MISC: PSA: New USASpec iPod Adapter for Acura /w NAVI

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSA: New USASpec iPod Adapter for Acura /w NAVI

Finally, USASpec has updated their site with new offerings for those Acura's with NAV, 6-disc in dash changer and XM (SAT).

The PA15 HON3 and PA15 ACU XL (for those NAV systems with live traffic).

Artist, Title, Album text all displayed on the navi it looks like, with no loss of functionality for indash disc changer and XM.

Gonna order one this week and see how it goes. But thought some folks might want to know in case they're searching for a solution.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:03 PM
3rd Gear

Pa15-hon3

Hi,

where did you/or will you order it? I have looked online and can't find any stores that already ship it.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 PM
10th Gear

i saw it from the usaspec website, but found that it doesnt fit 04 tsx...sad
Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Firstflight
Hi,

where did you/or will you order it? I have looked online and can't find any stores that already ship it.

Thanks.
I'm going through my local car audio place. They said they'd call and get the part ordered, I guess directly from USASpec. They'd let me know when they've got in the shop.

The email I got back from USASpec about it said they were shipping now. Not sure if it's gone out to resellers yet?

hkppl111, Where did you find that it wouldn't fit an 04 TSX? It should? Did you call them and confirm directly?

Last edited by sergeremi; 07-21-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
3rd Gear

Pa15-hon3

I called USASpec today and the customer rep said that it would be out soon. Afterwards I started researching what he was talking about, that is where I learned that this is the device needed for the 2005 Acura MDX so the text will show up on Navi. Is my assumption right? It is like a jungle out there with all those different options and ipod types...

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 PM
8th Gear

I have a 05' accord hybrid with nav & 6 disc indash & XM system... no live traffic though... installed the the PA15Hon2 and it works ok.... text will show up on the nav screen and the flash across the small clock on the dash but only if it's in one of the modes that lock the iphone/ipod screen. It integrates with the steering wheel control - next track/previous track/ volume. If you want to access the iphone/ipod screen, you lose text - just says ipod and no artist/song name.... I'm assuming the PA15HON3 will work in similar fashion but allow for live traffic. It also charges the iphone/ipod. Once in awhile my nav will reset but music continues to play... not sure if it's doing any damage but guess that's the price you pay for convenience with having all of your music with you.... one small complaint is that it gives a pop-up on the iphone saying the device wasn't made for it and asks if you want to put it in airplane mode... just say no and it works.... sometimes you'll get buzzing due to the cell signal but it's only once in awhile... On my wife's 2001 TL, I just installed a motorola T605 that I got off of ebay for cheap. Doesn't integrate with nav but does stream wireless via bluetooth A2DP and gives me handsfree which wasn't a factory option on the 2001 TL...You'll need an adapter like a blitzsafe (at least for older models that don't have aux inputs) to get streaming music from the T605 through your stereo.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:59 PM
3rd Gear

pa-hon3

thanks for your reply. Really crazy, some say it works with the nav, some say it does not. Is there a way I can use both, the ipod and the nav controls (so the ipod will not lock)?

Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Instructor

firstflight, the PA15-HON3 is probably the one you should get.

I tried the PA15-HON2 in my 05 TSX w/NAV and 6-Disc changer and all that. It didn't quite work. So I'm hoping this will be end of endless searching...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 PM
10th Gear

Rats, I thought this was gonna be a solution for the 2003 CL's with Navigation...the search continues
Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 AM
4th Gear

Pa15-hon3

I had my hon3 installed a week ago, and I love it. Works as advertized, and even charges my iPhone. I paid about $250 with tax and installation.
2004 TL/XM and Nav
Old 08-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Instructor

yeah, it looks like they only tested with MDXs and TLs.

I finally had it installed this weekend for my 05 TSX w/Navi. It does not work as advertised. Now the installer could have messed up the dip switch settings or installed it incorrectly but on mine all radio functions and controls through the nav do not work. If fact the nav screen doesn't even display anymore. I can still pull up the map, ac controls, trip info, and navi screen settings, everything BUT the radio controls.

It sucks. And then I check USASpecs web page and they changed the compatibility chart and now say that for the TSX you have to use the PA15-HON2 WHICH DID NOT WORK THE LAST TIME WE TRIED TO INSTALL IT!

I wish they would have actually tested with the TSX before they made claims and told me it would work.

Pretty frustrated right now.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Well apparently, USASpec's stance is that they're still working on a solution for the TSX that has factory NAV, In-Dash 6 Disc changer and XM Radio.

I wish they would get their shit straight when people ask them specifically what will work and what wont. If you haven't tested your stuff with a particular make and model with a specific factory setup then don't fucking say yeah, yeah it'll work.

Douches. I still see on their site that they're claiming the PA15-HON2 will work with my setup. No. It does not.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've been waiting for this unit for my '08 Navi, but still not sure it works as advertised. Let me know if you get this unit at a retail store and how much?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigTL
I've been waiting for this unit for my '08 Navi, but still not sure it works as advertised. Let me know if you get this unit at a retail store and how much?
Are you looking for one for a TL? USA Spec confirmed that it does work with the TL. You can call them up and ask directly. Do you have live traffic?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Do you have live traffic?
No. Just Navi.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:58 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by sergeremi
yeah, it looks like they only tested with MDXs and TLs.

