Stereo sounds good not great..mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo sounds good not great..mods?

OK--after spending some time listening to the stereo---it sounds ok...not great---what are the best, easiest cheapest mods? Do you replace all the speakers or just put a subwoofer in...Im a bit of a newbie but I learn fast. and wtf is this rattling in the back left woofer?
Old 12-10-2001, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
New kid with a new toy...... I have had mine now for 5 weeks and the addiction gets worse..

Here is what I have found out so far. If you want to upgrade any part of the Bose system, you have to upgrade it all including HU. Kinda annoying since I have the Infinity Kappa speakers...

General consensus is to add an amp + woofer. I should have mine in in a week or so. I should get my woofer tomorrow and the amp wire kit should get to me in a week.

Will update all on how it sounds....
Old 12-10-2001, 11:23 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
New kid with a new toy...... I have had mine now for 5 weeks and the addiction gets worse..

Here is what I have found out so far. If you want to upgrade any part of the Bose system, you have to upgrade it all including HU. Kinda annoying since I have the Infinity Kappa speakers...

General consensus is to add an amp + woofer. I should have mine in in a week or so. I should get my woofer tomorrow and the amp wire kit should get to me in a week.

Will update all on how it sounds....
Eggplan-EX,
I'm glad that you pass what you was informed to others. So we, old guys, wouldn't not have to answer those questions one time too many. Thank you.

On the side note, you can replace speakers without changing out the stock HU, just replace the speakers and stock Bose amp. I did it so I know it works. However, there is a draw back. The output from the stock HU is weak so you need a powerful amp with very low THD level to get gread sound, otherwise, there is a little hiss. Now you know, say bye to the Bloze speakers .
Old 12-11-2001, 12:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the input. But I think I will run the stock system for now. Have already spent a bomb on the amp and woofer.

Will see how that sounds first...
Old 12-11-2001, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
You should get a new head unit, an amp, and a sub...keep the stock bose highs. Then tweak the crossover a bit, and bammmm there ya go. The stock highs are alright as long as not powered with a stock head unit. Acura radios = no power...its all about aftermarket radio. Then bust out the sub and get some BOOOM BOOM ya herd haha...
Old 12-17-2001, 10:06 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Slooo97CL
You should get a new head unit, an amp, and a sub...keep the stock bose highs. Then tweak the crossover a bit, and bammmm there ya go. The stock highs are alright as long as not powered with a stock head unit. Acura radios = no power...its all about aftermarket radio. Then bust out the sub and get some BOOOM BOOM ya herd haha...
How do the amps work on the bose speakers, someone told me that each speaker has its own amp on it? Is this correct. Also someone told me I could change the stock HU and put in one with at minimum a 4v pre out, convert the RCAs to regular speaker wire and run that to the bose speakers. I'm guessing the HU would have to be a "dead head" in order to use the power from the amp on the bose...?? Any comments?
Old 12-17-2001, 10:37 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NoleCLS

How do the amps work on the bose speakers, someone told me that each speaker has its own amp on it? Is this correct. Also someone told me I could change the stock HU and put in one with at minimum a 4v pre out, convert the RCAs to regular speaker wire and run that to the bose speakers. I'm guessing the HU would have to be a "dead head" in order to use the power from the amp on the bose...?? Any comments?
hahaha ... you have been BS-ed. The stock amp is a weak a$$ 4 channel amp that weighs less than a lb . Regarding converting 4v pre-out to speaker-level signal to drive speaker. This is the most funny joke or the most stupid BS.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:45 PM
Racer

Originally posted by SilverKnight

hahaha ... you have been BS-ed. The stock amp is a weak a$$ 4 channel amp that weighs less than a lb . Regarding converting 4v pre-out to speaker-level signal to drive speaker. This is the most funny joke or the most stupid BS.
Where is the 4 chan. located?

So basically what your telling me is that should be able to take out this 4 chan amp....take out the head unit and run my own HU, 4 chan amp to the stock speakers, and throw a sub in with no prob??

I went to a place called HIFI Buys here in the Atlanta Area. Not sure if many know of the place, but I thought they could be trusted.

Hifi Buys
Old 12-17-2001, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

check to see if one of the members have an amp/woofer addition. If you can listen to an amp/woofer addiiton, you may be sold on that rather than changing out the whole $y$tem.

I am running an amp/woofer addition with stock system and it sounds really good.

but I am no purist...

just my 2 cents.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:13 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
check to see if one of the members have an amp/woofer addition. If you can listen to an amp/woofer addiiton, you may be sold on that rather than changing out the whole $y$tem.

I am running an amp/woofer addition with stock system and it sounds really good.

but I am no purist...

just my 2 cents.
I think that is the way that I am leaning. I have an excelon mono sub amp and either two JL 10s or 1 pioneer primer 12" in a sealed box. Not sure which way I want to go yet.

But do you know if it is possible to run an aftermarket 4 chan. amp on the factory speakers without the factory HU? I would like to replace that HU if at all possible.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Can't answer the amp question but I am sure that someone else will. As I understand it from SilverKnight, the stock amp is the weekness though...

From all my research, if you go single woofer, get a 12". Did you buy the woofer yet?? I am an Ebay junkie. Polk Momo 12" go for about $175 and Solobaric L7s for $220.

I got the Solobaric and am sold. Very very clean sound.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:09 AM
Drifting

You can keep the stock HU with no major problems...might have a slight hiss like silver said. Dont use the blows speakers or amp...just get new ones and do a sub...you will get the best sound out that way with out having to loose the stock look. You can also add EQ's above the radio if you dont have a navi...they really help you adjust your system to your likeing. Check the sig
Old 12-28-2001, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

I am new to the message board and somewhat new to the car so perhaps this has already been asked/answered. I would like to start by replacing just the OEM power amplifier. Eventually everything will probably be replaced but doing things in steps should be easier on the wallet.

However, is there an electrical connector out there that would plug into the factory harness (at the amplifier connector) that has a pigtail on the other end to make it easier to hookup an aftermarket amplifier? Brand name? Model number?

I would assume that the factory amplifier wiring harness plug is "female" since it has the 12V power line for the amplifier. Therefore a "male" aftermarket plug would be needed.

If no aftermarket plugs are available then certainly I could cut up the factory wiring harness but I would like to preserve the factory harness for when I get rid of the car - put the stock stuff back in it before I sell it.