USA-Spec Adapter Install Issue for 04 non-navi TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA-Spec Adapter Install Issue for 04 non-navi TSX

I followed most of the AZ peps and installed my adapter behind the CD holder under the radio. My issue is that I can hear a slight hum coming through the speaker when I have the volume turned down all the way. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Also, people say that they've installed GLI when needed. What type / brands are people using for the USA-Spec adapter? The only GLI i've found uses the RCA type connectors.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 PM
CDR
Instructor

I also have an 04 non-navi with a USA-SPEC installed in the center stack behind the CD pocket. And I have a slight "whine" in the sound when I'm listening to FM. Not there with my iPod, might be there with AM but I very rarely listen to that band. My sound varies with the car RPM.

There are some other recent posts on the Audio & Video board about this, try a search on "USA-SPEC" and variations and you'll find them. I think Ken (elduderino) indicated in one of those posts that a GLI won't help because of why the noise is there.

Just in case you or others are up for an experiment:

The common wisdom, which is very plausible, is that some of the other electronics in the stack are generating noise which is being picked up by the USA-SPEC adapter. The ECU is usually stated as the culprit, although I haven't verified that. The ECU is right behind where you (and I) have mounted the adapter.

If you're game and can easily remove the CD pocket again, you can confirm this theory and help all of us. Try leaving the USA-SPEC connected to the radio, and move the USA-SPEC module, cables, and iPod far away from the center stack of electronics (at least a foot or two). Listen carefully "before" and "after" for the noise you hear, and report back! If your noise goes away when well out of the console, the issue is not the conducted noise (which a GLI is intended to fix) but is the "radiated" noise from other electronics in the console.

The fix may be elusive. Check if there's a position of the USA-SPEC that minimizes the noise. Keep the cables away from the other electronics as much as possible. Shielding can work, too, but can be difficult to do.

And of course someone else reading this post may be able to give you and others a head start with a known-good console configuration, or the knowledge from already verifying the noise source.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ That's pretty good advice.

The real installers on this board often report the ECU to be a source of noise when it comes to aftermarket amp installs an placing new wiring or equipment near it. It stands to reason it can interfere with the usa spec as well. It is located about 6" below where the back of the pocket is, directly below it.

However I, and others, are running the module behind the storage pocket without any noise. I believe re-arranging the wires back there so nothing is across the face of the usa spec may help, but pulling it out to do a proper test is the only way to really diagnose what's causing your noises.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Advanced

CDR

I tried this test and was unable to duplicate the sound. The major reason why I couldn't get it is because I didn't drive around. I tried to rev it up while sitting still and couldn't really hear anything.

Reach

Could you possibly snap a few pics of how you installed yours?

Thanks peps!