TL: Tuning an Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Oh I didn't realize it was a paper cone. When i think of paper cones I def think of Hertz Hi-Energy/SPL Show subs and the JBL W12 GTI MK2, so quality is def a given. Gotta work hard in college so I can afford one of those listed or an ID Max one day lol . You'll have to let us know how it sounds! Hopefully it can still be felt well in the driver's seat (idk what kind of music you're into). What do you look for in sub performance?

On another note, it finally dawned on me how this 30hz box for my sub will perform. Low tune like 30hz = pretty flat response. Duh! The box is def going to be a go now that I realized sound quality will not be lost that much but it will def be louder!
Old 12-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Basically what I look for is a well-balanced woofer that is capable of playing equally as well at 70 hz as it does at 30 hz. But in my opinion, a subwoofer should not be the centerpiece of a system so it must be capable of blending seamlessly with your components. That's where all the sparkle comes from is the components. You can get any subwoofer to sound halfway decent but if you don't have good capable components you're done before you even get started. I truly listen to all types of music so finding the right one becomes a bit of a challenge and when you do you hold on to them and never let them go. These particular Subs require less than .75 cubic feet so not only do they perform impressively they get down with very minimal space which is always good.

Last edited by Bchester6; 12-13-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:19 PM
2005 Acura RL

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Funny....my early X-mas present came in the mail today.....lol. not near as nice as bchesters present but its still enough to get me excited it seems to be very well made and the coils are super stiff and i can see why this can be run in free air mode. probably going to be after the holidays before it will actually get installed since i am still waiting on the amp install kit and i have to order the sound deadening stuff again.

Name:  GEDC0016_zps5gzwibwn.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  374.1 KB

Name:  GEDC0017_zpst2ajygux.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  273.2 KB
Old 12-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Pro

Xmas is always good no matter when it comes as long as it comes. nice sub bro!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Racer

The Pioneer looks good!

I actually forgot to tell my parents to order what I wanted haha. Better get on that...
Old 12-14-2016, 11:55 AM
Pro

Merry Xmas! I can get you one of these for $300 but shipping may be costly but if you're willing to drive to California....
Old 12-14-2016, 08:43 PM
2005 Acura RL

$300....wow that pricey, but looks like some top shelf stuff.

i should take a lesson on spending money on the right stuff the first time. the ebay sound deading stuff was a flop and the 8ga amp install kit came today and its literally almost laughable. there is no way this is 8ga wire, even with the thick as hell plastic coating around the wire it looks like 10ga wire and the actual wires inside look like maybe 12ga at best. even the remote turn on wire is super thin and looks like it may be a single strand of wire inside it.

good thing my buddy owns a stereo shop beside my house...lol. i was just trying to save some cash since its Xmas time but that didnt work.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 PM
Racer

Stick with KnuConceptz from now on. Really good wiring with low prices. My 4 gauge kit from them was under $30 on Amazon and it's top notch and real thick. A lot of audio guys use them.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:17 AM
2005 Acura RL

yeah i should have known better on the wiring from ebay, or i should have at least looked for a company i have used before like Audiopipe, i am probably going to just order about 20ft of just some 4ga power wire because its really all i need, i have some 4ga laying around i can use for the ground and i already have a good set of RCA cables.

like i say i will just get one from my buddy since i know he has them laying on his shelf over in his shop and i have used the kits he has before and they are good kits. i actually have a key for his shop so i could walk over right now and grab one if i wanted to...lol. its what i should have done in the first place but like i mentioned i was just trying save a little cash since money is a little tight right now because of the holidays.

once Xmas is over we will be full speed ahead on the Acura
Old 12-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Pro

Just have your buddy spool you off some wire and fuse holders can be had for a couple bucks at any local Pepboys... A dollar a foot is what the shops around here sell it for.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Racer

I've also heard any place that sells welding supplies sells good wiring for dirt cheap. I picked up this too from my uncle who is a former bass head. Apparently he ran 2 12s and 2 15s in a Dodge Daytona back in the day lol.

