Review - USA-SPEC PA11-HON2 in a 2006 Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Review - USA-SPEC PA11-HON2 in a 2006 Acura TSX

This device gets a big from me. It adds CD-C mode to the selectable audio input options, and keeps stock XM & AUX input functionality!

On the navi-equipped models (such as mine) you will not see the CD-C tag on the touchscreen, but if you cycle audio modes with the buttons, it will pop up between XM2 and AUX.

==========

The 1 and ONLY problem I have experienced so far: When you turn the car on (each time), whatever station was last playing on XM2 will bleed over into the new CD-C mode. Cycling through inputs back to CD-C will clear this issue and you can use either the iPod of AUX input functionlaity with crystal clear audio. I am very impressed with the quality I can achieve with both iPod and DVD (via playstation to USA SPEC input). All this while retaining full functionality and sound quality for all stock features. (2004+ Honda PIE Y-cable required for navi/xm)

*edit: This issue has since been fixed by a Acura TSB. It only effects certain early production 2006 models, all other will be fine. If this issue happens to you, with any aux solution, take your car to the dealer and reproduce the symptoms for them, and they will replace your faulty XM receiver, which is causing the bleedover.*

==========

I've never before wished a device had LESS features, but this one actually has so many, it becomes complicated!

First off, the dip switches.
The #1 dip switch enables/disables the RCA aux input. This is a little confusing though, since the dip switch in "on" (default) is actualy DISABLES the input, and the dip switch in the "off" position ENABLES the input. To access the audio on this input, turn the CD-C to CD 6.

The #2 dip switch enables/disables DIRECT MODE vs. PLAYLIST MODE for the iPod. The "on" position (default) ENABLES playlist mode, and the "off" position DISABLES playlist mode, which allows for direct iPod navigation and use (this is my preference).

So, since I prefer Direct iPod mode, and need the extra RCA aux input, I set both dip switches to "off" position, and it works like a charm.

==========

What else does it do? Everything! In addition to charging your iPod (always!) it resumes (plays) the iPod when you switch the input to CD-C, and pauses playback when you switch off of it. Switch back to it, and BAM, it resumes right were you left off. Its like an actual CD changer!

Whats more, even with the iPod in 'direct' mode, my steering wheel track +/- controls can change the track! This was truly an unexpected surprise when I discovered this after installing. It is not documented to behave like this, but it works for me! So, I can pick an album to play using the iPod, put the iPod back in the center console, and shift tracks around to my hearts content. Very nicely done, USA SPEC!

==========

So, right now I'm positively glowing about this purchase, and wish I had gotten it sooner. My car has more audio modes than my home receiver now.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Who-Dey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Review Reach! I can't wait to get mine (tomorrow 5-25) and get dom's navi to dvd module and start watching movies in my car. Did you install the US Spec yourself, or have a shop do the install?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Reach, I gotta see the setup in your car.

When are we gonna get together to do the window up module? You waiting until the meet in June?
Old 05-24-2006, 06:46 PM
TL no more!

Oh cool!! I'm also getting mine with the Y-cable for the XM functionality for my '06 Accord too. It'll be here tomorrow and can't wait to install it this weekend.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

CG, I'm up for doing it sooner. My new speakers are en route via super slow UPS ground shipping from Cali, so maybe next weekend would be a good time? If I'm stripping door panels then I'm stripping door panels.. nah mean?

I've done 100% of the work on my car myself. This is an install you can easily do yourself.

Time to go remove my glovebox and do some more retrofitting
I've caught the bug... hard.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Reach
CG, I'm up for doing it sooner. My new speakers are en route via super slow UPS ground shipping from Cali, so maybe next weekend would be a good time? If I'm stripping door panels then I'm stripping door panels.. nah mean?

I've done 100% of the work on my car myself. This is an install you can easily do yourself.

Time to go remove my glovebox and do some more retrofitting
I've caught the bug... hard.
Lemme know when your speakers arrive and we'll set up a time. I figure this should be quick once we figure out which wires are which...
Old 05-24-2006, 08:35 PM

Nicee write up Reach...how much did it cost u for the kit??
Old 05-25-2006, 10:47 PM
abs
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Reach
==========

The #1 dip switch enables/disables the RCA aux input. This is a little confusing though, since the dip switch in "on" (default) is actualy DISABLES the input, and the dip switch in the "off" position ENABLES the input. To access the audio on this input, turn the CD-C to CD 6.
What exactly does it mean "To access the audio on this input, turn the CD-C to CD6?" Does that mean the AUX on the USA SPEC is not on "CD-C", but on Disc 6 in "CD" mode? And does that mean the iPod is accessed in direct mode on "CD-C"?

