TSX: what's a ballun or BALUN? mercman?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Prefers 2 wheels over 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's a ballun or BALUN? mercman?

I have an 04 tsx and want to use my aftermarket amps to power some boston acoustic components up front and TREO subs in the trunk. I've found a TON of useful info on how to get to the stock amp and am very happy that it sounds like the stock HU isn't a pile of junk. If I can get a hold of a mercman bypass harness I think I'll be in good shape. One thing I was wondering however, is what is the BALUN or BALLUN or whatever??? And do I need one to run two amps off the stock HU using a mercman harness? Also, mercman, if you're seeing this, are you still building harnesses? I'm in Omaha, NE and I thought I saw a post where you mentioned that you were from NE with all the snow. If there's any possibility that I could get your contact info and buy a harness from you locally, that would be great. I need 5 posts before I can get PMed, so just reply to this message if you could. As you can see, I've been a member for a while, just haven't posted 5 posts I guess...
Old 02-27-2010, 09:14 AM
6th Gear

I am also looking for a mercman harness and balun, since the amp I plan on using won't take balanced inputs. Anybody know if Mercman is still building the harnesses? I almost have 5 posts...
Old 02-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
A BALUN is a BALanced to Unbalanced converter. It’s a generic term for a device that converts a two wire balanced line into a coaxial or single signal line with a shield (ground). There are a few different methods to achieve this conversion and some are bi-directional. Each method has its pros and cons and some are specific for an application, video, audio, radio wave, data and so on.

Why do you need one for the TSX?
The output of the HU is balanced.

Why did they do that?
Because balanced signal transmission is basically noise immune when properly terminated (connected to a balanced input).

Why do some aftermarket amps take balanced inputs and some don’t?
Good question, a balanced differential input has a lot of advantages over standard single ended (coaxial) inputs but cost more. One big advantage in car audio is ground isolation on the inputs. I think that some manufactures look to sell you an amp and HU and others try to make their amps more flexible because they don’t make HUs.

Jeff
Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
6th Gear

Smile

I am also wanting to upgrade my amplifiers and speakers , from the install shops I am told " clean sweep , or something along that line are required to install new amplifiers and bring back lost sound " I realize this is not a requirement since the HU in the TSX is fine and the major problem is the balanced outputs. Being in the Edmonton area the problem is all the shops seem to believe that a clean sweep is required . Hence I am here I know a balun adapter will work - I have found 2 links and would like to know if anyone has used these or if they shall work .

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
and
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10770
As an aside - my son (at the time was about 12 or so ) and I went into one of these stores and I noticed a square subwoofer - I enquired and was told I would not appreciate the "good sound" from this -the boy looked at me and said is he serious dad?
which was funny to both of us since I had two door mounted subwoofers in my 87 aerostar and 2 *10 inch in the trunk of my 626

dan

Last edited by montclair; 04-06-2010 at 11:31 AM.