Anyway, my final class for the semester is today! Without class and the "lady friend" going back home for the month there's plenty of time for me to get to work on the system haha. Hopefully I can get the TL all washed up and take some measurements tom.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:58 PM
2005 Acura RL

make sure to get us pics!
Old 12-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Racer

There will plenty of pics throughout the build lol. Looks like I won't be washing the TL because snow is coming
Old 12-16-2016, 11:33 AM
2005 Acura RL

yeah we have had a few inches of snow so far and mine is dirty as hell. My AWD system is throwing codes so it has the AWD disabled. i am sure i should get it fixed first before i upgrade the stereo in it but screw that....lol. The awd, knock sensor, new timing belt and waterpump will all be getting fixed at tax time which is right around the corner

i will have install pics of my sons car shortly after Xmas when we install his new amp that Santa is bringing him...lol. i am going to try and re-do the side and rear panels in his trunk to make everything look nice. the original side panels are warped and torn up since they are 35 years old. i am giving thought to kind of boxing in his truck where the sides, back and floor are all made of 1/4 wood. we also have some near rear speakers to install so we will have to move the sub box and while its out of the way i am going to put two 4" ports in his rear deck to allow more sound in the cabin.

so between my acura install and re-working his i will have a bunch of pics to post also.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Racer

I hate my car being dirty lol but with a lack of time and 20 deg temps it's not easy. I'd rather let it be dirty longer till I can take it to the dealer rather than paying at one of those half ass washes around town haha. Even then, I don't really like the dealer ones because they're still the drive in type. Nothing does a better job and less harm to the paint than by hand . The dirt from the snow doesn't bother me as much as those chemicals they treat the roads with and salt... That's just asking for paint damage.

With those issues in your car so far, I bet you have a nice set of Xmas lights going on in the dash lol. Who needs AWD when u have a sub anyway haha
Old 12-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Racer

Well I got bored waiting for the defrosters to heat up the windshield so I took a video of the "system" to give an idea of how it sounds from a quality standpoint lol. And yes, the bass distorts the sound a bit.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:02 PM
2005 Acura RL

i always wash mine by hand myself unless it just needs a rinse of then i will take it to a car wash and rinse it off, but i dont ever run through a car wash with brushes. i used to work at one of those years ago and we called the car wash "the shredder" and we have a huge box in the back filled with stuff the car wash had ripped off peoples cars....lol.

and you just posted that videos to rub it in my face that you have a working navigation screen....what a dick.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:15 PM
Racer

Whether it is a brush or uses the soft finger things they can rip parts off lol. The brushes can scratch your paint too. Or there's always the possibility the asshole before you took their truck off-road and now all that mud is being wiped on your car or scratching the paint further haha.

And hey, if I wanted to rub it in your face, I'd be putting a destination into the nav

Idk why but now that I think about it, it sounds kinda crappy on camera. And that song actually sounds pretty nice in person haha
Old 12-17-2016, 10:18 AM
2005 Acura RL

i cant wait to get the stupid navigation screen working, i dont care about the navigation really i just want to be able to control the radio, set my clock to the correct time, and have full control of my heater/ac functions....the navigation will just be a bonus...lol.

and the reason that song sounds kinda crappy is because its a crappy song.....LOL. you need some Bass Mechanik in your life so you can give that subwoofer a good workout.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Racer

Yeah, it's kinda shitty how Acura integrates all that into the head unit. Climate controls are def good in this kind of weather!

Lol the reason I chose this song was to show everything sounds not just the sub. Song doesn't suck btw. Metal has a dif feel on a system from rap or bass tracks. You feel the higher notes of bass come at you quickly and hit your chest. Bass Mekanik has that clean and powerful bass, but it sounds like shit on camera haha. I'll do a test with that again once the box is built. Even now, Bass Mekanik shakes my driver's side mirror haha
Old 12-17-2016, 07:23 PM
2005 Acura RL

i cant wait to see you get started on your new box. not only is it going to sound great but you get to stand back and look at it and say "i built that". your going to want to show it off a lot more then the box you picked off the shelf at your local car audio store. its your box build and i am excited about it...
Old 12-17-2016, 11:04 PM
Racer

I'm really itiching to get started on the box but the weather for the next couple days is going to be pretty bad in St Louis lol.

I'm not sure what I want to "paint" it with. I know you like the truck liner, but that stuff adds extra weight haha. I want to make a template or something so I can add an Acura logo on the box in some spot for a nice look.

