would this changer work with stock headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 11:29 PM
Jax
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would this changer work with stock headunit?

since every kind of CDR's i use dont work well or take really long to load up, i decided i was going to get a changer but my friend had this old clarion changer lying around and i was wondering if it would work with the stock headunit.. in a 2000 TL.. does anyone know if it would work? heres a link to the changer.. thanks for the help
http://www.energenix.com/clarion-cdc1235.html
Old 12-18-2002, 01:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe someone in this forums mentioned that Alpine CHA-S634 actuall works with the stock HU with very little modification. The stock HU can even control the changer and it plays MP3s as well. !!!

Check out the specs here :

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...HAS634&o=m&a=0

Cheers !!!
Old 12-18-2002, 11:09 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends on the adapter you buy, but it's possible to connect a changer other than alpine.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Instructor

JAX,
I'm selling an adaptor that will work with that changer. It also has RCA aux inputs. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:01 PM
Cruisin'

I just purchased a jvc changer works with my factory head unit with the fm mod controller but, the only problem not as loud as the factory head unit the stereo shop says that normal because the changer is program off a weaker radio station are there any type of adapters i can use to have a straight connection to the head unit for a better sound.should I go to the dealership and buy a 500.00 cd changer or just replace the whole system the stereo shop also told me I couldn.t replace the factory speakers with aftermarket speakers unless i change the head unit. Whats my best bet
Old 12-21-2002, 11:10 PM
Instructor

What year are your TLs. I have a '02 and wondering whether I the stock unit control another changer; (External) like the '99s.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by eric
I just purchased a jvc changer works with my factory head unit with the fm mod controller but, the only problem not as loud as the factory head unit the stereo shop says that normal because the changer is program off a weaker radio station are there any type of adapters i can use to have a straight connection to the head unit for a better sound.should I go to the dealership and buy a 500.00 cd changer or just replace the whole system the stereo shop also told me I couldn.t replace the factory speakers with aftermarket speakers unless i change the head unit. Whats my best bet
Using an FM transmitted connection to an existing head unit is a very convenient solution, but it has a major drawback:

You lose a great deal of the sound quality of CD audio. The frequency response and dynamic range are both seriously throttled by the conversion to FM. I'm not sure how good the factory changer is, but it would almost certainly be the most convenient and might be the most compatible.

Also, I don't hold a lot of faith in the stereo shop's advice that you couldn't replace the factory speakers without changing the head unit.

There's nothing magical about the factory speakers. Just try to find out what the efficiency level is for your factory speakers and pick an aftermarket replacement with the same or higher efficiency. If you pick speakers with a lower efficiency, you'll lose a lot of volume: given the same output voltage from the amp, speakers that have an efficiency of 92 db will sound twice as loud as a speaker with 89dB of efficiency.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:44 PM
Instructor

About Aftermarket changers

There are several changers that will work with the stock headunit controls, but not by itself. You need an adaptor. However, an adaptor with an aftermarket changer is still a lot cheaper than getting a factory changer for $500! There are adaptors for Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, etc. If you want to go with Clarion, I do have an adaptor that includes RCA Aux inputs, to hook up an mp3 player or dvd audio

BTW, it's recommended to upgrade the entire system if it's a BOSE, because of things such as the crappy equalizer, and 1ohm speaker loads...are they still 1ohm?