TSX: USA Spec PA15-HON2 iPod Adapter Install 05 w/ NAVI and XM

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA Spec PA15-HON2 iPod Adapter Install 05 w/ NAVI and XM

All right guys, here we go. LONG POST, so get some coffee or something.

This is the install of the PA15-HON2 iPod Adapter in my 2005 TSX with factory NAV unit, 6 disc in-dash CD changer and XM radio (active subscription).

With this unit artist name, track title, and album name are displayed on the NAV screen. I can also scroll through the iPod by playlist, artist, and album as well as switch to direct mode (in which all control is through the iPod itself, a much faster and direct way to get to the songs you want, if you don't set up specific playlists).

So far the unit works pretty well. Interface is good, and nearly smooth. There is some lag which I guess is the processing of commands going on in the USA Spec unit and searching/seeking on the iPod unit. The iPod adapter unit connects via the XM radio port, all of it is plug and play. Unplug the factory radio harness, plug it into the USA Spec harness and then plug that into the back of the radio. Simple. And because it utilizes the XM input, you'll use the XM preset settings to control

Sound quality is decent. With the amp and components I'm running you can tell there's a difference in the compressed audio on the iPod and when playing a CD. Next big project now is to upgrade all the audio in iTunes to the new plus format and re-burn all my CDs to at least the 256 kb/s rate. But still, pretty good quality from the direct dock connect. I'm not doing any equalizing through the iPod unit. The EQ setting is set to OFF (all those sound settings just make things worse, except when listening to podcasts or audio books, then I set it to the voice boost setting).

OK on to the pics and description of functionality.

iPod setup in the car (mount from KUDA USA and holder from ProClipusa.com)

Selecting the scroll through playlist mode (XM-1 preset 1).

Selecting the scroll through artist mode (XM-1 preset 2).

Selecting the scroll through album mode (XM-1 preset 3).

Ok, so when you hit preset 1 thru 3, it'll first pop up what mode you're entering either by playlist, by artist, or by album. Once it loads, then the artist, album, track title will all display.

Full display in Playlist mode (notice the Category will display what mode you're in, i.e., PL-"playlist name").

and full display in Artist mode (same view in album as well, just the category will say AL-"album name" instead AR-"artist name").

Ok, now pushing preset 4 puts you in All Songs mode, this is just all your songs available to be scrolled through. The scrolling works in alphabetical order so... it'll take you a long time to get to anything beyond A or B (depending on how many albums or artists you have that start with A or B).

And when you push preset 5, that puts you into Direct mode.

Direct mode is probably what you'll be using the most, I know I will. Once the novelty wears off from seeing iPod info on the NAV screen, this way of control is the most efficient. Except for those long road trips and I want to random play songs from my entire library (a very cool way to listen to your music collection and way better than the radio) I'll probably set the iPod to shuffle play and put it into all songs mode.

Also, in direct mode, the song, artist, album text does not display, it'll just show IPOD DIRECT on everything. Maybe that was one of the things the HON3 might take care of I don't know. But in all the modes, I can still using my steering wheel controls to toggle through modes, move forward and back through tracks and turn up and down the volume.

So far, the HON2 meets my needs considering the difficulty in getting a direct connection to the iPod in the car without extreme modification or giving up any functionality.

Oh, and here is a video of the functionality to see the stuff in action.

All in all, a pretty good solution for getting your ipod hooked up in the TSX. AND the new cable (which I have) allows you to charge not just the iPod but the new iPhone 3GS, which I've tried and actually and works. Maybe I'll play around with the functionality of docking the iPhone.

But be warned, USA Spec is still tinkering around with the interface adapters. With them having to reverse engineer the software there may be quirks and weird things going on. And possibly some incompatibilities in various model years and/or radio features. So far all I can say is that this is the best solution I've found for a 2005 Acura TSX w/ NAV, CD Changer AND XM.

Even though you check the website for a compatible unit for your car, CALL USA SPEC DIRECTLY before ordering to get full disclosure on compatibility with your car and radio features.

But overall, a couple of thumbs up!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:11 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the extensive review and video, sergeremi. I've been looking for a solution that supports iPod text for my 07 TSX with factory NAV and xm.

I have two questions:

1) In [All songs] mode, can you set it to shuffle? If so, is this done with the car controls or the iPod? Most of the time, that's how I prefer to listen to my music. I'll have the iPod/iPhone tucked away in the center console and I'd like to be in a mode that will display text on the NAV screen and the upper segmented display. (You mentioned shuffle/random playback in your post, but I wasn't 100% on what modes support it.)

2) Does the iPod/iPhone attempt to charge while the vehicle is off? I'll probably toss an old iPod mini in the center console and leave it there all the time. I don't really care if it gets charged while the car is off. I just don't want issues with my car's battery running dead.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Instructor

mshake,

To your first question; right now, I’ve only set it to shuffle via the direct control method and keeping it in direct mode. But I caught somewhere in the manual I think that by pressing and holding a preset button, you’ll turn on shuffle. I’ll have to find that again and test it to see if that works.

