Wire Diagram for VSA switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wire Diagram for VSA switch

I need to run a signal wire to my amp and thought I could use the VSA switch to hook up this wire to. Anyone have the diagram to this switch. Also can this be used as a signal switch for an amp? I really dont feel like taking apart my center console to get to the 12v adapters. If not are there any other wires that could be used that dont take a lot of assembly to get to.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

Do you mean using the VSA switch at the same time? I don't really get it, cause you don't want your VSA off every time your amp is off, and vice versa do you??

If you're thinking of adding a VSA switch to blend in well, like e_lectro did, its much more complicated than taking apart your console to get to the remote turn on, because the switch is a momentary switch, not latching, and you have to use a set of relays to get it to work. Plus, the switch is about $30.

As for using whether or not you could tap the VSA as a remote turn on...I doubt it, as it probably only has power when the engine is running and for an amp you'd want it on when the radio is on (key in ACC pos.). Plus the fact that its a momentary switch...just don't think it would work...
Old 08-15-2004, 11:20 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brooks
I need to run a signal wire to my amp
The signal wires come from the head unit... do you mean a remote turn-on wire?

Also can this be used as a signal switch for an amp?
As Dorrington points out, you shouldn't use your VSA switch for that... but perhaps you are talking about adding a second VSA switch. But, since this switch is a momentary, not a toggle, it won't work for you without some fancy circuit-making that I would not recommend to you.

I really dont feel like taking apart my center console to get to the 12v adapters.
What 12V adapters? What do you mean? Do you mean the 12V remote turn on wire in the center console? Dude, that wire is stupid-simple to get to, and the center console is the simplest disassembly on the entire car!

Why re-invent the wheel? Pull the two pockets and the console panel, tap the wire, and have your amp turn on and off automatically!
Old 08-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

As noted the VSA switch is not the best choice. I have an RSX fog light switch waiting for my at the dealership, which I was going to use for my harnesses. I ended up selling my harnesses, so now I have a left over switch, which I'm not entirely sure fits our button panel.

The good thing about the RSX fog, is its a permenant switch and only toggles, so its perfect for on/off applications.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:32 AM
Racer

I got to the 12v power outlet under the center armrest. From reading previous posts it looked like it was going to be a tough time getting that center piece off around the cupholders and shifter but it took less than 5 mins and I had everything out. I printed out the instructions for the OEM XM satelite setup, those were very helpful with the clips. Thanks all for the help.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:29 AM
VP Electricity

For what? Are you using ACC as the turn-on lead? (Still not sure what you need)

Why didn't you use the signal-sensing turn-on switch on your amp?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

just out of curiosity: isn't a "remote turn-on lead" just a fancy car stereo term for ACC? I think the remote turn on just triggers a relay w/in the amp...
Old 08-16-2004, 12:36 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by dorrington
just out of curiosity: isn't a "remote turn-on lead" just a fancy car stereo term for ACC? I think the remote turn on just triggers a relay w/in the amp...
No, it is a wire that turns on (goes to 12V) when the head unit is on. There is no relay in the amp, it's all transistorized. The idea is to control turn-on thump through timing...