Remote Start / Alarm installations on MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 04:03 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start / Alarm installations on MT

From my knowledge Rem Starters on manual transmissions are illegal to install. However in case I am wrong or if someone can "direct" me towards someone in the midwest, preferrably Cincinnati or Chicago area that can do an install, let me know.

How many members have rem start on their cars right now?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:19 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
FYI, they're usually not illegal, they're usually not regulated at all. Just legal disclaimers by the makers. The NHTSA did encourage a voluntary recall on remote starts that allowed some GM autos to start in gear - install workaround.

Consider some of the systems that are set up for MTs. I believe you have to take the car out of gear and then press the clutch in and out once (or something like that) before shutdown. I believe the R/S monitors the clutch switch in those cars, and concludes you didn't have it in gear on shutdown or it would have stalled (also monitors RPMs). Other than Compustar (which we've heard negatives about) any other units come to mind that are MT-compatible?

Directed is supposed to be "working" on one but not yet... and they are very much against such installs with current product.

I have taken a tech call from someone who was pushed up against a brake rack while working on a vehicle with remote start. They reconnected the battery in gear and the car cranked and pushed them against the brake rack. The hood switch was temporarily bypassed for some reason - something sitting on it, or latch was closed to turn off underhood light or something, I forget.

He was OK... just glad nothing was toppled over on him, or hit his head.