And to your second question about charging; according to the manual and my discussion with USA Spec, the unit is charged while it is playing, when it is paused and remains paused (manually paused or automatically when switching to other radio modes or turning off the car) charging stops automatically after half an hour. So shouldn’t be a problem with killing your battery, just don’t accidently hit play on it when the car is off. I've left the iPod connected all day while at work and overnight and no problems with the battery being drained or dead.

I noticed you mentioned you're looking for your 07. Just note that this is my experience with a 05 TSX. USA Spec says that while in general the module is supposed to work, different software, control units and what not across different model years could cause some functionality to work differently then stated or not to work at all. On that, you’ll have to go through and verify the functionality as spelled out in the manual, and make note of what works what may not quite work exactly. But I think you should be good to go for your 07. TSX I’d check the USA Spec website every so often for any firmware updates or upgraded modules just in case a better solution comes along, like maybe being able to search for songs via the NAV keyboard or display song info while in direct mode or something.

Best of luck!
Old 08-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Instructor

I verified the random/shuffle functionality.

Push and hold down (till you hear the beep) XM-1 preset 2 and it will switch it to "random play". Songs will then play in random order in whatever mode you're in Playlist, Album, Artist AND All Songs. Woo Hoo! And of course the song title, artist, album and mode will display as described in the overview.

Push and hold preset 2 again to turn off random play. You can do this in any mode except iPod Direct.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 PM
4th Gear

Great news all around. I think its time for me to bite the bullet on this. I have talked to USA Spec on the phone before, but I'll double-check everything before ordering. I'll report back on how things go with my 07.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:33 PM
dP-
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which proclip did you get? I'm looking to get one for my iPhone, and wanted to know if the cable attachment one's work.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Instructor

The cable attachments work just fine if they match the adapter cable plug.

If not, either the pass through or plain ones are just as good. Though I'd go with the plain one over the pass through, just because the less connections the better.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear

I love the KUDA mount you have (I have a Cadillac CTS-V, and they have one available for my car). Did the ProClip mount directly to the KUDA base? KUDA has their own holders as well, so I was just fishing for some opinions. Do you know of any holders that will hold either an iPhone or an iPod Classic?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Hey Rinse,

You could do it either way. I actually started with DICE holder and mount, which was fairly flimsy and broke on me. I reused the DICE mounting base, attached to the KUDA base, with the ProClip holder. But yes, the proclip holder and mount should go on the KUDA base, no problem.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Proclip holder that I got (LINK: 5th gen. video 30gb/padded-holder that holds USASpec cable) will work with the iPod and iPhone 3GS. The iPhone has to be naked though, no cases or anything on it. It slides in quite easily and fits well enough.

Both work the same with the USASpec adapter. Score!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

Perfect! That's just the info I was looking for...Thanks so much for the help...
Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
4th Gear

I finally got around to installing the PA15-HON2 in my 07 TSX with factory nav. It's only been 30 minutes, but so far, I couldn't be happier. Everything has Just Worked. I get text on the nav screen as well as the upper display. I've tried an old iPod mini and my iPhone 3G with no issues. Sound quality is excellent.

Right now I have the CD holder removed with everything sitting in its place. Once I'm happy with the DIP switch settings and everything else, I'll run the cable to the center console and tuck the iPod away in there.

Thanks for your help, sergeremi.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:17 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mshake
I finally got around to installing the PA15-HON2 in my 07 TSX with factory nav. It's only been 30 minutes, but so far, I couldn't be happier. Everything has Just Worked. I get text on the nav screen as well as the upper display. I've tried an old iPod mini and my iPhone 3G with no issues. Sound quality is excellent.

Right now I have the CD holder removed with everything sitting in its place. Once I'm happy with the DIP switch settings and everything else, I'll run the cable to the center console and tuck the iPod away in there.

Thanks for your help, sergeremi.
Did you have any issues with the skip/seek button working properly on this? I have an 07 w/o nav and just installed this unit and I'm unable to advance through folders properly using the button.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mwp98223
Did you have any issues with the skip/seek button working properly on this? I have an 07 w/o nav and just installed this unit and I'm unable to advance through folders properly using the button.
I haven't used folder mode. I usually use preset 4 (All Songs), on random. I haven't had problems with the skip/seek or any other buttons. I typically just use the Channel Up/Down buttons on the steering wheel to change songs.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:30 PM
3rd Gear

Hey
do you lose XM radio after the installation?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Instructor

No you shouldn't. I did not. What will happen though is when you have the iPod in it works off your XM1 presets so you will lose that functionality but you can still switch to your XM2 presets and still get your XM radio feed.

Disconnect the iPod completely and you should get both XM presets available again.

Originally Posted by chris19890101
Hey
do you lose XM radio after the installation?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:05 PM
4th Gear

will this work for the iphone4?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Instructor

You'll probably have to contact USA Spec on that one or take a chance and test it for yourself.

Even if they say yes, it might be suspect. Many gremlins with all these aftermarket gizmos tapping into OEM software.