The picture I added below is the exact finish I wanna go for
Old 12-18-2016, 07:11 AM
2005 Acura RL

thats a clean looking box, and it looks like its been sprayed with a satin paint where its not super glossy, or they may have used PlastiDip which is a rubberized paint. keep in mind to have a finish that smooth on wood its going to take a LOT of sanding and your going to have to use something like bondo to fill in your seams so it has a smooth look all around the box. i would say it will be a couple good days of filling and sanding, and using a primer on it first will be helpful because the wood will soak up the paint like a sponge, the primer can seal it off so you can get that super smooth look.

that the benefit of the truck bed coating, because of its texture everything does have to be as perfectly smooth and can cover up flaws because of its texture. and i dont spray it on very thick, just enough to cover the box with a thin coat. the Duplicolor stuff isnt near as thick as the Rhino Liner or LineX stuff that most people have sprayed in their truck beds.

dont forget the "make it stone" stuff that i used on my sons box in his car, it comes in a various colors.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:37 AM
2005 Acura RL

This is a little darker color then what i used on my sons car.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Racer

Going off of what you said, I'll stick with truck bed coating or make it stone then. It's pretty cold, but I still got one thing with the system done. I went to the shop to get my install scheduled. And it was a little more than I wanted to spend... $200

​​​​​The AudioControl LC7i cost another $50 to put in, which I didn't expect. But the $50 for them to sound deaden my doors is not a bad price so I don't have to screw with it .

From Wednesday on, though I'll have plenty of time to get to work on the box since it'll be in the high 40's!
Old 12-19-2016, 09:14 PM
2005 Acura RL

the truck bed coating is pretty simple to use, just spray it and let it sit for a day and it should be good to go. if you want a smoother texture use the spray can stuff, if you want a little rougher texture you can buy it in a quart can and use a roller to apply it. the thicker you coat it the more dry time it will need.

the make it stone stuff is a little more tricky to use because of the way it sprays coming out of the can and it will take longer to dry. you will also need to put some sort of clear coating over the stone to help protect it from flaking off. when it sprays coming out of the can it comes out FAST and thick, the best method i have found is to stand a good distance back from the box and apply it in thin coats. applying a base coat color will help it not take as much of the stone stuff to cover the box. i gave my sons box a light coat of black before i sprayed the stone stuff on it.

even with the truck bed coating or the stone stuff you will still have to smooth the box out a little. i usually use a little bondo to go around where all the pieces of wood join together to eliminate the lines so it looks like one solid piece like the box you posted a pic of with the square kicker speakers. to paint it like that box is all your work would have to be damn near perfect and you would need to use a primer or sealer to seal off the wood so it wouldnt absorb any of the paint. you wont need to worry about priming or sealing it with the bed coating or stone stuff.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:24 PM
2005 Acura RL

two bits of good news i ordered 10 square feet of the Noico sound deadner material and so thats on the way.

and we ordered a Skar Audio decal for my son since we got him the new Skar amp to go with his Skar sub, somewhere between them and the USPS the decal got lost in transit. So my wife called Skar Audio today and talked with them and they are sending out another decal and another box with "goodies" in it for our trouble. He didnt say what the goodies were but hopefully its a box full of promotional stuff or some hats and t-shirts. good looking out Skar Audio
Old 12-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Racer

I'll just use the spray can of the truck bed coating then since it's easiest. On that one box you did for your friend's hatchback, did you do alot of sanding to get the coating to give that smooth, matte finish? If I just spray it, while it come out more like this?

Old 12-21-2016, 01:20 AM
2005 Acura RL

i am not smoothing the surface of the wood just the areas where two pieces of wood meet together. you can see in the picture you posted were the side piece of wood meets the top piece of wood and you can see the line from where they meet, thats where i use bondo to fill in the cracks then sand it smooth so it appears seamless. you can use a wood putty to achieve the same thing i just use bondo since i do bodywork and stuff i always have some laying around.

as far as the texture of the coating it depends on how you spray the bed coating. the closer you hold the can to the surface you are spraying the thicker it will lay and it will have a more textured look to it. if you hold the can back a little further away and do light coats it will have a smoother texture and not be as rough looking like the one in the picture above.

