Sub enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2000, 05:33 AM

Question Sub enclosure

Question. I have 2 JL Audio subs that I use to have in my old truck. Standard enclosure. Installed the amp and ran the subs in the TL. But I feel that no matter what I do I can't get that nice tight bass into the cabin but get way to much of the ring bass. I tried taking out the stock sub, turning the box all different ways, but still did not feel a major difference. I am thinking maybe someone can give me a better idea on a enclosure design better suited for trunk applications. I have always had trucks and hadn't had to deal with this problem before.
I do not really listen to much bass music so I am just looking for a nice tight bass sound from my subs. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2000, 09:04 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey dude what model of subs are they? i have a subwoofer program on my PC. it is the same program JL audio uses to speck their sub boxes. just give me the info and i can compare any boxes you want using the same subs. then you can decide what box you want.
email me and ill take care of the design for you.

------------------
formerly 98 prelude type SH

Currently 2001 Acura 3.2 TL With Navigation Black/Ebony
Old 12-15-2000, 09:24 AM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by O'sTL:
Question. I have 2 JL Audio subs that I use to have in my old truck. Standard enclosure. Installed the amp and ran the subs in the TL. But I feel that no matter what I do I can't get that nice tight bass into the cabin but get way to much of the ring bass. I tried taking out the stock sub, turning the box all different ways, but still did not feel a major difference. I am thinking maybe someone can give me a better idea on a enclosure design better suited for trunk applications. I have always had trucks and hadn't had to deal with this problem before.
I do not really listen to much bass music so I am just looking for a nice tight bass sound from my subs. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
actually i had the same problem when i transferred my system from my maxima to the tl... i have a ported box... i just switched to a sealed box and the base is great... tight and hitting.. no more of that dirty noise... what kinda box do u have?

------------------
Aem Short Ram / Comptech Sway Bars / Comptech Springs / Custom Cross-Drilled Front Rotors / Alpine CDA-7863 Head Unit / Alpine G320 EQ / JL Audio XR653-CS 3-Way comps for the front powered by a bridged Alpine MRV-F407 amp / Boston Acoustics 5.5 ProSeries 2-Way comps for the rear powered by
Alpine MRV-1002 amp / Dual 10" JL Audio W-3 sub powered by Alpine MRV-1005 amp / Two Alpine CHA-1214 CD Changers
Pics of my TL
Old 12-20-2000, 10:31 PM
Racer

I have some dirty noise and I have two sealed JL12W6s. Wanna compute that with your bass program prelude?

------------------
2000 Laguana Green / NAVI, Burlwood Shifter, 35% Mirror Tint all over,2 x JL12W6s, Pioneer Premier P920R, MB Quarts Coaxial, PPI 2600.2 and 4400.2 , Pioneer 620 6Disc
My Acura
Old 12-22-2000, 12:14 AM
Racer

If you put each sub in 1 cubic foot you will have a roll off of 44.16 Hz i wouldent go any smaller than that or it won't sound to good. persinally i would go with 2 JL 10W6's and use .5-.75 cubic feet per sub that will give you a lot more tight bass. your problem is that in the truck you were a lot closer to the subs and you couldent get very low bass in the truck. now that you have a bigger car you are getting the ringing bass notes that the truck couldent produce. so i would go with smaller subs. what you want is smaller lighter weight cones that can move more quickly. they will also have a higher resonant frequency.

------------------
formerly 98 prelude type SH

Currently 2001 Acura 3.2 TL With Navigation Black/Ebony