Review - USA-SPEC PA11-HON2 in a 2006 Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this for real?

I just found this thread and I've been impatiently waiting for something that I could install for my ipod. Just so I'm clear:

I've got an '05 TSX with Navigation.

1) I can install this with the Y cable AND still be able to listen to XM AND my ipod. I don't need some kind of toggle switch to switch between XM and the ipod?

2) There's is no "bleed over" problems or volume issues with this while using the Y adapter.

3) Is there any engine whine issues?

If you have XM and the ipod hooked up, what's your opinon?

Wow! If this works like it sounds like it might, I need to rush to buy one!

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Racer

1) I don't use XM so I can't attest to whether or not it works. I let the trial run out and haven't
touched it since.
2) No sound issues once you make sure it's plugged in correctly.
3) No engine whine.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Advanced

How's the performance this unit? Is there a delay between switching tracks?

Thanks for the help! I'm starting to get excited that I might actually get to have an ipod in my TSX!
Old 08-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Small delay (<1 sec) between switching tracks with steering wheel controls, but it works in direct or not-direct mode (very cool).

No engine whine. No bleedover once you've got the thing going, but, the first time you plug your ipod into it (each time), you need to cycle through the inputs once to get it to work properly (otherwise slight bleedover).

But, its still working as advertised. Its the best thing out there, even with the minor inconvenience of cycling through inputs once. Sound quality is great, which is really why you should get it.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:38 AM
tsxer

i replaced my "acura music link" pos with the usa spec in my 05 w/ navi.....it works great, but the only thing the acura piece did better was to show the track numbers on the ipod....also you could do a limited search of the ipod on the radio controls....but the usa spec does not lock up and it works all the time....btw, i finally let my xm lapse, so i unplugged the box in the trunk so i can now skip that source- it goes either cd or cd-changer(ipod).....cool......
Old 08-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Advanced

I'm Excited!

Just go my PA11-Hon2 delivered! Going to hook it up right now. Wish me luck!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:55 PM

good luck! tell us how it goes
Old 08-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Did It!

Okay! Got my PA11-HOND2 in today and hooked it up. So far this thing is awesome! It works exactly like it's advertised. I've got an '05 TSX W/Nav. I'm excited that my XM still works! Really no delay in switching tracks (other than the delay that the iPod has when you're switching tracks too fast). The volume is great too!

I've got a question:

1) What do you have your Bass and Treble set at on the factory unit?
2) Which EQ preset do you have selected on the iPod?

I'm trying to find the best combination.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Instructor

do you need to use the touch screen to operate or control this device? will this work with non-navi model?
Old 08-14-2006, 03:37 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Fuzzynoise,

Where did you buy from ?
What was the total cost with the Y-Harness included?
Did you install yourself, or have someone do it 4 you?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear

2006 Acura TL with Navi

Currently thinking of getting this for my new lease, I don't want to void any warranty. Can anyone let me know how easy this is to install and if I can get away with having this on a 3 year lease vehicle? From reading all the posts it seems like the best option for the ipod. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Fuzzynoise,

Where did you buy from ?
What was the total cost with the Y-Harness included?
Did you install yourself, or have someone do it 4 you?

I bought it from http://www.discountcarstereo.com. I paid priority shipping. Cost me $200 with the harness.

Actually, I did it my self. It was a breeze. Really just took a few minutes. So far, it works like a charm!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
sorry for being such a noob but what's the point of getting this for a 2006 TSX when it already has the aux input for IPOD connection?? Beside a slightly better sound quality and ability to switch tracks with stock headunit, what other benefits do you get for $200 down the drain??
Old 08-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Use of steering wheel controls for volume and change of track as well as switching to it or other sources.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Can it control Winamp via a carpc instead?

I have an 06 TSX with nav and I am currently building my carpc. After reading this, I am thinking that it may be better to use this device for the aux input from the PC rather than the stock aux input in the center console. However the only way it would actually be better is if you could do the same thing with a computer connection as it does with the iPod, control tracks and such from the steering wheel.

Has anyone had experience using this device to control winamp (or similar pc media app) instead of an iPod?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
sorry for being such a noob but what's the point of getting this for a 2006 TSX when it already has the aux input for IPOD connection?? Beside a slightly better sound quality and ability to switch tracks with stock headunit, what other benefits do you get for $200 down the drain??

I don't have an '06. My TSX is an '05 with Nav, so I didn't have any additional audio inputs. I'd imagine that using the AUX inputs with an '06, you'd still have to plug your ipod into the power adapter to keep it charged. This unit, in addition to giving you usage of your steering wheel controls and better audio quality, also keep your ipod charged. I just drilled a hole in the back of my CD holder compartment and put my iPod in there. Very discreet and clean.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by fuzzynoise
I bought it from http://www.discountcarstereo.com. I paid priority shipping. Cost me $200 with the harness.