Great review, thanks for doing it. I may just have to take the plunge here!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Senior Moderator

CD-C stands for "CD-Changer" and it emulates just that. It tricks the head unit into thinking that a 6-disc external cd changer is attached, this is different than the in-dash 6 cd changer.

So, CD-1 thru CD-5 on the 'CD-C' input refer to selectable playlists on the iPod. CD-6 is reserved for the aux input.

If I had changed the dip switch to disable the RCA inputs, CD-1 thru CD-6 would refer to 6 selectable iPod playlists instead of 5. However, when used in Direct Mode like I do (vs. playlist mode) CD-1 thru CD-5 are all just straight iPod input, and you select the songs/album via the iPod. Hope that clears it up.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:43 AM
abs
Cruisin'

Thanks for the reply! Just to clarify (and I think I've got it), when selected, the "CD-C" input has 6 CD's to choose from that are completely different from the in-dash 6 CD changer. If one wanted to listen to the AUX on the USA-SPEC, you would select CD-6 from the CD-C input. Right?

One other thing since I'm here - is the volume level comparable (high enough) to the in dash CD changer?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 01:11 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a very nice setup you have there Reach
Old 06-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Intermediate

Angry Charging issues...

Reach,

I just got around to installing my USA SPEC PA11-HON2 today and it looks like I'm having some small issues with it. I too have mine in "Direct Mode" plus "Aux In Enabled" (both DIP switches off). The steering wheel controls work as advertised, but there seems to be an issue with charging...

I've found sometimes that when it is conntected to the PA11-HON2, my iPod will get into a state where it rapidly switches back and forth between "charging" and "battery power". (That is, the battery icon in the upper right corner of my iPod screen will switch back and forth between the battery and the battery + lightning bolt.) After a few times, it seems like it just gives up and stays on "battery power" (no charging). I can usually get the iPod into this state if I try to navigate through a few menus directly on the iPod (still experimenting to see if I can narrow down exactly what's causing it).

Just wanted to see if you (or anyone else using the USA SPEC PA11-HON2) had similar issues. I have an '04 TSX w/ Nav (so I'm using the Y-cable) with a 3G 10GB iPod (Firmware v2.3). Would appreciate it if you could let me know your exact setup.

Thanks,
djpinoy
Old 06-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

djpinoy,

I haven't had any issues around the charging of the iPod, sorry to hear that your does.
3 things I can think of:

1. Check and re-seat all cables, the Y-cable, the PIE to usa spec cable, and especially the ipod cable to usa spec box. This cable easily falls out of its connector on my unit, I actually electrical taped it in place to prevent it from falling out.

2. If you are running a ridiculous system (1000+ watts) check your voltages while under load. If its not getting enough power, or not consistently, this could be an issue.

3. Cable seating with the iPod itself. Check for dirt in the dock connector area, and make sure no pins are bent on the dock connector of the usa spec.

If this doesn't work, call usa spec, they may be able to help you diagnose it. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Hi Reach,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still troubleshooting the thing and will look into the connectors themselves. I'm just running the stock amp/head unit so nothing funny there... but I'm glad to hear that your setup is running well.

Thanks again,
djpinoy
Old 06-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up A couple wiggles here and there and...

... looks like Reach's advice solved my issues

So I'll give another thumbs up for the USA SPEC PA11-HON2. Here are a couple other observations about the unit:

* When the unit is in "Direct Mode", the remaining "discs" can not be accessed (i.e. you can't get BOTH the playlists on CDs1-5 AND direct mode on CD6. Just either one OR the other)

* Since I have Nav, I had to use the "Y-Cable". To hook this up, you need to plug the female (single) end into the bottom of the radio (after removing the center console pocket, etc.) There will be two male connectors remaining - plug the original system cable into one and the USA SPEC's cable into the other.

* Yes - the USA SPEC transmits the true LINE OUT of the iPod. Changing the volume on the iPod has NO EFFECT during playback - all volume control is left to the stock radio. Sound quality is excellent: I've had no humming or ground loop noise, so no need for a GLI, etc.

