Replace stock speakers in front and rear with WHAT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 04:26 PM
Lead Foot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace stock speakers in front and rear with WHAT?

I'm more familiar with subwoofers than with the speakers so I need your help with this.

I would like to replace the front and rear stock Bose speakers with after-market speakers that can handle power from a Lanzar Optidrive 2200 2-channel 200W amplifier (I already bought this 6 years ago). .

The aftermarket speaker components should have the deepest bass possible because they are going to complement a single Kicker S8L7 subwoofer that will be installed in the pass-through enclosure in the back seat.

And of course, the aftermarket components should not require any modifications to the existing enclosures in front and rear. I just want to take out the stocks and plug in the aftermarkets without any modifications.

Finally, my budget is about $150 but if that's unreasonable, let me know.

So any recommendations? Your help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:12 PM
Red X

most components under $150 won't take up to 200 watts. focal utopia have great midbass. i personally would take the polykevlar, but i like my highs bright. and btw, utopias cost around $500-600 online
Old 11-07-2002, 07:05 PM
Lead Foot

I am not planning to put 200 watts into a single component.

There are 4 components. 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. Since my Lanzar amp outputs 200 watts into 2 channels, I guess I'll just install it so that 50 watts will go into each component.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:55 PM
Red X

why power 4 speakers (2 pairs) with a two channel amp? just run a good set of fronts and you won't need rear speakers.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Advanced

I'm interested in this as well, but I can find the make of the speaker myself. I would like to know what the size of the speakers are.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:00 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say get the JL's....I paid $400 FOR 6.5 SEPERATES and 6X9s...they sound awesome....and they don't need alot of power!!!
Old 11-08-2002, 12:01 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can only push one pair of speakers (front or rear) with a 2 channel amp.

Unless ... your amp handle at 2 ohm load. If you parallel two 4-ohm speakers, the amp will see a 2-ohm load. You could parallel each side together to produce two 2 ohm loads, one for each amplifier channel (right and left).

I believe your amp can do this (2 ohm load). But, $150 for two pair of speakers is tough.

You might want to just replace the front speakers and use your amp, leave the back stock.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Lead Foot

I don't mind buying only one pair but I am a bit confused about why I should buy fronts and keep the rear stock. I would like as much bass as possible and won't the rears produce more bass than the front? Ergo, I should buy rears rather than the fronts, right?

Could you please elaborate on why fronts will give me more bass than the rears? Like I said, I'm new to the component area.

Also, any recommendation for a good pair of components (rear or front) that can handle 100W each and produce a lot of bass to complement the Kicker S8L7? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:53 PM

What do you want in your system? If you have a Kicker S8L7 for bass, wouldn't you want good mids and highs? Or do you want as much bass as possible?

You want the best speakers up front to produce the best soundstage/acoustics. Rear speakers are for 'fill' and sometimes omitted from high end systems.

Get a good pair of front components. Apply sound dampening material to the front doors and rear deck. Leave the rear stock. The dampening will improve their sound and response. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Your too confused. If you have a sub, then you will not need a speaker with alot of bass extension. That's the point of a subwoofer. You will need good speakers that have good midrange, & highs. Most good speakers fit into this. If you can only get 1 pair, get sthe front. Think about it. You are not sitting in the back, your sitting in the front. You want good stereo sound closer to where you are going to sit, in the drivers seat. Bass is mostly non directional, so your ears cannot tell where the bass is coming from. Rear speakers are for rear fill sound. It would be best to change all 4, but if you can only do 2, then the front is the way to go.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:42 PM
Lead Foot

OK, I got what you're saying. Let me clarify my needs. I don't think that the Kicker S8L7 will produce enough bass for me, even when driven by a 250W (RMS) Class-D subwoofer. So I assumed that if I replace the rears with components that can produce a lot of bass, I can get an extra bass boost over the S8L7. Yes I know that a subwoofer is supposed to drive all of that bass BUT because of space constraints, I am limited to a single S8L7 (I'm installing it in the pass-through opening in the back seat). I would rather have a 15-inch sub but since I can't have that, I would like to have rear components that will make up for the difference somehow.

As for the sound quality, I am not too concerned about that since I am OK with the SQ from the stock fronts. So if I had a choice of just one single pair of components, I would rather buy a pair that will produce the most bass at 100 watts each.

Perhaps in the future, I will replace the stock fronts but right now, my need of the moment is pounding bass from a combination of the S8L7 and the rears
Old 11-08-2002, 02:02 PM

I would use 6 x 9 coaxials in the rear. They would probably produce more bass than 5" or 6.5" components. I'm not sure what brand will give the most bass. Go to a store and listen to a few. And get some sound dampening material on the rear deck - it made a difference with my stock speakers.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:16 PM
Lead Foot

Will the 6x9 coaxials fit in the rear without any modifications to the rear? I don't know the size of the stock rears.

If I can't just plug 6x9 coaxials into the rear without modifications, then I assume that I would have to go with 6.5" component, right? In that case, any recommendations for a component that will produce most bass? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:54 PM
Red X

why not buy a better sub? not necessarliy bigger, but better. there are much better brands than kicker. i've heard nothing but good things about image dynamics and focal. like bluto said, most ppl won't even have rear speakers. that's why i said, get a good set of fronts. if you're a bass head, which it sounds like you are, buy a better sub.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:59 PM
Lead Foot

Originally posted by gmilian
why not buy a better sub? not necessarliy bigger, but better. there are much better brands than kicker. i've heard nothing but good things about image dynamics and focal. like bluto said, most ppl won't even have rear speakers. that's why i said, get a good set of fronts. if you're a bass head, which it sounds like you are, buy a better sub.

Dude, if I could, I would buy a much better sub that gives me the bass I want. But I have to use a Kicker S8L7 because of THIS:

I'm going to have that installed soon, hopefully. I don't think there are any other subwoofers that can fit the dimensions in the picture above and produce the same bass as the S8L7.

Now you understand my situation? So that's why I need bass-producing rears.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by guji2
Will the 6x9 coaxials fit in the rear without any modifications to the rear? I don't know the size of the stock rears.

If I can't just plug 6x9 coaxials into the rear without modifications, then I assume that I would have to go with 6.5" component, right? In that case, any recommendations for a component that will produce most bass? Thanks.
The rear stock speakers are 6X9. I'm not sure of the mounting depth. You might need a spacer with a larger aftermarket pair.

Search or start a new thread on choosing rear 6X9 speakers - see what other members did.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:08 PM
Red X

Originally posted by Bluto
The rear stock speakers are 6X9. I'm not sure of the mounting depth. You might need a spacer with a larger aftermarket pair.

Search or start a new thread on choosing rear 6X9 speakers - see what other members did.
ron aka streeteffectz has a pair of polk 6x9's for sale at $100 shipped. i'd just go with those.
edit: i think they're 6x9's. but actually, i'd stick with kicker 6x9's so they're at least harmonical with the sub.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Lead Foot

Bluto & gmilian,

Thanks for the info on the 6x9s. I will search for them but I'm a bit confused by what gmilian said. Does it really make a difference if I go with Kickers or if I go with different brands? What did you mean by "harmonical with the sub"?

If the brand does make a difference then I'll just go with the Kickers. Let me know what you think. Thanks.