Review - USA-SPEC PA11-HON2 in a 2006 Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:53 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebay for kit

just bought the usa-spec off ebay and installed it in my '04 non-navi. installation was a breeze and it works exactly as said in this thread. you can control the volume and change tracks using the stereo controls. i wish it would display track names but i can live without that. the sound quality is superb.

now my only dilemma is where to run the dock connector cable.....

thanks everyone for their help. these forums are awesome.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
seems like better unit than the Sound Gate aux converter.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Cruisin'

Ok question.

I have a 06 Canadian TSX with navi and aux port[in the arm rest] but no stock XM. Would this unit still work? I am looking to hook up an xm commander in the near future, so can the extra aux on the module be used for that, and still retain the aux port in the arm rest for other uses?

Will I require any of those y connectors?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it will still work... get the PA11-HON2y and you won't need anything else.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Installed mine a few weeks ago. Works great! Only thing I noticed was that the RCA input seemed noticeably quieter than the iPod input. I really had to crank the volume on the HU (to about 50%) to get the same volume as through the iPod input (which was at roughly 20%). Not a big deal since I have an iPod anyways, and I can crank the volume on the source that the RCA will be going into.

I ran my cabling into my glove box (so I can lock my iPod in there if I brought it along). I ran it out the back, and tucked it inside the trim and then into my glove box. I had to pop out the glove box (the same way as you would when changing the cabin filter) to get access to the back, but now the install looks nice and clean and wouldn't know it's even there!

Last edited by syee99; 03-20-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

Install in Center Console

Can anyone who has installed one in the center console give me advice on how to route the cable.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

under the storage pockets, under the shifter, and into the bottom pocket through the trim piece that holds the cig lighter and aux input jack.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:23 PM
STi'd

has anyone noticed how many pins your PA11-HON2y connectors have? Mine has 14 however when I tried to install it, it seems the stock radio connector is wider (perhaps 16 pins). Right now I'm puzzled as to what I'm doing wrong. Do I have the wrong cable?

04 non-navi here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gavin
Old 04-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gavinn58
has anyone noticed how many pins your PA11-HON2y connectors have? Mine has 14 however when I tried to install it, it seems the stock radio connector is wider (perhaps 16 pins). Right now I'm puzzled as to what I'm doing wrong. Do I have the wrong cable?

04 non-navi here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gavin

I have an 04 non-navi and it worked fine. The connector goes into an open connector (nothing plugged into it) on the bottom of the radio. You can see it easily with a mirror.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
STi'd

Originally Posted by spotcheckwilly
I have an 04 non-navi and it worked fine. The connector goes into an open connector (nothing plugged into it) on the bottom of the radio. You can see it easily with a mirror.
I don't seem to have an open connector. I have something plugged into it (when I unplug it and plug it back in I can hear the cd changer activate and I need to enter my radio code). Is there an additional port to this one? Granted I haven't used a mirror since I can't seem to find one but I've been trying to feel along the whole length of the bottom of the radio and can't seem to find anything else.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

That's the one gavinn58, the plug is occupied on all TSX except the 04 non-navi. Try using a mirror to see whats going on down there better. You should disconnect that plug and plug it into the open spot on the pa11-hon2y, and plut the usa spec into the now-empty connector.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:57 PM
STi'd

Hmm, I've tried that and it just doesn't seem to fit. Like i said it's almost as if the OEM plug is a different size than the pa11-hon2y. I don't want to break/bend the pins either.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Get a mirror and make sure. Or, take the plug out and compare the plug that was in there with the one you are trying to plug in. I and others have had no problems. There is always the slim chance you have a defective unit (wrong/bad plug) but I would examine everything closely with a mirror first.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:37 PM
STi'd

I'll try that, thanks a lot.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 PM
10th Gear

The auxiliary plug for the 2004 non-navi should not be occupied. It is located just underneath the radio. You can't miss it if you use a mirror to look. Whatever you unplugged should not have been unplugged, at least not on the 2004 non-navi. Only the navi units use the auxiliary plug, hence the need for the Y cable.

You MUST MUST MUST use a mirror to look at the underneath of the radio/heat/cooling controls to see the auxiliary port.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 PM
DPZ
Advanced

I have the USA-SPEC and love it. I'm interested in putting a bluetooth system in as well. Both the Parrot CK3100 and the Motorola IHF1000 seem to have harness kits, which I assume would plug into the same port that the USA-SPEC and harness use. I used the Y harness as I have Navigation as well in my 2004 TSX.

