XM Commander in "not an ashtray"

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Commander in "not an ashtray"

I liked BassMechanic's install so much that I decided to do it myself. I got too excited to get the thing done that I didn't stop and take too many pics but here are a few. I ended up mounting the FM modulator box underneath the stock amp....it was a tight squeeze. I did mine a slightly different method. BassMechanic left the door alone and recessed the unit back into the cubby hole so the door would close. I mounted mine fairly flush and just ground down the hump that's on the back side of the door. The door is still fully functional and I think it turned out pretty good. I definitely learned a few things along the way and could do it better the 2nd time around. If anyone else is thinking of doing this same install please feel free to ask me all the questions you like.
Here are a few of the pics....

Old 02-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

eww you should have finished it off to hide all thoes gaps on the top.
otherwise it looks good. im suprised the cover still closes with it that high.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:41 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice. I want to do something like that but...

1. I can't lose the extra power outlet. I need it for my PDA charging.

2. I'm hesitant to lose the storage space of the slot above the "not an ashtray."

3. I don't trust Circuit City or Best Buy to do the job correctly.

4. I am leery of spending big money on a real shop to do the job correctly.

5. I am not sure I need XM altough I do like it from my one experience with it.

My 0.02.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:58 AM
6MT Snob

I think it looks nice..

Cept F you cuz now I have HEYYYY YAHHHHH stuck in my head!!!!
Old 02-17-2004, 07:56 AM
Cruisin'

quote "Cept F you cuz now I have HEYYYY YAHHHHH stuck in my head!!!!"

Darn it, now I got it in my head too!

BASSMECHANIC -
Yeah, eventually I want to make something to cover up the gap near the top but you really can't ever see it because there's a shadow from the door cover. You can only see it in this picture because I took the pic from a low angle and also because of the flash. Maybe I can get a good pic during the day w/out the flash to illustrate. But either way, you're right, I do eventually want to 'finish' it by fabricating something for the top.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Where does the XM antenna go? Can you take a picture of it and post it? Looks pretty nice, takes a lot of guts to rip into a $25,000+ automobile.......BTW, from the pictures, you don't have Navigation, I wonder if that would make a difference.....
Old 02-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Cruisin'

Make a difference in what? I doubt it. I put the antenna on the rear seat lock. You know, on the inside back deck where you turn the key to open the back seats to the trunk? Even with the windows tinted 35% the antenna still picks up a signal just fine.....so far.
The antenna has a magnetic bottom so when you need to use the keyhole you can just pull the antenna off to access the lock cylinder and put it back when you are done. I routed the wire along the back edge of the seat, down to the door trim on the floorboard along the driver side, then up above the steering column and into the center console.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Without doing too much more work, you can mount your antenna on the roof, run the wires down the channels for the rear-windshield, and go through the rubber into the trunk. Worked for me, and you get better reception than leaving it in the rear deck.

For people that are weary of taking pieces apart in their car. It's just a few pieces of plastic. Don't be too afraid to take off a panel here or there. You'd be surprised how easy it is to take off/put back as long as you're careful. Don't be afraid to install!
Old 02-17-2004, 10:59 AM
6MT Snob

Oh and thanks for the first pic, now i know where my hood release is (just had my car for 200 mi)
Old 02-17-2004, 11:02 AM
Do I Make You Horny?

OMG! that is clean as hell!

i love it!

what about at night, what color are the buttons? green? does it match at all?
Old 02-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

Can't remember the color of the buttons but it's almost like this thing was made for the TSX. It matches perfectly!
Old 02-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

you need to mount the antenna on the trunk lid or the roof. where you have it you will get a lot of dropouts. i tried it there and it sucked. where i have it now on my trunk lid even overpasses wont cut the signal.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Cruisin'

Hmmm, I wonder why such different results? Are your windows tinted? We just had some pretty nasty weather come thru Houston and still had no problems getting reception. I can always still mount it to the trunk lid though if it becomes a problem.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:55 PM
10th Gear

I had a family member buy me the Sirius Audiovox package with dock for home and car however after reviewing BM's previous posts I exchanged it for the XM Commander. I really wanted to go for more of a stock/professional look. Since the install was already paid for as part of the gift I had CC do it however they used the storage space over the "Not An Ashtray" compartment.
In hindsite I think I prefer where it is as I find myself playing with it too much on the road and if it were in the lower compartment I'd have to look down even further.

After the install I did develop a rattle coming from the "Not An Ashtray" compartment which CC promptly fixed (they left out 4 screws when putting it back together. Overall I'm pretty happy with the install. Looks great and I can still close the cover if I don't feel like looking at it. I find I still have more than enough storage in the center armrest compartment.

The antenna is mounted outside on the rear deck and as it's very small it really is unobtrusive.

