For those looking to replace their factory headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those looking to replace their factory headunit

As we all know, the factory stereo in the TL lacks the quality that most of us here are looking for. With this in mind, I replaced the speakers and added amps and a sub a little over a year ago to try and improve things. Since, at the time, I did not want to replace the factory headunit (due to cosmetic issues and having to give up a 6 disc in-dash changer), I did some research and found a solution that, in hindsight, was perfect for my needs.

The first hurdle was to somehow tap into the factory radio so that I could add some aftermarket amps to the system. The solution to this problem came from AudioLink , a company that offers interfaces for Bose systems. The great thing about it is that there was no cutting of wires at all. With the provided adapter harness, it plugs right in line with the factory Bose headunit. Basically, it acts as a line out converter but without the need to cut any wires, unlike what you would have to do using some of the other methods of installing LOC's. In addition, it has a built in line driver to boost the signal so that aftermarket amps can be utilized.

So now that I had a solution to the interface problem, I read in other threads on this forum about how the EQ that is included with the factory headunit boosts the upper and lower frequencies of the sound spectrum quite dramatically, thus producing a harsh sound when aftermarket speakers are installed. So to combat this, I bought an AudioControl EQ to counteract the stock EQ. As seen in another thread, the aftermarket EQ can be easily installed in the worthless tray above the factory headunit (non-navi only) and I must say looks almost like it was installed by the factory.

The interesting thing that I found out was that I did not need the aftermarket EQ to reduce the upper and lower frequencies, but rather the opposite! Turns out the adapter I installed must somehow bypass the stock EQ of the Bose system. Although I have no way to prove it (I'm not an electrician), I do know that the frequency settings on the AudioControl EQ had to be boosted in the upper frequencies. In addition, the Three.1 EQ comes with its own line driver too, so you'll never have to worry about not having enough voltage going to the aftermarket amps.

After having this install in my car for a little over a year, I decided to take everthing out and install an aftermarket headunit (go figure). I thought that doing so would raise the SQ to a new level. Although there was a noticable amount of improvement in the quality of sound, I can honestly say that the system I had set up previously with the factory headunit provided me with 80 to 90% of the SQ I have now. That's pretty good, since the headunit I have in my car now is an Eclipse 8053 - considered one of the best sounding headunits you can buy today.

So in summary, the point of this post is to convey two things:
1. There's an easy way to add aftermarket amps and speakers to the TL while also keeping our factory headunit (BTW, which is actually made by Pioneer).

2. You are not going to obtain a drastic improvement in SQ by installing an aftermarket headunit, IMHO.

I really hope this helps those who feel as though they absolutely NEED to replace the factory unit in order to improve the sound in their TL. In our case a least, speakers and amps are the main detractor in achieving quality sound. Now I know that some who frequent these forums must have the best, and the only answer is to replace the factory headunit. But for a large amount of us, we are just looking for a very nice sounding system. I wish someone would have told me about this instead of learning it the hard way - the result by which I now have a bunch of auto stereo equipment that I'm not using anymore.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
thanks for the info!

do you have the website or info on the audio link?
Old 08-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Instructor

do you have the website or info on the audio link?
Sorry about that. The link is embeded within the name AudioLink within my first post. I thought that links are colored blue but I guess that's not the case. Here ya go.

AudioLink
http://www.linkmeup.com
The unit I have is the PD4

Audio Control Three.1 EQ
http://www.audiocontrol.com

P.S. If anyone wants to buy these from me, just shoot a PM my way. I'll also provide you with a modified tray so that you won't have to cut into the one you already have.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:22 AM
Like a mideget on a moped

once again thanks for the info!
Old 08-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Yea thanx man great info!

Jeremy
Old 08-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Great write up Master-G. Thanx for the leg work. Guess I'll finally get around to installing the sub and amp I have collecting dust.