So question is whether I can add a bluetooth system with harness and keep functionality of the Nav and the USA-SPEC? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've searched but I didn't find an answer to this question so, here goes:

How important is it to remove all the CDs from the HU before you connect the PA11-Hon2y? I read this in the instructions AFTER I installed it in my TSX.

I noticed that my iPod is on CD-C disc 5 instead of 6, like most people say that their disk is on, and I cannot change to any other discs in the CD-C but disc 5 and 6 (I have the hybrid one and it's on Direct Mode, not Playlist/Hybrid mode).

Anyway, I went back to my CDs and they all played, no problem. However, I noticed that when I switch out of CD-C it disapears and I cannot select it from the top tabs but instead have to hit the mode button on the steering wheel and it comes after XM2 (is this normal?).

Thanks for your help
Old 05-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Normal on all counts. You do not have to remove your CDs from your HU when installing. You're on CD-5 because you've got the aux port enabled via the dip switches, and that input is CD-6. If you turn it off, you'll be on CD-6 the whole time, which will be the iPod. If you use playlist mode, thats when you will utilize CD-1 thru CD-6 to access your first 6 playlists on your iPod.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It makes perfect sense. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't "F" something up, ya know?

You know what they say, "Experience is what you gain after you've put something together without reading the instructions," lol
Old 05-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Figured i might as well ask here as well...

I have an 07' TSX navi with xm. I'm seeing here that the "y" version usa-spec adapter no longer needs a separate patch cable. Thats great if true.

Questions:
The annoying chick on the neocaraudio google video installs the ipod link and the adapter goes through the lamp hole inside the dash bin.. is that the typical install method for the usa-spec as well and won't mess anything up? I was thinking the neo and the usa-spec were identical but i think i was mistaken.. its the DICE and neo that are indentical, right? i couldnt figure out if the neo and usa-spec were the same why she didnt mess with the back of the radio... duh

just wondered if this one installs cosmetically the same.. no drilling to fit it inside the dash bin, etc.

Any help appreciated.

Oh yeah i had one last question. the bug when you turn the car on with the XM crossover.. was that fixed with the "y" version?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MeHoo
Oh yeah i had one last question. the bug when you turn the car on with the XM crossover.. was that fixed with the "y" version?
That is actually a problem with the TSX XM unit. Only a few cars were effected (and mine was one of them) and they were all early 2006 models. The dealer performed a TSB and replaced my XM receiver unit (a small box on the side of the trunk, not realted to the HU) and I have not had a single issue since.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Racer

I can confirm that the Dice and Neo units are one and the same.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Instructor

nevermind, thanks

Last edited by MeHoo; 05-22-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Got mine from crutchfield.

Installed easily. I have an 07 tsx navi.

The bin pulls out easily. Only thing to note is that it was hitting my manual shifter in park slightly so i had to wiggle a bit and felt like i was gonna break something. it was all ok though. Best to just hang that bin off the driver side of the console so its out of the way IMO.

The plug was on the bottom of the head unit which is great because if it was at the back it would suck. When you look into the empty space the cable you want IS the cable you see right in the middle. I am not sure about how the manual says what they are, but i say female plugs are the ones that ACCEPT the other ones, meaning the male plugs INTO the female. makes sense, but in the computer world and others they go off of the PINS not the adapter which screws me all up. So i'm clear, im calling the male adapter the end that goes into the other. i believe the "lock" on the plug is on the front so squeeze when you pull and it should come out easily. plug that into the female part on the y cable [mine had a sticker on the female end from factory that said remove before use.. duh], and then plug the male end of the y cable into where you just pulled the other one from. be careful those pins look REAL flimsy so make sure it slides into the plug nicely before you push hard. I found the plug with my hands by feeling for the hole with the two little slashes of plastic. for some reason those stood out more than anything else. hope that makes sense.

I put the usa-spec unit on the driver side of the open area and slid it down that side wall with the ipod connector on the bottom and the radio side on the top, also with the flat side of the usa-spec unit on the driver side. This makes more sense once you do it. Mine slid down completely out of the way and fit snug. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the cd bin and it wasnt big enough for the small end of the ipod cable so i kept dremeling away until it fit. that was simple enough. you could get away with removing material from the lamp socket but i felt the chance of it being a nice fit with material gone was not good and i didnt want a loose bin lamp in there so i just drilled into the back of the bin. Also if i accidentally tug on the cable i dont want to rip my lamp out.