* The track number that will be reported on your headunit is essentially meaningless: it does not necessarily keep track of your position within a particular playlist. Instead, it simply increments by one if you do a "track forward" on your steering wheel controls/head unit or decrements by one if you do a "track backward". In other words, navigating through the menus and choosing another playlist will not reset the track number on the head unit (yeah - it's really no big deal to me - but just another observation I wanted to point out).

All in all, thanks to 04rob, Reach, elduderino (even though we didn't end up buying the units from him), and everyone else for sheding some light on the USA SPEC PA11-HON2.

Good luck,
djpinoy

Old 06-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Excellent review/write up. I'm actually in the market for some sort of iPod interface but was stuck between the Blitzsafe and Ice Link. After reading this, I think I'm gonna ditch the two I had in mind and just go with this. It's a bonus to also have the RCA inputs.

I did see this on the Crutchfield website but it indicated that it wasn't compatible with an 05 TSX, which is why I didn't bother with it. Since this has proven to work, I know what I'm gonna get now.

What make/model Y cable did you guys get? Greatly appreciate it if a link is provided.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Toms TeeSX

What make/model Y cable did you guys get? Greatly appreciate it if a link is provided.

Thanks.
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...PA11_HON2.html

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...ON03_F_MM.html
Old 06-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 08:36 AM
TL no more!

Tom TeeSX, you'll love the adaptor. I've just installed one in my '06 Accord and it's excellent. Nothing but praises for this little gadget.

Just a note for guys without navi BUT have the factory XM radio. If you want to keep the factory XM functionality (like my '06 Accord EX-L), you MUST purchase the Y-cable along with the adaptor. Without it, you can only listen to the iPod but no XM. IMO, I don't listen to XM as much anymore. My iPod beats XM out of the park, especially when XM is more like FM sound quality rather than CD quality.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Has anyone experienced this problem: After removing the iPod from the UsaSpec adapter, the iPod will not turn off (accomplished by holding down the Play button). The iPod would only dim instead of turning off. This happened once with a friend's iPod. He had to reboot the iPod in order for the issue to be resolved (hold down Menu and Enter till Apple logo comes on). The UsaSpec was set to Direct Mode. I don't know if this was a one time thing or if it continually happens when connected to the UsaSpec.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

That sounds more like an issue with the iPod, and hasn't happened with mine.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:15 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Question

Hey, question for anyone that has the USA SPEC. Where did you guys end up mounting the actual interface? I'll be installing tonight or tomorrow but can't think of a decent place...

Help!
Old 06-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Instructor

I installed it behind the compartment under the stereo. There was no need to screw it in because it was a nice snug fit. You could see it in this thread:

Dom's Nav and UsaSpec install
Old 06-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't look very big, so it should fit there fine. If you're worried about it moving just zip tie it to some of the other wiring. Zip ties do wonders
Old 06-23-2006, 07:39 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by Masterpoolcat
Has anyone experienced this problem: After removing the iPod from the UsaSpec adapter, the iPod will not turn off (accomplished by holding down the Play button). The iPod would only dim instead of turning off. This happened once with a friend's iPod. He had to reboot the iPod in order for the issue to be resolved (hold down Menu and Enter till Apple logo comes on). The UsaSpec was set to Direct Mode. I don't know if this was a one time thing or if it continually happens when connected to the UsaSpec.
Hmmm just happend to me but it only happend when I switched the dip switch while the ipod was plugged in and playing.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:55 PM
pdp
Intermediate

nice review reach.
i ordered these 2 components last week from enfig.
good thing i dont have my tsx yet cause they are backordered until i dont know when...
just trying to get all my toys so i can install it all the first weekend i get the car
Old 06-23-2006, 09:43 PM
send me a link to JDM??

I have to say, I agree with everyone on this. I have it all installed now and I love it! This thing works seemlessy!
Old 06-24-2006, 02:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
Hmmm just happend to me but it only happend when I switched the dip switch while the ipod was plugged in and playing.
Yeah, I don't know what the cause was. It hasn't happened anymore though.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

That still hasn't happened to me. I'm glad this device is working well for everyone, I think I can now solidly recommend it over the blitzsafe and other adapters. Other than the known issue about the way it changes inputs when you first plug the ipod in, mine hasn't had a single hiccup since I installed it.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:39 AM
CDR
Instructor

Just piling onto this thread to say my new USA-SPEC module works great with my 04/Non-navi TSX and iPod Photo. No problems or hiccups, using direct mode. Bought through enfig.

