for you avic D3 owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:06 AM
SANJOCL

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
for you avic D3 owners

so anyway i tried to search this on google, on the avic411.com forums, on these forums and various other places but have not found a straight answer.

i just got a d3 but have not yet been able to use the full capabilities of this unit. so here are a few questions...

1. are any of you guys able to play divx on your player? and if you are, what procedure are you using and what software. ive already wasted a few dvds trying to get it to work but nothing has done the trick. i currently have divx 6.8 or whatever the lastest one is installed in my computer. im also using nero 7 to burn.

2. i have the classic ipod video (the newer one) and have not been able to play movies on it. is anyone else having this prob?

i was thinking of posting on the avic forums but im pretty loyal to this forum site and i noticed that a few of you have avic d3s as well.

thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did you bypass it? i never tried divx since i use my ipod to store movies

i have the 5th gen ipod (pervious to the new classic) it works well.

bypass u just need to move the mute wire (yellow i recall) to the one above it, use something sharpe to carefully pry the adapter's plastic, turn it 180 deg and insert.

then you ground the ground, mute, and one more wire which i can't recall.

PM me i'll find you the link to the pictures, but its on avic411

and if u haven't noticed, if u input directions for something, u can pop the map dvd out and it'll still give u directions... as long as u input it before u pop it out.

good luck
Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 AM
SANJOCL

ive down all the bypass stuff

i just need to know how to play divx. im not quite sure what i use to be able to play the avi files that i know are divx.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The divx playback is going to have everything to do with how the files are encoded, not burned. As far as burning, you just burn them straight to any disc as data. No conversion necessary.

I use the current xvid-alpha from sourceforge for all my encoding, and ffdshow for playback on my PC. Uninstall any other divx crap you might have (especially any "official" divx... which is all bullshit); this is all you need and a far superior package.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
None of the newer iPods will play video other than on the iPod itself. If you had an older iPod it would play video on your D3 just fine.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Another reason to stick to my 5.5G iPod!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:16 PM
SANJOCL

Originally Posted by Reach
The divx playback is going to have everything to do with how the files are encoded, not burned. As far as burning, you just burn them straight to any disc as data. No conversion necessary.

I use the current xvid-alpha from sourceforge for all my encoding, and ffdshow for playback on my PC. Uninstall any other divx crap you might have (especially any "official" divx... which is all bullshit); this is all you need and a far superior package.

GAAADDDD thank you. thats what i was looking for. hahah. anyway so for this xvid-alpha thing, i went on source forge and did a search for that version of xvid but didnt come up with anything under xvid-alpha. do you have a link i can download from?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/
http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.15.0.html
Old 04-17-2008, 10:57 PM
SANJOCL

reach what is virtualdubmod. do i need it?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:06 PM
SANJOCL

sorry for the double post but how do i encode my avi's to xvid. sorry ive never used xvid before to convert
Old 04-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Sounds like you need to do some googling, just to make sure you understand what you're working with here.

AVI is a container. It stands for audio / video interleave. The streams inside the container can be of a number of difference types, depending on how they are encoded. The video can be any mpeg4 format, like divx, xvid, mjpeg, and others. The audio stream can also be a number of formats, including MP3, AC3, OGG, WAV, etc. The header information in the avi tells the player how to handle the streams, like what their sync is, which codecs to use to decode the streams, and more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVI

xvid is a video compression codec, or a way of converting raw MP2 streams into compressed MP4 streams. xvid is widely used for its compatibility with a number of other legacy compression formats.

virtuldub (or vdub) and its cousin, vdubmod (which I linked to above) are editing and encoding studios, that allow you to take your raw streams, and create interleaves (AVIs) out of them. vdubmod is not the most user friendly of the solutions, but it is still the best, imo. Basically you write a small script that tells it where the source streams are, what to do with them, and how you would like your interleave packaged.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
SANJOCL

ah gotcha. yeah i googled until like 2 in the morning trying to figure it out. hahaha. i got the gist of it. i mean i now know what xvid and divx are in detail. i just find this way too tedious dont you think? i read somewhere that most standalone players only like dx50 so i spent a hell of a time prior to this post trying to find a copy of dx50. but even that didnt work for me.

so i just told myself forget it hahaha. im just gonna buy a carputer. lol. nah i wont im really gonna figure this out. i see some people on this message board use avs video converter.