Quesetion about dealer installed Acura/Honda XM Sat

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004 | 01:39 PM
2nd Gear

Quesetion about dealer installed Acura/Honda XM Sat

So i just got my 04 tsx, and i had the the dealer install the XM sat option.

I get the car, and the XM doesn't work quite like i expected.

First off, it seems to go through the FM Modulator, which means i have to tune into a FM station in order to hear it.

Second, in order to listen to the FM/AM radio, i have to power off the XM console/reciever.

Now does this sound like its correct? According to the Service Manager, he had called acura tech support and this is how it must be installed.

I was under the assumption that the XM sat would be plugged into the stereo system through the aux port. why has acura designed this so poorly?

What the hell is the point of getting a digital signal if i'm just gonna listen over an FM frequency. If this is the case, i coulda just saved myself a Grand and bought an aftermarket one, and mounted it on the dash.

Is there anyway that I can get the XM to plug directly into the aux port?

thanks

peter
Old 09-23-2004 | 02:20 PM
Go Giants

Welcome. It seems like all of the dealer installed media options (XM, MP3, cassette and I-VES DVD) are piped through FM modulator. I was disapointed as well with my I-VES. They sell a cable http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13759 but I don't know if there is a way to tap into the back of the XM player (such as RCA inputs). The sound is pretty good with the FM modulator, but I would have expected Acura to do a better job with this.
Old 09-23-2004 | 02:23 PM
Drifting

moving this to Audio/Video...
Old 09-23-2004 | 02:25 PM
Photography Nerd

It's installed correctly but it is a pretty shitty setup that acura went with.
Old 09-23-2004 | 04:35 PM
irq
Advanced

The dealer installed MP3 player is *NOT* FM modulated. I have the dealer installed MP3 player in my 04 5AT/Navi Meteor Silver. It is seen by the navi/audio system as an external CD changer, through the AUX port. I can't speak for the XM system, but the MP3 player is definitely not FM modulated.

Welcome. It seems like all of the dealer installed media options (XM, MP3, cassette and I-VES DVD) are piped through FM modulator. I was disapointed as well with my I-VES. They sell a cable http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13759 but I don't know if there is a way to tap into the back of the XM player (such as RCA inputs). The sound is pretty good with the FM modulator, but I would have expected Acura to do a better job with this.
Old 09-23-2004 | 05:32 PM
Go Giants

WTF , why would they have direct input for the cheap MP3 player and not the I-VES or XM????

http://www.handa-accessories.com/tsx/08A0308B06.pdf
Old 09-23-2004 | 05:41 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

XM was an afterthought for the TSX. What Acura did was buy the rights to the Alpine unit that you have in your car. I know b/c I had the Alpine version of it before there was an adapter for the AUX port. I'm sorry to say it, but you should have looked into the site XM options before you went with the Acura XM option.....or waited for an '05.....damn '05 XM

The most popular option on the forum seems to be buying the soundgate adapter and the Terk XM Commander and doing your own install. That's what I run (with a custom built switch so I can use my MP3 player) and it works pretty well....backlight of the XM Commander matches the blue of the TSX interior unlike that ugly green that the Alpine(Acura) unit has
Old 09-24-2004 | 12:19 PM
2nd Gear

sigh. Well too late for that.

quite disappointing when something like is designed into an otherwise wonderful car.

thanks for your help.
Old 09-24-2004 | 02:08 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by pcutler
sigh. Well too late for that.

quite disappointing when something like is designed into an otherwise wonderful car.

thanks for your help.
I'm sorry man....if the XM tuner you have is the Alpine one...meaning the actual computer portion of it...you can get a pretty penny for it on EBay...I almost got full price back for it when I sold mine. I guess they are really hard to come by right now...something about Alpine switching over to a more standard unit...similar to the one used by the XM Commander. That's what I did at least.

You'll still take a loss, but I guess you have to ask yourself how much it's worth to you. If you need anything else XM wise let me know...I love my XM
Old 09-24-2004 | 03:21 PM
VP Electricity

You also have the option of hacking into the harness between the FMM and the XM Tuner, grabbing the audio lines, and running THEM into a SHOND as described on the FAQ page.

That Alpine (which I have in my CR-V as a real Alpine) has too short an alphanumberic display to fully read XM OSD's... so you might want to yard it out and go with an XM COmmadner or something...
Old 09-24-2004 | 03:28 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by elduderino
You also have the option of hacking into the harness between the FMM and the XM Tuner, grabbing the audio lines, and running THEM into a SHOND as described on the FAQ page.

That Alpine (which I have in my CR-V as a real Alpine) has too short an alphanumberic display to fully read XM OSD's... so you might want to yard it out and go with an XM COmmadner or something...
OOOOOO...I didn't think about the hacking option...that's a good idea. And I agree on the Alpine display too! When I had my Civic I had a SkiFi and the display was great. When I went with the Alpine unit I really missed the display It's all part of the novelty of satellite radio