TSX System - Alpine/Boston Acoustics/JL Audio - 56k slightly warned

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006 | 08:45 PM
10th Gear

TSX System - Alpine/Boston Acoustics/JL Audio - 56k slightly warned

I got my nbp 05 tsx a couple months ago, and had this system installed. I had the speakers, amps, and subs already, in my accord. Since the TSX dash is a PITA, it was left intact, the storage bin and not-an-ashtray removed, and the screen is molded into their place. 12v from next to not-an-ashtray relocated to the glove box. Factory look, fully reversible.

Alpine VPA-B222 Vehicle Hub Pro - faceless head unit
Alpine PXA-H701 Multimedia Manager - audio processor; parametric eq and time correction, Dolby PL II, Dolby Digital and DTS decoding
JL 300/4 amp
Boston Pro 60 component speakers - front and rear
JL 1000/1 amp
Two JL 10w6v2 subs
Alpine TME-M770S touchscreen display
Alpine PMD-B100 Blackbird nav - currently ghetto on the dash. soon to be in this dock:
Alpine PMD-DOK1 Blackbird dock - when they finally bring it to market
Alpine DVA-5210 dvd player

also Alpine iPod connector, steering wheel control interface; Pioneer rear view camera; dynamat, xm tuner, video bypass, etc...anyhow here are some pics. hopefully not too many:

rush rush, get the yeyo

amps, crossovers, capacitor, sound processor, xm tuner behind rear seat & on false wall

ooh, blue. i keep it red while driving. this is the orb controller for the VHP - one of 3 ways of controlling the system, in addition to the touchscreen and the steering wheel controls.

subs in JL prowedge enclosure

more system pics here
more car pics over here

Old 11-10-2006 | 11:23 PM
Scru U guyz, Im Goin Home

K....nice products. but 2 Q's

1) Isn't it a PITA to have the controler for the Vhub way up there?..... I'd think it would be best in a more natural position like the I-drive sys on the BMs (I find most people use the controler more then the TS while driving)
2) In the pics it looks like the dash piece for the monitor doesn't fit right nor is it even flat. Is it not finished? or do they think that is good enough is good enough?
***First rule in custom work is: u can never have too much sand paper; it looks like they may have forgot that 1.... ***

(Don't get me wrong it's better work then I've seen from a lot of shops. and if u did this all urself then awsome job )

BTW: Alpine is soon to release their 8" touchscreen monitor, but dont worry "soon" for Alpine means 2-3 years, lol
Old 11-11-2006 | 09:11 AM
VP Electricity

X2

hehe... Boku, I read through this and then scrolled down to type a post, and found you'd said exactly what I was going to say.

I would also throw in that using a cap with "slash" amplifiers is kinda silly...

Congrats on the car and the system, and I think you'll do some mods to it as you go.

I'm guessing Tweeter did the install.
Old 11-11-2006 | 02:35 PM
3rd Gear

What exactly does the Alpine vehicle hub do?
Old 11-11-2006 | 10:20 PM
Boriqcano

One question is does it 'thump'
Old 11-12-2006 | 04:06 AM
10th Gear

One of the main goals of this system was to look stock with everything closed and the display turned off.

It's not really too bad with the orb up top there - and it hides very well by pushing the sunglasses holder up. We considered numerous locations but nothing was really working at all. Where is the i-drive control you mentioned located?

The dash piece actually looks good, and looks factory - the pics don't do it justice. It's not a sandable plastic material, it's textured and much like the material on part of the door panels. It is contoured around the screen, and curved down below to form into the center console, but these are symmetrical and designed to be that way.

and yeah, friggin alpine...I might be waiting months more for the blackbird dock to get it off the dash - when it was supposed to be out last spring.

Originally Posted by boku
K....nice products. but 2 Q's

1) Isn't it a PITA to have the controler for the Vhub way up there?..... I'd think it would be best in a more natural position like the I-drive sys on the BMs (I find most people use the controler more then the TS while driving)
2) In the pics it looks like the dash piece for the monitor doesn't fit right nor is it even flat. Is it not finished? or do they think that is good enough is good enough?
***First rule in custom work is: u can never have too much sand paper; it looks like they may have forgot that 1.... ***

(Don't get me wrong it's better work then I've seen from a lot of shops. and if u did this all urself then awsome job )

BTW: Alpine is soon to release their 8" touchscreen monitor, but dont worry "soon" for Alpine means 2-3 years, lol
Old 11-12-2006 | 04:08 AM
10th Gear

thanks - curious why not to use caps with JL's slash amps? I had some headlight dimming on my previous car with the same amps and wanted to isolate the system power from the rest of the car - bad solution?

Myer Emco did the install

Originally Posted by elduderino
X2
I would also throw in that using a cap with "slash" amplifiers is kinda silly...

Congrats on the car and the system, and I think you'll do some mods to it as you go.

I'm guessing Tweeter did the install.
Old 11-12-2006 | 04:13 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Internet n00b
What exactly does the Alpine vehicle hub do?
The vehicle hub pro is basically a faceless head unit, and includes the orb controller. It has the ability to display on a factory screen (like the tsx nav) or on a touchscreen like the alpine one I went with. With the latter, you are able to use the touchscreen capabilities, the former is just display so you use the orb thing. It takes in all the inputs: (for me) ipod, xm, dvd, radio, rear view cam - and when the blackbird dock comes out, nav. it's not housed in the dash for applications where there is not enough room - mine is under the passenger's seat.
Old 11-12-2006 | 04:16 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TSXNewYorker
One question is does it 'thump'
oh yeah!
with 500 watts to each of the 10w6v2's, you get a big crisp thump. dynamat keeps everything from rattling.
Old 11-13-2006 | 01:43 PM
10th Gear

I looked around and I see now where the i-drive controller is (link) ...such placement was simply not possible on the tsx. We played with a number of locations but the sunglasses holder was chosen, as it's really not uncomfortable - granted you can't reach it while resting your arm on the center rest - and is fully reversible when I put the car back to stock. We thought for about a minute and a half about putting it in place of the cup holders - that idea was nix'ed due to loss of cupholders.

Originally Posted by boku