this is about the best pic i can find of a close up of the texture of the coating, this is sprayed with the stuff that comes in a gallon and sprayed through a paint gun. the spray cans have a much smoother texture because its thinned down so it can be sprayed through the thin nozzle on a spray can.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:11 AM
Racer

Thanks for the tips! My dad has plenty of wood putty around so that won't be a problem. Is there a particular brand of spray on liner you would particularly recommend? I'm thinking of taking an extra small board, slapping some deadening on the back, finishing it and mounting my amps and then putting it into the box. Not having a mount for my amps has really been bothering me lol.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:21 AM
2005 Acura RL

Old 12-22-2016, 12:23 PM
2005 Acura RL

you should be able to pick up the Dupli Color truck bed coating at most autoparts stores. it usually is priced around 7-10 bucks a can, i would pick up a cheap can of black spray paint or a can of black spray primer and give the box a thin base coat with it then go over it with the truck bed coating. that way your not trying to cover the bare wood with the coating alone, spraying a little black paint first will help avoid light spots.

i would say one can of spray paint or spray primer and two cans of the truck bed coating should do the trick. maybe pick up a 3rd can of the truck bed coating so you can do some test spraying on some of the scrap pieces of wood you have left over that way once your ready to spray the box you have a feel for how it sprays.

Last edited by cyberquest; 12-22-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:14 PM
2005 Acura RL

the Noico sound deadening material came today, i could tell its the correct stuff just looking at the box and feeling how heavy it was. its 10 square feet so i will have plenty to do the rear deck and probably some other places as well.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Racer

Sorry for not replying quickly but I'm glad to hear the Noico is good! As far as painting the box, I'm thinking I might actually pass on it and just give the box a sand to clean it up. The reason being is that my sub is more of a gold color so idk how well it'd go w the black
Old 12-23-2016, 11:55 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts
Cyber, that is an amazing paint job you did on your son's car! Totally transformed the look. I like how you kept the original lines as well. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your RL.

WDPinit, can't wait to see what you do with your box build. I've never done well with any painting, lots of prep and sanding to get the seams smooth. Pressure building in the box might see some cracks later on if there isn't any flex to the paint. We always used to make a trip to the fabric store for some vinyl or the standard carpet type material + adhesive. There are probably a lot more options with wraps and stuff now a days. That truck bed coating sounds like it would be flexible enough, wonder if it would smell @ all in a hot car?
Old 12-24-2016, 08:14 AM
2005 Acura RL

atomlinks: thanks for the compliment on my sons car, seeing how happy he was that i repainted the car for him was a very touching moment as a parent. we will be doing our Xmas today instead of Xmas day so he will get to open his new Skar amp so i cant wait to see his reaction when he opens that up. and once the truck bed coating dries it turns into a hardened rubberized type material and no matter how hot it gets outside i have never had any smell at all. i built the one box for my ford escape and it saw plenty of hot summer days and since it was a open cabin if there was any smell at all i would have smelled it.

WD : there is nothing wrong with leaving the box just wood and if you dont like it you can always paint it or carpet it later down the road. do you know what type of wood your using to build it? the best choice is MDF board but it can be pricey depending on where you get it. i typically build them from particle board because its cheaper and as long as you give the inside a good coat of paint or something to seal it then it works just as good as MDF board. i have used just spray paint, i have used spray can clear, and on a couple of boxes i have coated the inside of them with a fiberglass resin.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:42 AM
Pro

+1 for Birch
Old 12-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Pro

But MDF is fine as well.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Racer

Merry Xmas everyone! I got my amp and LOC upgrade today The Zapco has a nice weight to it!

Atom: I plan to brace the box with a couple of wooden dowels so flexing shouldn't be an issue. I may or may not paint it we'll see.

Cyber: 3/4" MDF is what I'm going to use most likely and I agree that it is expensive lol. I'll put everything into the box builder again tonight to get exact numbers since I'm going to tune at 30hz.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:16 PM
2005 Acura RL

whats the Zapco amp going to be running?

we are over at my buddies shop right now installing my sons new Skar Audio amp and it sound pretty damn good, big thumbs up on its sound quality. i will have a few pics later tonight.

Quick Reply: TL: Tuning an Amp?