system with navi

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 04:33 AM
Stokeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
system with navi

was wondering if there is a way to hook up amps to the mids and tweets? i know u have to use a high low converter for adding subs did that already...but is there a way to add amps for the mids and highs without changing the navi system?
Old 01-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Stokeless

come on guys help lol
Old 01-06-2004, 05:37 PM
You want me to break it?

With some help from a few people here, I just bypassed the stock amp completely - took the RCA signal straight from the headunit to my amps thus no line out converter necessary. This is prolly more work than you were looking for but it was surprisingly easy to do except that I ran new speaker wire (could have tied back into the stock wiring behind the cd storage bin but didn't want to use the "premium" honda wiring setup). The only downside is that I had to cut off the headunit signal wire harness at the amp so if I ever try to go back to stock i got some more hardware to buy from honda. Other than LOC, I really don't know what else to tell ya. Good luck, new speakers/amps sounds good so far. Doing this did not affect my Navi at all, still speaks to me and I can still control fade/balance and all the rest with stock setup.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Stokeless

so there is a RCA output from the head unit then so its not like the bose systems? where is the stock amp? and is there an RCA input as well as an output?
Old 01-06-2004, 10:35 PM
You want me to break it?

All Hail e_lectro and mojo for this one, they told me how to do it.

The output to the amp is apparently RCA level with a shielding wire that travels with each set of signal (ie a + and - to right front and an additional wire that is wrapped up with them, repeat for the other 3 sets of signals). If you pull out the cd storage tray (just pull straight out, kind of hard - 4 of those white pressure type clips hold it in) you can see the amp behind the not an ashtry bit, it has 2 harnesses on it - A and B or big and little - the little one is the RCA signal I believe. Search for a thread called line out converter for the exact conversation along with wiring diagrams,etc - to bypass it you pretty much gotta take out the not an ashtray which means the entire center console has to go in order to get that little part out. see http://instantox.com/tsx/pdf/TELEPHONE_INTERFACE.PDF for how to take that out - it's not particularly difficult, just takes some patience. I essentially spliced the outputs from teh head unit directly onto RCA cable wires (I cut off the connectors on one end and figured out which was + and -) and ran that down the center console, under the carpet and back seat (easy to take out also) and to my trunk - you gotta either splice into the big harness at teh amp (which is output to the speakers themselves) or run your own wires to each door - i ran my own and it was a PITA - only do it if you have help and alot of patience - my write up will go into all the gory details of that experience with advice - then power and ground it and play ball - power, RCA, and ground are pretty easy - speaker wire took forever and was painful. See the 2 links above for a start.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Stokeless

cool ill try that so bascially u just spliced them? cut the wires and used plugs to put rca tips on them? man i cant wait....im totally gonna change the stock system out. All te stereo shops i been too told me i cant be done and i have to use a high low converter. You guys here in the audio section just put a huge smile on my face and brighted up my day thanks i hope to get some audio mods done soon.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:22 PM
You want me to break it?

I went to radio shack and bought this little strip with about 12 connections I think that was called a European something or other - basically a small (3 inch long, .5 inch wide) piece of nylon with 12 sets of wire insert spots that have small screw down connections - just put the hu signal in one end and the cut RCA wire in the other - I didn't attach RCA outputs to the headunit wires - it's a tight workspace and this way seemed easier - no guarantees but I have not had any problems so far and can't foresee any now. Enjoy - replacing the amp/speakers is definitely worth it (I also dynamated the shite out of my doors while I was in there) - make sure you have lots of time if you wanna replace all the speaker wire too (can't replace the dirver door due to no space to run wire in protective rubber wire loom).
Old 01-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Stokeless

hmmm so u left the driver side stock?
Old 01-07-2004, 09:56 PM
You want me to break it?

I couldn't replace the wiring to the driver door speaker - had to run wire from my crossover (just to the right of the VSA/sunroof buttons when looking from sitting position) to the stock wires on harness A where they came out of the amp behind the cd storage box- essentially had to use the stock wiring to send the signal to that speaker due to all the window regulator and lock controls in that door =2 wiring harness and no room to run my wires. Speaker is replaced, just had to clip off the wires at the amp harness and splice them to my crossover output and then clip off the speaker connectors and put my own on - i tried to replace ALL of the speaker wiring, but there was no getting around that one. Oh well, it's only about 4-5 feet of wire anyway.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Stokeless

i got another question about the shond3...how do you switch back and forth from nav to aux input? do you have to put your own switch in there?