whine/hum in my tweeters... needs shielding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whine/hum in my tweeters... needs shielding?

Here's my story: Since I upgraded my sound system a month or so ago, I've noticed that I have a noise coming out of my tweeters under acceleration only that can best be described as near alternator whine. I imagine its electrical interference from the alternator or another engine part, as it only happens which I'm on the gas, and increases with rpm range, and is stereo-input independent. Even when the volume is on zero, I can hear it.

My best guess is it is getting into the tweeters (I believe the noise is only coming from the tweeters) because I had to cut the wires for them and make manual soldered connections for the new tweeters, and then I just electrical taped them up and shoved them back in the dash.

Would shielding around my connections help this issue, or does someone have an alternate suggestion? If it is shielding, what shielding could I use, and how would I go about doing so?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt it's because of the tweeter connection. The noise is getting into the wires elsewhere. I used to have a real bad problem. Then my installer installed a 4 ga power cable from the alternator to the positive battery terminal. All I know is that the whine was gone after that.