Questions on Size of Rear Speakers and Stock Sub

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001 | 05:34 PM

Post Questions on Size of Rear Speakers and Stock Sub

What is the size of rear speakers for 02 TLS? I've seen from 5.25 (TLDaddy) to someone suggesting me to use 6.9

I want to know the exact size because I'm going to order speakers soon

To double check, 6.5 component, the woofer will fit right in the front speakers? (I know need to make spacer)

About stock Sub, will I be able to power it with aftermarket amp? I'm currently looking at Alpine MRV-F320 (30W x 4 + (0.3% THD) 120W x 1. Will I be able to power it with 120W from the Alpine amps?

Thanks for the replies
Old 06-12-2001 | 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Exclamation

Originally posted by CK:
What is the size of rear speakers for 02 TLS? I've seen from 5.25 (TLDaddy) to someone suggesting me to use 6.9
I thought they were 5.25" before I removed my door panel last year. I have a '99 and each Bose paper speaker is exactly 6" in diameter. And unless Acura has changed the speakers they are all the same - but I can only verify the size that is in a '99 TL.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by TL Daddy on June 12, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-12-2001 | 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Talking

The stock sub sucks! You don't want to mess with hooking that to an amp - just take it out! My stock sub is in a box in the garage I'll post a pic of the sub (& spkrs) later so you can see how crappy it is
Old 06-12-2001 | 07:48 PM

Ya I know one of the biggest problem of TLS audio system is the sub because of its open space.

I have a 99 Toyota Solara with 200W JBL 6.5 component front + 6.9 rears all factory. All I can say is I'm pretty satisfied with the system. It already gave me enough bass and most important tone are clear & precise which the stock TLS weren't able to give me.

My thoughts for my upgrading audio system are like this. Since I'm upgrading them with good quality speakers and good amp, I should get a much better audio system than my Solara with just the components@fronts & rears. Now adding the "horrible" stock sub in it, I think it will only improve the system and give more lower bass.

So as you can see I'm not really a bass person so I really don't want to go for a box sub. I don't want to lose trunk space too

Please tell me what you think about my thoughts I know it may sound very newbie because I still am a big car audio newbie. However this forum have helped me a lot and I've learned A LOT on the way. THX AGAIN for anybody who replied my posts

Oh ya, can someone answer me will the stock Sub hook up to Alpine MRV-F320 (30W x 4 + (0.3% THD) 120W x 1? The 120W x 1 part.

Thanks

Originally posted by TL Daddy:
The stock sub sucks! You don't want to mess with hooking that to an amp - just take it out! My stock sub is in a box in the garage I'll post a pic of the sub (& spkrs) later so you can see how crappy it is
Old 06-12-2001 | 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

first of all, listen to tl daddy, he knows his stuff!

if getting a new amp for the factory sub is your only solution, DONT do it. i did it just for fun and it made it sounds 10x worse

that amp is from the 2001 lineup right? i cant find my alpine brochure...but if its NOT a V12 amp, dont get it. the V12 amps are the only alpine amps you should consider

you said you dont want a box, you can get a free air sub. similar to the factory one, but better. you can probably mount an 8inch in the factory location. the smartest thing to do is to get a 10 in a box. you can adjust it so that it hits peeeeerfectly and just gets a clean low end

you will have to make spacers for the doors no matter what you do, unless you get 3.5 inch speakers

------------------
Follow as i ride
99 Satin Silver
Bridgestone RE-730 225/55/16
oem kit
ctech exhaust
ctech sways
aem intake
system
Old 06-13-2001 | 02:31 AM

Thx for the suggestion about subs and amps. For Amps now I know to go for V12s, thanks again.

About Sub, I really was thinking about changing it long time ago. NSXNEXT told me that it was impossible to replace the stock sub with aftermarkets.

However, if replacing stock sub (mounting in same location) is really possible, then I'll really go for it. Please some confirm with me if this is really possible?

Thanks

Originally posted by mr tl:
first of all, listen to tl daddy, he knows his stuff!

if getting a new amp for the factory sub is your only solution, DONT do it. i did it just for fun and it made it sounds 10x worse

that amp is from the 2001 lineup right? i cant find my alpine brochure...but if its NOT a V12 amp, dont get it. the V12 amps are the only alpine amps you should consider

you said you dont want a box, you can get a free air sub. similar to the factory one, but better. you can probably mount an 8inch in the factory location. the smartest thing to do is to get a 10 in a box. you can adjust it so that it hits peeeeerfectly and just gets a clean low end

you will have to make spacers for the doors no matter what you do, unless you get 3.5 inch speakers

Old 06-13-2001 | 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TL Daddy:
The stock sub sucks! I'll post a pic of the sub (& spkrs) later so you can see how crappy it is
I believe they have the voice coil/motor mechanism inside out to conserve space. This usually makes the performance crap, however BOSE claims that they did this without sacrificing performance but their claim is suspect!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by thejavagod on June 13, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-14-2001 | 03:55 AM

Am I able to do this?

Stock HU + Alpine MRV-F307 (40W x 4; Bridged 4 Ohm (0.3% THD) ) + Infinity Kappa 60.2CS (6.5 components) @ Front + Infinity Kappa @ Rear (someone confirm me the size?) + Stock Sub + Stock amp to power stock Sub.

Am I able to do this? Can someone confirm me the size of rear 02 TLS speakers?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2001 | 04:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

yes you can definately do that

the front and rear speakers should be the same size

get 5.25inch speakers in the rear, its not worth getting 6.5's
Old 06-14-2001 | 12:20 PM

Thx Mr.TL

Since I will be buying parts online, and take them to local audio shop to install, I really need to get some infos so they won't give me mis-leading infos.

BTW, what do you suggest for fronts? 6.5 3-ways or a 6.5 component? Coz component need to drill holes for tweeters.

Can somebody tell me how exactly the installation will be? What I mean is how to run the lines etc, not how to mount speakers etc coz local audio shop will do it.

Stock HU + Alpine MRV-F307 (40W x 4; Bridged 4 Ohm (0.3% THD) ) + Infinity Kappa 60.2CS (6.5 components) @ Front + Infinity Kappa 52.1i (5.25 2 ways)@ Rear + Stock Sub + Stock amp to power stock Sub.
---------------------------------------------
What I goes in my head is

Stock HU ---&gt; Line Output Convertor ---&gt; Alpine MRV-F307 ----&gt; Speakers out of the Amp

Stock HU ---&gt; Stock Sub Amp ---&gt; Stock Sub

Am I on the right track?

I've heard our cars have 2 amps, 1 for speakers 1 for subs true? Where they hide it? Aftermarket amp able to go in the stock speaker amp (placement)?

Thanks, sorry for the vast amount of newbie questions I asked again.

Originally posted by mr tl:
yes you can definately do that

the front and rear speakers should be the same size

get 5.25inch speakers in the rear, its not worth getting 6.5's