Actually, I did it my self. It was a breeze. Really just took a few minutes. So far, it works like a charm!

Thanks Fuzzy, just the info I needed.

I can't seem to find a wireless remote for the Nano, so I am probably going to get this, as I can use it with a Nano, ot a full size Ipod if I get one.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:40 PM
06 TSX/5AT/M. Red/Ebony

USA-Spec Installation on '06 TSX

I just installed this unit (PA11-HON2) in my '06 TSX with a little issue. The plug that I used was for the XM radio (I guess. no CD-C plug that I could find). It was plugged straight up into the bottom of the radio (above the CD pocket holder). The PA11-HON2 I got from Crutchfield came with an extra plug integrated into the radio-side cable. Once I figured out (by guessing because I could not see under the head unit) which cable I needed, I disconnected it and plugged it into the female end of the adaptor and replaced it with the male end of the USA-SPec adaptor.

The radio-side USA-Spec adaptor that I got has three ends. The din connection for the USA-Spec unit, a female end for the original XM radio connection and a male end to plug back into the bottom of the radio. There was a "note" in the packaging stating that an additional adaptor would not be needed for XM radio to work.

I also decided to drill a 5/8" hole in the back of CD pocket holder to route the iPod connector through. That way I could pull the iPod out and dial in whatever I want.

I noticed that when I had the USA-Spec dip switch set to be "slave" or direct mode, that the only way I could advance to another HONDA# playlist was to use the Disc-/+ buttons (5 or 6). The 1-4 preset buttons did nothing. The Seek (on the head unit) and the steering wheel controls worked fine for advancing tracks.

Unfortunately, I screwed up my cup holder while trying to take the console plate out. The gear that controls the speed at which the door opens came off some how and while trying to figure out how to put it back on, I bent the arm that the gear goes on out of alignment. The killer is that I did even really need to take it out. That is after I decide to not route the iPod connector to the armrest. Oh well.

The only down side I has seen so far is that the AUX option on the head unit is no longe available. The CD/XM/AUX button just cycles through XM1/XM2/CDC now. No biggie for me. I guess I could use the AUX inputs on the USA-Spec unit if need be.

Robb
Old 08-25-2006, 11:13 PM
DPZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by CDR
I even called the USA-SPEC office before installing to ask about a rotary control on the module that wasn't shown in the diagrams. Talked with someone knowledgable there, who also gave me the impression that if I had a problem they would be eager to help.
Does anyone know what the rotary control does?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:33 PM
CDR
Instructor

Originally Posted by DPZ
Does anyone know what the rotary control does?
Been a while since I talked with USA-Spec, but my recollection is it changes the interface bus address of the module. No change is needed for the TSX, leave it as shipped.

I called them about it prior to my installation, thinking it might relate to the analog output volume and need adjustment. But it doesn't.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

What is the difference between Playlist mode and Direct Access mode?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:06 AM
DPZ
Advanced

Agree with the recommentations on this thread. This adapter is awesome. The FM transmitter I'd been using was okay but this is much better. Have a 2004 TSX w/nav. Installed the PA11-HON2 and a Y cable. Drilled a hole in the CD storage bin and whittled down the plastic sides of the plug a bit to make it fit through. I built up a ridge of electrical tape on the cable between the ipod and the adapter so that the cable can't be pulled out. Seems to hold it well although everything is pretty snug back there anyway.

Thanks CDR for the info.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wlhagan3
The only down side I has seen so far is that the AUX option on the head unit is no longe available. The CD/XM/AUX button just cycles through XM1/XM2/CDC now. No biggie for me. I guess I could use the AUX inputs on the USA-Spec unit if need be.

Robb
Something is wrong with your setup then, and I'm apt to blame crutchfield and whatever connector they gave you, because it doesn't sounds like the right pie interface. Also, you will need to have XM connected with the proper y-cable to retain AUX. I still have every input working (including AUX, XM1, XM2, CD, CD-C, etc...) and no problems to date with it.

edit: don't forget you have to actually have something plugged into the AUX for it to switch to it on the 06!
Old 08-28-2006, 03:25 PM
06 TSX/5AT/M. Red/Ebony

Reach-

Not having the AUX jack in use makes sense. I will try that.

Robb
Old 08-28-2006, 06:05 PM
06 TSX/5AT/M. Red/Ebony

Originally Posted by wlhagan3
Reach-

Not having the AUX jack in use makes sense. I will try that.

Robb
Reach-

You were correct. Having the iPod plugged in the AUX jack "activated" the option on the headunit.

Thanks.

