REQ: Instructions for wiring a Radar Dector directly to the fuse box?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002 | 04:11 PM
Intermediate

REQ: Instructions for wiring a Radar Dector directly to the fuse box?

Does anyone have any info they can share for wiring directly to the fuse box? It is very easy to run the cord around the glass so that they radar detector is mounted slightly behind the rearview mirror, but I had it taking up the cigarette lighter adapter...

Derek
Old 07-09-2002 | 06:42 PM
Retired. Not available.

I dont know about the fuse box, but how about right at the rear view mirror? :P
Old 07-10-2002 | 08:52 AM
Intermediate

If you are looking for ignition or constant power supplies don't go into the fuse box. Instead acuras and hondas have a jumper box just left of the emergency brake under the dash. In the cl it is a white box with wires and relays coming off of it. At the bottom of the box are a few open connections. One is constant and one is ignition. You can plug right into it with no problem and it is very accessable. just make sure you fuse your wire though. I use the igntion for my radar and the constant for my neons. Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2002 | 10:20 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by black bullet
If you are looking for ignition or constant power supplies don't go into the fuse box. Instead acuras and hondas have a jumper box just left of the emergency brake under the dash. In the cl it is a white box with wires and relays coming off of it. At the bottom of the box are a few open connections. One is constant and one is ignition. You can plug right into it with no problem and it is very accessable. just make sure you fuse your wire though. I use the igntion for my radar and the constant for my neons. Hope this helps.
That is just the type of info I expect from my pals on the CL board... You da man!

Thanks,
Derek
Old 07-10-2002 | 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Another route...

Pry up the A piller(it just pops off) from there, you can get the detector wire under the headliner, then down the A piller. There's a little hole which lets you push the wire to the fuse box area. Then just put the A pillar cover back on. Next find the the power mirror fuse. Pull it out. Cut the detectors wire, strip about 1/8 inch off. Wrap the wire around the fuse prong(doesn't matter which one) Then insert the fuse back into the socket. There's your secure switched power sorce. Next is ground. The ground wire from a hard wire kit, should already have a ring terminal attached. If not get one from radio shack, or just strip some of the wire. Find the gold screw that holds the fuse box in. Unscrwew it, & gound the detector there.
That's it your done!
Old 07-10-2002 | 07:44 PM
Intermediate

I went and looked, and I don't see the white box with wires? Is there a post or something that I should connect to, or is it one of the fuse sockets or what? Sorry if I am being lame?

Derek
Old 07-25-2002 | 10:15 PM
Intermediate

Can anyone else help me with the details of Black Bullits suggestion, I can't seem to find this jumper box....

any other suggestions.
Old 07-26-2002 | 08:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

This is the fuse box...

This is the back of that fuse box. See that RED wire That's were you can go.

Or you can just do what I suggested, & take the power mirror fuse out, wrap the detector power wire around the prong, & then put the fuse back. It's easier.
Old 07-28-2002 | 10:34 PM
Advanced

-. help with electrical short

the red wire in the second pic is where my shock sensor +12v is connected. while removing the shock sensor i accidently shorted that and now my radio, cigarette, and nav doesn't work. also my gear is stuck in park unless i manually override the gear selector. what should i check? take it to the dealer and tell them i screwed it up?
Old 07-29-2002 | 03:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

the red wire in the second pic is where my shock sensor +12v is connected. while removing the shock sensor i accidently shorted that and now my radio, cigarette, and nav doesn't work. also my gear is stuck in park unless i manually override the gear selector. what should i check? take it to the dealer and tell them i screwed it up?
Sorry to hear that. In the future disconnect that battery. You can take everything out. All of your wires, & make it look like it wasn't touched. Then bring it in, & act stupid. My car before the CL-S had the chip in the key. I was hard wiring my radar detector into the rear view mirror with the battery connected, & the car running.(it was hot outside) I shorted out the computer that controls the reading of the chip in the key. Car wouldn't start. I took all my wiring out. Towed it to the dealer, & they fixed it.
Old 07-29-2002 | 06:54 PM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by JasonT
This is the fuse box...

http://users.ev1.net/~sunriselab/sil...r/dsc00004.jpg

holy cow, my fusebox doesn't look remotely like that one. It's fully attached. Who in the right mind would do something like that?