TSX install issue pt II

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX install issue pt II

Original Issue

Okay, so after two weeks of what seemed like back to normal, the damn fading out of the up front components has started up again! I thought I had diagnosed and solved the problem but not so. And this time I made sure to check all the connections.

However, I did switch the L & R RCA inputs into the amp (for the components) and now the cutting out is happening on the left side instead of the right (opposite of the first time with this problem). So based on earlier advice, it seems that the problem is happening either within the amp, the connection to the HU or the HU itself.

Any suggestions on how I can do further tests to tell if it is the amp or spliced connection to the HU (which think are the more probable culprits)?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess you could swap out the amp for another amp.

Also, you can do a lot with a multi-meter.... Once a friend showed me a few things, it made a lot more sense to me how to test and figure out these things. Like, you set the multimeter to AC voltage, and you can detect signals, whether it's a preamp or speaker, etc. The numbers just jump around, which is confusing, but it actually is OK. So, if the channel is cutting out, you should be able to use the meter to see the signal on one side, and not on the other (or smaller numbers for a smaller signal).
Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if you switched the RCA's L&R, and the problem switched sides, you can rule out the amp as it's clearly occurring upstream of it. Can't rule out the HU, however, I'd suspect that it's a connection problem at the HU, either one of the wires, on one of the channels, is likely broken, but the two ends can still touch each other giving you a signal sometimes, and not, at others.

vidgamer - if you use test tones (sin waves) the voltage won't jump around (unless you change the volume) it will remain level.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

OOh, good idea. Break out the test CD... Just to see if you have a connection at all, you can use any music source, but I can see that having a steady signal would get you more information.

Well, if the problem is in the connections, are you using a tap to splice into the wire to get the signal? I like the convenience of them, but I don't think they give you the best contact.... I know some people recommend soldering connections, but I hate that, especially if I have to do it in tight places.... So, the next time I work with the wires (soon!), I plan to tap away and take my chances.