Robb
Old 09-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Instructor

pop quiz....

after the ipod is plugged into the PA11-HON2,

does the headphone/video output still work???
Old 09-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Intermediate

Your audio screens look different than mine. Does the adapter change them somehow?

Originally Posted by djpinoy
... looks like Reach's advice solved my issues

So I'll give another thumbs up for the USA SPEC PA11-HON2. Here are a couple other observations about the unit:

* When the unit is in "Direct Mode", the remaining "discs" can not be accessed (i.e. you can't get BOTH the playlists on CDs1-5 AND direct mode on CD6. Just either one OR the other)

* Since I have Nav, I had to use the "Y-Cable". To hook this up, you need to plug the female (single) end into the bottom of the radio (after removing the center console pocket, etc.) There will be two male connectors remaining - plug the original system cable into one and the USA SPEC's cable into the other.

* Yes - the USA SPEC transmits the true LINE OUT of the iPod. Changing the volume on the iPod has NO EFFECT during playback - all volume control is left to the stock radio. Sound quality is excellent: I've had no humming or ground loop noise, so no need for a GLI, etc.

* The track number that will be reported on your headunit is essentially meaningless: it does not necessarily keep track of your position within a particular playlist. Instead, it simply increments by one if you do a "track forward" on your steering wheel controls/head unit or decrements by one if you do a "track backward". In other words, navigating through the menus and choosing another playlist will not reset the track number on the head unit (yeah - it's really no big deal to me - but just another observation I wanted to point out).

All in all, thanks to 04rob, Reach, elduderino (even though we didn't end up buying the units from him), and everyone else for sheding some light on the USA SPEC PA11-HON2.

Good luck,
djpinoy

Old 09-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

No, that's an 04/05 and I'm guessing you have an 06. The screens did change across the model years.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

Will The Y Cable Work With Non-navi Units To Keep Xm....thats My Only Question. I Have The Pac Aux Adaptor W/ A Drive And Play And Lost My Xm So Im Thinking About Purchasing The Y Cable To Connect It Back Up....please Someone Lmk...thanx
Old 09-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know if this has been answered or not but in direct mode can you go through all of the playlists on the Ipod? Or do you have to choose the playlist on the Ipod first and then you can change songs? Also playlist mode says it supports 5 playlists which ones does it know how to choose, thanks.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Direct mode works just as you said... you pick playlist/artist/album, then you can track +/- through the list.

In Playlist mode, it works off playlists called HON1, HON2, HON3, etc... Its up to you to setup those playlists.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by Reach
Direct mode works just as you said... you pick playlist/artist/album, then you can track +/- through the list.

In Playlist mode, it works off playlists called HON1, HON2, HON3, etc... Its up to you to setup those playlists.
So do I create those playlists in ITunes on my computer (HON1, HON2...), or are they only accessible when plugged into the Hon2 unit?
Old 09-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Instructor

got mine yesterday!! be installing later, have picture up this weekend.. thanx for the quick shipping!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:32 PM
06 TSX/5AT/M. Red/Ebony

Originally Posted by stogie1020
So do I create those playlists in ITunes on my computer (HON1, HON2...), or are they only accessible when plugged into the Hon2 unit?
You have to create the playlists in iTunes. In playlist mode, those are the only items you will have "access" to as far as selecting songs for playback. You will be able to skip -/+ through them and switch amoung them. In Direct mode you will have greater flexibility with no "preset" or specific playlists.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Well after reading many posts and talking to elduderino I think am going to go ahead and go for the Dice instead of the USA-SPEC. It allows full control over all of the playlists on the Ipod instead of just 5, and also I don't want to keep digging for my ipod everytime I want to change playlists on the Ipod in manual mode. Hopefully I am making a good decision. It's only $30 more and I would gladly pay it to get what I want.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:54 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If you don't like it, you have 30 days to swap it back for a USA SPEC and the difference back.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Instructor

best thing i've ever purchased for my ipod, even better than my shure e2c headphones! sorry i don't have pictures of the install because it only took 10 minutes or less! this unit gives a whole new meaning to plug and play!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:40 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdmturtleracin
this unit gives a whole new meaning to plug and play!
Not in the TLit doesn't : )

Glad you like it!
Old 12-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ninjamyst

for me, a big reason i wanted this unit was that it starts the ipod when you turn the car on. before getting it, i had to open the arm rest every time i got into my car (which could put some considerable wear on the latches and the hinges).

another reason is of course the ability to switch songs with the steering wheel controls.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:59 AM
pdp
Intermediate

im selling this and the y adapter cable in the black market in case someone reading wants to pick one up.

Quick Reply: Review - USA-SPEC PA11-HON2 in a 2006 Acura TSX