Stock Speaker issues..bought new head unit and still having same issues HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Stock Speaker issues..bought new head unit and still having same issues HELP

so the past week or so I started having issues with sound coming out of my speakers..basically I would turn on my car and my clarion head unit (bout 3 yrs old) would turn on but all i would hear was just my subs...no music at all from the stock speakers..it didnt happen everytime, but more times then not..so i automatically assumed my clarion head unit was shot so i ordered a new clarion online and installed it myself this weekend...i am still having the exact same issue with the brand new head unit...i turn on the car and just hear the subs only...if i turn the car on and off like 10 tens and the unit on and off i eventually get the speakers to work again...

its like i am having a short or something in my stock speakers...any ideas?? i really don't want to purchase new speakers for the car, because i am happy with current setup and dont really want to put any more money into it...

PLEASE HELP!
Old 02-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Do you have the bose stock system or not? Also, check all of your connections on the back of the HU...
Old 02-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Racer

no bose....and i double checked all the connections with a installer at a local stereo place...it seemed to think it has to do with bad stock speakers...but also said it could be the speaker wiring...has anyone on this site ever had this issue?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your speakers could be grounding out. You should try and do a continuity test on each speaker. This would cause all of the speakers to stop working.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah you're grounding out if the speaker just doesn't come on... I ran all new speaker wire to my new speakers to prevent this exact problem... there area couple of ways to fix it, if your problem is grounding out...
1. trace every single foot of speaker wire to each speaker... this would suck bad, but you wouldn't have to run new speaker wire
2. run all new speaker wire... it's not that bad, but you do have the cost of the speaker wire, and the time to run all of it...
Old 02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Also check continuity to ground on all speaker leads as well, and set your meter to the 200ohm range if it is not auto ranging to make sure your speakers are all 3-6 ohms.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Racer

yea so i don’t have the technical knowledge or tools to do what you guys are suggesting...it seems like its more of a wiring issue and not speaker issue right? anyone in the area want to help me out of this? i will purchase beer!

any other easy suggestions???
?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 PM
6spd FTW

Well, since it is an aftermarket and you don't have any kinda experience or the tools... you can resort to the simplest alternative. Disconnect all the speakers from the headunit wiring (just snip them, hopefully you used a harness to install the radio and did not just clip the factory one, will make your job harder). Connect one speaker at a time and test between each hookup til you find your problematic speaker. If you start off with no sound on your first speaker, disconnect it and try another. Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Racer

ok thanks will do Tehvine...I did install it on my own and did use a harness...it wont be a problem to attempt this...so if i dissconntect all the speaker wires, then by trying only one at a time then they should all work by themselves except for just the one that has the problem with the speaker wire? will the one that doesnt work be a wire problem or a speaker problem?

Also, i noticed the same thing happening on Monday morning and this morning. I start my car cold, the speakers dont work, just the subs. I drive for about 10 minutes until the car heats up, i turn on the heater at this point becuase it cold as balls outside...as soon as i pushed the heater on in the car the speakers just started working...WTF?? the exact thing happened yesterday morning and this morning... the speakers worked the rest of the way to work....yesterday afterwork i get into the car when its cold...the speakers didnt work again...but this time the speakers just randomly came on on thier own during the drive home.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 PM
6spd FTW

Yeah definitely sounds like a wire issue. If you run across the speaker that causes the deck to cut out, go to the speaker and unplug it and try again, if it is still cutting out then the wiring is the fault and not the speaker. This obviously won't be too easy if it is a front speaker. Don't forget about the tweeters if you have to do this up front.

If you haven't pulled the deck out yet, you may as well try the easy thing and pop out the tweeters, disconnect, and hop in the trunk and unplug the rears. See if you get sound out of the fronts.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Racer

ok i will try doing that this weekend when i have time... but everyday it seems all i have to do it just turn on my heat/AC and the speakers work..it works just about EVERYTIME...do you think i could just use this to make the speakers work everytime and just not worry about the problem. I am a lazy person that always wants to take the lazy way out! Or will the shorting out eventually cause harm to my speakers/CD player?