One thing i want to note.. make sure when not in use [if installed in the cd bin] that the flat ipod end of the cable does NOT get in between the door and the bin itself.. it will prevent the door from being pushed in and unlatched so it can open again. not a huge problem but i noticed that could be a problem. just make sure the cable is out of the way once installed. Basically make sure when not in use the cable is pushed all the way into the bin.

Some thing i noticed was CD-C is not the in-dash cd mode. you still have complete access to your cd's as well as xm and aux. I was curious if this killed off my in dash cd changer but it does not. this unit ADDS another input not previously there. I know this may seem obvious to some, but it was on the top of my list of questions when i received the unit.

Sound quality is excellent and while i feel XM is a tad too quiet in this car with the windows all down goin 70 down the freeway, this is comparable volume-wise to the cd mode so all is well. One thing to note is that when I start the car i get a split second of audio then nothing, then like 2-3 seconds later it actually starts up. could be how my ipod is set up but im not sure. not a huge deal.

Oh and my last comment will be.. Directmode for the win. If i want playlists i'll browse to them manually and hit play. Like reach said.. the dipswitches are weird. i didnt use aux so i left that one on [weird] and turned the direct mode off i think it was.

ah well hope this helps someone.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:45 PM
8th Gear

Do you still have steering wheel controls with the rca inputs or just with the i-pod connection?? Am I correct in assuming that if i use a non-ipod mp3 player i will lose that feature??

Also how is the sound quality using the rca's when using lets say an mp3 player or a pc??

Thanks for your info in advance.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Racer

No, you will not have any controls with the RCA port.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Just installed usa-spec on my 04 tsx / non-navi. awesome!!!
because canada's usa-spec distributor is out of stock, i had to purchase one from e-bay.

The unit now comes in hybrid mode, which i think is excellent in that it provides playlist mode / direct control of your ipod. In this mode, you can control your ipod and play it through your stereo while it is hooked up.

I bought it for 150 USD including shipping. best purchase ever.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:12 PM
4th Gear

USA SPEC pa11 HON2y background high pitched noise

I had the USA SPEC pa11h2y professionally installed on my 2006 Acura RL. When I play the ipod there is a high pitched background noise. I spoke with USA SPEC and they told me that from my description of the problem it appears that I am getting this noise as a result of the charging of my ipod. The noise is only present when I play the ipod on the radio but not from the XM, CD, Radio. And the noise goes away for a few moments after I press the next track from the steering wheel button and then returns. Crutchfield had me do a couple of attempts at a fix but to no avail. USA SPEC will be sending me a unit that they will disable the ipod charging and they believe that this will fix my problem. I will post a follow up when I get the new unit in the car and see if it fixes it. The sound quality is very diminished with this feedback noise so if this does not fix the problem I will not be able to use this unit. I saw a few posts elsewhere with this same problem so I figured I'd post it right here.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear

Just installed USA SPEC PA11-HON2y, but noisy

I just had a professional place install the USA SPEC PA11-HON2y on my 2007 Accord Coupe, EX-L. The functionality is all there. I wish it didn't take about 30 seconds to start up the iPod every time I connect it to the stereo, but it is nice that it pauses and starts up on its own when I turn off the car or switch modes. I also wish that the iPod would work when I use an Apple branded dock. For some reason, the connection gets lost somewhere when the iPod cable connects to the dock that the iPod is sitting inside.

Music sounds great on it, but when I listen to a talk show on my iPod, I hear noise. The guy at the car stereo place put the USA SPEC box under the elbow rest and routed cables up to the back of the CD cabinet on the center console. I had an 11/16" hole drilled with a rubber grommet into the back of the CD cabinet and routed the iPod cable out through that hole.

Any ideas why the noise would be present? Perhaps there is not enough shielding or there are interferences occurring with the wire routing going everywhere?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CAman81
I just had a professional place install the USA SPEC PA11-HON2y on my 2007 Accord Coupe, EX-L. The functionality is all there. I wish it didn't take about 30 seconds to start up the iPod every time I connect it to the stereo, but it is nice that it pauses and starts up on its own when I turn off the car or switch modes. I also wish that the iPod would work when I use an Apple branded dock. For some reason, the connection gets lost somewhere when the iPod cable connects to the dock that the iPod is sitting inside.

