav has no touch screen, voice-activation, or ability to adjust while driving. It's incredibly fun to drive, though. Similarly, I think the A4 3.0 is a beautiful car, inside and out, and it is also a blast to drive and has a great AWD option. Unfortunately, the navigation system is horrific. Little things mattered in my decision not to purchase either of those cars and led to me putting down a deposit on the TL. Ventilated seats may cause Emu to wait another 6 months and pay 10k more for the 05 RL.

And just because not everything said here is positive and there is a thirst for more info, it does not mean that people are personally attacking you or Justin. Unfortunately, Acura feels the need to hide the details of the car, yet there are TWO allocations given to dealers before the Sept. 1 press embargo expires. I'm sure there are people reading these forums trying to decide whether they want to get in on the 8/25 allocation. By waiting till September 1st to get info and make an informed decision, one may potentially have to wait until December to get a TL w/ the color/trim of his/her choice.

I am very impatient for the 9/1 deadline to expire, as I unfortunately don't have the leisure of waiting. I will have to rent a car while I wait for my TL, and so I am anxious to determine whether it is going to "fit" me -- I can't wait around and then find out on 10/6 that I hate the car and then wait longer to get an 04 G35 or A4. As long as the car is priced right with the acceleration "feel" of the 03 accord coupe EX v6 6mt and handling similar to the TSX, I'll be overjoyed. But I undestand the frustration some other members have voiced, and I feel that people shouldn't dismiss their concerns as "little" or "stupid," as everyone weighs these factors differently...
Old 08-18-2003, 08:53 PM
Racer

9/1 or 9/4 ??
I believe Justin originally said the site would go up during the week of 9/1. Then, after he returned from Torrance, he said the site would be up on 9/4. So, the new data is just more specific...
Old 08-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Just kidding... As a native Texan whose father now drives an LS430 with ventilated seats, I understand completely. It's just one of those things that once you've experienced it you don't want to live without it in a hot climate.
Nah, nothing from my childhood. It has been at or near 100 with outrageous humidity lately and I am tired of my back and legs sweating.

I was in a Saab 9-5 a few years ago and knew I needed to get this feature.

Thanks again for saying how great ventilated seats are. If I can get confirmation within the first few weeks of the TL's release, I will wait for the RL.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Why Some are disappointed

There's a 6sp for a reason you know
I do most of my driving in and around San Antonio. A 6sp is fine for some of you guys, but it's not for me or my wife. My point is that I have a 2003 TLS that is an 5sp automatic and I love it. I can put it in drive around town and shift it when I want to. If the 2004 5sp Auto is not performance equipped the way the 2003 TLS is, I feel I am going backwards despite the small increase in HP.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:39 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
A couple of things...the current TL will not drive like the new TL because the platforms are different. The 03TL was based off the old Accord platform and the 04 will be based off the largest of the new Accord platforms.

What is already confirmed on the 04TL that's not on the 03...
Surround sound
Bluetooth
voice act/Nav
Projector beam Xenons
Curtain airbags
10 way power seat/driver
Dual zone air
manual transmission
LED gauges
XM radio
270HP
and a couple more things you guys don't know about yet,
just another week or so and we are there.

My calender at the time said week of 9/1 now its my understanding it will go live on 9/4.

Kurt there's no need to defend me...but thanks...everybody here is cool...it's never personal. I just like to keep the community informed that's all. I can't be correct all the time...but oh well.

Quick Reply: 2004TL actually going to have 275 HP!