sub enclosure placement

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sub enclosure placement

Have anyone tried different positioning to see which sounds the loudest in a second gen TL, or any of our cars in this case?
Old 01-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Firing rear with the box 3 inches from the rear seat will sound the best. Who gives a shit about loud if it does not sound good.

If you want loud get a pass through box that will fire into the cabin through the ski hole. YOu get zero trunk rattle and it will get LOUD!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

based on the length of a sub sound wave we have found that the left rear corner facing the otherside works the best
Old 01-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by custom built
based on the length of a sub sound wave we have found that the left rear corner facing the otherside works the best
I don't agree with that. Facing the sub toward an opposite surface which reflects the sound wave back toward the source creates standing sound waves. This is a form of noise cancellation and is not an effective configuration for producing accurate bass notes. It is common knowledge that when you face a subwoofer toward the rear of a vehicle it reflects off of the back surface and the sound wave is allowed to mature inside the cabin of the vehicle as it travels forward. Each subwoofer has it's own condition. For example.... An 8" subwoofers' sound wave is fully mature after traveling 6 feet. That's the "sweet spot". You want to sit in the sweet spot of your subwoofer.

Anyone can figure this out by moving a sealed box around in your trunk. any subwoofer will produce the loudest and most accurate bass not when faced at the center/rear of trunk lid. This is assuming that you have an open path for sound to get into the cabin of your car from the trunk.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

So does sub facing rear seats with the ski pass down sound like a plan? I'm just trying to get opinions because my box is going to be a b!tch to move around in the trunk and I'm going to have an amp rack making it even harder to mave the box around. I know everyone says try both ways but it's going to be a bit tight. My box is 34lx17hx16.5d, making it almost as wide as the first opening after the rear seats and almost as high as the rear deck.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by headbussaboi
So does sub facing rear seats with the ski pass down sound like a plan? I'm just trying to get opinions because my box is going to be a b!tch to move around in the trunk and I'm going to have an amp rack making it even harder to mave the box around. I know everyone says try both ways but it's going to be a bit tight. My box is 34lx17hx16.5d, making it almost as wide as the first opening after the rear seats and almost as high as the rear deck.
If you fire that sucker forward through the pass thru the bass note will be it's loudest 3 feet in front of the car only when you're windows are down. And all you'll hear inside the car is crazy cone noise. Face it back toward the trunk lid. Make sure you pull out your factory 9" BOSE sub. It's in a great spot to allow that sound pressure into the cabin of your car.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

It's been a couple of years but, when I had my 00 TL, I had a 10" Diamond TDX in a ported box facing the rear seats with a port firing up thru the factory sub location. It is still to date the best sub setup I have had in any vehicle.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by uncald4
If you fire that sucker forward through the pass thru the bass note will be it's loudest 3 feet in front of the car only when you're windows are down. And all you'll hear inside the car is crazy cone noise. Face it back toward the trunk lid. Make sure you pull out your factory 9" BOSE sub. It's in a great spot to allow that sound pressure into the cabin of your car.
I guess I designed my box so it would be somewhat like a 6th order bandpass if I took out the factory sub. My box is to fit right into the first opening after the seat. We'll see. If my numbers are low, I'll just make another box, which I would really hate to do. Besides, I don't really want to deaden the trunk in 15 degree weather.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
SOLD. 07 Jeep SRT8 =)

so let me get this straight i got dual 12" kickers facing the trunk and if i remove the factory sub this will help out with the bass?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NYtypeS03
so let me get this straight i got dual 12" kickers facing the trunk and if i remove the factory sub this will help out with the bass?
Word.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NYtypeS03
Yes, because it will allow the sound pressure to come into the cabin. It gives the sound waves more places to go instead of being trapped in your trunk .
Old 01-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
^^i just did that and WHOA it works!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Intermediate

Well,I didn't get to try the box with the sub facing forward. I had a hard enough time getting the box to BARELY fit and I had to mount my sub to the box AFTER fitting the box into the trunk so there is no way I could screw in the sub through the ski pass, unless I wanted to take the rear seat off and I couldn't even get that off. But I did take the factory sub out and with the ski pass folded down, all I can say is major trunk and door flexing with 900 watts going to my sub. Yep, it's all in the install and judging by the flex from my sunroof, this install isn't so bad . Pics in another thread .
Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

where is the factory sub if any in a 1998 acura tl because im trying to figure out the best size box for 2 12in subs in my trunk