Music sounds great on it, but when I listen to a talk show on my iPod, I hear noise. The guy at the car stereo place put the USA SPEC box under the elbow rest and routed cables up to the back of the CD cabinet on the center console. I had an 11/16" hole drilled with a rubber grommet into the back of the CD cabinet and routed the iPod cable out through that hole.

Any ideas why the noise would be present? Perhaps there is not enough shielding or there are interferences occurring with the wire routing going everywhere?
I realized when the noise begins to occur. Whenever the backlight goes off, the noise increases dramatically. It's weird. I can just leave the backlight on all the time to fix this issue but at night time I don't want that much light shining in my eyes.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear

Obviously, I got into this a bit late, but I was wondering if someone with more experience could chip in his/her expertise. I am going to install the USA SPEC PA11-HON2y in my '04 TSX, and I was wondering if I'd have to unplug the battery to get this done. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhlee1974
Obviously, I got into this a bit late, but I was wondering if someone with more experience could chip in his/her expertise. I am going to install the USA SPEC PA11-HON2y in my '04 TSX, and I was wondering if I'd have to unplug the battery to get this done. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can let me know. Thanks!
Nope - I didn't unplug my battery to do this and it works fine.

It makes it easier to work/pull out the compartment if you can move your shifter to D (just use the shifter override button to shift it without starting the car). Remember to stick some blocks behind your wheels to stop them from rolling though!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Professional Newbie

I have an '04 w/ Navi and I'm currently using a SNHOND adapter (I think it's by Soundgate). I like it a lot because I just leave the iPod in my cupholder and can manipulate it quite easily without looking.

The only real potential for improvement I see here is the extra set of AUX inputs on this unit. I dont really understand what they do and I was hoping somebody could explain. I am considering adding HD radio to my TSX, but my iPod is currently occupying the only AUX input I have. I could get a splitter/selector, but they are all rather space-consuming and would introduce more noise into the system. Does this unit automatically switch between the iPod connector and the aux input based on signal sensing? Also, is there a gain control on the unit so you can match the volume level to the other inputs on your head unit?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by syee99
Nope - I didn't unplug my battery to do this and it works fine.

It makes it easier to work/pull out the compartment if you can move your shifter to D (just use the shifter override button to shift it without starting the car). Remember to stick some blocks behind your wheels to stop them from rolling though!
Thank you very much for the info, syee99!

Last edited by jhlee1974; 01-30-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

I'm trying to install USA spec on my 04 TSX non-navi, i was wondering where did you guys run the cable through? the fake red ashtray? or the component above it? Also how do you remove the component? I have no idea, is there a button or switch to loosen a hold?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CraZydudE
I'm trying to install USA spec on my 04 TSX non-navi, i was wondering where did you guys run the cable through? the fake red ashtray? or the component above it? Also how do you remove the component? I have no idea, is there a button or switch to loosen a hold?
I ran mine behind the dash into the glovebox. It's fairly easy to run it into there, plus there's the added advantage of it (the glovebox) being lockable if you want it secured.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by syee99
I ran mine behind the dash into the glovebox. It's fairly easy to run it into there, plus there's the added advantage of it (the glovebox) being lockable if you want it secured.
I ran mine to the center console which is nice since it's a little easier to reach while your driving. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the center console box and ran the cable through.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Originally Posted by kahunamike
I ran mine to the center console which is nice since it's a little easier to reach while your driving. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the center console box and ran the cable through.
How did you detach the center console to reach the internal radio plugs?? I'm trying to run it through the storage pocket right under the audio panel. Step by step instructions or pix would be highly appreciated
Old 07-16-2008, 05:32 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CraZydudE
How did you detach the center console to reach the internal radio plugs?? I'm trying to run it through the storage pocket right under the audio panel. Step by step instructions or pix would be highly appreciated
Sorry unfortunately I deleted those links on my computer when I finished installing it. It's pretty easy though. you have to remove the plastic surrounding the gear shift to get the wire through. I was able to jam the usa-spec in the side of the CD pocket (underneath the stereo) and then secured it with cable ties. Haha. Just make sure it's secure and the wire doesn't get loose, otherwise you'll have intermittent control of your ipod. That happenedt to me. If you do a search in these forums you should be able to find the instructions on how to remove the center console.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

Removing cd holder under radio

How do I remove the cd holder under the radio?