I finally had it installed this weekend for my 05 TSX w/Navi. It does not work as advertised. Now the installer could have messed up the dip switch settings or installed it incorrectly but on mine all radio functions and controls through the nav do not work. If fact the nav screen doesn't even display anymore. I can still pull up the map, ac controls, trip info, and navi screen settings, everything BUT the radio controls.

It sucks. And then I check USASpecs web page and they changed the compatibility chart and now say that for the TSX you have to use the PA15-HON2 WHICH DID NOT WORK THE LAST TIME WE TRIED TO INSTALL IT!

I wish they would have actually tested with the TSX before they made claims and told me it would work.

Pretty frustrated right now.
I don't think they tested with every MDX either. My 05 MDX behaved the same way as your 05 TSX. Their tech support was very polite and apologetic, and also told me to use PA15-HON2. However, your have just convinced me that I probably don't want to purchase that either. Bummer.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:57 PM
4th Gear

Pa15 acu xl

I installed the new USA Spec iPod interface on my 2007 MDX. The unit works well with the display on both the radio head unit & the navi screen. Only thing that I don't like is that you have to scroll alphabetically which is rather slow. The unit also doesn't plug into the back of the radio as their web site says, it plugs into the XM module which is located in the rh rear panel in the cargo area. You don't have to remove the side panel, just remove the hinged cargo deck & the black holding tray below it. This gives you access to the plugs on the XM module.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:49 PM
is too sexy for his shirt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
will this work on a 00 tl with nav no cd changer?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Sorry, none of the items in this category fit your car.
Guess you can't buy PA15 ACU XL at Crutchield.com
Old 08-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by polluted
I don't think they tested with every MDX either. My 05 MDX behaved the same way as your 05 TSX. Their tech support was very polite and apologetic, and also told me to use PA15-HON2. However, your have just convinced me that I probably don't want to purchase that either. Bummer.
Hey polluted, I might have some good news for you!

Ok, after talking with Ken at USASpec, who was indeed very polite and apologetic, and also recommended to try the HON2 again.

So I go back to the installer and this time I get them on the phone with USASpec. Apparently there was some confusion the first go around and some things got connected incorrectly. Ken and the installer talk it out and get it hooked up.

Well, what do you know. It works! I'm gonna post another thread specific to the TSX, but you may want to try the HON2 and make sure you get Ken on the phone to double check the installation.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigTL
Guess you can't buy PA15 ACU XL at Crutchield.com
Well you can call USASpec directly, (626) 336-3836, and order from them I think.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear

Sergeremi,

Any idea on the particulars of what snag the installer ran into with the PA15-HON2? Once I get the refund on the PA15-HON3 I think I may give the HON2 a try.

Ben
Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Instructor

All right, my complete install post is up. Go here.

polluted, the snag was that the installer first installed the adapter into the CD changer control harness instead of the XM part. And I believe there is a blue wire and orange wire one is an additional connection to the XM module. Once that was in place and the DIP switches correct set (also incorrectly set the first go around) everything worked as described.

I suspect as USA Spec continues to tinker with the adapters new firmware or adapter units may come out that will offer more functionality, but as of now this is the best solution out there IMHO.

Last edited by sergeremi; 08-30-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added comment, fix grammar
Old 09-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Instructor

I ordered the PA15 ACU XL and it arrived today. Any hints on an easy install?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

I installed the PA15-HON3 into my '06 TL with NAV and XM SAT (No Live Traffic). It does work as advertised. However, now my Nav screen will reboot periodically while i'm driving! I installed the adapter myself (I have over 10 years experience with mobile electronics) so I know it's not an install problem. I have contacted USASPEC about the problem and am waiting on a reply. Anyone else out there having the same problem?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:52 AM
4th Gear

USASPEC PA15-HON3 2004 TL w/NAV and XM

If I turn the XM off and then turn the car off, then if I start the car the next day, it can take up to 2 minutes before the radio boots up. Pushing "audio", "XM", "AM/FM", big silver radio on/off buttons are all inoperative for a minute or two. When it comes back to life, every works fine. I had my HON3 unit replaced, but the same problem persists. The work-around is to leave the radio on while turning off the ignition.

Other than that annoyance, I like the HON3. I hope they can fix that via a firmware update.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:14 AM
'16 FBP Advance FWD

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BlakMagik
I installed the PA15-HON3 into my '06 TL with NAV and XM SAT (No Live Traffic). It does work as advertised. However, now my Nav screen will reboot periodically while i'm driving! I installed the adapter myself (I have over 10 years experience with mobile electronics) so I know it's not an install problem. I have contacted USASPEC about the problem and am waiting on a reply. Anyone else out there having the same problem?
I'm looking at buying the PA15-HON3 unit for my '06 TL. Did anyone from USASPEC ever get back to you with a fix?