I've waited a long time for a reliable adapter, almost got an ice>link and blitzsafe several times but they were always unavailable or being patched for a problem. Glad I waited. I even called the USA-SPEC office before installing to ask about a rotary control on the module that wasn't shown in the diagrams. Talked with someone knowledgable there, who also gave me the impression that if I had a problem they would be eager to help.

One question I had unanswered was whether the volume out of the adapter was matched to the CD or radio volumes - seems perfectly matched to the CD level.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Hows the volume on this thing?

I spliced into my xm harness and added audio inputs for my ipod....but the volume sucks

I need something that is acutally loud and has some bass.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Will this work with my 05 navi?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:18 PM
CDR
Instructor

Originally Posted by IneedaTSX
Hows the volume on this thing?
The volume and sound quality of the iPod+USA-Spec adapter and the in-dash TSX CD changer seem identical. I can switch back and forth between a CD and the matching iPod copy (in Apple lossless format) without noticing any difference.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CDR
The volume and sound quality of the iPod+USA-Spec adapter and the in-dash TSX CD changer seem identical. I can switch back and forth between a CD and the matching iPod copy (in Apple lossless format) without noticing any difference.
Thats good enough for me....I think I might have to get one.....I dont even use the xm, so would I need that y adapter for my 05 with navi?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Racer

I installed mine this morning and it works like a charm so far on my 05 w/nav. I unplugged it until I figure out a nice clean place to put the iPod. Where has everyone placed their iPod and routed the wires? I was thinking of drilling a hole to route the wire that connects to the iPod through the Not an Ashtray or into the CD holder above that. I'm leaning more towards the Not an Ashtray, though I haven't decided yet.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:58 PM
CDR
Instructor

Originally Posted by theElio
Where has everyone placed their iPod and routed the wires? I was thinking of drilling a hole to route the wire that connects to the iPod through the Not an Ashtray or into the CD holder above that. I'm leaning more towards the Not an Ashtray, though I haven't decided yet.
FWIW -- I drilled a 3/8" hole in the lower right, back corner of the CD Holder pocket and routed the round end of the USA-Spec cable through that. My iPod stays in the CD pocket while I'm driving, but can still be pulled completely out to operate the controls. The iPod stays completely concealed when I'm parked somewhere.

Lots of instructions on site on removing the CD Holder pocket. When pulling out the pocket, be sure and cover the console plastic sides with masking or painter's tape first so you don't scratch the console. I stuffed the USA-Spec unit into the space under the CD pocket but did not secure it in any way. It was a tight fit among all the cables back there, so they're just retaining it. No problems so far.

I thought I'd put an iPod holder right outside the CD pocket so the iPod was visible while driving, but so far haven't needed to. I usually select one album before going somewhere, listen, skip over unwanted tracks using the steering wheel controls.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Advanced

i had mine installed by someone and he drilled a small hole in the Not an Ashtray slot. The entire setup lokks great and works great. I store the ipod in the cd tray.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

I actually ran my cable under the shifter box, past the e-brake, and up into the storage compartment. I pulled off the separate plastic piece which holds the cig lighter (and stereo mini jack for us 06'ers), and dremeled out a notch in the bottom left for the cable to pass through there, juuuuust big enough for the cable, so it looks totally stock. The cable can rest in the bottom bucket when not in use, and goes into the top tray to play the ipod when I want it to. There's enough slack on the cable so it still comes out the front and sticks about about 8 inches. Its not a whole lot, but its more than enough for the drive or passenger to play with.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:39 AM
Racer

I ended up not wanting to rip up the center arm compartment, so I went the same route as CDR. I plugged it in and noticed that the sound was messed up and was missing lots of sound on the left channel. Unplugged and the connector on the PIE cable to the adapter had a broken tooth. So I switched the navi and the adapter cables and the navi hookup has 1 busted tooth. So far, no problems at all with the navi and it sounds great. Having fun with it so far.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great review! I might revert my system back and use this one for my ride in th near future.

Quick Reply: Review - USA-SPEC PA11-HON2 in a 2006 Acura TSX