Where is Mercman!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is Mercman!!

I need one of Mercman's updated cables. I brought the old one when he first came out with it and I get that hiss. Now he is no where to be found...does anyone have one they arew willing to sell?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't just assume your hiss is due to his cable! Hiss can come from a million sources, not the least of which is how the rest of your system is installed. I had his second cable made, after the prototype for his, and it was not a source of interference in my system.

That said, I have no idea where he is now, and unfortunately for all of us he doesn't frequent the forums much anymore. At least, it doesn't seem so.

*edit* Actually he does frequent the forums, he just doesn't post as much. I'd try a PM to him. His last activity was just 30 minutes ago!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Well last I heard, Mercman told me that I needed to get one of his newer harness since that was the source of the problem. Other than that I don't know where the hiss would be coming from. Its even gotten to the point where I have to put my iPod directly into my amp in order to play music
Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Advanced

Okay, I don't know if anyone has had this problem or even has found a solution but heres a go...

When I plug in Mercman's harness and the RCA connectors at the end to my 4 channel amp and i touch one of the RCA's the hiss/noise goes away. I even tried it on ONE speaker (plugged in one RCA and then touched an UNPLUGGED RCA and the noise/hiss fades away). Does anyone know what this is? Is it the harness or just me?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapmaster0
Okay, I don't know if anyone has had this problem or even has found a solution but heres a go...

When I plug in Mercman's harness and the RCA connectors at the end to my 4 channel amp and i touch one of the RCA's the hiss/noise goes away. I even tried it on ONE speaker (plugged in one RCA and then touched an UNPLUGGED RCA and the noise/hiss fades away). Does anyone know what this is? Is it the harness or just me?

I had this problem. I have his 1st gen harness.
I troubleshooted with Mercman through PM's, and he narrowed it down to the connectors. I did not want to go through the trouble of ripping out the harness to switch out with the new harness. So what he did was he made Dongles that I just connected to the end where the RCA goes.

Now I have no idea really what these "dongles" are, they look very simple, it's simply female on one end, male on other end, and you just add on to the harness. Whatever it is, it fixed the hissing.

Anyways, on the OP's note. I don't know where Jeff is either
Old 05-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Oh man, lucky. He told me that it was a temp fix lol. Well if he ever gets back I'll just get a new harness, but I wanted to get it this weekend so I can do my system over. Its weird though, sometimes its gone and then a hum comes back then fades into a highpitch one then dissappears...weird...
Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I’m still here so don’t worry, I just have been extremely busy and I haven’t had time to post a lot. Also, since my PC crashed and I lost all my files and schematics I have been a little cranky when it comes to the PC.

Rap I sent you a PM.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2008, 12:42 AM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by mercman
I’m still here so don’t worry, I just have been extremely busy and I haven’t had time to post a lot. Also, since my PC crashed and I lost all my files and schematics I have been a little cranky when it comes to the PC.

Rap I sent you a PM.

Jeff

Should have got a Mac.....
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Advanced

Lol, Hey mercman I got your harness thanks!! I just hear a mild noise NOT very noticeable when I'm at "0". Similar to "shhhhhhhhhhh". It doesn't bother me as much as the old noise but is there something to do about it?

I haven't ran it under my carpet yet, and all RCA's are plugged in.