After doing a bit more reading (thankfully to BM and his experience) I now want to upgrade and direct connect to the Aux function rather than the FM modulator install. The sound is a bit muddy and I'm hoping that will improve fidelity. Additionally, I do get a bit of engine whine and get frustrated with the low output. With that said I need to look into the SNHOND adaptor, a line driver to boost the sound, and a GLI.
As I'm electrically challenged I'll need to see about having it done. Would CC do this kind of work or do I need to seek out another Car Audio shop? Do audio shops normally carry these specific items or would I need to place some orders for the parts and see if the shop will do the work for me?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And again thanks Bass and Tshort for sharing your installs.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TampaTSX
I had a family member buy me the Sirius Audiovox package with dock for home and car however after reviewing BM's previous posts I exchanged it for the XM Commander. I really wanted to go for more of a stock/professional look. Since the install was already paid for as part of the gift I had CC do it however they used the storage space over the "Not An Ashtray" compartment.
In hindsite I think I prefer where it is as I find myself playing with it too much on the road and if it were in the lower compartment I'd have to look down even further.

After the install I did develop a rattle coming from the "Not An Ashtray" compartment which CC promptly fixed (they left out 4 screws when putting it back together. Overall I'm pretty happy with the install. Looks great and I can still close the cover if I don't feel like looking at it. I find I still have more than enough storage in the center armrest compartment.

The antenna is mounted outside on the rear deck and as it's very small it really is unobtrusive.

After doing a bit more reading (thankfully to BM and his experience) I now want to upgrade and direct connect to the Aux function rather than the FM modulator install. The sound is a bit muddy and I'm hoping that will improve fidelity. Additionally, I do get a bit of engine whine and get frustrated with the low output. With that said I need to look into the SNHOND adaptor, a line driver to boost the sound, and a GLI.
As I'm electrically challenged I'll need to see about having it done. Would CC do this kind of work or do I need to seek out another Car Audio shop? Do audio shops normally carry these specific items or would I need to place some orders for the parts and see if the shop will do the work for me?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And again thanks Bass and Tshort for sharing your installs.
[/QUOTE

hey if you want a line driver better let me know asap. im ordering 3 tomorrow. i finally got money from all 3 people asking and if you want one let me know before i place the order ill add in another for you. if you want ill do the whole install for you if you send me the parts. im already doing one for another guy and possibly another from people on this board. ill do the install clean like i did mine with no gaps or anything around the faceplate.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TShort
Hmmm, I wonder why such different results? Are your windows tinted? We just had some pretty nasty weather come thru Houston and still had no problems getting reception. I can always still mount it to the trunk lid though if it becomes a problem.
yes glass tinted but it has nothing to do with tint, it has everything to do with the fact that XM uses 2 satellites. if the antenna is inside the car it essentially looks out from the mouth of a cave because it the metal on top and to the sides of the antenna. the antenna needs to have a direct shot of the sky in all 360 degrees. if you drive through areas with buildings or anything ir size it blocks 1 if not both satellites
Old 02-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Cruisin'

I wonder if global location has a fairly big factor too? I'll keep you guys updated on how well the reception is with the antenna inside the back deck.

BTW, Bass Mechanic, how much $ are these line drivers? And what size are they, how do they hook up? Do you have any pictures of one? I'm probably interested.
Thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

I wonder if global location has a fairly big factor too? I'll keep you guys updated on how well the reception is with the antenna inside the back deck.

BTW, Bass Mechanic, how much $ are these line drivers? And what size are they, how do they hook up? Do you have any pictures of one? I'm probably interested.
Thanks.
30 + 8 shipping they are about .75"x1.25"x3.5" and have input on 1 end, output on the other end and 2 gain controls that have removable adjustment knobs.
you can stick it anywhere, mine sits behind the wires and in front of the heater box just behind the removable upper compartment.
power and ground connections and they will boost the signal to 4 volts. that is enough to distort the input of the HU, you need to adjust them to a proper level.
it will prevent you from having to turn the HU up to 40 on the volume to hear it clearly.
i dont know if it will help you, didnt you use FM modulator?
you need to be hard wired direct using a snhond3 to use it.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah, currently I'm using the FM modulator. Can you also get the SNHOND3 and do a group group purchase? I assume that the line driver uses rca's for input and output?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, currently I'm using the FM modulator. Can you also get the SNHOND3 and do a group group purchase? I assume that the line driver uses rca's for input and output?
no group buy on the adapter, you will have to take that one like a man on your own.
as for the rca's yes using the adapter and line driver uses rcas all the way through.,
Old 02-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Do I Make You Horny?

is it possible to have the avelectronics kit for dvd....and a direct xm?

or, only way to have xm w/dvd is fm modulated......

just curious. anyone know?